Start by marking “American Hookup: The New Culture of Sex on Campus” as Want to Read:
American Hookup: The New Culture of Sex on Campus

American Hookup: The New Culture of Sex on Campus

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  575 ratings  ·  102 reviews
The hookup is now part of college life. Yet the drunken encounter we always hear about tells only a fraction of the story. Rising above misinformation and moralizing, Lisa Wade offers the definitive account of this new sexual culture and demonstrates that the truth is both more heartening and more harrowing than we thought.

Offering invaluable insights for parents, educator
Published January 10th 2017 by W. W. Norton Company

To ask other readers questions about American Hookup, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about American Hookup

really liked it 4.00  ·

Jenny (Reading Envy)
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read2018
About a year ago, some of us who participate in Title IX investigations on my campus were passing around an episode of the Hidden Brain Podcast (NPR) on hookup culture on American campuses. It featured the author Lisa Wade and felt like a true reflection of what occurs on our campus and elsewhere. She came to speak on campus in April and although I couldn't go, I decided to at least read the book. Two months later I finally did.

This book is her research, largely told through stories from interv
Liza Wiemer
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Liza by: My son
Stunning. Eye-opening. Heartbreaking. Complex. Painful. Well-researched.

As someone who mentors, teaches, and writes for young adults, many things in this exceptionally researched book came as no surprise, like how drinking alcohol and hooking up were often linked. But some things did surprise me, like how the research showed that this hookup culture is mostly embraced by white students.

My heart broke many times for these young men and women who force themselves to shut out all emotion to have "
Nadine Jones
I follow Lisa Wade on Facebook, and I find her posts to be interesting, so when I saw she had a book published, i was interested. I put it on hold at my library as soon as I could. Excerpts she posted were great (see link to a Guardian article, below), but I worried the full book would be dry. I needn't have worried! This is fascinating and enlightening and, ultimately, reassuring.

Tristan Bridges
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book will shape debates surrounding "hookup culture" for many years to come. Wade has garnered national and international attention as a public scholar for many years now. She has a knack for clearly explaining insights from sociological research to public audiences in ways that do not detract from the level of sophistication of the science. And her own work is no exception. This book may be written to be read by anyone with an interest in the topic, but it's also a brilliant research proje ...more
Andrew
Aug 11, 2016 rated it liked it
*3.5 stars*

A serious academic looks at hookup culture in the round, terrifying anyone who wishes they could relive their undergrad days. Believe me, you won't. There's an anthropological strain here, which dispassionately looks at the culture, its norms, and its understood rules, including an almost deep-play Geertzian explanation of grinding.

The obvious callouts are here, but the main message is that hookup perpetuates white, hetero, gender stereotypes for both men and women. And, as a culture,
Conor
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Never has someone observed things so well but gotten the conclusions so wrong. Wade fails to see that there is no making a healthy hookup culture. The things she thinks can be eliminated from it are the very inner logic of that culture, features not bugs. This is a tough book to listen to or read but the sociological observation is fascinating. A bit like watching a car crash.
Sezín Koehler
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: culture
Fascinating book. Full review to come over at HuffPost.
Petty Lisbon
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: get-in-formation
This was a great book. Lisa Wade covered a lot of different topics, including who's not a part of the hook up culture, what their social lives are like, and what like is like for students after they leave college. She speaks about how hook up culture is still aimed at men and how it can be improved for women. Although I was a commuter, I enjoyed learning about the secret world of campus after dark and learning about what I missed.
Rachel
Apr 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
Fascinating and eye-opening! Completely make sense as to why my generation has a skewed view on dating. Like the documentary, "The Hunting Ground," everyone needs to read this book!
Susan
Mar 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Probably more like 3.5 stars. The author did a good job of describing the culture on campus rather than just focusing on what is happening, which I thought was a good approach. I especially liked the early chapters that discussed the historical background leading up to the current situation. Anyone who says college students are entitled and bratty today should read these chapters! The UVA riot over students being told that they can't have their muskets on campus that required a response from a m ...more
Ann Rufo
Feb 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Sometimes I bemoan getting old- when I see the rather large number of gray hairs taking over my head, or the depressing deterioration of my eyes, or even having to scroll down so very very far to get to my birthdate for online forms. Then I think about what it is like for young people today, especially as it comes to social media and school and I think, thank fucking god I was too old for that shit.

I'm not saying there wasn't hookups and casual sex in my college years - they have always been th
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
An extremely interesting, well-researched, engaging book on what the sexual culture is like on US college campuses right now. It made me so happy to have long since passed those years of my life. If you're a college student, interact with any college students ever, or just want to feel happy that you're not a college student anymore, you should read this book.
Jolynn
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
For parents of girls and guys heading to college or in college, I would strongly recommend this book. Forewarned is forearmed as they say. I went with four stars for interest, timeliness and relevance of material covered. Up there with Girls & Sex by Peggy Orenstein as a book with information good to know for young people trying to navigate college campuses successfully, happily and safely. Really, I would give this book more like a 3.5 but only because I am not a huge fan of the anecdotal a ...more
Jessica
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Student Affairs professionals, high school and college students and their parents
I picked up this book after hearing the author interviewed on the Hidden Brain podcast. Based on that segment, I expected the book to be much more pessimistic, but instead I found it only to be starkly, sometimes brutally, realistic. Where Wade could have taken a "kids these days" approach, sounding an alarm for parents about the dangerous behavior of their children, she instead focused on making room for the voices of actual college students about the good, bad, and ugly of hookup culture. She ...more
Jen Johnston
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nothing I didn't know before, sadly
Makenzie M
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellently researched, fairly presented, and making a deeper, more nuanced and important argument about hookup culture than any other I've encountered.
Matty Esco
Aug 03, 2017 rated it liked it
A look at the joyless, social-climbing sex prevalent on college campuses. It opens with solid science, then remembers it's a sociology book, takes the for-credit class assignments of 100 students from 2 universities, and uses them to conjecture up some sweeping, apocalyptic generalizations about the death of romance.

You know that illusory superiority phenomenon? How 93% of the US population rated themselves as "above average" drivers? Welp, turns out we overwhelmingly apply the exact opposite to
Jenni V.
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
I didn't learn anything new. Hookups themselves don't bother me but the cavalier attitude about women, or when people feel they have to act drunk to be able to participate, is troubling. I believe the book's research but with everything based on individual accounts and no ideas of changes given (other than the unhelpful "If we want to fix hookup culture, we have to fix American culture" on the last page), I don't see why the book was written.

I understand changing the names but I didn't understan
Michelle Boyer
Note: I received this this book in a GoodReads giveaway in exchange for an honest review.

This book revolves around a great topic, and there is surely a lot to discuss when it comes to sex culture on college campuses. While I agree with other reviews below that there are actually a lot of these types of books, and this is not the first, that doesn't mean that this book is not worth reading.

However, I'd call it average scholarship. I have two significant problems with the text itself that I cont
John H
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, mpl
This is a scholarly look at the world of “hookup culture” in American colleges and universities. “Hookup” is the phrase du jour for “casual sex”. The author is a professor who gathered much of the data for this book from surveys completed by her students in a sociology class. The main premise is that the hookup itself is not necessarily problematic, but the culture surrounding the hookup is.

This book is well-written, and I feel that the author did a good job of presenting a broad view of this su
Feb 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommended to Sarah by: JK
Easy to read, interesting topic, claims were generally verified by friends of mine of the appropriate age.
Kelly
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Working on a college campus made this book feel relevant even though my own college days are long gone. I appreciated the deep/broad research that underpins the book's narrative and the many personal stories from students themselves. I also enjoyed the historical context of dating culture from days of yore. No hand-wringing here-- more of an effort to describe and understand how college students are relating to each other and to sex, plus an analysis of how all of this fits into the broader cult ...more
Leonard
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This carefully researched book about student "hooking up" on college campuses around this country is timely and sobering. Many students engage in "hooking up" an awful term for what should be a beautiful, private, and endearing experience. Such spontaneous sexual activity with no commitment and real love certainly has the roots of multiple problems. Lisa Wade researched the problem rather thoroughly and recorded the comments of many students. She has some good advice for the reader although her ...more
Donnell
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Enlightening.

From this book we learn:

1. Relationships are not practical for those with career plans, especially women, therefore many women actually want to avoid them.
2. Little physical connection with hookups. The idea being—it can only be for one time or there’s a risk it will look like it wants to be a relationship.
3. No need for actual intercourse. Hookups are defined as a range of sexual contacts, intercourse being but one of them. In fact, in this new era, with the attitude towards inter
Elizabeth
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 20s
This book wins the superlative for being the most readable sociology book that exists to share an individual's research. I could say it three more times—ermegerd this book is so readable! And engaging! Of course, the subject matter was also super relevant, and I appreciate that component. I've been wanting to read this for some time now, which was confirmed by a sneak peak of listening to a bit of the audiobook that my housemate was listening to. I find that an insider-outsider's non-judgmental ...more
Ginni
Dec 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: High school graduates, college students
Fascinating, insightful, scientific, and sensitive, American Hookup takes a close look at the culture of casual sex on college campuses. There's no clear agenda here--Wade records what she sees and is told faithfully without much judgment or commentary, seemingly more interested in observing culture than in trying to influence it. I can't help thinking, though, that simply examining and questioning the prevalent culture is a revolutionary act in some ways.

I was disappointed to see a lot of clai
Kelli
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a great book. I’m not a college student or a parent, or any kind of campus employee – you wouldn’t think the topic would have relevance for me! But I read it just for fun, and it turns out to be so relatable no matter what your age or situation. It absolutely made me see things differently as I went about my life at work, bars, or any social situation. I also prefer to read for entertainment rather than education – you have to sneak in the education part – and this book does a great job of ...more
Gabriella
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Transformative. I have been talking nonstop about this book since I read it. I originally was hooked by Wade's appearance on a podcast. This book labels, identifies and analyzes elements of college life that others are scared to talk about. Wade presents an unbiased view of hookup culture and doesn't shame the participants. But she gives such a detailed and well-researched view of it that the negative impacts seem undeniable. I wish every incoming first-year student would read it.

I thought her
Ashley Holstrom
I picked up American Hookup purely for the cover, and it did not disappoint. Lisa Wade teaches a sexuality course and talks to her students throughout their college careers, compiling data along the way. Mostly, everyone thinks everyone else is having more sex than they’re having, so they have sex even when they sometimes don’t want to. It’s like sex is the only thing people go to college for. It’s a wild ride, and an absolutely fascinating look at sex on campus.

From 13 Fabulous Feminist Audiobo
LeAnne
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
I won this book through a Goodreads giveaway, and I am so thankful! What an eye-opener! We have four children, the youngest is eleven and the oldest is sixteen. This book has SO MUCH information that will be helpful in the college years that are coming soon for our family. Many of the topics discussed are uncomfortable to discuss with adolescent children, but very necessary. My husband and I were shocked to hear of some of the things happening on college campuses today. What a great tool for par ...more
  • The Curse: Confronting the Last Unmentionable Taboo: Menstruation
  • The Nasty Women Project: Voices from the Resistance
  • The Marriage-Go-Round: The State of Marriage and the Family in America Today
  • She Takes a Stand: 16 Fearless Activists Who Have Changed the World
  • Reading Picture Books With Children: How to Shake Up Storytime and Get Kids Talking about What They See
  • You Have the Right to Remain Fat
  • Gun Baby Gun: A Bloody Journey into the World of the Gun
  • Gay & Lesbian History for Kids: The Century-Long Struggle for LGBT Rights, with 21 Activities
  • Emmett Till: The Murder That Shocked the World and Propelled the Civil Rights Movement (Race, Rhetoric, and Media Series)
  • F 'em!: Goo Goo, Gaga, and Some Thoughts on Balls
  • Hood
  • Pimp State: Sex, Money, and the Future of Equality
  • Fear of a Queer Planet: Queer Politics and Social Theory
  • Click: When We Knew We Were Feminists
  • The App Generation: How Today's Youth Navigate Identity, Intimacy, and Imagination in a Digital World
  • In a Day's Work: The Fight to End Sexual Violence Against America’s Most Vulnerable Workers
  • 90s Bitch: Media, Culture, and the Failed Promise of Gender Equality