Start by marking “Heart to Heart” as Want to Read:
Heart to Heart

Heart to Heart

From beloved Caldecott Honor artist Lois Ehlert comes a clever and funny valentine celebrating love and friendship.

Readers of all ages will go bananas for this pun-filled and sweet story filled with rebuses and love. Alphabet letters and bold, graphic images of fruits and vegetables come together in this endearing and playful book that is perfect for sharing.
Published January 3rd 2017 by Beach Lane Books (first published 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Heart to Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heart to Heart

Samantha
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
Text is full of puns and reads like spread after spread of picture puzzles as readers must decode letters, numbers, and images to move the story forward. Some of the playful wording is cute, most pages require a pause to figure out.

Overall, though this has kid appeal due to the bright colors of the digital artwork, reading this independently will be very difficult for children without an adult's help.
Jillian
Mar 01, 2017 rated it did not like it
I could barely even finish it - it's typical Ehlert style, but it's written in.... basically text speak with food-related puns tossed in everywhere. The colors are highly contrasting, so as you stare at the page trying to figure out what the sentence means, your eyes start to cross.
Definitely a miss from me.
Kim
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
Not her best. Not "EZ" to follow.
MaryLibrarianOH
I'm a fan of Lois Ehlert's artwork and this book is no exception. I love all the play on words, my only complaint is the small size of the book. Chances of getting lost in the shuffle at a library is higher unfortunately. Pull this one out for sharing with elementary school kids around Valentine's Day.
Brenda Kahn
This cute little book would make a nice Valentine's Day gift for a little one. Not my favorite Ehlert, but it's heart is in the right place. Bright colors, some of the puns are funny, others not so much and one or two are not so easily figured out.
Elizabeth  Chang
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Imagine my shock when I found that the author of the first book I learned to read....wrote another book!?

Naturally, I loved this book before I even flipped the first page. The clever picture sentences were fun!
Elvira
May 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Great color and shapes and sayings. My son loved figuring out the meanings with the fruits and vegetables sound a likes. Though not great when learning to read and using short cuts for words. But my four year old loved this book, so it was read a lot.
Lynn
Prolific Lois Ehlert keeps up with modern form of communication - she uses 'texting' text style in this small, easy-to-hold book. She throws in puns and images to stretch the mind -
Bright, solid colors with sharp lines on objects in here traditional style.
This could be a primer for texting...
Amanda
Could not make myself finish this; I found myself struggling to figure out some of the puns, then I grew frustrated and then I gave up. Too busy right now to deal with this. Disappointed because I generally love Ehlert's books.
Reverie
Aug 01, 2018 rated it did not like it
Many of the puns were lame. Some rebuses don't fit the intended sound well, and sometimes pictures were labeled with the word because they were too difficult to guess.
Karla Winick-Ford
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cute for a spouse/ partner but hard for preschool to understand puns
Cathy
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
Library recommended picture book. Good for young kids who are starting to read using pictures.
wildct2003
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun quick read.
Mary Lee
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Word play...with visuals and vegetables!
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Clever wording with fruit and vegetable puns. It's a story with two voices "speaking" back and forth.
Marcie
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Like this to use with Wumbers and possible when you talk about bon temps or autographing yearbooks.
Mary
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
The illustrations in this book contribute to several plays on words in the text which can be fun to read out loud. The colors, however, can be hard because there isn't much of a contrast between the background and illustrations in some cases.
Crystal
Mar 11, 2017 added it
Shelves: picture-book
I like the small size of this one. It's filled with puns and is cute, but doesn't have a lot of substance.
Kimberly
Mar 08, 2017 rated it did not like it
Spectacularly stupid.
Dreaday
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Silly puns! It's not really a story, but it's cute. Wish I could give it a 2.5: somewhere between ok and liked it.
Leslie
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Darling...a gem of a book!
Paulette
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sweet little book by Lois Ehlert - using fruits and vegetables to convey a message of love. Young readers will have fun with the wordplay and the artwork is distinctive!
Catherine
Cute book. I love how she uses different foods for words.
Lisa D
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!
Margie
Who doesn't love a little mystery or a puzzle to solve? Secret code books have consistently been popular titles in the nonfiction section of school libraries. Students are amazing in their ability to discover answers because they think outside the box without the constraints adults seem to acquire. Not only do they like to decipher problems, especially if they can be seen as a game or quest, but they like to create them for someone else to figure out.

Queen of colorful collage illustrations, Cald
Tasha
Feb 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Ehlert makes a picture book entirely from rebuses and puns that is completely endearing. Filled with the same bright graphics as the cover, this picture book is a small square size perfect for a gift or for little hands. Various fruits and vegetables make appearances in the puns, adding a yummy twist.

The simple premise of the book gets challenging unless you read the riddles out loud. Suddenly turnips and beans make sense in the sentences and everyone is sure to smile when the sentence is decode
Marisa
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cute & Clever!!
Kelly Snyder
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Written in letters, numbers, shapes and puns this little book by Lois Ehlert is a fun and fantastic love letter written to who every reads it. The pages are simple and spare, but can give a child just learning to recognizes numbers and letters and opportunity to have success in reading. I would give this book to any preschool child who needs a little boost in their reading skills and watch them get excited as they start to decipher what is on the pages.
Amy
Feb 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Cute and proably fun for a reader to figure out what the pictures and words are saying together
Desiree
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I absolutely love this clever play on the "check yes or no " part of love. Lois uses vibrant colors and wonderful imagery to convey a heart warming question about love. It's a super cute quick read that would be perfect for the school aged set.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Lois Ehlert has created numerous inventive, celebrated, and bestselling picture books, including Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, Holey Moley, The Scraps Book, Mice, Ten Little Caterpillars, RRRalph, Lots of Spots, Boo to You!, Leaf Man, Waiting for Wings, Planting a Rainbow, Growing Vegetable Soup, and Color Zoo, which received a Caldecott Honor. She lives in Milwaukee, Wisconsin