Start by marking “Paper Planes and Other Things We Lost: A Standalone Pen Pal Romance” as Want to Read:
Paper Planes and Other Things We Lost: A Standalone Pen Pal Romance

Paper Planes and Other Things We Lost: A Standalone Pen Pal Romance

(Paper Planes #1)

On June 18, 1992, Flight 397 crashed off the coast of Long Island. But this story isn’t about the crash. Not completely.

RUBY
My senior year begins a little differently than I planned. My mom wasn’t supposed to be dead. The likelihood of dying in a plane crash is one in five million. I guess she had to be part of the unlucky few.

No one understands my grief. So, I write a let
ebook
Published June 6th 2016 by Smashwords (first published June 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Paper Planes and Other Things We Lost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paper Planes and Other Things We Lost

Start your review of Paper Planes and Other Things We Lost: A Standalone Pen Pal Romance
Inge
Dec 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Paper Planes and Other Things We Lost sounded like a pretty sad story. I don't really do sad stories - but I took a chance in a giveaway and won a copy. If not, I would've lost out on a gem of a story.

It was genuine, it was heartfelt, and I was truly enamoured by the correspondence between Ruby and Brett. How they came into each other's lives was really sad, but something beautiful blossomed, and it was lovely to see that grow. Both characters (and other characters such as Amber) felt so real to
Sam! at the bookstore
Rating: 5 stars!

What happens when paper-plane pen-pals pine for parents?

You get a beautiful story that rips your heart out of your chest a few dozen times, then sticks it back into your chest in hopes that it will heal before the sequel.

But in all seriousness- I loved this book. I read it in one day, staying late into the night to find out what would happen. I'm reviewing Paper Planes and Other Things We Lost 23 days later, so instead of writing a long-winded review I'll just put down a few note
Mandy (I Read Indie) Anderson
I haven’t told her there’s this girl in California who makes me feel the same things she does using only words.

This book brought back sooo many memories for me and me Jr High days. I had a pen pal that to this day I am still friends with. I still talk to him regularly and share in the joys of his life, wife and child. So, when reading this book, my emotions were overwhelmed in such an amazing way. As you get older you tend to put memories of the past to the side in favor of the new ones that
Paula  Phillips
Apr 23, 2017 rated it liked it
On June 18, 1992, a plane crashed off Long Island and many families lost loved ones as there were no survivors. This isn't the story about the crash or the victims that lost their lives in the plane crash but the story of those who were left behind. The families of the victims that died in the plane crash. Two families in particular. Ruby Kaminski, lost her mother in the plane crash and her dad ended up in a depressed state. Now with her Nana trying to keep the household together, Ruby moves fr ...more
Pari
4.5 stars!

I received an eARC by RedCoat PR in exchange for an honest review.

A story about losing loved ones. A story about finding new love.

Through letters.

As if the whole plot line wasn't perfect already, the book ended beautifully.

It had an amazing story, with some marvellous characters and beautiful writing. I have recently gotten around to writing letters and I completely understand their minds. Each letter that Brett and Ruby wrote together was like an offering of a piece their soul to ea
Renee
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with Brett and Amber the fabulous main characters in this novel. They are twins and the authors bring up the similarities but dont overdo it. The reason is clear, a plane crashes, for fate connecting Brett, his twin Amber to Ruby. It is a well thought out plot. A really good addition to the NA drama category. Its a nice clean read with a huge heart.
MGM,has a partner and I'm really glad
I just bought book two, Cole has a story and I wanna know
Heather
Jun 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a phoenix. A love that comes from tragedy. How is it possible to fall in love with someone you have never meant? Letters almost everyday,pictures here and there, but some how you open up and tell each other everything.

Ruby and Brett find solace in each other when tragedy hits both there families. At first its just pen pals who need someone who can tell them they are not alone. Then it becomes more without either realizing its happening. Yet they have never met.

I loved this book fro
Jane Curry
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow. What can I say other than grab your tissues and prepare for your heart to feel warm and full.

I don't cry at books, ever. Snape confessing his Always undying love for Lily only provoked a single tear out of me. Epic, harrowing tales where our fearless heroine gives her life to save all of humanity gets not even the beginnings from me. But this book, this book ripped all the tears out of my eyes and I cried, ugly and hard and long. It was cleansing and refreshing and my heart feels so full a
Elsie
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book deserves so many stars. I loved it!!! I can't believe it took me soo long to read it. It was a beautiful story about loss and finding happiness after. Brett and Ruby are so sweet its impossible not to love them. The way they met it was just so pretty, I loved the letters, the anticipation they felt, how things grew.

There's no unnecessary drama here, no hard scenes and I couldn't put it down. I love all this characters, and I can't wait to read the other books in this series.
Mickala
Jun 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was so so good, definitely a 5/5 star book for me. This book follows two teenagers who both lost their parents in a plane crash and connect through writing each other letters. This book gives you so many feelings! I want to write more but feel it's best going in knowing next to nothing. ...more
Farida
ARC Provided by Author

Really great story with developed characters. I loved the genuine connection between Brett and Ruby. There was a great flow and never a boring moment. However, the cheesiness at the end was a bit much for me, which is why I knocked down a star.
Laura's Book Addiction
"I don’t want to be sad about what’s to come. I don’t want to regret meeting you in paper planes."

If I had one word to describe this book it would be 'Aww'. I so enjoyed Ruby & Brett's PoVs and their touching story.
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this! Ruby and Brett's story is so unique and heartbreaking, but gush-worthy at the same time. ...more
Amanda Louder
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet story!

I really enjoyed this! It was such a cute story! Very very clean but plenty of romance. I laughed and cried!
Saptarshi Prachi
May 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
What do I say about this book? Besides the fact that I am in love with the cover (who wouldn't be?), I knew from the very beginning since I read the summary that this was going to be one of those books that breaks your heart a little bit, and yet still has you smiling, laughing, and gushing over the most sweetest things ever.

This is one of those stories that stays with you long after you finish. It's one of those books that you want to go back and re-read almost immediately after finishing it, b
Noha
There was a popular tweet that was shared in tumblr that says "I'm into long distance relationship because how could you believe that out of 8 billion people in the world, your soul mate 15 minutes from you?" !! Reading this novel may confirm this theory!!

What are the chances of two teeangers to lose their parents in a plane crash? As a wanderlust, I always avoid statistics like that! Living in Riyadh, I spent three years riding a plane going back and forth to my home city and I could not ha
Jessica Surgett
May 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I've been a fan of Michele and Mindy for years, and I was so excited to hear they were teaming up on a book. Their writing flows so well together. Michele is a master at creating angst ridden characters that tear your heart to pieces, and Mindy is the queen of quirky characters and plot twists I never see coming. Together they have created a wonderful story full of all those things and more.
Brett made my heart ache and swoon, while Ruby is hilariously witty and genuine. All the characters are w
Angie
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was my first read from either of the authors. I've met them several times at a few signings and discovered we were all in a mutual author group. Very cool.

I thoroughly enjoyed this read. I love the idea of it. I messaged Michele throughout my read of this one. I fell for Brett Pratt! Who doesn't want a boyfriend like him?

I adore Ruby too! She's a great girl and knows exactly what she wants in life.

Looking forward to the next installment in this series!
Danielle Young
Jun 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just finished reading a book that may have torn my heart open. It brought back a lot of memories and pain. But the story, Paper Planes by Michele G Miller and Mindy Hayes is so freaking fantastic that I could not read it. I would endure all of my old memories and emotions to feel the hope that this book gives again. Wonderfully done ladies. Now I am going to drown my sorrows in food.
April
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Oh my gosh. I suddenly want a Pen pal.
Aurora Bennet
Jan 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Is it worth to read it?
The answer is yes!

I really like the relationship between the lover in this book. It is so simple without too much drama (of course a little drama won’t hurt anybody, aren’t our real life full of dramas?)

I like how positive they are for surviving the grief of their parents.

I like how understanding Hope is. She is a good person.

I like how Ruby is so optimist in her life & knows a lot of random facts.

I like that Brett is a responsible brother & talented in art.

I like how
Heather
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Brett & Ruby ♥️♥️♥️ Paper Planes by Mindy Van Wagenen Hayes & Michele G Miller. If you want a rollercoaster of a ride book, this is it. I became instantly sucked into their story and didn't want it to end. I loved all the facts I learned from Ruby. ...more
Alla
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
That one was a little gem!
Stormi (Bewitched Reader)
Paper Planes and Other Things We Lost is not only an amazing love story, but a poignant story of loss and healing. Ruby's quirkiness and her cursing polish grandmother were two of my favorite characters. The prose and story are both captivating and beautiful. I think Miller and Hayes may be my favorite writing partnership to date!
Even though this is the first book in a series, it can be read as a standalone.
Iris Irina
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Different story

I really enjoyed this book because it has a different and unusual storyline, it was refreshing.
The characters are well constructed and very interesting. It kinds of left me sad for finishing the book but I'm sure I will read the other standalone books in this collection.
Taylor Freeman
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was so beautiful I'm struggling to find the words. Brett and Ruby lost so much and their story was so raw. This story is a journey about healing and love.

I first picked up this book because I say that Michele was one of the writers. I loved her book From The Wreckage. It tugged on all my heart strings. This book she wrote with Mindy is no different. Paper Planes and Other Things We Lost is simply an amazing story.

Michele and Mindy's writing has a way of dragging you in. They were abl
Janice
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Easy read. I loved the premise. Likely will read others in the series.
Jessica Brooks
Big thanks to Red Coat PR (and Michele and Mindy) for a free copy of Paper Planes and Other Things We Lost (hopefully this will be available in PB eventually, because I'd love to have this gorgeous cover on my shelves).

Being as I was a huge fan of Michele's From the Wreckage series, I couldn't wait to dig in to PPaoTWL as soon as I saw the blurb. First of all, the cover is SO CUTE. Second, the premise is intriguing, and the whole guy/girl/loss/letters thing sounds like the perfect formula. I l
Karmin
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was automatically inthralled with this story. The chemistry between Brett and Ruby is priceless. The story line stole my heart. As a parent it is our biggest fear to leave our children. This story made me believe that there is goodness in the world and that no matter what love persists. I am happy to say that I will continue reading the standalone series.
Rupali
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I absolutely loved everything about this book! Starting from the pretty cover, which was very thoughtful, and the title, to the beautiful story.

*inserts multiple hearts for this book*
Goodreads Librari...: Update book cover - Paper Planes 1 9 Sep 22, 2020 10:21AM
Goodreads Librari...: Fix incorrect author name spelling 2 18 Apr 02, 2018 08:46AM

• Credence
  • The Prince's Bargain (The Elves of Lessa, #3)
  • Reign of Magic (The Fairy Tale Enchantress, #3)
  • Ruin Me
  • You Say It First
  • Common Ground: A North and South Continuation (Margaret of Milton, #1)
  • By a Thread
  • Pemberley: Mr. Darcy's Dragon (Jane Austen's Dragons, #1)
  • Longbourn: Dragon Entail: A Pride and Prejudice Variation (Jane Austen's Dragons Book 2)
  • Netherfield: Rogue Dragon: A Pride and Prejudice Variation (Jane Austen's Dragons Book 3)
  • Masquerade (Love's Enchanted Tales, #3)
  • Mr. Darcy's Persistent Pursuit: A Pride and Prejudice Variation (Longbourn Unexpected Book 1)
  • Love's Fool: The Taming of Lydia Bennet: What Happened After Mr. Darcy's Persistent Pursuit (Longbourn Unexpected Book 2)
  • Where the Blame Lies (Where, #1)
  • Curse of Magic (The Fairy Tale Enchantress, #2)
  • Extraordinary Means
  • From the Wreckage (From the Wreckage, #1)
  • Hate Thy Neighbor
Pen name of Mindy Hayes and Michele G.
Miller

We're pretty awesome! We both write books. We both live in the Carolina's (Mindy in South, Michele in North). We like singing in the car, eating white cheddar popcorn, and going on road trips together. You'll find us sharing a table at a few book signings each year. We have a love of romance, New York, anything sweet, and great books.

Paper Planes (3 books)