Start by marking “Pieces (Patchwork, #1)” as Want to Read:
Pieces (Patchwork, #1)

Pieces

(Patchwork #1)

In New York City, an underground society of supernatural beings exists, hidden among everyday humans. They don’t know of our activities or any of our secrets.

The districts of the Works are made up of vampires, wolves, shifters, witches, and I’m in the fifth and arguably most important district, the Patchwork. My father is the leader of our group, and he oversees all of th
Published June 27th 2016

To ask other readers questions about Pieces, please sign up.
A.D. Justice It's not a cliffhanger, but it's not the full story either. The ending leaves you satisfied just enough with the events in book one to want more in…moreIt's not a cliffhanger, but it's not the full story either. The ending leaves you satisfied just enough with the events in book one to want more in the next book. (less)

Christy
Jun 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
4 stars!

photo 0AE01CC8-F6EC-4D0F-8F1C-5C5E844679A2_zpszvyfhzjy.jpg

I am a huge fan of Toni Aleo's. Her hockey books are my all time favorite sports romances, so when I heard she was writing a PNR, I jumped at the chance to read it. The best thing about Pieces is that it was unlike any other paranormal book I’ve read. In every genre and even sub-genre, it seems like the book market is saturated with the same type of stories over and over again. When I finish a book and my first thought is ‘Wow, I haven’t ever read something like that before,’ I count t
Maya
description

“You treat me like a fucking baby. I’m stronger than most, and I’m human. What does that even say? Don’t know? Let me tell you,” I yell, going toe-to-toe with him. “That I’m a fucking badass!” With that, Oceanus pushes me so hard, I fall back and do two rolls, landing on my face with a hard oomph.

...And on that note I'm out! I tried to finish this story, I really did but, man, the heroine is so immature and annoying it's simply impossible to read another page of her stupidity. All the other c
Carrie
Jun 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
In New York City there is an underground society of supernatural beings known as the Works. It's made up of five distinct groups consisting of vampires, werewolves, shifters, witches and the Patchwork. Rebecca von Stein is a member of the Patchwork with her father being the leader of the Patchwork and he oversees all of the Works. The Patchwork are descendants of Dr. Frankenstein.

Rebecca has been kept locked in their mansion for the past three years while her father runs experiment after experi
Eve Recinella (Between The Bookends)
ARC received from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

Well this book was certainly original...

I'm feeling a bit "middle road" about this one to be honest. I thought the plot was very original and interesting. There is some good World building, and a lot potential for more story via a plethora of interesting secondary characters.

What took this from a solid four star read, to a "I'm being generous" three star read was Rebecca. She comes across SO incredibly whiny and immature. Her repeated
Jun 16, 2016 added it
Shelves: netgalley
DNF 20%.

This is personal preference issue. There are many readers who will probably love this book.

I had trouble connecting with the characters. The writing style just wasn’t clicking with me.

I tried :(.

I won’t rate this because I did not read the whole book.

ARC courtesy of publisher/netgalley in exchange for an honest review
♡Julalicious Book Paradise♡
Original review on Julalicious Book Paradise

I will admit that when I started reading this book, I wasn't sure if I would enjoy it or not. It took me a few more chapters before really getting into the story. But once I was hooked in, it was hard to stop reading it.

Rebecca's life is anything but ordinary even for her world. She is forced to stay inside the mansion for her own protection and she has really overprotective relatives and bodyguard. Even if she does complain about this, you have to giv
Kate's Corner
Opening sentence:

One shot to the heart, and unlike him or my brothers, I would bleed, and they wouldn't be able to bring me back. Because I'm only half a descendeant of Dr Frankenstein.

3 Being a ninja is hard stars.

Where this plot is interesting with Frankenstein and his descendants and I was fully emerged in the story. Okay so I did skim a bit because Rebekkah ramblings were like a broken record. Although Rebekkah is meant to be nearly twenty this had a very strong YA vibe to it. I love the w
Becca - Wicked Quests of a BookNinja
description

Okay, so what the hell? I didn't see that coming. I mean, really, the queen of hockey writing about vampires, werewolves and Dr. Frankenstein's descendants? Let me be a little sceptical. And after I read it, let me apologize for it. This book was a fresh wave. I devoured it. It took me only one night to finish it because this story didn't let me go. I'm sitting here trying to put together the pieces - not funny - but I can't. I want to read more books like this one. Just keep it up, Toni!

I will
Future Slayer Girl
Amazing....

This book was actually amazing and got me out of my reading slump. Unique, and clever; I was engaged from the beginning and couldn't put it down... even when I had to work. Each character pop out of the pages and came alive for me.

The only downside, it looks like there was never a book two! And it ended on a cliffhanger! I'm dying! I hope she lets us have their story ending soon!
Erin
Jun 21, 2016 rated it liked it
3 - 3.5 stars. I can't decide.

This was a slow pick up for me which is part of the reason I can't decide on a solid rating. It should probably get 4 stars just based on originality, but the beginning is what is keeping me from rating it that. It's labeled as NA, but at times I felt like it was YA. I'm super on the fence about this one, can ya tell?

I think the plot was good. Honestly, if you like PNR-UF books, I'm pretty certain you'll also like this one. What killed it for me was the heroine. I
Kristen Burns
2.5 Stars

Full Review:
*I received a free ecopy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.*

I considered not even reading this once I actually opened it up because the main character's voice just wasn't for me, but in the end I was glad I gave it a chance. I don't plan to continue the series, but it did have some good aspects. I'm going to start with what I didn't like though because it'll make more sense that way.

What I Disliked:

- Rebekah was almost 20 but sounded like an immatur
✿kawehi.reviews
Jun 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
☆ I received an ARC via the author in exchange for an honest review. Thank you! ☆

3.5 stars!!

FB-COVER-01-01-1-1024x768

There was a fair mixture of pros and cons within this read. While I liked the fresh, out of the box feel that author Toni Aleo is now experimenting with—some of the dialogues and concepts felt a bit convoluted, forced, and all over the place. Not to mention, the female heroine was kind of a whiner and a tad annoying.

Over all though, I liked the parallel of all the paranormal entities brought forth into th
Carmen Rae
Jun 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
I’m not really sure what I was expecting when I opened this book. I have read a few of the hockey books from Toni Aleo and they were pretty hot and steamy and I read the blurb for this and it sounded interesting so I immediately put my hand up for an ARC. And I can honestly say what I got definitely wasn’t what I was expecting.

Firstly I have to say, the world building in this was awesome, the whole concept of the book has me so intrigued to read more and see where everyone is going to go. And I
Once
Jul 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
The story: Pieces is about the crazy life of Rebekah von Stein, a descendant of Dr Frankenstein. Her father, William, and her brothers are over bearing and SOOO protective over her that she is basically a prisoner in their home. She is only able to go next door to work in a bar her family owns. The story takes place in New York City where her father is the leader of the Patchwork group and is also the leader of all the other groups: vampires, wolves, shifters and witches.

The likes: the story sta
Georgina Parkin
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Jess the Romanceaholic
I'm writing this review from my phone, so please excuse any autocorrect fails haha

I pre-ordered this book back when I first heard about it, because while I'd never read anything by this author (I'm just not that into contemporary romance), I follow her on Facebook and have really enjoyed her personality and posts.

Let's start with the few things that weren't really for me..

* The extremely casual first person POV was a little hard for me to get into at the beginning.
* Our heroine constantly comp
The BookChick
One of my favorite genres to read is paranormal romance. For me an enjoyable PNR must contain a engaging storyline, an intriguing plot, multidimensional characters, and some "fan your face" sexy moments. Toni Aleo's debut release in The Patchwork series rings all of those bells for me. Pieces is the story of Rebecca vonStein, a defendant of Dr. Frankenstein. This story is unlike any Frankenstein tale you've read, moreover, its uniqueness is a breath of fresh air in a genre that rarely has a stan ...more
Suzi (Obsessive Reading Disorder)
Paranormal is my go to first love of Romance books so add in a super hot Hockey Romance writer and I'm on it! Thrilled to see Toni Aleo venture out to a new genre. And hold on because she NAILS this!

I love books that give me all the beasties. In Pieces we see Shifters, Vampires, Witches, Frankenstein's descendants and Wolves. There is mention of humans but we don't come across any in this story. After getting the lay of the world, I really felt this was almost dystopian in nature. Things have e
Eleanor
3 Patchwork Stars

I'm really going to try to keep this review spoiler free. I went into this book, thinking "I haven't read Paranormal in so long, Am I going to like this." I'm a huge Toni Aleo fan and I love her Assassins Series like so much!

I have to be honest here, I wasn't feeling this book. Which was a little disappointing. It just didn't click for me. There where so many points in this book where I thought "What is up with this girl!" I wanted to knock her out or something. Yeah no this w
Mindy Lou's Book Review
Rebekah is the daughter of one of Frakenstein's descendents, william and a human mother. William has created a formula to transform him, his brother and their offspring into immortals, except for Rebekah. The formula does not work on her and her body is dying. Willam has been keeping her alive by giving her new body parts. Her family has her locked away from the world until they can find a new formula to make her immortal. Throw in the love of a shifter that is forbidden and other shifters wanti ...more
Jennifer Dicenzo
Jun 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I am starting to realize that there isn't any type of book that Toni Aleo can't write. And while this one doesn't have any element of hockey in it, I loved it all the same. This books is every bit of supernatural, paranormal with emotion and love thrown in. The dynamics of the relationships between Rebekah and her father and brothers, her interactions with Killian. All just so amazingly written! If you are a fan of Toni and her writing, you will love every word of this book!
I was given an ARC o
Ash Luna
May 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"I loved this book it was phenomenal.I could not put it down for anything. I held my breath for most of it and still didn't fully exhale when it was over! The end was left with a bit of a cliffhanger and it has me wanting so much more!
Brenda Rothert
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this story from start to finish! Can't wait for the next book in the series.
Ava
Mar 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: pnr
I really really have an extra hard time to finish this one. One Month!!!
There were many interested background topics, quite interesting but this book was quite boring or something that couldn't make me go through of it, but the last third was quite interesting, uproar...
I liked the characters, all of them.
The female character was young but her heart was beautiful.
Then the main story was quite surprising.
Sadly, it was missing something to speed it up, spice it up.
(Do I look forward for the
Beth
Well that was something I just wasn’t expecting! I can’t believe this is the same author that writes my beloved hockey series about the Nashville Assassins and Bellevue Bullies! I wouldn’t have dreamed that she would write paranormal!

Well let me tell you this story is something so different than any other paranormal book that I have read. Yes, it has vampires, wolves, witches, and shifters; but the addition of the Patchwork as another society of the supernatural, intriguing! Even more intriguin
Nicole
Jun 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Hold up wait a minute! Did I just devour this book like a piece of chocolate cake? YUP! I am absolutely floored by this new path Toni has decided to take with “Pieces”, book one in her Patchwork Series. I mean Rebekah von Stein is a bad a$$ descendant of Dr. Frankenstein, but she is fiercely protected by her brothers, Cyrus, Oceanus, and Jonas, not to mention JJ (aka her shadow). These brothers are so devoted to keeping their sister safe it is endearing. I love the banter between the four of the ...more
Martha
Jun 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rebekah von Stein lives in the Works an underground supernatural society that exist in New York. It's made up of five sections vampires, wolves, shifters, witches, and the patchworks. As a descendant of Dr. Frankenstein, her father is the leader of the Patchworks and oversees all the other sections in the Works, making her a princess of sorts. She may seem like she has everything and she does but what she lacks is her freedom. She can't leave her home. She has a bodyguard 24/7 and her father tes ...more
Amber Boyd
Jun 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Holy freakin crap! I mean seriously! I don't even usually like paranormal reads but this book drew me in from the start and I couldn't put it down! Twists, turns, intrigue, romance and humor. Toni Aleo is covering all the bases in her first foray into the paranormal waters that she adores.

The Works is definitely an interesting world and I can't wait to see what happens next in this series, because I must say Rebekah Von Stein is sassy and wonderful. I loved the almost love hate relationship she
Jerilyn
Aug 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Katie
ARC received via NetGalley

This was a refreshing book to read. It isn't your typical paranormal story and, because of that it was an interesting and enjoyable book to read.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Chain Reaction (8th Wing, #2)
  • Zakk (Las Vegas Sidewinders #6)
  • Once Upon a Midnight
  • Bittersweet Darkness (The Order, #3)
  • Masked (Masked, #1)
  • Hades (Modern Descendants, #1)
  • Queen of Swords (Sanctify, #1)
  • Sold (Alien Space Pirates, #2)
  • Alpha
  • The Darkest Day (Immortal Heat, #1)
  • Her Guardians (Her Guardians Trilogy, #1)
  • Princess From The Shadows (The Santina Crown, #6)
  • Night Forbidden (Envy Chronicles, #5)
  • Night Shift 2
  • Kiss of Darkness (Dark Bonds, #1)
  • Devil In My Arms (The Saint's Devils, #3)
  • Hunter
  • Something Like Voodoo
T. Aleo is the penname for Toni Aleo.

Patchwork (3 books)
  • Broken Pieces (Patchwork #1.5)
  • Pieced together (Patchwork #2)