Start by marking “Goodbye, Things: The New Japanese Minimalism” as Want to Read:
Goodbye, Things: The New Japanese Minimalism

Goodbye, Things: The New Japanese Minimalism

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  8,933 Ratings  ·  1,261 Reviews
Fumio Sasaki is not an enlightened minimalism expert; he’s just a regular guy who was stressed at work, insecure, and constantly comparing himself to others—until one day he decided to change his life by reducing his possessions to the bare minimum. The benefits were instantaneous and absolutely remarkable: without all his “stuff,” Sasaki finally felt true freedom, peace o ...more
Published April 11th 2017 by W. W. Norton Company (first published June 12th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Goodbye, Things, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Goodbye, Things

7jane
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read a couple of books on minimalist lifestyle, and this is one of the best in my opinion. I especially like that all the photos included with the book are at the start, helps to make the book appealing. You can see from them not only single persons, but also a couple, a family and a traveling person's backpack contents (though only scarf can be counted as clothes in it, which leaves me wondering about the rest of the clothes that could be there).

This includes the author's own pictures and
Trish
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sasaki’s photographs in the beginning of this book jolt one awake to what he means by minimalism. Some people are so radical that it makes the rest of us look like hoarders. But by the end of this very simply-written and superbly-argued short book, most of the arguments we have for cluttering our space and complicating our lives are defeated.

One must recognize at some point that whatever dreams are mixed up in purchases we have made, the potential of the ideas quickly fade when not acted on imm
Justin Tate
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’m now a minimalist.
Paul Secor
Dec 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Some thoughts on Goodbye, Things:

Mr. Sasaki writes about minimalism in maximalist manner. A good editor could have cut this book down to the length of a magazine article, added a few of the book's photographs, and nothing much would have been lost. In fact, the book could have almost been condensed to the "55 tips to help you say goodbye to your things" on the last few pages of the book. That would have been true minimalism. But then, Mr. Sasaki wouldn't have had a book to sell.

Mr. Sasaki writes
Joseph
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Picked this up as a $1.99 audible book.

I have been a minimalist so sorts for quite a while. In the Marines I could pack up everything I owned into two sea bags. Married, a kid, college (books) and I kind of lost it. Now with a life I could pack into a midsize hatchback (with a bike rack) I am back.

Sasaki can physically pack up his life and move in 30 minutes. I can’t. He lives in a 200 square meter apartment. I like going to Ikea and have imagined I could be happy in one of their display micro
Nguyễn Quang Vũ
Đầu tiên phải nói về cái Tít. Quyển này có tên tiếng Nhựt Bổn là: "ぼくたちに、もうモノは必要ない。 断捨離からミニマリストへ". Đương nhiên là tớ copy paste chứ hiểu chết liền luôn nếu không có thằng Google Translate. Ý cái Tít là: Không cần cái gì nữa, tối giản đi mà sống ... Đại khái thế. Xuất bản bằng tiếng Anh thì nó tên là "Goodbye, Things: On Minimalist Living". Nói chung là không có chữ nào liên quan đến việc cả nước Nhật sống như thế cả. Cơ mà dân nhà mình xính ngoại. Kiểu làm dạy con làm giàu thì học người Do Thái ...more
T for Tongue-tied
I've decided not to rate this book as it seems wrong to me to put other people's views into a 5 star system, however different they may be from mine. I don't necessarily agree with the logic behind adopting the philosophy of spareness but I see why it can be appealing to those who've made their life out of it.

Having said that, I did not find this book completely irrelevant. There were fragments in "Goodbye, Things" that were even interesting, such as those describing how we react to various sti
Alice
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received an advanced copy from Goodreads, and was, to be honest, skeptical at first. Hasn't Marie Kondo already turned the minimalism trend around? Sasaki's book is his own, however. He is a humble and honest guide throughout the book. Sasaki offers insights on minimalism through his own mind and life. I really enjoyed reading the book. It felt very cleansing, like taking a shower at the end of a long day.

I took notes throughout the book, for personal reference. Here is a slice:
* Our minds are
Kathryn
May 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Fumio Sasaki takes minimalism to an entirely new level. I could not live in such a fundamental environment. I need beauty and plant life; my home is my sanctuary, not just a place to sleep. This lifestyle works for him and others, I am sure, but just not for me. I much prefer William Morris's quote "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
Darwin8u
Feb 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, nonfiction
“Minimalism is built around the idea that there’s nothing that you’re lacking.”
― Fumio Sasaki, Goodbye, Things: The New Japanese Minimalism

description

I wasn't a fan of the writing. Perhaps, I went in expecting more of a Zen minimalism asthetic. Perhaps, I am just comparing it to other design/living books that seemed to resonate better (S, M, L, XL, A Place of My Own: The Education of an Amateur Builder, Wabi-Sabi: For Artists, Designers, Poets & Philosophers, etc.). By the end of the book, it all just
Kelli
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
I’m not interested in becoming this extreme of a minimalist, nor did this book hold my attention, though I did finish it. This is super extreme...as in you only need one fork and nothing on the walls, as in you don’t need chairs if you “host” your friends at a local restaurant and use the local cafe as your living room. I found the sweeping generalization that you cannot lead a life of gratitude whilst owning a lot of things to be a little offputting, not to mention, very subjective.

Overall, I d
Caro M.
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
So you thought Marie Kondo was funny when she told us to get rid of the garbage in our homes and to only keep the stuff that gave us "sparks of joy"?
Well, Fumio Sasaki goes deeper - he says it's awesome that there are things that give us those "sparks of joy" and he tells us to get rid of them all!!!
Fumio is a minimalist and I dare say an extremist too - he got rid of 95% of the stuff he used to own, including hundreds of books, CDs, DVDs, expensive multimedia devices and fancy clothes and man
Bach Tran Quang
Mấy hôm khủng hoảng, đau đầu, không trách trời trách đất, chỉ tự xem lại mình, nhắn nhủ bản thân những điều đã quên trong suốt thời gian đầu tắt mặt tối đã qua và đọc sách.

Cuốn này rất thú vị. Thực ra bản thân đã áp dụng trong gia đình từ lâu rồi, điển hình cho sự thay đổi này là mẹ. Những gì cũ nát, lâu không dùng đến, những bộ quần áo không mặc, đồ bài trí không cần thiết đều đã được giải tán, ủng hộ hết. Nhà cửa không ngồn ngộn đồ, nhìn như triển lãm nữa, khách khứa chỉ ngắm một lần nhưng khô
Amanda NEVER MANDY
**I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.**

Nothing better than throwing out everything you own to make space for nothing. All you need is a bed that doubles as a couch, one set of dishes to cook and eat off of and one towel to dry said dishes and yourself off with. What an easy-peasy, simplified life.

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?!?!?! ONE TOWEL FOR EVERYTHING?!?!?!

That was the moment I realized a minimalist lifestyle was not for me. I know the author says to each their own an
Ksenia
Jan 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read this book in Norwegian. The English version is not available just yet, so I chose to read in Norwegian.

It can be divided in two parts: useful and not useful. Tips are okay and interesting and rewarding to follow. As a minimalist myself, I have already tried a lot of things listed in the book. An author, however, goes to extreme version of minimalistic approach to life, trying to persuade us to come with him. Someone might find it okay, someone might be taken aback.

To be honest, the w
Rachel (Kalanadi)
Mar 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
If you find the Konmari approach to tidying and reducing possessions a little too strict or kooky, then Goodbye, Things might be a good alternative (and a decent introduction to minimalism). I'm not a minimalist, but I'm increasingly finding that shedding my unneccesary possessions is making me happier and more satisfied.

I liked that this book focuses quite a bit on the psychological and emotional benefits of reducing what you own. It's a very personal testament to how minimalism can improve one
Philippe
Recently I had a 'moment of truth'. We switched houses after almost 25 years at the same place. We knew the whole operation was going to be a challenge because of the thousands of books that had accumulated in that period. However, it turned out the books were easy enough. What really got to us was the thick layer of debris upon which our daily lives had been pullulating. Partly things that had some measure of utility, partly obsolete stuff we had forgotten about and had no connection with at al ...more
Trừng Duyên
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: life-style
Ơ hay lắm, không thất vọng xíu nào luôn. Trước đây cứ mỗi lần chuyển phòng là phải 20 chuyến xe máy dù cách nhau có 1-2 cây số. Thế mới thấy nhục.
Nhiều lần có ý định chuyển nhà mà do đống đồ nên ngại cực. Thôi, khi nào đi học kiểu gì cũng bán sạch để sống cho thoải mái. Hồi nhỏ cũng thần tượng lắm kiểu sống cả tuần mặc mỗi 1 cái áo của anh Mark hay trong Noblesse, mà thật ra mình cũng xài rất ít quần áo, thế mà chẳng hiểu sao áo quần cứ chất đống lên trong phòng, khiến cái phòng 15m2 không có m
Paul A.
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: miscellaneous
The sections "The 55 tips to help you say goodbye to your things" and "the 15 more tips for the next stage of your minimalist journey" were worth the price of admission.

The "before" and "after" pictures were a nice touch.

The only reason I gave it four stars instead of five is because it could have been tighter; the book could have have benefited from a stricter edit. His explanation of what is essentially hedonic adaptation (in the section called "Why do we accumulate so much in the first place?
Deanna
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The strengths of this book are in the psychological and philosophical insights and the general, sometimes practical principles of minimalist living.

The author is a young single professional in Tokyo, and his chosen style of minimalism is basically monastic. But he doesn't preach that style or suggest it's for everyone. So his story isn't an inspirational how-to for most western readers.

There is no joy sparking (though he has opinions about that), there are no packing parties, nor encouragement
lauren
May 23, 2017 rated it did not like it
I hate-read this book for fun. I don't aspire to minimalism, but I would like to get rid of a lot of the stuff in my life. I got a bit out of reading the Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up, and was expecting more along those lines. This book however made Marie Kondo seem like a very reasonable person, and her idea of what to have in your home cozy and comfortable by comparison. The minimalism advocated for in this book is stark and lifeless. A photo of the ideal room was literally an empty room. ...more
Hải Lưu
Quyển này nên đọc Hết mục lục, rồi thôi!

Viết rất kiểu Nhật Bản - tức là kiểu ĐƯƠNG NHIÊN ĐÚNG
Cheryl
Feb 11, 2018 rated it liked it
More memoir than self-help, actually, as so much of what he says does *not* apply universally. And all his 'research' is just reported, there are no notes, bibliography, etc.

Given that, he's got some great insights here. And each reader will find different bits of value to him or her. And it's short and gracefully written/ translated, so get it from your library if you're interested; give it a go.

I liked the photos in the beginning of five different 'cases'--different people's examples. Incomple
Kris
"For a minimalist, the objective isn't to reduce, it's to eliminate distractions so they can focus on the things that are truly important."

17. Organizing is not minimizing.
24. Let go of the idea of getting your money’s worth.
31. Think of stores as your personal warehouses.
43. What if you started from scratch?
34. If you lost it, would you buy it again?

19. Leave your unused space empty.
45. Discard anything that creates visual noise.

+. Question the conventional way you’re supposed to use things.
Ngoc Lien
Apr 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Đối với một người lưu luyến kỉ niệm, thích tích đồ như mình thì ban đầu đọc không thích cái tư tưởng vứt đồ cho lắm. Nhưng đọc dần thì ngấm dần, thông não dần:))
Đọc xong rút ra là sống đơn giản cho đời thanh thản, giải phóng khỏi đồ đạc, dành thời gian và tiền bạc cho việc trải nghiệm, trải nghiệm mới là thứ mang lại hạnh phúc dài lâu. Thông qua việc vứt bỏ đồ đạc, cũng tập dần lối sống buông bỏ những thứ không cần thiết, tập trung vào những thứ thiết yếu, cuộc sống nhẹ nhàng sẽ mang lại hạnh ph
Lisa
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: japan
Such a good book. This is not just about minimizing. It's about changing your whole mind frame about your stuff and stuff in general. You can also replace the word "stuff" for the word "life" in that last sentence. Since this is a book about minimalism, I don't want to be too wordy. I just want to say that I agree with Sasaki-san that we should throw out all the superfluous stuff, and it's all superfluous stuff. 5 stars.
Ran
Feb 06, 2018 rated it liked it
This book is better than the last one I read on minimalism; but I think my complaint will forever be that these books are too long. However, I enjoyed this book more for its Japanese perspective on minimalism, and its reliance on Japanese culture for examples.*

*That being said, Steve Jobs and Apple pop up often in this book.
Phạm Ngọc Hà
Aug 21, 2017 rated it liked it
1. Cuốn sách cũng đã tạo được cảm hứng về một sự thay đổi.

Thực ra, đây là một cuốn sách về vứt đồ (tên tiếng Anh: Things: Goodbye!). Chỉ bằng việc vứt đồ, con người có thể sống vui vẻ hơn, tiết kiệm hơn, thật thà hơn, khoẻ hơn. Không còn cuộc chạy đua mệt mỏi tìm kiếm tiền tài và các giá trị vật chất, một cuộc đua mất cả đời người chẳng xong.

Có những thứ tưởng như không thể thay đổi, như là vận mệnh cố hữu gắn chặt với đời mình vậy, nhưng chỉ nhờ biết cách bỏ bớt đồ đạc, người ta cũng có thể t
Dillon
Apr 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Someone I follow closely once said that "a man's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions."

This was a good follow-up to Sprok Jay and TLMOTU, but I tend to resonate more with the messaging of the first two than this one. This book did have some good insights on how and why to get rid of things, and also went into the philosophy of "the new Japanese minimalism." It's been about seven months since I first implemented こんまり and, though I've been pretty vigilant in keeping it up,
Maureen Lo
I may declutter my wardrobe or bookshelves every now and then but I will never be a minimalist because I just love my books too much to let them go! ;)
Fumio Sasaki is the former co-editor-in-chief of Wani Books, and lives in a 215-square-foot apartment in Tokyo, furnished with a small wooden box, a desk, and a roll-up futon pad.
More about Fumio Sasaki
“Want to know how to make yourself instantly unhappy? Compare yourself with someone else.” 22 likes
“Why do we own so many things when we don’t need them? What is their purpose? I think the answer is quite clear: We’re desperate to convey our own worth, our own value to others. We use objects to tell people just how valuable we are.” 17 likes