Start by marking “Why?: Explaining the Holocaust” as Want to Read:
Why?: Explaining the Holocaust

Why?: Explaining the Holocaust

Despite the outpouring of books, movies, museums, memorials, and courses devoted to the Holocaust, a coherent explanation of why such ghastly carnage erupted from the heart of civilized Europe in the twentieth century still seems elusive even seventy years later. Numerous theories have sprouted in an attempt to console ourselves and to point the blame in emotionally ...more
Published January 17th 2017 by W. W. Norton Company

To ask other readers questions about Why?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why?

Start your review of Why?: Explaining the Holocaust
Clif Hostetler
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
Why? is often a difficult question when asked about simple things. It is many more times difficult when applied to a historical incident as complex and multifaceted as the Holocaust. This book provides a review of history focusing on those facets which enabled the Holocaust.

The following is a compact summary of reasons for the Holocaust as broken down into replies to four why questions.
1. Why the Jews? Because their emancipation in the nineteenth century from centuries of residential and
Shannon (Mrsreadsbooks)
Despite being a very avid reader of historical non-fiction books about the Holocaust and World War 2, I have never read a book that really focused in on why the Holocaust happened. Why the Nazis did the things they did and why they specifically targeted the Jewish population. In this book, the author answers many questions that I imagine a lot of people have about this time period and also goes over a variety of different theories that have been presented over the years.

The book is broken down
Peter (Pete) Mcloughlin
fairly straight forward and tries to emphasize the all too ordinary human impulses that brought this abyss in 20th-century history. The author's point is to present the Holocaust, not as something performed by a monstrous alien race completely divorced from ordinary people or history. No, this act was perpetrated by people like you or me. The demons they unleashed are demons lying dormant in all of us and our politics. It is important not to present the Holocaust or the potential for evil that ...more
Bill Silverman
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Historian Peter Hayes offers a comprehensive stocktaking directed squarely at answering the most central and enduring questions about why and how the massacre of European Jewry unfolded. In this well written and persuasive book, he attempts to set the record straight regarding:
1. Targets: Why the Jews?
2. Attackers: Why the Germans?
3. Escalation: Why Murder?
4. Annihilation: Why This Swift and Sweeping?
5. Victims: Why Didn't More Jews Fight Back More Often?
6. Homelands: Why Did Survival Rates
Scott Martin
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
The title of this book reminds me of a story I heard from college, that one final exam question was simply "Explain the Holocaust". This book was an embodiment of that exam, only a lot longer than an exam booklet, and with more citations. This work does attempt to offer some concise points about the Holocaust. Hayes covers the definition and origins of antisemitism, the origins of German antisemitic feelings and beliefs, how the Nazis leveraged that hatred to come to power, how they initially ...more
Jon Harris
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
The very idea of the word “Holocaust” conjures up feelings of the most despicable kind of evil imaginable. It is normal for those who have detailed knowledge of the horrific mistreatment of Jews in Nazi Germany to wonder what could have motivated such barbarous actions in a civilized country. This is the very question history professor Peter Hayes seeks to answer in Why? Explaining the Holocaust. While Hayes admits his task is not an easy undertaking, he comes as close as perhaps one can to ...more
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
Peter Hayes brings a lucid and thoughtful voice to the discussion of Holocaust history and the events surrounding it. He writes his book with an eye at explaining the complicated and difficult parts with simplicity and nuance, and he does so with astonishing grace. His writing is beautiful, thoughtful and concise.

The book is designed to answer some of the biggest questions that people have about the Holocaust. Each chapter is a major question, and the rest of the chapter is the answer. The
Cathi Davis
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A superbly written book that tries to answer its title question through eight sub-questions ..why the Jews, why the Germans, why murder, why so swift and sweeping, why didn’t Jews fight back, why different survival rates, Why was outside help so limited, and what are the lessons to be learned ?
We have each probably asked at least one of these questions, and the author uses unrelenting statistics and gripping anecdotal stories to answer each of them.

This was a very slow read and after each
Tiffany Brookshire
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beware the beginnings.

If you take away anything from this book, it's to beware the beginnings. This is remarkably well-written, analytical and detached from sensationalism that often pervades other books on the Holocaust. Thoroughly written and clearly researched, the author poses the most common questions about the Holocaust, such as why the Germans? Why the Jews? Debunking common and dangerous myths and misconceptions with historical evidence and proof, Hayes has covered all of the bases for
Pam Irwin
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was not a fun read but very informative. The upsetting topic took much longer to read to fully digest. The book provided important information to better understand the events leading up to the Holocaust and the progression. I can only hope we learn from our past to act better in the future as humans. We have to stay vigilant to recognize these terrible trends are still happening in our world today including areas like Syria, Sudan, Iraq, Somalia, Central African Republic, Myanmar, Nigeria, ...more
Robert Lovenheim
Very readable history, enormous detail and interpretation

Corrects mountains of misinformation and offers a very clear timeline thesis on how and why Germany started on a path to disaster. Above all Hayes is a good storyteller able to relate events and keep his narrative going until the last page. At 432 pages that says a lot--I read it cover to cover.
Renuka
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I had gotten this book from the library. I keep going back to sections and reading parts of it. I think that I want to own a copy and intend to buy the book.
Matt Hooper
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"To enter into the [study of the] Holocaust is to risk enormous disillusionment with human beings and to awaken deep anxiety about how badly things can go wrong in this world." -- Peter Hayes, "Why?: Explaining the Holocaust" (page 324)

At the end of this year -- 2018 -- my wife and I are visiting Germany, Austria and the Czech Republic to celebrate the holidays. We'll be spending at least one of those vacation days at what remains of a World War II concentration camp (Dachau, for sure -- and
Nathan Albright
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: challenge-2019
It is said, to the point of being a cliche, that there is no business like Shoah business, and this book is certainly part of that to such an extent that it expressly seeks to answer the question as to why it exists as a book. Now, this book has very straightforward aims, and that is to answer a series of questions about why the Holocaust happened and why it happened the way it did. The author is very direct about answering these questions, whether it is in exploring the necessary context of the ...more
Andy
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a great exploration of the causes, events and effects of the Holocaust. The clear connections drawn between causes and effects, as well as the great structure of the chapters made it easy to follow and remember. I have read various books on this topic over the years, but I have never read one that is so to the point and so well structured that I am left with answers instead of more questions and some confusion. You can tell that the author has spent decades not only researching this ...more
Mary
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-books
Professor Peter Hayes provides the most cogent and thorough explanation for the eruption and impact of the Holocaust that I've read. Hayes approaches the topic from the viewpoint of an objective historian (as much as possible, considering the subject matter). He organizes the book by targeting the specific questions most often raised about how this tragic carnage could possibly have happened in "civilized" Europe during the 20th century, why more wasn't done to stop it both within and outside of ...more
Carolina
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very elucidating book which has taught me a lot. The goal, to answer the main questions and debunk the main myths is reached and for that I feel like it has been very successful in what it set out to do.

However, I feel like some chapters where a bit too dense with names and numbers to a point of detail which made reading sometimes difficult, which allied to some unclarity in the text led me to being puzzled and feeling like there were a lot of contradictions where probably there was none. I
Dave
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
Peter Hayes has studied and lectured on the Holocaust for more than thirty years, and that is evident in this book. He is able to present arguments from many other researchers as he answers the title question, "Why?" Each chapter addresses a different "Why" question - why the Jews, why the Germans, why this particular time and place, why didn't other nations step in sooner, why didn't more Jews resist aming them.

It is a phenomenal handling of a highly emotional subject without straying from
Tamara Jaffe-Notier
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hayes' socratic method of looking at the facts of the extermination of civilians as practiced by the Nazis before and during WWII is fascinating. Why Germany? Why Jews? It seems like other countries have a longer, more virulent history of antisemitism than Germany. Hayes is very careful with details, and explains statistics in the context of broad social and religious history. A tradition of Catholic anti-semitism was part of Rome's response to fascism in Germany and Italy, plus a fear of ...more
Eric
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book...if you are looking for something to explain everything about the Holocaust this is it.
Why the Jews? Why the Germans? Why wasn't there more retaliation.

It went over every detail...that we all ask ourselves. It went into very vivid detail.
Then it discusses how all of the perpetrators were penalized and then how reparations were made to victims of the Holocaust.
The last chapter discussed how things that happened with the Holocaust relate to recent issues....also how some
Dianne Miller
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a hard book to read, (1) because of the subject, and (2) because it exposed the failings of the human spirit. Not only does the author explain "why the Jews" and "why the Germans" in the early chapters, but how things swiftly turned to murder, why the Jews didn't "fight back", why outside help was so limited, and why survival rates diverged. A final chapter addresses legacies and lessons learned...and how history can -- and should -- be applied to today's world.

It should be required
Ercavallero
Feb 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned, english
Peter Hayes tries to find an answer to the Holocaust. Thousands of books talking about this topic and usually all of them, including this one, reach the same conclusion: because of a storm of economic, political, cultural and social upheavals, indifference, hate and self-interest.

Peter Hayes tries to refute also opinions from other authors writing about the Holocaust, what I’ve found interesting because there are always different points of view.

Almost all writers try to avoid the fact that Adolf
Lisa Konet
It is so important that a subject this delicate is spoken about gently, intelligently and with empathy and compassion. Why? This actually happened and so many suffered and died, but some also survived. I like how this was book was broken down and each section was thoroughly explained and discussed with reasons and several accounts. I think the interest in this was sparked from reading the Tattooist of Auschwitz, and also wanting to learn more from both sides.

Well written and gut wrenchingly
B
The author covers a lot of ground in this scholarly book, trying to answer basic questions such as why the Germans, why murder, why did it happen so quickly, why didn't Jews fight back, where were other countries and how much did they know, etc. There is so much research in this book, no reader will be able to doubt the Holocaust and the incredible amount of people that looked away.

Very thorough, horrifying and frightening, he leaves us with the German proverb: "Beware the beginnings." Which is
Rashid Saif
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
This is a work of 30 years and it shows it, with 24 pages of just selected bibliography. But the book is not only limited to copious citation and corroboration, Hayes provides a meticulous historically evidenced narrative of the Holocaust and uses sociological methodology to prove his points. This book will surprise many of the great amount of myths surrounding the Holocaust, myths from all sides of the horror. An unrelenting historical analysis.
Liz.dibble
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
After visiting Berlin this summer, I was desperate to make sense of all the sites and memorials I had witnessed. The book was so measured and thoughtful, and addressed many of the questions I had been asking about the Holocaust. It is worth making sense of, to inform our actions in communities moving forward. So many themes are starkly relevant today.
Debi Emerson
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
The title says it all: "Why?" This is a very well written and well thought out discussion of the Holocaust. It is also quite chilling in there can be seen parallels between the 1930s & today. The author discusses these as well in his conclusion. I highly recommend this book to any student of history who is interested in the Holocaust.
Salsadancer
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone interested in history.
Answers the questions: Why the Jews? Why the Germans? Why murder and with these means? Why was the eradication of the Jews so nearly successful? I have always been haunted by the Holocaust; Peter Hayes answered my questions. Insightfully written with a mixture of precision and feeling, he nevertheless wore me down with so many facts and figures. It was worse than I ever knew.
Janet
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm giving this book 5 stars only because it dealt more with facts and figures than other Holocaust books I've read. At the end, I felt it missed the rise of Trumpism and the new empowerment of neo Nazis in America however idiotic they may seem. He does mention, Beware the beginnings, which is exactly the fear we need to resist today.
Jeff Lacy
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Long time Northwestern University Professor Peter Hayes brings his experience with an outstanding “go to book” on the topic of the holocaust. Clearly written and organized on basic “Why?” questions that agitate people, Hayes provides illuminating data, detail, and references for which he reflects, analyzes, and comments.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Becoming Dr. Seuss: Theodor Geisel and the Making of an American Imagination
  • Black Earth: The Holocaust as History and Warning
  • How Could This Happen: Explaining the Holocaust
  • To Hell and Back: Europe 1914-1949
“Thus the emergence in February 1879 of Wilhelm Marr and the new word “antisemitism” came as the culmination of a decade of rising reaction against emancipation.” 1 likes
“Antisemitism became institutionalized in elite and conservative society rather than in laws.” 1 likes