Start by marking “Transgender Children and Youth: Cultivating Pride and Joy with Families in Transition” as Want to Read:

These days, it is practically impossible not to hear about some aspect of transgender life. Whether it is the bathroom issue in North Carolina, trans people in the military, or on television, trans life has become front and center after years of marginalization.

And kids are coming out as trans at younger and younger ages, which is a good thing for them.

But what written res
Published May 2nd 2017 by W. W. Norton Company

To ask other readers questions about Transgender Children and Youth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Transgender Children and Youth

Start your review of Transgender Children and Youth: Cultivating Pride and Joy with Families in Transition
James
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If a library (or individual) could only have one book on the transgender experience/issues, this would probably be the one to have. It is incredibly comprehensive, even if it is focused primarily on youth issues and processes.

This is especially true for people coming at the topic from a faith tradition - the author is incredibly tolerant and even-handed. I left a faith in part because of LGBT rights issues (and in part because...science). He makes the coexistence seem more possible than I would
Terynce
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It was easy to read and think it covered a variety of perspectives, at least for a layperson. I would think it would be beneficial for anyone providing support for children and youth, including medical professionals, parents, educators, and other care givers.

The excerpts that were interspersed really gave it a personal feel and made the information more impactful, as well as providing natural breaks to the sections.

It's hard to imagine that treating people like peop
Mark Syron
Sep 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt-nonfiction
A fantastic book into looking into trans youth. It is easy to read and comprehend and interesting with the case studies thrown into to contextualize the text. Makes me wish I could go back in the time of my life and have a chance to come out as a youth- just in this generation though.

Overall an excellent read and a great resource to parents of trans youth and professionals who deal with trans youth.
Michelle
Wonderful and important book for anyone, especially those who work with youth. Dr. Nealy's writing is clear, powerful, and helpful. I read this as part of an optional summer bookclub that my school district sponsored. I am so happy to have gained new insights, stories, and applied strategies I can use going forward to be a supportive advocate for all people. ...more
Amber
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a compassionate, sensitive, extremely informative book.
River
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a great resource for parents of trans kids or professionals working with trans youth. Would definitely recommend!
Larry Koester
Laura White
Apr 23, 2020
Sherry
Feb 07, 2018 added it
Primarily a book intended for Social Workers and Mental Health professionals for working with children, youth and families who are transitioning their gender identity. It is a well written and thorough examination of the societal and personal issues that might be encountered and how to handle them from a professional capacity. Everything from correct / respectful terminology, discrimination, legal issues, to physiological medical, emotional, familial, and spiritual aspects of transitioning. The ...more
Ashley Bonnette

• Cassandra Speaks: When Women Are the Storytellers, the Human Story Changes
  • The Lager Queen of Minnesota
  • Stargazing
  • Sheets (Sheets, #1)
  • Neurodharma: New Science, Ancient Wisdom, and Seven Practices of the Highest Happiness
  • Humans of New York: Stories
  • "You're in the Wrong Bathroom!": And 20 Other Myths and Misconceptions about Transgender and Gender-Nonconforming People
  • Devotions: The Selected Poems of Mary Oliver
  • She/He/They/Me: For the Sisters, Misters, and Binary Resisters
  • WOLFPACK: How to Come Together, Unleash Our Power, and Change the Game
  • Feminism is for Everybody: Passionate Politics
  • The Trees
  • Feminism: Reinventing the F-Word

News & Interviews

“Being told you are not who you know yourself to be is trauma [page 321]” 1 likes