Start by marking “No Boring Stories” as Want to Read:
No Boring Stories

No Boring Stories

A group of odd animals is annoyed when a bunny tries to infiltrate their writing group. What could she possibly offer to their group? Surely she only wants to write about sharing and mommies and cuddling!

A story about finding your people and following your heart, even if your heart is telling you to write about evil attacking grapes from outer space.
Published November 6th 2018 by Viking

To ask other readers questions about No Boring Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Boring Stories

Elizabeth A
Jan 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-ya, art, 2019
A group of friends are part of a writing group, and they plan on writing a story is that will NOT have the following:
- Mommy cats tucking fluffy kittens into bed
- Fuzzy ducklings waddling to the pond
- Bear cubs giving birthday hugs
- And definitely no BORING STORIES about adorable bunnies

So you can imagine their reaction when a bunny wants to join their writing group.

This cute picture book reminds us all that we often make incorrect assumptions about others, and it might be better if we actually
Kaethe Douglas
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
An assortment of strange but real critters workshop a story together and refuse to let a common bunny join because of blatant cute prejudice.
It would never have occurred to me to write a picture book about a writing group, but it works on multiple levels, not least the advantage of diverse voices in a group.

Library copy
Danielle
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Hilarious! (And NOT boring!)
Scott Robins
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Probably one of the best meta picture books I've read on writing and creating stories yet. Hilarious with strong narrative intent from start to finish. Highly recommended.
Erin
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Penguin for a free physical copy in exchange for my honest review.

No boring stories is a cute story that follows one bunny who just wants to have some input from some other storytellers. These other storytellers though don't want to let in him in their group and try to do everything they can to send him away. That is until finally he is able to give them an idea that helps their story and they are willing to listen to the bunny.
This is a great story that brings to mind how we all n
Jillian
Hey, look! It's any girl EVER trying to join ANY group of people....pretty much ever. This book reminds me so much of the "gatekeepers" who try so hard to keep fluff out of THEIR spaces that they end up pushing away some quality folks who have a lot to contribute.
Fortunately, the International Society for Writers of Odd and Weird figures out (eventually) that maybe not all bunnies like to write stories about puppies and birthday parties.
Beverly
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I thought the story and illustrations were delightful; very funny. I loved that three of the animals were unusual and not in every other picture book--the mole, the yeti crab and the babirusa. The fact that they think the bunny is going to like boring stories was funny.
Amanda Hilde
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Great children's story that deals with gatekeeping.
Andrew
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This bunny is tired of cuddly-sweet stories. She wants fierce action & battling grape monsters! However, the animals in No Boring Stories don't want to let a snuggly bunny in their misfit group... How will she convince them that she is in the same boat (or robot crab?) Bright, fun illustrations with characters to match, a charming book on how we shouldn't base what someone enjoys on how they look or who they are.
Baby Bookworm
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: our-reviews

Hello, friends! Our book today is No Boring Stories!, written by Julie Falatko and illustrated by Charles Santoso, a hilarious yet poignant look at the creative process.

Bunny has a head full of wonderful and strange story ideas, but her fellow “cute and cuddly” creators just don’t seem to get what she’s about. Seeing a sign for a meeting of the International Society for Writers Of Odd and Weird
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
No Boring Stories! by Julie Falatko, illustrated by Charles Santoso. PICTURE BOOK. Viking (Penguin Random). 2018. $18.00. 9780451476821

BUYING ADVISORY: EL (K-3) – ADVISABLE

AUDIENCE APPEAL: HIGH

A group of misfits meets together to write stories that aren’t boring. They are creatures never featured in stories and they think its about time something besides cuddly animals get their day. The problem is that a cuddly bunny shows up and wants to be part of their group. Can they somehow all work togeth
Beth Anderson
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This irresistible story has multiple layers, the main one being the characters’ desire for nontypical stories. No cute bears, rabbits, or ducklings wanted. No birthdays, cuddling or bedtime allowed. Oddball characters, Mole, Babirusa, Yeti Crab, and Giraffe-Necked Weevil, are determined to create an exciting story as the “International Society for Writers of Odd and Weird.” But too-cute bunny, an infiltrator, keeps interrupting. The illustrations are priceless! Through the developing story, Fala ...more
Lydia
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A group of animals who... tend not to star in stories have come up with their own story club/writers' group. However, a bunny really wants to join in, as she doesn't tend to write the kind of stories she is expected to, so she persists until the other animals realize what she is isn't important.

The truly humorous part, is that I read a stack of picture books at the same time as this one, and nearly every single one of them had elements that the "writers' group" sneers at in this story! A fun sto

Becky B
A group of animals who don't normally get picked for stories meets for their regular writing group. They make only not boring stories, and get quite worried about a bunny who wants to join their group. Won't a normal story character make their story normal and boring?

This shared great elements of story writing in addition to being a fun story itself. I can honestly say I've never read another picture book featuring a yeti crab or a giraffe-necked weevil, so kids will get introduced to some obsc
Margaret Boling
I really liked this story, for myself, but I'm not sure it's a good fit for most primary-grade readers. There's lots of text, it would be a tough read-aloud, and it feels like there are lots of insider jokes for writers in a writing group. It might work well for a targeted audience of young authors in a classroom or club writing group.

I did like the way it pushed back on whose voices are included and what type of stories can be heard. It also disrupted gender stereotypes > girls can be warrio
McKenzie Richardson
For more reviews, check out my blog: Craft-Cycle

Such an odd premise for a book that turns into a lovely and adorable story.

Sick of boring stories about bunnies being cute and cuddly, a group of strange animals band together to write their own exciting stories. When a bunny wants to join they group, they are quick to refuse.

A very cute story with a great message about judging people (or animals) before getting to know them and working together to collaborate on a project.

Very fun and adorable il
Juliana Lee
There's a writing group which does NOT want Bunny to join them because bunnies are in too many stories already and they are writing a story about themselves. But Bunny needs their help, because they have fun interesting ideas, not boring like all the bunny books. Eventually they let him listen in. They have a great beginning but not a good ending. All along, Bunny has been taking notes and has come up with a clever exciting ending which the rest of the animals all love. Reluctantly, they agree t ...more
Kelsey
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Age: K-3rd grade
Writing

An adorable bunny finds a writer's support group for weird ideas and, although initially rejected due to her cuteness and presence in boring stories, she sneaks her hilariously bizarre ideas into a collaborative story.

Be sure to install your vocal modifier for a slew of distinct characters and dialogue. Obviously suitable for a young writers group, this would also be fun for a small group to collaboratively read like a script.

Side note: Be sure to start the story on the
Josh
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
"I like books where strange stuff happens. But everyone says my stories are too weird."

NOT ONLY IS THIS BOOK FUNNY AND ADORABLE, BUT IT'S ALSO ABOUT EMBRACING THE WEIRDNESS OF YOUR OWN IMAGINATION AND FINDING OTHER PEOPLE WHO CAN APPRECIATE AND SUPPORT YOU AS YOU PURSUE THINGS YOU CARE ABOUT. FOR WRITERS AND ANYONE WHO'S EVER FELT DRAWN TO IDEAS THAT OTHERS AREN'T QUITE SURE WHAT TO DO WITH, THIS BOOK IS WONDERFULLY RELATABLE. I LOVE IT.
Rebecca Gomez
Feb 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Kind of weird, occasionally amusing, but too long. This book is partly about the wrongness of making assumptions about others (or outright excluding them) based on outward characteristics (not all members of a people group think or act the same, duh!) and partly about the importance of having like-minded people with whom to work out your ideas. Not a suitable book for story time, in my opinion, but would be a good read for older kids interested in the writing and/or collaborating process.
Sara
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This story is about a little rabbit who wants nothing more than to join a group of animals who write vivid stories full of adventure. She struggles with coming up with a complete story and hopes these other "writers" can help her. This is a great story to in introduce various story elements during writing workshop within a classroom setting.
Darinda
Four animals (mole, babirusa, weevil, crab) meet to come up with book ideas. They want wild and exciting stories. A bunny shows up at their meeting, but they don't want to hear the bunny's boring stories. Only, the bunny doesn't have boring stories. Silly story with nice artwork, but a little too much text to hold young readers interest for long.
Pam
Dec 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A group of animals gathers to write a story together. The bunny tries to join but they reject him as bunnies are in so many cute stories. They stereotype him without listening. They discover he wants to write the same types of adventure stories they do after a lot of sneaking and hiding to join them.
Use to talk about listening and seeing beyond the obvious.
The Brothers
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
A bunny is rejected from a writers group of odd-ish animals (star-nosed mole, Babirusa, yeti crab, and giraffe-necked weevil) because they are afraid that she will just want to tell cute, sweet little stories and that is not what they are about. But they soon learn that looks can be deceiving and the little bunny has weird and wonderful ideas, just like them.

Very cute illustrations.
Debbie Tanner
Loved this hilarious story about a group of animals that are a part of a writing support group. One day a cute fluffy little bunny shows up and the other animals don't think the bunny is edgy enough for them. A terrific look at the writing process and how others can help your story along.
Ashley Adkins
Mar 09, 2019 rated it liked it
The concept of this story is fun and really breaks the stereotype around bunnies and bunnies only being in boring stories. The illustrations are soft and textured. The book is long and there are several illustrations on each page.
Sarah Yoon
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such a hilarious read for both the parent and the kid. I've read it to my son a bunch of times and he will sit quietly in his room to flip through it even more. To top it off, he will randomly quote lines while driving his cars across the living room floor. Adorable win.
Marissa Burkey
Jan 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-parents
This story helps teach children to not judge a book, or in this case a bunny, by its cover. There are a large amount of words on each page, so this book would be better read by parents and not during a Storytime session.
Michael
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love the messages and themes in this story. The illustrations were cute and eye catching. It made the characters expressions much more relative and fun.

It may be a little too long for your average story time, but it's still a fantastic read.
Lynn
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I didn't like this on my first read through, but something made me go back and reread it. Then I realized how multi-faceted the story is, not only for young readers but adults who also may be aspiring authors.
Zany, bright illustrations on the front cover, but rather muted inside.

• Any Questions?
  • A Poem in Your Pocket
  • Ideas Are All Around
  • Adrian Simcox Does NOT Have a Horse
  • How This Book Was Made
  • What Do They Do with All That Poo?
  • Cloud Country
  • Billy's Booger
  • Giraffe Problems
  • Prince Ribbit
  • Water Land: Land and Water Forms Around the World
  • XO, OX: A Love Story
  • Yak and Dove
Julie Falatko is a modern day gadabout with the ability to have deep and meaningful conversations with kitchen appliances, who can parallel park with an 87% success rate, and who writes stories about misunderstood animals trying to find their place in the world. Please hold your applause until the end.

Julie grew up in New Jersey, an only child surrounded by books. She decided at age 8 that she wan