Start by marking “Ice-Out” as Want to Read:

Ice-Out

Walking on thin ice: on Rainy Lake, in the northern reaches of Minnesota, its more than a saying. And for Owen Jensen, nineteen and suddenly responsible for keeping his mother and five brothers alive, the ice is thin indeed.

Ice-Out returns to the frigid and often brutal Prohibition-era borderland of Mary Casanovas beloved novel Frozen, and to the characters who made it a
Published September 1st 2016 by Univ Of Minnesota Press

University of Minnesota Press

Univ Of Minnesota Press
Children's Fiction

Pub Date 01 Sep 2016

I was given a copy of Ice-Out through the publisher and their parnership with Netgalley in exchange for my honest review which is as follows:

February 1922 in the Northern reaches of Minnesota, Owen Jensen carries a check in his pocket, not believing the loan had come through. Owen is going to open a car dealership, after all automobiles are the future.

Owen is determined to give him
Carly K
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ice-Out returns to the world of Sadie Rose in Prohibition-era Minnesota, but focuses instead on Owen Jensen, son of the local creamery owners. In Frozen, Owen befriended and fell in love with Sadie, who is now off at college. Now, in Ice-Out, Owen takes a loan from Harvey Pengler, a local restaurateur and bootlegger, to start up a car dealership despite the warnings from his father. After Owen's friend Jerry nearly drowns when the truck he is driving on a run for Pengler goes through the ice, ...more
Linda Donohue
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways-read
Two years ago I was vacationing in northern Minnesota and purchased Mary Casanova's book "Frozen", it was on the shelf with my other "to reads". I won the Goodreads giveaway of her sequel "Ice-Out". So I read "Frozen" before reading "Ice-Out" I thoroughly enjoyed both books, and rated "Ice-Out" one star higher than "Frozen". The book was well written, kept my interest throughout and proved that good overcomes evil. "Ice-Out" is recommended for young adult; I feel the story can be of interest to ...more
Deb Farrell
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked it a lot but Frozen was a little better. This book started with the story of Owen, a boy
from Frozen and it was a really nice build out of his character and the struggles he experienced. The time that Owen and Sadie were getting to know themselves and each other was a very challenging period of time in America. The story is also about friendship and growing apart. The tough times presented by the depression and prohibition, along with personal values are a theme. Good story, but felt a
Tricia F.
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you like historical fiction set our home state of Minnesota, this is the perfect book to read. The novel is set in Prohibition Ranier, MN. and follows young Owen Jensen as he must must decide what path he will follow to find his true calling.
Krista Eberhardt
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fun and easy read. Great story, especially for those with a spatial knowledge of the area.
Judy
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Nice follow-up to Frozen. Mary should write a third in the series!!
Rosie
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Pretty good!
Brenda
Mar 04, 2019 rated it liked it
It's unfortunate that the writing isn't better. The story is so good and I really enjoyed it, but it could've been done better, in my opinion.
Carson Macynski
Feb 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Exciting story with tragic deaths and persistence.
Arlene
Oct 31, 2016 rated it liked it
"A young man...gets caught up in bootlegging, blackmail, corruption, and murder along the US Canadian border in the 1920's". To me, these words were a well-suited invitation to delve into a wild and raucous north woods bootlegging story, or so I thought. What I failed to see was the note which stated this is a "young adult piece of literature", which means the wild and raucous was tempered.

To help understand and accept the authenticity of the events of the story, the author provided a list of
Aimée Bissonette
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Mary Casanova is a master of historical fiction. The rich details of this prohibition era story and life in the farthest reaches of northern Minnesota combine with a well told story with a protagonist you can't help but hold your breath for and cheer on.
Kim Ott
Craig C Purcell
Mar 19, 2018
Maria
Apr 26, 2019 added it
Great story! Mary really puts the reader in the 1920's and makes you feel like the prohibition is happening. For me, I personally liked the Minnesota references since I am from Saint Peter. Her writing style is so realistic, well-paced, and a lively plot line. A great read.
Mandie
Oct 24, 2017
Erin
May 24, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »

• The End of the Wild
  • Impossible Odds: The Kidnapping of Jessica Buchanan and Her Dramatic Rescue by SEAL Team Six
  • Summer of My German Soldier (Summer of My German Soldier, #1)
  • The Grand Slam: Bobby Jones, America, and the Story of Golf
  • Football Champ (Football Genius, #3)
  • Milkweed
  • Rediscover the Saints: Twenty-Five Questions That Will Change Your Life
  • Absolute Power
  • Tangled Threads: A Hmong Girl's Story
  • White Bird
  • Because of Winn-Dixie
  • The Miseducation of Henry Cane
  • Reaching for the Moon: The Autobiography of NASA Mathematician Katherine Johnson
  • Dragonsinger (Harper Hall, #2)
  • Marriage on Madison Avenue (Central Park Pact, #3)
  • Winter Sisters (Mary Sutter, #2)
  • Dragonsong (Harper Hall, #1)
  • Christmas Caramel Murder (Hannah Swensen, #20)
Mary Casanova is an award-winning children's author of novels and picture books. Many of her books stem from her life on the Minnesota-Canadian border; yet some of her stories have taken her as far away as France, Norway, and Belize for research. Whatever the setting for her books, Casanova writes stories that matter--and stories that kids can't put down.

Her book awards include: American Library