Start by marking “Creating Moments of Joy for the Person with Alzheimer's or Dementia: A Journal for Caregivers” as Want to Read:

Jolene Brackey has a vision. A vision that will soon look beyond the challenges of Alzheimer's disease and focus more of our energy on creating moments of joy. When a person has short-term memory loss, his life is made up of moments. But if you think about it, our memory is made up of moments, too. We are not able to create a perfectly wonderful day with someone who has de ...more
Paperback, Fourth Edition, 331 pages
Published September 1st 2008 by Purdue University Press (first published July 2000)

Be the first to ask a question about Creating Moments of Joy for the Person with Alzheimer's or Dementia

Start your review of Creating Moments of Joy for the Person with Alzheimer's or Dementia: A Journal for Caregivers
Sharon
Nov 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and I will be gifting it to everyone I know who is a caregiver or family member of someone with any form of dementia.
I believe it should be required reading for all dementia care facilities. It is my thought that reading this book and applying the ideas in it would change a lot of the way patients are handled in these care facilities and add to better understanding and give some moments of joy even in the midst of this devastating disease to the patient, staff and family membe
Helene
Jan 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was a very helpful book thru a difficult disease. I sent this to my brother and he read the first 90 pages the day he received it and sent me email thanks. He said he learned a lot and proceeded to give me a mini-book review. I was surprised because he is very busy and not a huge book reader. I picked up a lot of good ideas and a much better understanding of Alzheimers. Her emphasis on how to create moments of joy is a wonderful gift to those dealing with the situation. She speaks with deca ...more
Carol
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful collection of advice for caregivers of those with Dementia/Alzheimer's. Although I am not at that point with anyone yet, it contains valuable lessons in how to respond to anyone who is aging. We must learn to react differently as they change and keep a positive attitude when they are frustrated or confused. I recommend this to anyone who is facing this situation now or may do so in the future.
Megan Rang
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My mom recommended this book to me and I am very glad she did. A must read for anyone who knows or interacts with a person in any stage of dementia. This book is easy to read. It has true life examples and answers the questions of what do we do now?
Dave E
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
An excellent book for anyone close to someone with, or facing dementia or alzheimer's. While the book's title suggests it is all about about how to make things betters for the patient from a caregivers perspective, I found it as much about understanding the disease, how to come to terms with it as a close family member, and ultimately how to respond to it for the benefit of both the patient and family member. An easy but valuable read.
Vickik4
Jan 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great overall message & good practical tips. Favorites: loving lies, imagine things from their perspective, tap into their long term memories, avoid asking about short term memories, don't argue or fight with them about anything - just re-direct & try again from a different perspective, help to create moments of joy for them, they cannot change their disease, so we need to change our attitudes & tactics. A parent with dementia will never forget their kids, but they may not recognize you bc in th ...more
Michele
Dec 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Short and easy to read book with some very helpful ideas. But I agree with the reviewer who found it hard to peg the author's audience. I think it could have used better editing. And it would have been nice to have an index (or at least a more meaningful table of contents) so that you could go back and find those bits of useful information more easily. All that being said, I would still suggest giving it a read if someone you care about has AD.
Felicite Reads
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2019
I read this book for work and HIGHLY suggest it to anyone who plans on aging. Seriously.

"Creating Moments of Joy" is a how-to guide hidden in real life experiences. We can learn from each other and our we can definitely learn from our own lives and mistakes.
Jeri
Jan 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
A very positive book that I enjoyed reading....with a subject like dementia, that's quite a compliment.
Katie
May 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful, wonderful book every person who comes in contact with this horrible disease should read.
Shellie Hunter
Jan 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent dialog to assist any person dealing with a family member or friend suffering from dementia.
Karen
Nov 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best I've read for caregivers or family and friends of those with dementia. Highly recommend.
Mary
Mar 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic information and amazing ideas to help a loved one on the unbelievable journey ... so good
Cynthia Etten
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This has to be the best book ever on Alzheimer's. As hopeless as this disease makes us feel, it truly presents uplifting, compassionate methods on how to help the Alzheimer's victims and help caregivers find and create "moments of joy". The author encourages caregivers to think outside the box when needed and the rewards are priceless! (ordered on Kindle)

There is a 5th edition of this book that I recently purchased as well, it has even more information and ideas (Creating Moments of Joy Along t
Paula Schumm
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read this book in preparation for a blog post about resources for caregivers of Alzheimer’s patients. This one is chock full of ideas for creating special moments for loved ones with Alzheimer’s disease. There are suggestions for all stages of the disease. Highly recommended.
Why not five stars? I know the English language is changing, but I was distracted by the use of the word “their” (plural) when speaking of one person. Also, alright is still not a word as far as I’m concerned. However, th
Whitney
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read this a few years ago before beginning my first job caring for elderly people with dementia. It was an excellent resource for getting into the mind of a person with Alzheimer's/dementia, and I've used its lessons in those and other contexts while working with vulnerable and hard to understand people. I would recommend it to any family members and friends, and certainly and CNAs (certified nursing assistant, a position in the States) or PSWs (personal support workers, their Canadian equival ...more
Mike Lisanke
Nov 27, 2019 rated it liked it
A very good book for those with a very specific purpose. I'm certain it did Not help me as much as it will help my sister (a caregiver). It is very much, for Caregivers. It's also not as, for someone with Dementia (IMO) as it's advocacy isn't always for the patient's health. IMO, anything which takes away from health, in favor only of individual pleasure is Wrong. I'm not saying that's what Jolene's message is, always, but; there are some very hazy messages in this regard.
Child_of_Aslan
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A must-read for caregivers and non-caregivers alike. For those who don’t have people in their lives with these diseases this gives insight as to what exactly is going on in both the minds and lives of those with Alzheimer’s and dementia, and those of the people who sacrifice their time to care for them.
Linda Gibboney
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A must read for everyone. Sometime in your life you will come in contact with someone who has Alzheimer's or dementia. This author has helped remove some of the mystery and stress on what to do. You will find yourself laughing and learning as you discover how to help a person move from the world into a "world of their own."
Nellie
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was given this book by an assisted living facility where my mom is going for respite care.

I cried a lot through out the book. There are many personal stories that bring the book to life and serve as wonderful examples.

One line that resonated with me "We have become experts at therapeutic lying and melatonin."
Elizabeth Hoffbauer
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Best worst book I've ever read. If you have a loved one dealing with Alzheimer and dementia, read this book. If you ever plan to be a caregiver to the elderly, read this book. The format is approachable and written in little vignettes, however the subject area is emotionally draining so don't expect it to be a fast read.
Linda
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
EVERYONE, and I mean everyone, must read this book! Someday, somewhere YOU are going to meet or care for a person with dementia. This book will give you insight like no other. A must read 10* rating!!!
Rita
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Create ideas and reminders for caregivers. This has helped me already. I did assisted living for 10 years and home health and skilled care for 5 years. But that was 19 years ago. I will be purchasing for the family that I currently work for. Its a great quick read.
Susan Hillery
Jan 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Not as helpful as I had hoped. I did realize I am doing some things wrong when visiting my mom who has dementia. I wish I could make everyone in her personal care home read this. They would benefit from it more than I did.
Melanie Cahill
May 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This little book was packed full of tips, stories and advice in working with and bring joy to people living with dementia. Short sections made for an easy read. The author brought a great deal of experience to the topic with compassion and kindness.
Dianne
Feb 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Some great ideas for communicating with people suffering from dementia.
Sue Mosher
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding! Many stories and helpful hints for those working with and caring for people with dementia or Alzheimer's Disease. Gentle and humorous and much appreciated.
Jody Ogle schardin hallonquist
Highly recommend this book for all caregivers.
Dolores
Aug 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
many great insights in this book. so important to remember the person with dementia has a disease, and we, as caregivers, have to change the ways we relate to them.
Janna Odenthal
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I've ever read. Very relevant today. I wish this was available years ago. I will be reading this again and again. I wish this one was required reading for everyone.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Learning to Speak Alzheimer's: A Groundbreaking Approach for Everyone Dealing with the Disease
  • Two Old Women: An Alaskan Legend of Betrayal, Courage and Survival
  • Great Women of the Christian Faith
  • Reinventing the Wheel: Milk, Microbes, and the Fight for Real Cheese
  • Overcoming Fear, Worry, and Anxiety: Becoming a Woman of Faith and Confidence
  • Why They Do It: Inside the Mind of the White-Collar Criminal
  • The 36-Hour Day: A Family Guide to Caring for People with Alzheimer Disease, Other Dementias, and Memory Loss in Later Life
  • The Hilarious World of Depression
  • Drinking and Tweeting and Other Brandi Blunders
  • Be the Bridge: Pursuing God's Heart for Racial Reconciliation
  • Dirt: Adventures, with Family, in the Kitchens of Lyon, Looking for the Origins of French Cooking
  • How They Got Away with It: White Collar Criminals and the Financial Meltdown
  • The Girls with No Names
  • Clients First: The Two Word Miracle
  • DIY Fashionista: 40 Recycling, Upcycling and Crafty Projects
  • The Barbara Pym Collection Volume One: A Glass of Blessings, Some Tame Gazelle, and Jane and Prudence
  • Peter the Great: His Life and World
  • Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5)