Start by marking “The Ghostfaces (Brotherband #6)” as Want to Read:
The Ghostfaces (Brotherband #6)

The Ghostfaces

(Brotherband Chronicles #6)

From John Flanagan, author of the worldwide bestselling Ranger's Apprentice!

When the Brotherband crew are caught in a massive storm at sea, theyre blown far off course so far that they wash up on the shores of a land to the west that Hal cant recognize from any of his maps. Eerily the locals are nowhere in sight, yet the Herons have a creeping feeling they are being
Published May 16th 2016 by Random House Australia (first published 2016)

To ask other readers questions about The Ghostfaces, please sign up.
Gilbert Filamen Theres also the Ulf on Gundar Hardstrikers crew. Wow there are a lot of Ulfs!…moreThere’s also the Ulf on Gundar Hardstriker’s crew. Wow there are a lot of Ulfs!(less)
JC It has already come out, it is called "The Caldera"

Start your review of The Ghostfaces (Brotherband #6)
Kyle
Mar 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites

OMG! I love this series!

Hal and his brotherband crew are forced to flee from a huge storm. They are blown for weeks into the endless sea with water in short supply, they begin to fear they might be blown off the edge of the world! Then when it seems all hope is lost, they see land.

First off, I love these characters! Right from the first book in the series I fell in love with all of them. That relationship has continued to grow through each book in the series and continues in this the sixth book

Leigh
This was very different to the others in the Brotherband series and I believed added more depth to the characters and to the story as a whole. Its like the series grew up. The story itself was meaningful, engaging and full of adventure, hitting a new element every chapter or so. Entertaining and meaningful in more way than you expect.
Kathleen
3.75 stars. Good story, but too many chapters on the storm. And what happened to the dog? She almost disappeared from the narrative after the bear scene. Then she showed up again once or twice. Then nothing. Did she die?

This is Book 6 featuring the Skandian (Scandinavian) Brotherband of eight young men, plus Lydia the huntress and old Thorn the warrior maktig. And the dog Kloof. Their amazing sailing sloop "The Heron" sets out for home but is blown off course by the storm of the century. Instead
Erudessa Aranduriel
A very good story......but he killed someone I liked again. *pouts*
Emily
May 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was beautiful. It was super emotional (I cried...) and it really showed the depth and strength of the friendship between the whole Brotherband. I loved every moment.
Ojo
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
John Flanagan does not fail to thrill in this latest instalment of the Brotherband Chronicles!

Fresh from their latest adventure, the Heron Brotherband is thrown into an even more thrilling adventure. Lost in a freak storm, they are driven far over the Endless Sea to a land now too dissimilar to the New World. They make new friends, fall in love, interact with a unique culture and forge a bond with the people of the land by helping them fight and defeat their enemies, the Ghostfaces.

Once again,
Misty
Oct 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
4.5 STARS....Only because of the Stig storyline. I was so upset with that. It was beautiful and heartbreaking. But, I still love this series and all of the Brotherband boys. The Brotherband are always lending a hand to anyone that needs it. Their enemies always underestimate them and I love how they always come out on top. This is what a team is all about!!! Looking forward to the next book in this series.
Jemma
Jun 16, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am actually a bit tired of this series and I only picked this book up because it was a free audio book.

If you're enjoying the series then my review is probably invalid to you anyway. My recommendation is just to not get the audio version, the narrator is rather irritating.

The good side:
-Edvin was a far more interesting and developed character

-Lydia was also a more interesting character and she finally stopped saying 'old man' to Thorne

-Jesper actually was given a good part to play

The bad
Kevin Topolovec
Jun 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This time John Flanagan found a brand new race of people to not-so-subtly put a parallel version of into his fantasy world.
Mark Buxton
Jun 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My name is Stig, and I am first mate aboard the Heron. I don't know how we survived weeks in that massive storm on the Endless Ocean, but Hal's smartness always amazes me. The land we've found has plenty of food and shelter, so we'll wait until the winds change before trying to find our way back to Skandia. Lydia and Thorn found claw marks on tree from a bear that's three meters tall! There's also evidence of people spying on us. We have no idea if they're friendly or dangerous, so we're on ...more
Kristen
Oct 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great installment to the series. This one feels more grown up--which makes sense, since Hal and the Heron crew are also growing up. There's still a lot of action and adventure, but there's a surprising amount of emotion, as well.

This adventure finds the crew blown out to sea in the Endless Ocean, unsure if they'll find land or not. Like the other books in the series, we get to experience new lands and new characters while still enjoying watching our favorite Herons in their element.

If I
Skip
Aug 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Must be a 3.5 stars since I changed my rating back and forth between 3 and 4 more than once. Hal and his crew try to make it home, and get caught in a horrible storm, that blows them into uncharted seas. Just as their water supply runs out, they find a small island, where they come ashore, finding themselves facing a large predator. Rescuing some native children, Jesper shows his mettle and the crew is welcomed with open arms for their bravery. As the Heron crew waits for a favorable change in ...more
Shaeley Santiago
In true Brotherband form, this story is about a crew knocked off course during a bad storm. At their wit's end with no water left, they finally come across land in an unknown location. After making contact with the locals, they must decide whether or not to rise to the occasion to help them out.
E
Apr 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, fiction
3.5 STARS

In an era of Kirkus Reviews beating me senseless about microaggressions and miniature slights towards marginalized groups that even I, a bleeding-heart liberal, think are ridiculous (a brown-furred animal is bad but then, upon losing its fur and revealing pink skin becomes good, is "unfortunate" because it's racist? SERIOUSLY?!?!), I'm a lot more attuned to potentially problematic content and books, and this one would have made any Kirkus reviewer worth their salt have an absolute
Christian Hodges
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, "The Ghostfaces," by John Flanagan is another delightful episode to the brotherband series, left with a cliffhanger giving you the idea of that final glowing moment I could only relate to the ending of the J.R.R. Tolkien Lord of the Rings movie scene, where everyone is glowing and happy. Although, *Spoilers* before the that was a very very sad moment in the book. Although the ending seems stereotypical, it's a good stereotype, one that not many in this modern era will be able to ...more
Heather
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own-hard-copy
I never know if I should review just the book or if I should review the series as a whole. As a whole I love the Brotherband Chronicles. I thought that this particular book was a little slow in the beginning but picked up about half way through. Overall, I enjoyed this next book in the series and will continue to read as many books as John Flanagan will write!
Katie
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hal is amazing and I love Stig too. Great books about adventure, team work, friendship and overcoming all odds.
Clayton Wilcox
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good stuff, Flanagan delivers again. Unknown territory and peoples are what challenge the crew this time, and I loved it every second.
Melenia
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book
So sad. So good. A little easy. I kinda wish hed went the harder route, but it is supposed to be for a younger crowd. I still utterly adore this series. ...more
Eoui
Dec 23, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Oof. I mean it wasn't awful. The idea is sound since it is based on our own history. But it's always iffy when someone attempts to write Native Americans. Especially people not from America--which is many cases is hardly better. It ends up with... well, something like this. Which with this author I'm especially surprised since he so often does his research.

The tribe is primitive, in need of outside help to solve their problems, don't know basic things about protecting themselves or using their
Phil Scott
really good character development, extremely clever language techniques
DrMM
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Holy White Savior trope, Batman.

In some ways, Ive actually enjoyed the Brotherband books more than the Rangers Apprentice series. But this particular book was weak. Not only was the character development flat, the plot was devoted to the incredibly racist white savior trope.

Will and the Herons get lost in a storm and end up on the shores of a new land (North America). They end up making friends with a particular tribe of natives. But then the tribe hears that the dreaded Ghostfaces are on their
Danny L Walling
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably the Best

I don't know where to start. Alot of action and alot of growing up. You find the Herons in a storm that nearly killed them, except Hal belief in the direction he chooses. They landed on a land that has never been explored. They became friends of a local tribe, where Stig fell in love with a local maiden. They helped the tribe defeat another bad tribe, where Stig's love was killed. It ended with all the brotherband rally around Stig to give him support. Probably the best book of
MaryBeth
Sep 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic as always!!
Malachi Crist
Jul 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Turah
May 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: want-to-own, reviewed
Loved it! I read this book over a car trip to go camping with some friends with some of my family. I read the cover flap totally wrong, but the story was still really good. I was going to cry at the end beacuase of what happened to Stig. It was so sad!
Jo Oehrlein
Apparently, this is several years after book #5.

Stig's decision was a hard one.

I don't know if I would have titled the book Ghostfaces. That seems like just a small part of the story.
Glenn
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, what a story. I found less humour in this story than some of the previous Brotherband books, but it was replaced with something else... A must read book...
Rita
Oct 04, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great plot. Pretty similar to the rest of the series, but great plot.
Sokooky
May 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG! I thought it ended with the last one and I was like NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! BUT THE BROTHERBAND CONTINUES!!!!!! Hopefully there will be some Rangers in this one too...
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Dont read (extreme spoiler alert) 2 6 Jan 18, 2019 10:48AM
Journal week #6 1 3 Jan 21, 2017 01:21PM
Journal week #5 1 1 Jan 21, 2017 01:17PM

• Slathbog's Gold (Adventurers Wanted, #1)
  • Sands of Nezza (Adventurers Wanted, #4)
  • The Axe of Sundering (Adventurers Wanted, #5)
  • Albrek's Tomb (Adventurers Wanted, #3)
  • Betrayal  (Archer of the Heathland #2)
  • Deliverance (Archer of the Heathland #1)
  • The Horn of Moran (Adventurers Wanted, #2)
  • The Way of the Warrior (Young Samurai, #1)
  • The Way of the Sword (Young Samurai, #2)
  • Wrath of the Dragon King (Dragonwatch, #2)
  • The Ring of Earth (Young Samurai, #4)
  • The Ring of Sky (Young Samurai, #8)
  • Master of the Phantom Isle (Dragonwatch, #3)
  • Storm Peak (Jesse Parker Mystery, #1)
  • The Ring of Wind (Young Samurai, #7)
  • The Ring of Fire (Young Samurai, #6)
  • The Way of the Dragon (Young Samurai, #3)
  • Vengeance  (Archer of the Heathland #3)

For mysteries by this same author, see John A. Flanagan.

John Flanagan grew up in Sydney, Australia, hoping to be a writer. It wasn't until he wrote a highly uncomplimentary poem about a senior executive at the agency where he worked, however, that his talent was revealed. It

Brotherband Chronicles (8 books)
  • The Outcasts (Brotherband Chronicles, #1)
  • The Invaders (Brotherband Chronicles, #2)
  • The Hunters (Brotherband Chronicles, #3)
  • Slaves of Socorro (Brotherband Chronicles, #4)
  • Scorpion Mountain (Brotherband Chronicles, #5)
  • The Caldera (Brotherband Chronicles, #7)
  • Return of the Temujai (Brotherband Chronicles, #8)