Start by marking “Ice Ghosts: The Epic Hunt for the Lost Franklin Expedition” as Want to Read:
Ice Ghosts: The Epic Hunt for the Lost Franklin Expedition

Ice Ghosts: The Epic Hunt for the Lost Franklin Expedition

“Intriguing. . . . The notable originality of Ice Ghosts lies in the fact that it brings the story right up-to-date. . . . [Watson] provides sharp and entertaining portraits of the various Franklin obsessives whose experience and expertise fed into the 2008 initiative.” (Ian McGuire, author of The North Water, New York Times Book Review)

“A splendid achievement.” (Ken McCoo
Published March 21st 2017 by W. W. Norton Company

Endurance by Alfred LansingThe Worst Journey in the World by Apsley Cherry-GarrardThe Last Place on Earth by Roland HuntfordThe Ice Master by Jennifer NivenThe Endurance by Caroline Alexander
To the Poles
99 books — 58 voters
In the Heart of the Sea by Nathaniel PhilbrickThe Perfect Storm by Sebastian JungerEndurance by Alfred LansingA Night to Remember by Walter LordShadow Divers by Robert Kurson
Shipwrecks!
86 books — 92 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Ice Ghosts: The Epic Hunt for the Lost Franklin Expedition
Diane S ☔
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lor
I am fascinated by anything to do with the Arctic, a place I will never go, truth to tell probably not even want to go, but I love reading about this extremely cold, ice packed place. Add in the Franklin Expedition and the very long effort it took to find the wrecks of Erebus and Terror, and I'm all in.

Starts in 1845 with the expedition itself, for John Franklin, now in his seventies this is his last ditch effort to find and complete the northwest passage and to redeem his shattered reputation.
Matt
May 11, 2017 rated it liked it
So, you’ve had a bad day?

Maybe.

But consider yourself lucky that your boss wasn’t Sir John Franklin, and that your day job wasn’t as a sailor on Franklin’s mid-19th century, multi-year Arctic expedition. Because no matter what, your day at work probably didn't involve getting stuck fast in the ice, disappearing from outside human contact, and dying agonizingly in the frozen wastes, numbed by cold, ravaged by hunger, perhaps brought low by botulism, forced, by inches, to contemplate the unthinka
Nancy
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In 1847 Sir John Franklin left England and his adoring wife Lady Jane to seek the fabled Northwest Passage. He was 59 years old and it was his fourth journey to the Arctic. He had survived starvation on his second journey. This expedition was prepared with three years of food, included new-fangled canned foods. He had powerful, heated ships. The explorer Ross promised to rescue Franklin if he did not come home.

Nothing went as planned. Extreme ice stranded the ships. Their canned food was tainted
Krista
No chain of islands on Earth is more vicious than the Arctic Archipelago. Like teeth lining colossal jaws, some ninety-four large islands, and 36, 469 smaller ones, stretch across a territory about half the size of the contiguous United States. They can bite down and swallow ships whole. Even the earliest, most hopeful, searchers, who mapped large parts of the archipelago as they looked for Erebus and Terror and their crews, knew it would take a miracle to find anyone in that gigantic maw.

In his
Jean
The oceans always have some great unsolved mystery disappearances. In the mid- 1840s the Royal Navy bomb ketches, HMS Erebus and HMS Terror disappeared in the Arctic of Canada.
Paul Watson tells the story of their loss and discovery in his book “Ice Ghosts: The Epic Hunt for the Lost Franklin Expedition”. The two ships and every member of their crews-129 officers, seamen, and marines under the command of the Admiralty’s third choice for the job, Rear Admiral Sir John Franklin-were lost somewhere
Randolph
A compelling read that nevertheless has a few issues. This type of book, a popular narrative history, is always fraught with a number of pitfalls. Watson plays fast and loose with the facts in the historical first half of the book. As many historians do, he gets to pick and choose which facts to emphasize in order to make his read more exciting and make the failures more tragic. A particular example is of the many crackpot psychic explorations of the expedition's fate, Watson focuses on the Weez ...more
Susanna - Censored by GoodReads
The author has won a Pulitzer.

I regret to say that I am less than 10% in and can report at least one sentence fragment, and multiple spliced sentences.

The topic is fascinating - but the writing is getting on my nerves. (My parents are English professors, and I feel the urge to pull out a red pen.)
Bon
Once again, I am team Unpopular Opinion it seems, because I enjoyed this despite the slightly lower rating.

For me this was a different, refreshing spin on the Franklin disaster, focusing as it does towards the end on more indigenous sociology and folklore of the region than most recounting, and also the Canadian politics at play during the most recent, successful searches. Maybe the author not seeming a fan of Stephen Harper put people off, I dunno.

Anyways, the search is mostly what you CAN
Nick Borrelli
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review of this title. So, the failed Franklin Expedition of 1845 has been a subject that I have been obsessed with ever since reading The Terror by Dan Simmons. For those not familiar with the lost expedition, Sir John Franlin set out from England in the mid 19th century to find the elusive Northwest Passage. The purpose of the expedition was to shorten the amount of time it would take to conduct trade between Europ ...more
WendyB
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, own
Having both read Dan Simmon's book The Terror and watched the AMC show based on it, I wanted to know a bit more of the history of the Franklin Expedition. This was an excellent way to learn about the expedition, the search for survivors, and what was happening in the world at the time.
Karyl
As I discussed some of the events of this book, my husband pointed out that I'm a little obsessed with the Arctic. Yes, that is true. Why that is, I cannot say. I can't see myself going there, unless it's on a cruise from Norway to check out Svalbard, where Christianne Ritter lived with her husband for an entire polar winter, as told in her memoir A Woman in the Polar Night. I did check out a few articles about the events of this book online, such as the graves of some of the Franklin men on Bee ...more
Jason
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the things that separates us humans from the animals is our stubbornness. That stubbornness is at the heart of this 150 yr old mystery. The British Navy sent ship after ship into the Artic to hunt for a shortcut to the Pacific, a brand new trade route. The problem was all that ice, the ships that went there could end up stuck in the ice for years or as with the Franklin expedition they might not come back at all. Makes me think what was the point, if they found a route it would only be us ...more
Joyce
Dan Simmon's novel, The Terror, was my introduction to the failed Franklin Expedition in 1845--a voyage of discovery to find that elusive Northwest Passage that would like Atlantic and Pacific oceans. Since then, I've read several books that relate to Arctic (and Antarctic) exploration, both fiction and nonfiction, and now that I think back, I wonder if Andrea Barrett's fabulous Voyage of the Narwhal touched on Franklin as well. The snow and ice almost always win, but really when you've named yo ...more
Jordan
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Maybe 2.5 Stars.

Fascinating story, but this telling left me disappointed. The best section is the first part of Part III, but the author digresses back to his tendencies to over-dramatize, speculate, and repeat himself (perhaps to make up for the at times scattershot/tangential story telling). Probably could have dropped half the book and told a more concise and meaningful story.
Angelique Simonsen
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I only picked this up because of the author being a Pulitzer prize winner. Turned out to be a fascinating read. A lesson about how you treat the natives of the land in this book too. Highly recommended even though I'm not usually one for nautical wrecks.
Prima Seadiva
Audiobook. Reader pretty good.
More trekking through arctic, this time looking for a lost expedition lost while looking for a northern passage across the north arctic. One most interesting thing about this was the obsession of Franklin's wife to find him. Leaving her with power of attorney over his estate, she had the money to have it done. Her family thought she was crazy and tried unsuccessfully to stop her and get her money.
Another thing of note was the unpreparedness of many of the 19th centu
Cheryl
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a well written book about the lost Franklin Expedition. The book is broken down into three parts, which gives an overview of the expedition, the hunt over a hundred and sixty some years and then the discovery. The follies and arrogance of humans can be seen in this history. It was pleasing to see a peek of Inuit culture in this book. Overall, an enjoyable and interesting read.
Ben
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this history of the Franklin Expedition, and the search for its lost ships and crew, absolutely fascinating!

The book does a very good job outlining the mission of Franklin and his crew in exploring the Canadian Arctic in search of the Northwest Passage. It also details the experiences of those left at home, most notably Lady Jane Franklin, who kept the hope of finding her husband and his crew, alive or dead, for many decades to come.

Watson is a great writer, and investigator. I really ap
Peter
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Paul Watson's "Ice Ghosts" brings the long, often confusing, muddled, politically bungled attempt of the search for the answers to what happened to the Franklin expedition into a sharper focus. Since both the "Erebus" and "Terror" have been found, Watson is able to cast a critical eye on both why the search took so long and, ultimately, what lead to the final discovery of both ships.

First, the Inuit of the North finally get the credit they rightfully deserve. Both in the early days of the search
Liz De Coster
A well-researched adventure narrative focusing on one of the big mysteries of Arctic exploration. Watson adds considerable value to a frequently debated story by providing ample information on Inuit involvement in British exploration of the Arctic by detailing oral histories, cultural practices, etc.

The narrative thread does get bogged down in a few places, both when the author is filling in backstory for dramatis personae that muddles the timeline and in some of the detailed description of ear
Rob Neyer
Jul 25, 2017 rated it liked it
The first half of the book is a solid account of the doomed Franklin Expedition, and the 19th Century efforts to locate survivors, although the three maps included before the text simply aren't detailed enough. The second half of the book is a meandering, discombobulated, more-than-occasionally confusing account of the late-20th and early 21st Century searches for Franklin's two ships. I wish the last 170 pages of the book had been more like 70 pages, and focused on just a few of the key figures ...more
Paula
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
I kept telling myself I should be impressed by this book or maybe enjoying it because this guy won a Pulitzer. But the book was so poorly structured, I was adrift with the flotsam from other times, places, people, and had to paddle desperately to keep track of the narrative line, not to mention to make sense of his needlessly convoluted sentences.

I'd give this one star for its sheer annoyance value, but I did manage to learn things, so here's a grudging two.
Karen
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nature, history
Much has been written about the lost Franklin expedition, but I have never read a book that so seamlessly weaves what is known about this history with the history of those who traveled to explore the mysteries of the men who disappeared. A well-researched and intriguing read!
David Schumacher
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Paul Spence
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Parts of this book are the most interesting thing I've read in awhile. Its best parts revolve around the Inuit and their oral traditions that lead to the discovery of HMS Erebus and HMS Terror. Not to mention the laymen and others that the Royal Navy regarded as crackpots following the Franklin disappearance; these sections make for some of the best writing in the book. Another part that shines through is Watson's treatment of Lady Jane Franklin who used her fortune to try to figure out what bec ...more
Laura Floyd
Found this on a Tattered Cover bargain shelf and I didn't even look at the sticker before I marched it up to the cash register. Arctic exploration belongs right up there in my wacky extreme-exploration-infatuation with all those Everest books. I've read Dan Simmons' fictional account of what happened to that expedition, so getting a deep look into the history behind the story appealed greatly.

The Franklin Expedition leaves the UK in 1845 in search of the Northwest passage. They are last seen by
Warren Benton
This book falls right into the wheelhouse of my favorite type of book.  Mixing what happened in history to modern day discoveries this book captures your imagination as you ponder what happened to the Franklin expedition on their search for a Northwest Passage.

Sir John Franklin set out to find the Northwest Passage.  He had been a captain more than once in the artic and was a well-trusted officer of the Royal Navy.  He was a little older than most when taking on what would be his final explorati
Gilda Felt
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’ve been interested in the Franklin expedition since reading Dan Simmons’ The Terror, several years ago. And I’d long wished that the two lost ships would someday be found. So I was very excited when they actually were, and looked forward to reading about that search.

I rather naively thought that the finding of each ship was done by a small, but dedicated group of archaeologists, combing the vast arctic sea for the remains of these two ships. Well, I got part of it right.

The book goes into deta
Larry
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Andrew Lambert's "The Gates of Hell" has set the standard for me for several years, but Watson's book benefits from a bit of good research and a dogged expedition's findings last year. The research involves Inuit sources that highlight the survivors' last days. The research involves the expedition's discovery of both the "Terror" and the "Erebus," and the further discovery that the Franklin expedition survivors actually found a Northwest Passage before they died.
Steven Yenzer
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was ok
I picked this up because I enjoyed Dan Simmons's The Terror. Unfortunately the story of the hunt for the truth behind the Franklin expedition is much less enthralling than Simmons's fiction. My interest waned until this became a slog and I started to wonder why so much time and energy was being expended to find these lost ships. Watson's writing doesn't help -- he seems determined to make every moment epic and poetic, and the effect is to make everything seem boring.
Goodreads Librari...: ICE GHOSTS Paperback 5 12 Jan 10, 2018 02:24PM
Polar Explorers: * Ice Ghosts by Paul Watson 4 12 Aug 05, 2017 06:36PM
map info in ARC 2 3 Apr 29, 2017 11:46AM
Goodreads Librari...: Incorrect author bio and unrelated book links 4 24 Dec 29, 2016 01:16PM

• Frozen in Time: The Fate of the Franklin Expedition
  • The Man Who Ate His Boots: The Tragic History of the Search for the Northwest Passage
  • Erebus: The Story of a Ship
  • Captain Francis Crozier: Last Man Standing?
  • Franklin's Lost Ship: The Historic Discovery of HMS Erebus
  • Finding Franklin: The Untold Story of a 165-Year Search
  • To the Edges of the Earth: 1909, the Race for the Three Poles, and the Climax of the Age of Exploration
  • James Fitzjames: the Mystery Man of the Franklin Expedition
  • Ice Blink: The Tragic Fate of Sir John Franklin's Lost Polar Expedition
  • The Ghost Ships of Archangel: The Arctic Voyage That Defied the Nazis
  • Alone on the Ice: The Greatest Survival Story in the History of Exploration
  • The Equations of Life: How Physics Shapes Evolution
Paul Watson is a Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist and best selling author, whose accolades include a Canadian National Magazine Award, the George Polk Award and Hal Boyle Award, both for foreign reporting, the Robert Capa Gold Medal and the Freedom of the Press Award. He is also featured in Dan O'Brien's award winning and critically acclaimed play, "The Body of an American," and Martyn Burke's Ac ...more