Start by marking “Daughter of the Burning City” as Want to Read:
Daughter of the Burning City

Daughter of the Burning City

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  3,846 ratings  ·  1,187 reviews
Sixteen-year-old Sorina has spent most of her life within the smoldering borders of the Gomorrah Festival. Yet even among the many unusual members of the traveling circus-city, Sorina stands apart as the only illusion-worker born in hundreds of years. This rare talent allows her to create illusions that others can see, feel and touch, with personalities all their own. Her ...more
Published July 25th 2017 by Harlequin Teen

To ask other readers questions about Daughter of the Burning City, please sign up.
Shima There is nothing explicit in the book. There are slight mentions of prostitution and sex but it's really very implicit.
Amanda Foody Not yet! The official release day for the book is July 25, 2017--and now the cover is up!
Lord of Shadows by Cassandra ClareKing's Cage by Victoria AveyardCarve the Mark by Veronica RothCaraval by Stephanie GarberFlame in the Mist by Renée Ahdied
YA Novels of 2017
1,083 books — 7,410 voters
Caraval by Stephanie GarberThe Hate U Give by Angie ThomasWintersong by S. Jae-JonesGilded Cage by Vic JamesBlood Rose Rebellion by Rosalyn Eves
YA Debuts 2017
207 books — 1,543 voters

More lists with this book...

Hailey (HaileyinBookland)
I liked this a lot! It was one of the most unique books I've read in what feels like a while, and the concept was super cool. I loved the added element of a murder mystery, it made it the perfect Halloween read. I was fascinated by the illusions and the magic of the circus, it constantly kept me guessing as I explored this new universe and tried to solve the mystery alongside the MC. Speaking of, I really enjoyed our MC! I liked how driven she was and how despite all the devastating things that ...more
C.G. Drews
May 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was dark and murderous and magical, so basically all of my favourite things. It was so so good, peoples! It was complex and the characters were just incredible (10/10 my favourite new characters) and, even though I guessed the big finale plot twist, I seriously enjoyed this one.

Why aren't all books full of murder and magic. I ask.

+ So it's set in basically a moving circus/carnival.
It's called Gomorrah, which pleases my nerdy heart because that's like a wicked city out of the ancient Bible t
Emma Giordano
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars!!!! I REALLY REALLY LOVED THIS BOOK.
Daughter of the Burning City is a really fabulous debut full of magic, murder, and mystery. It's absolutely a high-suspense "whodunnit" that kept me enthralled from page one.

I was most fascinated by the concept of the story; a girl without eyes who creates illusions that are being killed off? IM SOLD. I also really loved the setting. I think I was expecting the carnival to play more of a role than just the setting, but it wasn't as significant, thou
شيماء ✨
The ultimate goal in life, as I expect for everyone, is for small children to think you're some sort of transcendental, otherworldly magical being but for grown men to fear you. Which makes Sorina Gomorrah the goal. I don’t care in which sense, whatever you’re doing, Sorina Gomorrah is the best ultimate outcome.

So what is this book about?

In the traveling city of Gomorrah—the fabled, magical circus-festival reputed to be a seedy mix of debauchery and sin—adoptive daughter of the owner and bis
Chelsea Humphrey
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Bravo! Well done! Seriously, I can't think of a more unique book in the Young Adult sphere that has felt so relevant in quite some time. How can a fantasy be relevant you ask? Well, this particular story, while clearly a fantasy set in another time and place was completely allegorical to our world today. I was blown away by so many aspects that I think I'll list below the things I loved most about this book, then you can be the judge of whether it may be the right read for you as well.

It's lack
destiny ♎ [howling libraries]
"The smoke is part of Gomorrah's legend: once upon a time, we were burned to the ground. But we did not die. Instead we kept burning, kept moving, kept growing. The smoke surrounds us, even if we no longer burn."

I am such a sucker for books that offer up synopsis phrases like "traveling circus city" and "carnival of debauchery". Like, SIGN ME UP PLEASE? When I first added this one to my TBR several months ago, literally, all I could think was "I AM SO PUMPED" (and also "please don't be another C
emma
I NEED TO SCREAM FROM THE ROOFTOPS THAT I DON’T KNOW HOW TO FEEL ABOUT THIS BOOK AND THIS IS THE CLOSEST I CAN GET TO “SCREAMING” OR “ROOFTOPS” WITHOUT ENTERING THE HORRIBLE WINTER AIR OUTSIDE OR GREATLY STARTLING MY ROOMMATE.

There’s a lot to unpack here, in terms of my emotions. Not in terms of the book - that would be way too close to your actual purpose in reading this am I right???

Emotion number one on this book was EXCITEMENT because CIRCUS BOOK CIRCUS BOOK CIRCUS BOOK. I added this book to
✨    jamieson   ✨
I WOULD DIE FOR MY DEMIROMANTIC ASEXUAL SON LUCA VON RASKE WHOMST I LOVE

MAGIC? check
MYSTERY? yes
MURDER? got it

BASICALLY ALL THE GOOD STUFF IN ONE. Daughter of the Burning City was a book I was supposed to read last year and didn't get to and I'm soo glad I did now because it's dark and
Beth
IT IS FINALLY DONE!

This is without a doubt a mind boggling experience, but honestly I really enjoyed this story and how different this was! It was unlike anything I've previously read. Four stars for Daughter of the Burning City

The basis of the story is that we follow the main character Sorina and her "freak show". This is set in the magical Gomorrah festival. Sorina isn't an everyday character and she creates different illusions to represent her family. Throughout the book we get to see a lot o
Candace Robinson
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’m glad I went back to this one. Although the MC made me mad a couple of times, I liked her. Plus she collects bugs! The illusion concept was cool and so were the descriptions of them. I did guess who the killer way early on, but that didn’t distract me from enjoying the rest.
may ➹
I ?? am really ?? disappointed ?????

I was promised a magical, mysterious carnival festival circus thing. I was promise lots of magic and powers. I was promised an intriguing main character. And what did I get?? None of those!!!!!

🌹 DISLIKES

My main problem with this book is how confusing the whole world was. It dumped all these names on me and nothing was explained??? Maybe I wasn’t paying attention??? Maybe I was skimming from the very beginning???? (Except my BR partner didn’t get it either, so
Shreya (☆High Lady of The Night Court☆)
I've seen reviews giving this book 1,2, 3, 4, and 5 stars so I waited a while before finally picking this book up. The book starts off pretty slow and continues at that pace till about the 17th Chapter, which is a lot considering the book only has a total of 26 chapters. But even though the plot doesn't really move forward for a large portion of the book it allows us room to see more of Gomorrah and learn more about it's struggles as a city most people refer to as a festival of sin.

Sorina, our
may ❀
Yo, I’m back after taking time off to slump and embrace life as a hobo tried it, would definitely recommend

I was v unproductive this week and it consisted of not doing any of the following:
- Review the books I already read
- Review

:) aren’t you proud?

Anyways, im here to kick slumpy!may! in her pants and force her to do something good for herself aka review this book for your loveliness

Soooooooooo, let’s get onto the book.

From the other reviews I’ve seen around, I though
Nina (Every Word A Doorway)
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, arcs

"But you're an illusion," I say. "I created you."
"That doesn't mean I'm not real."

I'd been head over heels for this book ever since reading the premise – a notorious festival, charms and jynxes, illusions that can be killed – and I was beyond excited when our blog was accepted for an electronic ARC of this debut. Well, let's say my heels broke and I fell face-first into the dirt.

Daughter of the Burning City had so much potential, so many brilliant ideas and magical elements which s
Maram
THIS PAPERBACK EDITION IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN THE HARDCOVER ONE!!! WOW, GIMME 😍
bran (brandonthebookaddict)
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-books, i-own
FUCKING FINALLY, I'VE FINISHED THIS BOOK AFTER TWO MONTHS.

Blame it on the s l u m p .

Daughter of the Burning City was an alluring, yet pretentious, and actually a surprising read. Mind you I started this book back in October but thanks to a reading slump of fucking dump, I finally managed to finish this book just now. It didn't really help though, that the major parts of the book trudged slowly through a heavy romance (while trying to solve a murder mystery - albeit, not a very engaging one). I
Sara (sarawithoutanH)
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
2.5/5

I am disappointed that I didn’t like this very much. I didn’t hate all of it.. just a lot of it. It took a very long time for me to finish it.

The Good
- The ideas had a lot of potential. The concept of the book was very original and creative.
- The diversity in the book. The main character is bi and the love interest is on the ace spectrum (demisexual from what I could tell), and one of the side characters is a lesbian.

The Bad
- I did not like the main character, Sorina. I found her to be ve
☙ percy ❧
this was EXACTLY my sort of book. which means, if you know anything about me, that it was weird as hell.

the originality in this book is honestly stunning; it was like nothing i've ever read before. i did get vibes of Seraphina and Pantomime, but they didn't really have much in common at all. (that said, if you liked this book then you'll like those books, so check them out. and vice versa.)

this wasn't just an original high fantasy with the most interesting magic system i've come across in a wh
Jill
Sep 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Full review to come! (: But basically this book was so interesting and unique at some point but also pretty predictable and boring at others... overall pretty average for me.
Dani - Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

Read my discussion if you want to know more about why my opinion is unpopular!

The writing was quite awkward at first and hard to get into... it created this foreboding that made it really hard to keep reading. I had loved this cover for so long that it made me desperately unhappy to not be enjoying this...

A MAJOR problem is Sorina. I really thought she was okay in the beginning but the longer I spent with her the stupider she got. And the more
Crazy4Books
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
If I hadnt Buddy Read this with Jack +The Page Runner+ it would have probably stayed on my TBR shelf for at least another 6 months. Buddy reading added so much to the experience I hope we can do another one in the future. He pointed out some valid inconsistencies that I totally missed. Like someone who has no eyes making eye contact and how unfamilar the main character was with some places of the festival after living there for 13 years. His review goes more into depth than mine so you should de ...more
Zoë ☆
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did it!!! I finished it 🙌🏻
This book was very mysterious and twisted!
But I feel like this is a book you should read all at once, because I really had trouble getting into the story again once I stopped reading a while ago. Maybe on a rainy sunday? ☔
ambsreads
BUDDY READING WITH SOLOSHIT

I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

DNF @ 30%

No full review because this book is really a it's not you, it's me situation. Have some notes:

* I can see why people like this book
* I just don't do carnivals I think: Caraval & The Night Circus weren't my friends so why did I think I'd enjoy this???
* The pretty cover is not reason enough it seems
* And the fact the author seems like an incredible person
* I just don't get the concept (that'
Kate (GirlReading)
Sep 24, 2017 rated it liked it
I hear circuses and I instantly want to know more. Which is exactly why the moment I heard about Daughter of the Burning City, it shot to the top of my TBR but although I definitely enjoyed this, unfortunately I didn’t love it as much as I’d hoped to.

For a large part of the book, I found the pacing pretty slow, which meant it felt a little tiresome to get through as times. Having said that, I loved the faster paced action scenes towards the end and would have loved to have had a bit more of tha
Acqua
Apr 29, 2017 rated it liked it
This is what Caraval should have been.

I loved the setting: the descriptions and the history of Gomorrah were fascinating. The mystery aspect was well-developed and I didn't find it too predictable.
I really liked the main character and her family of illusions (Nicoleta was my favorite, but I loved them all. I was heartbroken when some of them died).

The only thing I didn't like was the romance: Luca was condescending (...boring) and the ace & aro [1] representation wasn't great.

He says "I gue
Dannii Elle
Whilst there were things I really enjoyed about this book I found this, ultimately, to be another instance of the hype surrounding this to lead my expectations to be too highly placed.

Sorina can conjure illusions that seem and feel as real as any of the humans that come to see the freak show they perform together. This girl with no eyes is given a way to view the world through the senses of her creations and, so, their dual reliance on each other causes a dysfunctional, little family to form.

I f
Michael
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017
Overall, I really enjoyed this debut.

Post-The Night Circus, it's hard to read a festival book without making comparisons. DOTBC is the first time a book has held its own in my mind.

While not as magical, it was definitely strange and entertaining. The mystery was a good hook throughout and the world building outside Gammorah, while scarce, was intriguing as well. That being said, there were some smaller things I had issues with.

Further, I haven't seen much said about the LGBTQIA+ representation
Emma♔☯ (Bookishfix)
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
"Wicked, Wicked to the core,
The city will burn forevermore"

I was so excited when i ordered this book and it finally arrived. Not only did the synopsis draw me to this book but so did the beautiful cover. Although i haven't read alot of circus/carnival related books, this book blew me away. The characters, the festival, the mystery, the magic; it was beyond what i thought it would be and will definitely be reading it again at some point. Being Amanda Foody's first ever novel, she did such an
Claire
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-s, e-book, fantasy, ya
Thank you Netgalley for the chance to read this book. My views are entirely my own.

For a debut, Foody wields the power fo the pen with expertise. The writing is succinct and clever, the world beautifully crafted and explored, and the characters are engaging and witty. I felt swept up by the world and accepted by Sorina's family. What more could a reader ask for?

Gomorrah, the festival of wonders, full of twists and turns, adventure and charm. Foody manages to paint this living, ever-expanding, al
Mel (Epic Reading)
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-print
I cannot think of the last time I read a book that was so unique, and yet so in line with today's young adult themes. Amanda Foody has taken the currently popular setting of a circus, a main character with unique powers and put a spin on it that is so imaginative I'm jealous I can't think like her.

Uniquely Imaginative
Our main gal is able to make illusions that become permanent. So her friends and family are all 'living' embodiments of people she has created in her head. This clever element of D
  • The Continent (The Continent, #1)
  • The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue (Montague Siblings, #1)
  • Royal Bastards (Royal Bastards, #1)
  • Even the Darkest Stars (Even the Darkest Stars #1)
  • Cold Summer
  • Empress of a Thousand Skies (Empress of a Thousand Skies, #1)
  • The Glass Spare (The Glass Spare, #1)
  • Shimmer and Burn (Shimmer and Burn, #1)
  • The Sandcastle Empire
  • Heart of Thorns (Heart of Thorns, #1)
  • You Don't Know My Name (The Black Angel Chronicles #1)
  • The Last Magician (The Last Magician, #1)
  • Wicked Like a Wildfire (Hibiscus Daughter, #1)
  • Duels and Deception
  • When Dimple Met Rishi
  • Traveler (Traveler, #1)
  • It's Not Like It's a Secret
  • American Street
Amanda Foody has always considered imagination to be our best attempt at magic. After spending her childhood longing to attend Hogwarts, she now loves to write about immersive settings and characters grappling with insurmountable destinies. Currently, she works as a tax accountant in Philadelphia, PA, surrounded by her many siblings and many books.

She is the author of two published novels, DAUGHTE
“They say pressure can turn even a grain of sand into a pearl under the right circumstances.” 3 likes
“Once upon a time, we were burned to the ground. But we did not die. Instead we kept burning, kept moving, kept growing. The smoke surrounds us, even if we no longer burn.” 2 likes