Start by marking “Ace of Shades (The Shadow Game, #1)” as Want to Read:
Ace of Shades (The Shadow Game, #1)

Ace of Shades

(The Shadow Game #1)

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  5,269 ratings  ·  1,486 reviews
Welcome to the City of Sin, where casino families reign, gangs infest the streets…and secrets hide in every shadow.

Enne Salta was raised as a proper young lady, and no lady would willingly visit New Reynes, the so-called City of Sin. But when her mother goes missing, Enne must leave her finishing school—and her reputation—behind to follow her mother’s trail to the city whe
Published April 10th 2018 by Harlequin Teen

To ask other readers questions about Ace of Shades, please sign up.
Cooper -Live_Love_Read- I didn't think it was like Six of Crows at all. The only aspects that were slightly similar was the gangs and crime, otherwise, it was very different.

Emily May
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc, fantasy, young-adult, 2018
Despite Enne’s flaws - namely that she was mucking annoying - she knew how to weasel in and out of a conversation.

You know what else is mucking annoying? Made up curse words like mucking! Fictional profanity almost always has me laughing (and not in a good way) but it was especially bad here because “mucking” is almost “fucking” but also hilariously… not.

But let's not get hung up on language. The bigger problem is that Ace of Shades is Six of Crows's shallower, less interesting sibling. It wis
Emma Giordano
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I LOOOOOOVED Ace of Shades so much. What an exhilarating, fantastical start to a fantasy series!

CW: violence, pedophilia (it’s totally condemned in the story)

I adore Amanda Foody’s writing style. It is so descriptive and easy to engage with. The entire time I felt as if I was traveling New Reynes alongside Enne and Levi. The world is extremely vivid and atmospheric. The history of the world was a tad difficult for me to retain at first because there’s quite a lot of info and it is ALL so importa
شيماء ✨
a fantasy Vegas setting. magic. murder. an orphan girl wandering into the City of Sin. a black bisexual gang boss who gets asked why his closet is full of girl dresses and men clothes that don’t even fit him, and casually goes, “yeah well the boys and girls I sleep with sometimes leave their clothes behind what’s up”

you really do want to read this book.

(on a side note, I genuinely don't understand why this book keeps getting compared to six of crows. the only slight similarity is that both books
destiny ♎ [howling libraries]
When this book’s synopsis first started circulating the YA book community, I was unspeakably excited for it. A book about dangerous gangs and gambling, with a bi young man of color as one of the protagonists? Sign me up! Unfortunately, this book suffered the same problem I have with the author’s debut, Daughter of the Burning City—it has a lot of cool ideas at play, but the execution leaves a little bit to be desired.

The photograph of Luckluster Casino matched the stories of New Reynes: red lig
Shreya (☆High Lady of The Night Court☆)
This is one of the most interesting books I've read in my life. Its has the feel of Caraval and Six of Crows all mixed together with a hint of fantasy. AMAZING and maybe even going on my favorites list. I'm in shock I can't get over how great this book is. The whole concept is fascinating and kept my interest peaked at all times. The writing is amazing, the world is very well thought out and the City of Sin is one of the most exciting places I've read about. I like this more than Daughter of The ...more
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I was so glad to get this book in my Owlcrate! Click on link below picture to see the unboxing.

THE STUFF

Well, I'm freaking bummed! I loved Daughter of the Burning City but this book didn't do it for me. Oh well, hopefully I will love her next book like I did her debut book!

Happy Reading!

Mel 🖤🐾🐺
Melanie

“The City of Sin was a game, but not everyone was a player.”

Ace of Shades was for sure not what I was expecting. Some said it was like one of my favorite series of all time, Six of Crows, but I didn’t see that. A lot of people said it had a setting like the city I live in currently, Vegas, and I suppose I see it, but it is a stretch and for sure a very big fantastical interpretation and based on every stereotype you think of when you think of Vegas (which are mostly all untrue). I mean, mayb
C.G. Drews
Right. So I've found my new book to be so utterly and absolutely OBSESSED WITH. I need at least four dozen heart eyes and sixty-two stars, is all I'm saying. This book is like an ode to Slytherin schemes and my little heart is just beating so fast. It's twisty and madly addictive and the characters are ones I absolutely love love love. I'm sobbing. Do not mind me. This is a good one.

(And yes I did like 540 status updates while reading it and I AM NOT ASHAMED.)

+ The first thing to know is that th
Chelsea Humphrey
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
2.5 STARS

No one is more disappointed than I am that this rating is anything less than 5 STARS. I went in wholly expecting to adore this story; the cover is gorgeous and the comparisons to Six Of Crows had me cautiously fangirling over this book from the moment I knew of it's existence. Throw in the fact that I absolutely loved Daughter Of The Burning City last year and I was completely sold. Unfortunately, this one just didn't work for me.

I'm not here to deter anyone from picking this up, as I
✨    jamieson   ✨
she was a pistol wrapped in silk.
she was a blade disguised as a girl

alright alright alright listen up, listen here. This book is a whole lotta fun and I thoroughly enjoyed it! In fact I'm eagerly awaiting the official release so I can read a completed physical edition.

WHAT IS ACE OF SHADES?
🃏 a dark, complex, fantasy world where gangs run the streets and lure unsuspecting visitors into their gambling parlours, where crime rules and turf wars brew and at the heart of it all, a deadly history n
Catriona (LittleBookOwl)
Apr 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
Rating: 3.5 stars

I will be doing a full spoiler-free review soon!

Review copy provided by publisher in exchange for an honest review.
jessica
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
to compare this to ‘six of crows’ has been a disservice to not only the reader, but to both books, as well. it sets an impossibly high standard, one that will only lead to disappointment. having seen a lot of negative reviews in regards to how this book was pitched and the comparisons made, i decided to go into this with a completely open mind and no expectations whatsoever - which i think is the only thing you can do in this particular situation. and it completely paid off because i quite liked ...more
Lia  (a paper pigeon)
Levi stood up and reached for his hat on the table.
“Where are you going?” Enne asked.
“Out. There are volts to make and people to cheat.”
He flashed her a smile. She was lucky he hadn’t cheated her.
He was feeling sentimental today.

Attempt #2 of reading this book didn't disappoint.
I'm kind of relieved to announce that, with a cover and a premise like that, Amanda Foody's Ace of Shades delievers what it promises.
Nothing more and nothing less than that, but it surely give its reader what the r
Candace Robinson
So if Six of Crows gave birth to a baby, this would be that baby. I thought Ace of Shades was a great start to the series. I really liked these characters. Enne and Levi are no Kaz and Inej, but I still loved them and their distinct personalities, especially Enne's cookie eating fetish!

The world building was unique, and the author's writing drew me in right away. Plus, talk of game cards, acrobatics, and magic, I was then completely sold. The book's romance is more on the side, but I was annoyed
Lola
Mar 06, 2018 rated it did not like it
New Reynes is the City of Sin with lots of casinos and shady activity…

So Las Vegas? ACE OF SHADES is not as original as it thinks it is.
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting story, quite unlike anything else I've read before. Really enjoyed my time reading this one.
Lily ☁️
2 1/2 stars

I solemnly swear that I shall read this without any thoughts lingering on Six of Crows, as in: sans bias.

Blog ¦ Bloglovin’ ¦ Tumblr ¦ Instagram
Nadhira Satria
May 06, 2018 rated it did not like it
bleh too slow
⚔ Silvia ⚓
I was sent this book as an advanced copy by the publisher via Edelweiss for reviewing purposes, but all opinions are my own.

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH this book was such a pleasant surprise!!! I haven't read the author's debut yet so I didn't know what to expect, but now I'm looking forward to both continuing the series and keeping an eye out for whatever else she published (as well as reading DotBC).

Worldbuilding

The story takes place in New Reynes, a town split in two, and specifically almost
Hamad
May 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Hamad by: Lily ☁️
A BR with Lily!

Sadly DNF @ page 150
I almost finished day 2 but I can't continue this book, let alone a whole trilogy!
I had one thought while reading this: that it sounded like it was written by an accountant. Guess what? It is! I came here to check the author, only to find out that she has an M.A degree in accountancy and a Bachelors of Arts in English Literature.

You know that I like to support new and trending authors but the writing style just is not for me, if you are like me and read this be
Beth
ALL OF THE STARS!

"Some say the City of Sin is a game, so before you arrive - ask yourself, dear reader, how much are you prepared to lose?"
- The City of Sin, a guidebook: Where To Go and Where Not To

MY GOD, this. This was goooooooooooooood! I am so happy, I've been waiting for this for the such a long time. I really enjoyed Amanda Foody and Daughter of the Burning City, so Ace of Shades was highly anticipated for me. I was so nervous going into this, because every time I desperately want to like
joanna ☽ the little brown fairy
Do not believe their smiles. Do not stray into their lairs. Or you may never come out again.

3.75 stars. if you just want to know if this book is like six of crows, click here.

This is one of those books which I got really, really excited for, even when it wasn't released yet. Normally, I don't let a book’s popularity affect my reading -- or if it does, it's in a positive way, like how I anticipated The Cruel Prince forever and, truthfully, probably loved it just a little more because of the hyp
Carrie
Apr 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss
Ace of Shades by Amanda Foody is the first book of the young adult fantasy The Shadow Game series. I saw a lot of comparisons to Six of Crows before I began to read this one and my first hope was that it wouldn’t have that same slow pace as Six of Crows but of course, yes, it did. They are rather similar in having that slow build, darker young adult tale.

The book begins as Enne Salta arrives in New Reynes or what is better known as the City of Sin. Enne’s adoptive mother had often visited New Re
Rae
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
BR with my twin Scrill
Veronica ⭐️
The Burgeoning Bookshelf
Once I got past all the politics at the start of the book I really enjoyed it. At first I was thinking New Reynes was some dystopian town with casinos, gang lords, corrupt officials and an overzealous policing system then I realised it was much like any major city today only with a slight magical element, an urban fantasy.
”Some say the City of Sin is a game, so before you arrive – ask yourself, dear reader, how much are you prepared to lose?” – The City of Sin, a Guidebo
Lily ☁️
This book keeps getting compared to Six of Crows, but honestly … that’s just going to make the disappointment even more devastating, when everyone realizes it wishes it could even come close to Six of Crows’ level of brilliance. (I’m obviously not at all biased.)

tl;dr: let’s find out just how much it pales in comparison. 🙃

// buddy read with this dude

Blog ¦ Bloglovin’ ¦ Tumblr ¦ Instagram
Natalie Monroe
Mar 21, 2018 marked it as to-read
If Levi Glaisyer doesn't sate my thirst for more Kaz Brekker, I'm suing the publisher for false advertising.

Elise (TheBookishActress)
it is with a heavy heart I must announce that I just don’t care about anything that happened in this book

review to come!!
ellias
Nov 16, 2017 marked it as to-read
DAMN.
What a cover.
Amanda Foody has always considered imagination to be our best attempt at magic. After spending her childhood longing to attend Hogwarts, she now loves to write about immersive settings and characters grappling with insurmountable destinies. Currently, she works as a tax accountant in Philadelphia, PA, surrounded by her many siblings and many books.

She is the author of two published novels, DAUGHTE

The Shadow Game (3 books)
  • King of Fools (The Shadow Game, #2)
  • Untitled (The Shadow Game #3)
“She was a pistol wrapped up in silk. She was a blade disguised as a girl.” 26 likes
“Sometimes we're not who we want to be because we're supposed to be something else.” 20 likes