Start by marking “A City Inside” as Want to Read:
A City Inside

A City Inside

Shifting between the everyday and the surreal, A City Inside recounts one woman s life from childhood home, to the first love that she will never forget, to the creation of the idea of herself that she can grow old with and the home that she can grow old in. Walden s follow up to the lyrical I Love This Part is a poetic exploration of the process of growing older; the jour ...more
Published May 7th 2016 by Avery Hill Publishing

To ask other readers questions about A City Inside, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A City Inside

David Schaafsma
Dec 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: gn-women, gn-ya
It took me months to finish On a Sunbeam, the 20 chapter web-comic space adventure coming of age story from Tillie Walden, the amazing artist, but this 56 small picture book sized graphic story I read in a matter of minutes and it accomplishes many of the same things: Coming of age, a first relationship, architecture, space. There's a slight separation from the YA audience of Sunbeam in that it also takes us to a place when we can begin to imagine all the girls Walden draws become adults.

It's s
Raina
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Tillie Walden's art might be my new obsession. This is a gorgeous, super slim, dreamy piece. An interesting companion to Spinning. It has some similar themes and characters, but stays way above the nitty gritty of detail.

Stunning.
Anna McKenzie
Jun 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
It's amazing how Tillie Walden can pack so much emotion into such a short number of pages, with such a simple metaphor/construct. This beautifully narrated and stunningly drawn graphic novel explores accepting yourself, feeling comfortable in your own mind and embracing the good and the bad in your life. It was really wonderful, highly recommended.
l.
Tillie Walden is perfect.
Nay Keppler
Oct 19, 2017 rated it liked it
I think I'm too dumb for this book but I liked the cat and that it was a little gay. (also my gf liked it so i gave it an extra star love you babe)
Jack Stark
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I bloody love Tillie Walden's short comics, I do. They are excellent short stories in their own, but couple it with her beautiful art and they are bite size chunks of melancholic delight.
Larakaa
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Poetry. Pure poetry in images and text. So melancholy, so optimistic, so profound. I can read it again and again.
Progya
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, comix, lgbt
This is not what I expected. This story is going to stay with me for a long time. Loved it.
Abeer Hoque
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another gorgeous spare graphic novel by Tilli Walden. I don’t know how an author so young has such an old wise soul. She is able to get to the heart of things so simply and deeply. This book is about a girl/woman who lives in the sky (maybe it’s a metaphor, maybe it isn’t), and comes down to earth to be with someone, and what it means to give up on one life for another, or to feel like either is enough. The black and white illustrations are beautiful and complex and artful and striking, and I lo ...more
Hannah
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbt-books
Short and sweet.
Claire
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My library has all of Tillie Walden's books so I am slowly making my way through them, this is one of the thinest but I think its my favourite. Its a very subtle, clever, insightful exploration of a young woman's hypnotherapy session as she heals the wounds of her past. Not triggering in anyway but devastatingly powerful in the way Tillie takes us through the heroine's blurring of reality and fantasy. All illustrated as usual with her exquisite drawings. Amazing.
Ashley
As always, I like the art. A bit unpleasant to follow, like it captured a quality I recognize in others and don't like very much. I suppose I found it a bit threatening, as I really don't understand that type of person and was more inclined to empathise with the woman she left behind.
Daisy
Quality Rating: Four Stars
Enjoyment Rating: Five Stars

Tillie Walden is an incredibly visceral, imaginative and almost abstract storyteller. Her characters are larger than life and at the same tiny painfully small and real inside th city landscape. She tells beautifully honest and melancholy narratives that make you come away with a weight off your chest. Reading A City Inside after I Love This Part builds on the themes of life vs love vs sanity vs contentment and overlaps both in themes and plot
Lydia
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was beautifully done and powerful - don't be misled by its small size. Really moving and thought-provoking. Keep an eye out for the tense shifts, they're subtle but feel really important to the world(s) she's spinning. I think I probably should have read "I love this part" first, but even as a stand alone work this is really lovely and genuinely touching. I would have given it 5 stars but there are a few lines that feel a bit young, which wouldn't be a big deal if this was longer, but with ...more
Caleb Lail
Apr 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Oh.
It’s over?
I just opened and read it in, what, five minutes? Maybe?
Don’t get me wrong, it wasn’t bad or anything, but it wasn’t stellar. The illustrations are nice and the story works well for a graphic novella, but for the cover price, it’s pretty lacking. I want to read more of her work, and I’d say read this a few times, but I’d probably find it second hand or at a library.
Adam Stone
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This felt quite a bit like Walden's "I Love This Part" if it were more fleshed out narratively but not quite as involved with the visual metaphors. The slightly more text/story was enough for me. It's still a very spare story, but it's a complete story. She makes you feel precisely what her narrators are going through in a way that I see a lot of independent artists strive for but rarely achieve.

I recommend not just this book, but most of what I've read by her so far, to anyone looking for an in
Kyle Berk
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
She’s got two other comics I can read after this. Though after that... well I don’t want to think about it.

I’m in love with what Tillie Walden writes. Every time it gives me a beautiful story that makes me that kind of melancholy you get from stories that have the scope and breath of real life. And I love it.

This one covers an entire woman’s life in a poetic narration with beautiful drawing and a detail romantic memory can provide.

Like the other two I really liked it and recommend it, they’re sh
Miles Honey
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
such beautiful art! the intro could stand on its own as a powerfully moving and evocative piece. the rest of the story is also powerful and beautiful, but gets a little muddled—i've heard several people say "i think i'm just not smart enough for this book", which makes me think maybe this book just isn't clear enough for people, myself included. but regardless it is beautiful and makes me feel a lot of things.
Danielle
Nov 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
I liked this one from Tillie Walden a lot more, and it definitely had closer to the same vibes as 'i love this part.' There was still a certain abstract/vague quality to the storytelling though, so maybe—aside from 'i love this part,' which is pretty straightforward—Tillie Walden's books just aren't for me. 😅
Clare Vaughn
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE TILLIE WALDEN. And even though my personal circumstances aren't very similar to the main character's, I related to this book on such a strong level. A gorgeous, heart-rending breath of air. If you're feeling a little lost, untethered, or just moving in a new direction, this is a perfect book for you. Actually, since no one can see the future, everyone needs to read this graphic novel.
Eric
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Yet another short work of incredible and emotional storytelling from my new favorite graphic novelist. The story is a speculative relationship/life therapy session conducted via a meditatively induced prescient internal monologue. Just read it. It will make sense, it will be good, and you won't regret it.
✧ ᗩƝƝᗩ ✧
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
So many emotions in such a small book. The illustrations by tillie walden are so simple, but so beautiful and meaningful. The book depicts the life of a woman from childhood until her getting older and is about finding yourself and growing into a better you.
Emily
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was beautifully drawn with an amazing message. I wouldn’t have thought I could be that moved by a book so tiny, but that was me being small-minded, because this book is perfect in its simplicity.
Luna Valentine
this was the most beautiful graphic novel i have read in months. i was almost in tears reading this. i knew i'd love tillie walden's books but wow, this was everything i never knew i needed. i haven't felt this way about a graphic novel since i read lost at sea
Tierra
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love after loneliness. Peace after fear. Being okay after being always something else. Breathe.

Beautiful. Walden ends the story with hope yet still knowing that that one moment wasn't the end of the process.
Emily Joyce
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. A sweet vignette
Xiomahara
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
It was short but very good. I loved the drawings and the storyline; it was simple yet it kept making me think of many theories surrounding the use of patterns and what everything really meant
Devi
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Tillie Waldens Literatur ist etwas für den Kopf und fürs Herz. Dies ist die zweite Graphic Novel in diesem Jahr, die ich von ihr gelesen habe und es es hat mich wieder umgehauen.
David Thomas
May 14, 2018 rated it liked it
A five minute read told in second person. I guess it was OK? I mean there's not a lot here.
Helen Leigh-Phippard
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Beautifully drawn, packed full of emotion and imagination, Tillie Walden manages to fill this little book with so much gorgeousness.
  • Stuck in the Middle: 17 Comics from an Unpleasant Age
  • Sunburning
  • The Notebook Girls
  • Someone Please Have Sex With Me
  • Wuvable Oaf (Wuvable Oaf, Volume: 1)
  • Turning Japanese
  • Little Fish: A Memoir from a Different Kind of Year
  • Worst Behaviour
  • In-Between Days: A Memoir About Living with Cancer
  • The Best American Comics 2011
  • Dar: A Super Girly Top Secret Comic Diary, Volume One (Dar!, #1)
  • Long Red Hair
  • Fetch: How a Bad Dog Brought Me Home
  • Pregnant Butch: Nine Long Months Spent in Drag
  • Princess Mononoke: The First Story
  • Dressing
  • You'll Never Know, Vol. 1: A Good and Decent Man
  • Bee and Puppycat Vol. 3
Tillie Walden is a cartoonist and illustrator from Austin, Texas. Born in 1996, she is a recent graduate from the Center for Cartoon Studies, a comics school in Vermont. Over the course of her time at CCS she published three books with the London based Avery Hill Publishing. She has already received an Eisner Award nomination and two Ignatz Awards for her early works. When she is not drawing comic ...more