Start by marking “A King and a Pawn (Leader Murders, #3)” as Want to Read:
A King and a Pawn (Leader Murders, #3)

A King and a Pawn

(Leader Murders #3)

Bert Cooper’s life used to be great, until his sister turned out to be a traitor. Now Bert feels the whole pack looks on him with doubt and suspicion. To prove his loyalty, he volunteers to be the first ambassador at Fey Court, gathering information to finally solve the Leader Murders and punish those plotting against the Council and community. At least, that was the plan… ...more
Published June 17th 2016 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about A King and a Pawn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A King and a Pawn

Start your review of A King and a Pawn (Leader Murders, #3)
M'rella
This book is all over the place. I am not even sure I am attaching correct tags here.

- Urban fantasy, for example. This could have taken place anywhere. In the woods or in the mountains, for all I care. But there was a mentioning of some humans in cars and apartment complexes so... I guess it's on an urban-y side.

- Law enforcement, PI. Not really. Bert is a beta (read: a butler and a cook and a nanny) to an asshole who happens to be in charge of PBI (paranormal bureau of investigations).

Lilia Ford
3.5

This started strong, with plenty of palace intrigue and plot twists, but I ended up not liking it nearly as much as the first two Leader books. I think the main problem is that Will never really cohered as a character for me: devoted parent, uber magician, political leader, superhot Fey heartbreaker, AND lover of Bert, chubby, dessert-making babysitter extraordinaire? I don't mind match-ups like that, and honestly Bert was a great character and a genuinely refreshing change from the usual
Jaime
3.5 Stars - Full Review to come
**)
.•.•*) .•*)
(.• (.•`*Review Copy provided by Dreamspinner Press in exchange for an honest review.
Reviewed by Jaime from Alpha Book Club
description description
Elaine White
Book – A King and A Pawn (Leader Murders #3)
Author – Liv Olteano
Star rating - (3.5)
No. of Pages – 234

Cover – Moody and Gorgeous!
POV – 1st person, one character, POV
Would I read it again – Yes.

Genre – LGBT, Paranormal, Crime

** I WAS GIVEN THIS BOOK, BY THE AUTHOR, IN RETURN FOR AN HONEST REVIEW **
Reviewed for Divine Magazine

I struggled with this one, because it took me a while to make up my mind about my rating and how I felt about it. Though I'm totally addicted to the series, I'd have to say
ItsAboutTheBook
Jun 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faye
Review can be read at It's About The Book

Bert Cooper feels tainted by his sister’s treason. He needs to prove he’s still a loyal beta. He also needs to be away from curious and possibly condemning eyes. His alpha, Herman Weiss, sends him to the Fey court as an “ambassador” where he’s pretty much just going to act as a spy. He’s even got a special ring so the Fey won’t be able to correctly read his emotional grid. It doesn’t take Bert long to realize he’s in way over his head. That
A.O.
May 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gay-book-reviews
I love this book so much. I’m going to break my review into two parts: Storyline and Character.

Storyline:
When I read the blurb the first thing I thought was that there was a lot going on and to be fair there was a lot going on.
Calling it a romance book would be unfair because of the mystery/ suspense subplots (Yup there were several subplots). Calling it a mystery/suspense book would also be wrong because Bert and Will’s developing relationship remained at the center of everything.
For a while I
Lisa The Novel Approach
The author tackles the hard subjects in this series, and handles them with aplomb. The entire series has running themes of consent, dominance and submission of both the sexual and non-sexual variety, and many others. In this story, Bert has self-esteem and body issues. But he knows it and he owns it. He’s a rather flashy character, and I was a bit put off by him at first. He seemed to be older, more settled in the previous book than what is portrayed here, but he only had a small bit of screen ...more
Sherry
Jun 27, 2016 rated it liked it

For some reason the characters didn't engage me as much as the MC's in #1 and #2 did. Bert seemed rather wimpy and Will really not very connected to him. The "mystery" was summarily wrapped up almost as an afterthought. I did like (view spoiler).

If you've read and enjoyed the first two, though, this still is a don't miss read.
Angel
May 30, 2016 rated it liked it
An intriguing ending to the series. Full review to come to The Novel Approach soon.
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
Reviewed on The Blogger Girls

To gain information on solving the Leader Murders, Bert must act as ambassador in the Fey Court. Unfortunately, Bert didn’t expect his life to spin so out of control and before he knows it, he’s intrigued the Court Interrogator, Sir William Sims. Except, Will isn’t all he appears and might just be on Bert’s side but when the Fey King is assassinated, Will has an outrageous plan that might just cost them both their lives.

I’ve loved Bert since he first showed up in
Mai Hyukkie
คูนีคือดีย~~~ ชอบบบบบบบ ทำเอาเราวางไมลงเลยนะ อยากตะลุยอานใหจบ ดูสิจะลงเอยกันแบบไหนนนนน
เสียดายอยางเดียวเลมนี ทีฉากโรแมนซของทังคูไมคอยมี แตความสัมพันธของทังคูดูชัดเจนและดีเขาใจได~

ในความสัมพันธของเบิรตและวิล กคอยๆเปนไป
เบิรตมีความกลัวในเรืองการทีมีคนรักแลวจะคิดวาเปนการทรยศตอจาฝูงไวส จึงไมเปิดใจหาคูครอง
ในฝังวิลเองกไมเชือใจใคร เพราะในอาณาจักรเฟย มีแตคนทีตองการผลประโยชนจากเขาทังนัน
ดวยอารมณและบุคลิตตางๆ ของทังคูทีสือออกมา ทำใหอานแลวอินอะะะะ ชอบบบบบบบบบ
คือยากอานฮอตๆ ของวิลทีมีตอเบิรตมากกกกกกกกกกกกกกก
Cindra
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable three-book series about werewolves and fey involved in a power struggle. Likable characters, and the sex scenes were very plot-appropriate, and never felt gratuitous. Although most of the story-threads were tied up in book three, there is definitely room to expand the "Leader Murder-verse", and I wouldn't mind reading more about the fey, the werewolves, the fey who have become werewolves, and the Paranormal Bureau of Investigation, in general.
Toofan
Jul 30, 2017 rated it liked it
It started promising but half way through the story the MCs' characters changed completely to an extend that I was wondering if I'm still reading the same book. The conflict resolutions were unrealistic and simplistic. And the ending was unsatisfactory. I'm deeply disappointed!
Andrea
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I like this series!
Skye Blue ☆*~゚ლ(´ڡ`ლ)~*☆
I did really enjoy this addition to the series. It's not my favorite of the series, but it was still good.
I really liked Bert.
The ring piqued my interest throughout.

It's not just the connection to past characters that connect these books. The same case from book 1 is still being explored. It's been an ongoing theme through the series.

I really hope this is not the final book in the series. I like the world.
Tina
Sep 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A King and a Pawn by Liv Olteano is the third book in the Leader Murders: Case, 3. I will say I think you should read these books in order. I felt like I was missing something throughout this book, and I think that is why. I really think the core story is enough to carry the book, but if you had the back knowledge this book would be a really spectacular read.
We have a story sorta already in progress. Bert's sister is a pack trader. He was the clueless beta who never saw that coming. He has
Brandilyn
Oct 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2016, mm
This title was originally reviewed for Prism Book Alliance

The Leader Murders are part paranormal, part romance, and part mystery. Exactly what I have been needing in my books lately. Each of the three stories revolves around a different central couple but involve the main characters from the other two installments. They also all revolve around the so-called "Leader Murders".

For complete Review see http://www.prismbookalliance.com/?p=5...

Melanie
Jul 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words review

Rating: 4.75 stars out of 5

For the Full Review: http://wp.me/p220KL-7IL

From that review: "Bert is one of those characters readers flock to emotionally like geese to water. He's vulnerable, full of self doubts, loving, loyal, capable of being so much more than he thinks he is. He's overweight but instead of feeling bad about himself, he accepts it. He likes it in fact...because in truth he will never give up his sweets or the fact the he adores cooking.
Suze
Nov 12, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Suze by: Won from DSP on JJ
This was one of the DSP summer releases I won on Joyfully Jay and actually, I enjoyed it more than I thought I would - paranormal/AU not being a big draw for me.
I would say that reading books 1 & 2 would make more sense of the story, the past murders, the investigation and the key investigation. Whilst I did get the gist of it all, this was a definite follow on rather than an installment.
There were various power struggles in the Council and the Court and generally they were well written but
JR
Jun 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone wanting a fun series
Bert Cooper has to prove his loyalty, with that in mind, he accepts the job of being an envoy to the Fey Council. The alpha of the werewolf communities believes the Fey have something to do with the murders that have been committed within his pack. He needs Bert to get some answers. Bert hopes he can get the job done, but he isn't prepared for the handsome, elegant head interrogator.

The head interrogator of the Fey Council, Sir Will Sims. becomes interested in Bert the minute he steps into Fey
Lori S.
Aug 13, 2016 rated it liked it
This book drags until about halfway before picking up a bit and becoming something worth reading, but even then, there's a lag. I don't think the characters are quite on the same page when it comes to their relationship and I never got the sense that they have genuine chemistry (a problem all the books in this series have unfortunately).
Feliz
This series just keeps getting better. The third book was my favorite so far; full of magic, intrigue, humor and a dash of mystery. Plus, one of the heroes wasn't picture perfect beautiful for a change.
Tiferet
Love this series, I hope there will be more.
Matt
Jul 17, 2016
Nicole
rated it did not like it
Jul 06, 2016
De3De3
Nov 20, 2018
Andreea1984
Oct 02, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• A Wish Upon the Stars (Tales From Verania #4)
  • Leo Loves Aries (Signs of Love, #1)
  • Cutie and the Beast (Fae Out of Water, #1)
  • A Destiny of Dragons (Tales From Verania, #2)
  • The Consumption of Magic (Tales From Verania, #3)
  • Blood Tied (The Warlock Brothers of Havenbridge, #2)
  • Spell Fall (The Warlock Brothers of Havenbridge, #4)
  • Spell Bound (The Warlock Brothers of Havenbridge, #1)
  • The Lightning-Struck Heart (Tales From Verania, #1)
  • Warlock in Training (Studies in Demonology, #1)
  • Catch a Tiger by the Tail (THIRDS, #6)
  • Thick & Thin (THIRDS, #8)
  • Smoke & Mirrors (THIRDS, #7)
  • Hero
  • Bad Boy's Bard (Fae Out of Water, #3)
  • The Druid Next Door (Fae Out of Water, #2)
  • Sebastian (Family of Lies, #1)
  • No Quick Fix (Torus Intercession #1)
Voracious reader, music lover, and coffee addict extraordinaire. And occasional geek. Okay, more than occasional.

Lover of diversity and quirky character, spamificating the world via https://twitter.com/LiviaOlteano and https://www.facebook.com/LiviaOlteano .
Be afraid, be very afraid. :D

Leader Murders (3 books)
  • A Tooth For a Fang (Leader Murders #1)
  • A Counselor Among Wolves (Leader Murders, #2)