Start by marking “Black Diamond (Wilds of the Bayou, #2)” as Want to Read:
Black Diamond (Wilds of the Bayou, #2)

Black Diamond (Wilds of the Bayou #2)

For some people, the untamed beauty of the bayou is a place to hide. For Louisiana wildlife agent Jena Sinclair, it’s a place of refuge—one where she can almost forget the tragedy that scarred both her skin and her soul. But when the remains of yet another fisherman turn up, Jena realizes that Bayou Pointe-aux-Chenes is not safe for her…or anyone else.

The mysterious deaths
Published October 18th 2016 by Montlake Romance

To ask other readers questions about Black Diamond, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Diamond

Arah-Lynda
Sep 25, 2016 Arah-Lynda rated it really liked it
On Sale Now!

There is something about Bayou country that just radiates adventure and romance.   Then again it could simply just be me, but my mind conjures up these fabulous images of a slow moving, barely breathing, body of water, surrounded by low hanging trees, each competing with the other for a slice of sky, their greens a jewel toned riot against the backdrop of water and the cerulean blue of the sky;  nature’s perfect camouflage for the great blue heron resting on the decayed stump, whil
CD {Boulder Blvd}
Oct 24, 2016 CD {Boulder Blvd} rated it really liked it
I really appreciated the setting on the bayou that Ms. Sandlin used for this novel/series. This is the second book in the Wilds of the Bayou Series, but can be read as a stand-alone. There are returning characters and references to what occurred in the 1st book, but this story's plot worked well on its own and the characters were well developed. I didn't read the first book and it didn't impact my enjoyment of this book, although I'm now intrigued enough to add book #1 to my TBR.

Cole is referred
CL
Sep 01, 2016 CL rated it really liked it
Louisiana wildlife agent Jean Sinclair has returned to work after almost losing her life during the course of a case that had dire consequences leaving her scarred and trying to reclaim her self-esteem and get on with her life. The remains of a fisherman turn up and it appears he has been attacked by an alligator. Then an alligator is reported acting strangely and when it is captured and tested it seems the alligator has been drugged with a dangerous drug called “Black Diamond”. Now she and her ...more
Luli
Sep 21, 2016 Luli rated it liked it
Recommended to Luli by: Jill
Unos meses atrás, Jena Sinclair, lo que para nosotros equivaldría a ser un agente del Seprona, se vio involucrada en un tiroteo que la dejó tocada tanto física como mentalmente. La historia comienza cuando Jena está casi recuperada y ha vuelto al trabajo. Ahora se enfrentan a una droga tal letal como desconocida que está haciendo estragos su localidad.

Por otro lado tenemos a Cole, un ermitaño solitario y totalmente desconectado del resto del mundo que ha encontrado en los pantanos de Lousiana el
Kimberly
Aug 14, 2016 Kimberly rated it really liked it
Five reasons to grab Black Diamond

Each of the books in this series can be read as a standalone and feature a Louisiana Wildlife agent. In Black Diamond, the Gators are acting strangely, and a designer drug known as Black Diamond is circulating in the parish. It is highly addictive, and the side effects are terrifying. Sandlin not only delivers a page-turning thriller, but she allows us to become a part of this community. We get to know key characters and experience life in the bayou.

Wildlife age
Dísir
An unusual, gory scene in the wild bayou opens the story and had me grimacing straight out in revulsion and sympathy. And maybe that was how I had a good feeling that this was going to be a wild and exciting joyride in store.

I emerged from the last page a little dazed and needing more, glad that my initial suspicions were proven right.

Riveting and well-written, ‘Black Diamond’ was hard to put down as it introduced lead characters with their quietly broken pasts we never really find out about u
(Tori-Smexybooks) smexys_sidekick
Originally posted at Heroes and Heartbreakers-http://www.heroesandheartbreakers.com...

The second installment in the Wilds of the Bayou series focuses on Louisiana wildlife agent Jean Sinclair. We met her in book one, Wild Man. Best friends and partners with fellow agent Gentry Broussard, Jean was caught in crossfire of one of his cases and paid a huge price. Jean is now back on the job after recuperating from multiple gunshot wounds though her self esteem is still fragile due to the physical and
Linda
An utterly fabulous gripping romantic suspense read!

Jena Sinclair had taught him a couple of things about himself in the past few minutes that he didn’t want to know.
First, sometime in the past five years, a deep fatigue had wrapped itself around him – not the fatigue that could be slept off with a soft bed and a warm blanket, but the fatigue caused by a tightened harness that restricted. That promised no end to long days and longer nights. A harness of his own making.
Cole had realized anothe
Melliane
Sep 18, 2016 Melliane rated it really liked it
Mon avis en Français

My English review

I really liked the first volume, I must say that the setting attracted me immediately. How not to be intrigued by a novel in the bayou? For an opportunity to learn more about a part of Louisiana? I admit that I am always curious in these cases.

So we are following here two new characters Jena, an agent as Broussard is, and Cole, a recluse who is trying to escape his past while living like a hermit. But now, history will gather them together when a body is foun
Cindy ~ SnS Reviews
Sep 30, 2016 Cindy ~ SnS Reviews rated it really liked it
Back in the Louisiana bayous where you gotta watch out for dem gators. What a thrilling opening the book starts with.

Terrebonne Parish, Louisiana Wildlife Agent Jena Sinclair is just getting back on the job after being shot and a suicide attempt. She's dealing with scars both on the outside and inside but is determined to try and put that all behind her. Her and her temporary partner stumble across a dead body who was the victim of an alligator attack but what they didnt know was they had come
Katie
Sep 11, 2016 Katie rated it it was amazing
This is a fabulous romantic suspense that focuses on building up to an explosive story rather than being action-packed.

Jena is a Louisiana wildlife agent who has just returned to her job after a shooting that has left her physically scarred and a suicide attempt that has left her boss wondering if she can handle the pressure and a family that is coddling her in their most unusual way. Cole is a hermit with a somewhat unknown past, who is thrown in Jena's past as part of her investigation into ro
Shay Williams
Dec 11, 2016 Shay Williams rated it it was amazing
There are just some books that are so good, where you get so involved with the characters, that you just are unable to set them aside. BLACK DIAMOND was one of those books. My plan was to read a little over breakfast and then go get the rest of my errands done for the day. Well let's just say that my errands did get done but a few hours late.

While I did enjoy and appreciate the beauty of the bayou, what really grabbed and held me were the characters. Jenna is such a flawed individual who is unsu
Carien
Nov 13, 2016 Carien rated it it was amazing
I've loved everything I've read by Susannah Sandlin/Suzanne Johnson so far, so you bet I pre-ordered this book.

And it's yet another great read.

The way Sandlin describes the bayou makes that I could easily picture it and imagine I was there. I loved the mood and atmosphere in this book, just as I loved it in the previous one.

I liked Jena in the first book, so I was rooting for her from the start. Events from the first book had a serious impact on Jena, and the drugs flooding the parish aren't her
Michelegg
Oct 17, 2016 Michelegg rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books this year. Written by one of my favorite authors, this book was completely unputdownable. I loved everything about it, the location of course, I am a big fan of Louisiana bayous and gator hunting and the atmosphere was creepy and awesomely delicious. The characters were beautifully written, so broken and yet strong and fierce. I loved Jena, she was perfect and Cole was just delicious.

The storyline was right out of the headlines and caught my interest and kept me reading
Portia
Dec 08, 2016 Portia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The female MC is introduced in Book 1 of this series. I was hoping the next story in the series would be her's. She was strong and beautiful then, and even more so in Black Diamond.

Cole's backstory near to break my heart, but I loved watching him come back to the land of the living for and with Jena.

The suspense element of this story was very nicely paced, and kept me guessing. (I figured out the bad guy, but it took a minute.)

As always, the narration was excellent.

Highly recommend.
Marilyn Rondeau
Jena Sinclair isn’t exactly hiding in named beauty of the bayou, but as a wildlife agent it has become a place of refuge where she tries to forget the tragedy that scarred her body and soul. However, when a mutilated body of a fisherman shows up , Jena realizes that Bayou Pointe-aux-Chenes is not safe and the something is definitely stirring up the alligator population to act in weird and dangerous ways. The deaths are bad enough but there has been a terrible influx of a new and highly dangerous ...more
Lisa Richards
Dec 04, 2016 Lisa Richards rated it it was amazing
I just love me a great romantic suspense story. I cut my teeth on Nancy Drew mysteries so tend to pick up a good mystery more often than not. Mix in some romance and you got me for sure.
You know how when you're driving in icy weather and you tend to clutch the steering wheel till your fingers get numb and your whole body is tensed? Well, that's how I was through much of this book. Wow, and I just realized that it only 266 pages! Believe me, there is a whole lot on story here. I love a book that
Cricket
Nov 09, 2016 Cricket rated it it was amazing
I have always loved stories about the Bayou in Louisiana. This novel is a rock star roller coaster ride through the swamps, never once slowing down. I was hooked from the very first page. Jena and Cole are two very intriguing characters. They each come from a tragic history, and their interactions are sweet, caring, and in some cases, a bit dangerous. I loved them. I will be eagerly seeking to read the rest of this series! I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Readers Copy of this novel.
Neena Christianson Martin
Murder by alligator

The Bayou is being overrun by a new synthetic drug, Black Diamond. Now it's up to the Louisiana wildlife service to find out where it's coming from. Add in a hot hermit, and stoned gators, and you have a really good rollercoaster ride through this mystery. This is a very good and enjoyable read.
Mary Carlisle
Mar 13, 2017 Mary Carlisle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exceptional read.

I enjoyed this book. The story continually draws the reader in, page after page, with the mystery of the Louisiana bayou. Action pack with an intriguing storyline.
Marlene
Oct 24, 2016 Marlene rated it it was amazing
Originally published at Reading Reality

Drug mules are always bad news, but in Terrebonne Parish some of the drug mules have four legs, a tail, and seventy-two big, sharp teeth. In other words, there’s a crazy fool using live alligators to smuggle drugs.

While karma is bound to catch up with these idiots eventually, the agents of the Louisiana Department of Fish and Wildlife can’t wait that long. The new drug being smuggled, Black Diamond, is a nearly instant addicting drug of the bath-salts type.
Gloria
Jan 04, 2017 Gloria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, rated
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway and am appreciative to the author and Goodreads.

Black Diamond starts off with a bang when a fisherman is attacked by a crazed alligator and it is action packed to the end. Ms. Sandlin does a great job with the scene decriptions. I could feel the humidity of the bayou with the brackish lazy water and marshland, low hanging moss on the trees, alligators and snakes. Even though I had not read the first book in the series, I felt that I didn't have any problem
Karen Stromberg
Feb 27, 2017 Karen Stromberg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this trough Goodreads. It's really my kind of book - suspense, romance, the bayou, etc. It kept with me and I didn't want to put it down! I will definitely be reading more in this series.
JG
Black Diamond is one of those books you think that when you pick it up you kind of know what to expect but eventually surprises you in the end. The second book in the Wilds of the Bayou series, its brings together characters whose motivations and personalities are revealed bit by bit, incorporated well in the plot but not totally overwhelming it. The book starts of with our heroine Jena Sinclair a Louisiana wildlife agent, who has physically recovered from a tragic incident (see Book 1) but is s ...more
Book Lover
Oct 14, 2016 Book Lover rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jena Sinclair is still recovering from her injuries from a previous case, but has returned to her job as a Wildlife and Fisheries enforcement agent. Her self-esteem has taken a big hit and she’s trying to decide if she can still do her job.

Coleman Ryan is a social recluse living way out in the bayou. He has hair down to his waist, electric blue eyes, and lots of muscle! He rejected society 5 years ago when a young man high on drugs killed his mom, wife and daughter. He finds a freshly dead gato
Barbara
Nov 12, 2016 Barbara rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this second book in the Wilds of the Bayou series just as much as the first book. This time we follow Jena Sinclair, who has just returned to work as a wildlife agent after being shot during the events of the last book. Terrebonne Parish is being inundated with a deadly drug called Black Diamond, and on top of that, alligators are attacking humans and acting strangely in the area. Jena and her current partner Mac encounter Cole Ryan, a reclusive inhabitant of a remote area of the bayou ...more
Niken Widyastuti
Oct 08, 2016 Niken Widyastuti rated it really liked it
I received an e-ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. I was not compensated nor required to write a positive review. This review is solely my opinion.

Even though I’m an RS genre huge fans, I don’t usually rivet to this kind of story. I’m more military or cozy-mystery type. From the blurb, it sounded dark, gory, and ominous. However, I felt intrigued by the blurb and I eager to take a bite. I’m glad I did.

The story took place in Louisiana Bayou and the two main characters are Jena
Jeanne Jem
Sep 20, 2016 Jeanne Jem rated it really liked it
Shelves: jeep-diva
Jena is strong, smart and competent but like any human beings she’s not exempt from being affected by the bullets that left emotional and physical damage. She’s so well liked and respected by her coworkers that it’s obvious she’s a very good person and extremely competent at her job. Though she was raised by distant, harsh parents, she still loves her drug addict brother and gives him a place to stay as he tries to put his life back together.

Cole is much harder to read. It’s well into the book b
Suprina Bracey
Feb 16, 2017 Suprina Bracey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Pseudonym of Suzanne Johnson

Suzanne Johnson writing as Susannah Sandlin is the author of romantic suspense and paranormal romance, often set in the Deep South, where there are always things that go bump in the night! She is the author of the Penton Legacy series (REDEMPTION, ABSOLUTION, OMEGA, ALLEGIANCE and STORM FORCE (spinoff), The Collectors series (LOVELY, DARK, AND DEEP and DEADLY, CALM, AN
More about Susannah Sandlin...

Wilds of the Bayou (2 books)
  • Wild Man's Curse

“Since Paul wasn’t a big conversationalist—he was the anti-Mac, in other words, and today had been the longest she’d ever heard him speak in consecutive sentences—Jena watched the scenery for a while. Then she decided to study the inside of Paul’s truck to see what she could learn about him.
Technically, it was exactly like hers and Gentry’s. It had a black exterior with a blue light bar across the top and the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries Enforcement Division logo on the doors.
It was tech heavy on the front dash, just like theirs, with LDWF, Terrebonne Parish Sheriff’s Office, and Louisiana State Police Troop C radios, a laptop, a GPS unit, and a weather unit.
In her truck and in Gentry’s, the cords and wires were a colorful tangle of plastic and metal, usually with extra plugs dangling around like vines. Paul’s cords were all black, and he had them woven in pairs and tucked underneath the dash, where they neatly disappeared.
She leaned over to see how he’d achieved such a thing, and noticed identical zip ties holding them in place.
“Sinclair, I hate to ask, but what are you doing?”
He sounded more bemused than annoyed, so she said, “I’m psychoanalyzing you based on the interior of your truck.”
He almost ran off the road. “Why?”
“Your scintillating conversation was putting me to sleep.”
His dark brows knit together but he seemed to have no answer to that.
She turned around in her seat, as much as the seat belt allowed, and continued her study. Paul had a 12-gauge shotgun and a .223 carbine mounted right behind the driver’s seat, same as in her own truck. The mounts had hidden release buttons so the agents could get the guns out one-handed and quickly.
But where her truck had a catch-all supply of stuff, from paper towels to zip ties to evidence bags to fast-food wrappers thrown in the back, Paul’s backseat was empty but for a zippered storage container normal people used for shoes. Each space held different things, all neatly arranged. Jena spotted evidence bags in one. Zip ties in another. Notebooks. Citation books. Paperwork. A spare uniform hung over one window, with a dry-cleaner’s tag dangling from the shirt’s top button.
Good Lord. She turned back around.
“What did you learn?” Paul finally asked.
“You’re an obsessive-compulsive neat freak,” she said. “Accent on freak.”
0 likes
“Jackson shrugged off Gentry’s hand. “You want to worry about drugs in your parish, Agent Broussard, why don’t you check my sister’s bag? Or is it okay for your agents to be racing around with guns while they’re buzzing on painkillers? Is it okay for her to work four months after she tried to slit her wrists with a f**king utility knife?”
A chill washed across Jena’s shoulders. Who was this person? The brother she’d known her whole life would never try to throw her under the squad car.
“We aren’t talking about your sister, who, by the way, is a skilled law-enforcement agent who took two bullets in the line of duty a few months ago, son.” Gentry’s voice was low, but serious. “We’re talking about you, an unemployed twenty four year old who had almost an ounce of an illegal synthetic drug stashed in his bedroom, not to mention what’s probably still in your system. All we’d need is one simple blood test.”
Gentry paused. “We’re talking about jail time, Jackson. Do you understand what kind of trouble you could be in?”
Time seemed to stretch into slow motion. Jackson turned like an enraged devil, tightened his fingers around Gentry’s throat, and squeezed. He moved so fast that Gentry wasn’t able to get his hands up to protect himself and was left trying to breathe and pry Jacks’s hands off at the same time. Jackson wasn’t nearly as strong as Gentry, so it had to be the drugs. Jena had heard stories of users having almost superhuman strength.
She ran toward them, but Adam got there first. He kicked Jacks’s legs out from beneath him and, by the time her brother hit the floor, Meizel was kneeling on his back, one hand pressing his head against the tile. The handcuffs clicked shut with a loud scrape of metal, and Meizel jerked Jacks to his feet. It was over in a matter of seconds.
All four of them stood still for a moment. Until Jacks, his chin bleeding from hitting the floor, began spewing more accusations at Jena, laced with a liberal dose of f-bombs. Then life sped up again. Meizel held one of Jacks’s arms while Gentry held the other. The deputy had started his Miranda by the time they’d gotten Jacks out the front door, shoving him toward the patrol car none too gently.”
0 likes