Start by marking “Retrato Mortal (Série Mortal, #16)” as Want to Read:
Retrato Mortal (Série Mortal, #16)

Retrato Mortal

(In Death #16)

Um assassino persegue belas mulheres na ânsia de captar num retrato fatal a sua inocência e juventude...

Quando Eve Dallas recebe a dica de um repórter, está longe de imaginar que irá encontrar o cadáver de uma jovem numa lixeira. Horas antes, o repórter tinha recebido um misterioso portefólio de qualidade profissional com fotografias da mulher assassinada. Num twist macab
Published June 17th 2016 by Chá das Cinco (first published January 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Retrato Mortal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Retrato Mortal

Phrynne
Jul 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4000-books
J.D. Robb at her best!
There are so many totally emotional scenes between Roarke, who is definitely not at his perfect best, and Eve, who steps up to be the best wife she can. Tissues anyone?
Then there are all the in jokes like hidden chocolate bars and Eve's twitchy eye whenever Peabody puts the words sex and McNab into the same sentence.
Of course there is the usual banter. Peabody and Eve get most of the good lines in this one, although everyone is a comedian from time to time.
And don't forget
Mo
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Going to sound like a broken record here soon. Yes, I loved it. There were some stark revelations here that left one of the characters reeling. The mystery element was well plotted. No, didn't guess the "bad guy." Eve is in full force as usual. She loves her job.

Roarke has his own businesses to run but he is always there to help Eve in any way he can. And ease her tension ... with some hot sex!!

Mei
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary

I wouldn’t advertise that if I were you…

Poor soul. The killer, I mean. Yes, it was really sad to discover who and why the killer killed! Even Eve was almost touched!

Where I was touched is Rourke’s reunion with his family!!! I actually cried! I was considering planting a cherry tree on my balcony!!

I was also chewing my nail when Truheart was in danger! And to read about Baxter’s distress!!! WOW!!!

Another winner here!!!
Jilly
Aug 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This book had so much Roarke that my swoon-meter almost broke!

It was a blood-boiling, heart-melting swoon-a-thon!

Also, Eve was actually a good wife and put Roarke above her job for a few minutes. That was surprisingly nice to see. Usually it's all about Eve, she treats him pretty crappy, and he loves her like chocolate. We need to see some reciprocation once in a while.

But, as for the mystery? It was a lot about photography which bores the crap out of me.

But, all of the stuff on Roarke, Peabody
Hulya Kara Yuksel
Anybody else cried during reading of this book (or listening the audiobook) or was it only me? Because my god, Roarke's past made me cry like a baby... When he found out the truth, my heart broke for him... Ugh 😢😢😢

Ps. I listened the Audiobook. ;)

"I couldn't fall out of love with you if I fell all the way to hell." Emotion was storming into his eyes ... ❤
Aly is so frigging bored
2nd read: 23 July - 6th August 2015

1st read: 15-19 May 2013
I forgot to add one of my favorite quotes from the book:
"What's that? Is that chocolate? Real chocolate?"
"What?" Panicked, Eve shoved the hand behind her back. "I don't know what you're talking about. I'm working here."
"I can smell it." To prove it, Peabody sniffed the air like a wolf. "That's not chocolate substitute, that's not soy. That's real goods."
"Maybe. And it's mine."
"Just let me have a little—" Peabody's gasp was shocked and he
Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥
Rereading for buddy read - June 2017
One of my Top 5 In Death books...I've read this one several times, yet it still tugs at my heart-strings. Will try to return with review.
Ren Puspita
May 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Roarke groupies, Eve's die hard fans
Recommended to Ren Puspita by: Why? Its Roarke. I must read this!
Re-read Oct, 21st 2011

Contain spoilers (so, yes people!! Continue read this series!)

Portrait in Death is my favorite book of In Death series. Well, I love all In Death books, but my favorite is just a few. And each of that book always have special moment. My favorites include :
- Naked in Death (Roarke and Eve's first meeting at the curch, any readers will not forget about that moment. Really powerful!)
- Vengeance in Death (Roarke's past and well this one have one of my favorite Eve-Roarke's sex
Carolyn
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, crime, futuristic
Another great thriller in this excellent series by J.D Robb!
Eve Dallas is once again trying to hunt down a serial killer, one who is targeting beautiful young people and taking their portraits before and after death. She also has problems to deal with at home with Summerset having broken his leg just as he was due to take his three week vacation and Roarke dealing with an astounding revelation about his mother and origins in Ireland. Everyone is out of sorts and Roarke and Eve have a serious fi
Al *the semi serial series skipper*
I didn't really like this, I enjoy it when the killer has some weird twisted motive but he still has his sanity. When the killer is literally insane it tends to leave a bad taste in my mouth because there is no area of safety in insanity.

I really like Roarke's story arc in this one, I was really happy with the reaction he got from Sinead especially with all the terrible things that has happened to him.

Belles
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: z2018, 2019
This story was pretty emotional to read. Another great book in a great series.
Irene Sim
6 freaking stars!

One of the best stories in this series.

Where do I begin? This story brought tears to my eyes on many scenes and I'm in wonder of how J.D. Robb still does it... Is it maybe because after so many books I came to care for these characters so much as if they are actual people I know? But what about "Crack"? He's just a built, random black bouncer in a Club, barely someone you pay attention. But J.D. Robb pierced my heart with his loss.

What about Baxter and Trueheart? The finale had
Diane
Apr 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Portrait in Death is one of my favourites in the ID series. Roarke learns about his family, his real mother actually and he returns to Ireland to find answers.

The killer is a pathetic individual that is tough to detest - but murder is never an answer.

I like some of the side characters, in particular Dirk Hastings, the photographer or is that portographer :)

Sadly we learn about Crack's sister and his real name - very emotional part of the book - one of many in this one.

5 stars and 2 thumbs up -
Alex ♈
Suspense 4.5 stars / Romance 4 stars

I quote my dear friend Ann Lou: it was a sad read. The victims were so young, so innocent. It broke my heart.
As always brilliantly solved by Eve. This woman is my idol!

Romance was a big part of this story. Roarke learned about his real mother. I didn't like how he pushed Eve away, but I somehow got why he did it. He was cruel to his wife. Eve was again a cleverer one in their relationship, I adored her.
Ann Lou
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one's very sad to read. I mean, all murders are But this one got deeper to me than the rest. There was no brutality in the murders just a twisted, mentally ill killer who thinks he's preserving their youth, vitality and energy by killing them. By immortalizing them.

Eve is distracted and off because worried about Roarke. She's still learning about the rules of marriage and stuff.

Roarke. He's not his perfect self in this one. A secret from his past came to light and he didn't know how to de
Tina
Jan 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the 16th book in the In Death series.

It is August 2059 and it is hot in the city. Eve catches a case where a killer kidnaps, kills and then photographs young college students. And while Eve is busily off tracking down a serial killer, Roarke learns a devastating truth about his past.

JD Robb continues to march on with her crazily addicting series featuring the tough as nails bitch cop, Eve Dallas and her seriously delicious billionaire husband Roarke.

The mystery/slash police procedure in
Somia
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another ace addition to the series.

The book starts of with humour, as Eve cheers the fact Summerset is about to set off on vacation, and plans to celebrate by having hot monkey sex with her irresistible hubby. But alas Eve’s dreams are ruined when Summerset breaks his leg!

In this book there are also some stark revelations that leave Roarke reeling, and we see Eve step up to the plate to provide him with the support and comfort he needs. After the shit Roarke’s had to deal with, I was really happ
❆ Crystal ❆
5 stars. I really enjoyed this amazing addition to this awesome series. I loved the focus on Roarke's past. I admit that I did shed a tear or two. The crime was totally twisted and so original it was kind of scary. Eve was fab as usual although I wanted to yell at her for how she treated Nadine in this one. And, I gasped out loud when the killer was revealed! Thank goodness I'm not a detective because I would have never figured this one out.
Lauren
Portrait in Death
3.5 Stars

Following a tip, Eve Dallas discovers the body of a young woman in a dumpster and begins investigating a series of murders in which the victims are all students whose bodies have been staged and photographed. At the same time, Eve must deal with an injured Summerset as well as Roarke, who has become troubled and distant.

The murder investigation is one of the weakest in the series. It progresses slowly and there it too much rehashing of evidence. It is also relatively e
Ana Fernandes
May 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
Uau! Adorei!
J.D.Robb não desilude e continua a surpreender.
É sem duvida a minha série favorita!
Christa
The one where Summerset falls and breaks his leg.

“I need you to get in touch with Roarke, find out how Summerset’s doing.”
“He went on vacation today. You had it set on your calendar, with a trumpet fanfare and shooting stars.”
“He broke his leg.”
“What? When? How? Jeez.”
“Fell down the damn steps this morning. I think he did it to spite me. I really do.”

The one where Roarke finds a shocking discovery about his mother.

Who knew better than he that you couldn’t live your life joining hands wi
Anita
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best in a really great series. Love the mystery, Roarke and Eve and everything about this one.

Eve is doing a happy dance all over the bedroom and awesome sex with Roarke is not the reason why, this time. Summerset is going on a three week vacation and Eve can't wait to waive him goodbye. Well, it never pays to get ahead of yourself as Summerset takes a header and breaks his leg. Major ouch.

Nadine, Eve's friend and the ace reporter for Channel 75, received disturbing photos and a note
♥Sharon♥
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another short and sweet review.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE these books!!

Okay, so this one has to be one of my favorites in the series so far.

As much as the plot was interesting and a bit crazy, what I loved most was the writing surrounding Roarke. We get a deeper look into his past. And while his story has always touched my heart, the part of his past that is revealed here is heartbreaking as well as comforting. Eve's emotions and her strength was heartening. I adore her. I adore their rela
HÜLYA
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cinayetin kurgusundan çok Roarke'in gerçek annesi ile ilgili hikayesi ilgimi çekti...Genel olarak güzeldi ama finale kadar yeterince heyecanlı değildi..Finali iyidir....4.5...
Lisazj1
You know, when I finish one of these books, I always think it’s one of the best. It’s utterly impossible to pick a favorite, like picking a favorite child. But this one, man, this one really brought the feels, in a lot of different ways. Eve and Roarke *and Lord, even Summerset this time* rarely bring me to tears *Dallas doesn’t allow that shit* but this made me cry in more than one place.

Eve’s cases are always interesting and get pretty damn exciting but this one actually caused me a moment or
Lena
Jan 31, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, cops-fbi
26E7E3C8-90FA-45DC-8228-61722C1BB8EA.jpg

An artist has found his medium photographing the dead.

But art will not wait for the subjects to die off camera.

Too bad Eve is a critic.

This was ok but I’m still high off Reunion In Death so it felt better than it was.

(view spoiler)
Eve
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Portrait in Death by J.D. Robb
Series: In Death, #16
Suspense > futuristic > romance > mystery

“You're certainly chipper this morning."
"Damn straight. Chipper's my middle name. I'm going out to spread joy and laughter to all of mankind."
"What a nice change of pace." There was amusement riding along with the Irish in his voice. "Perhaps you'll start now by going down with me to see Summerset off."
She grimaced. "That might spoil my appetite." Testing, she polished off the pancakes. "No, no,
Kjen
Apr 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, re-read
Possibly my favorite In Death...but it is so hard to choose. I. Love. Them. All! Eve landing in the field of cows (you're telling me) and Roarke's reaction to her (you must really love me) and Roarke's Aunt's reaction to all of it...priceless! Possibly my favorite scene...but it is so hard to choose. There. Are. So. Many! The case really is secondary in Portrait which is not a problem for me. Loved the advice and counsel that Eve got from Feeney, Mavis, and Mira during Roarke's "breaking of the ...more
J.D. Robb 3 6 Mar 13, 2019 07:24AM
J.D. Robb : Portrait In Death Buddy Read - June 2017 118 41 Jun 30, 2017 12:43AM
J.D. Robb : Buddy Read - Portrait In Death - (Aug. 2014) SPOILER ZONE 99 96 Jan 13, 2017 01:08PM
J.D. Robb : Portrait in Death (Spoiler Zone) 31 167 Dec 07, 2016 01:55AM
Readers of Kindle...: Portrait in Death #16 1 10 Feb 08, 2012 10:56AM

• Don't Look Down (Samantha Jellicoe, #2)
  • Three Fates
  • After Glow (Ghost Hunters, #2)
  • All Through the Night (Troubleshooters, #12)
  • Death of a Pirate King (The Adrien English Mysteries, #4)
  • Hades
J.D. Robb is the author of the #1 New York Times bestselling In Death series and the pseudonym for #1 New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts. The futuristic suspense series stars Eve Dallas, a New York City police lieutenant with a dark past. Initially conceived as a trilogy, readers clamored for more of Eve and the mysterious Roarke. Leverage in Death, on sale September 2018, is the 47th ...more

In Death (1 - 10 of 50 books)
  • Naked in Death (In Death #1)
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)
  • Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)
  • Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
  • Witness in Death (In Death, #10)
“I couldn't fall out of love with you if I fell all the way to hell.” 52 likes
“Marriage isn't for the weak or lazy. It's work, and it should be. What would be the point otherwise?” 19 likes