Start by marking “The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories

The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories

(Children's Circle Stories #2)

Do you believe in magic? Can you imagine a war between wizards? An exciting journey in an airship or down in a submarine? Would you like to meet the fastest truncheon in the Wild West?

The Witch’s Vacuum Cleaner is the second fabulously funny short-story collection from the late acclaimed storyteller Terry Pratchett. A follow-up to Dragons at Crumbling Castle, this second b
Published January 3rd 2017 by Katherine Tegen Books (first published August 25th 2016)

Joey Woolfardis
PTerry has never been that great at short stories. He admits that himself. But what he has always had is one of the best imaginations of any author, Storyteller or liar to ever have existed. He also had the best ideas of what to satirise, which mainly included the stuff he loved which, top comedy tip, it's the stuff you should always satirise. Fuller review to follow (maybe).

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Pinterest | Shop | Etsy
Melissa
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
A collection of early short stories by Terry Pratchett that he wrote when he was a junior reporter & were published weekly in his local newspaper. All are wonderfully narrated in this collection, and although not as layered as his later Discworld series, they are a lot of fun for readers of all ages. Highly recommend if you enjoy things like Fortunately, the Milk by Neil Gaiman & if you haven't read that check them both out and enjoy.
Nicola Mansfield
Feb 02, 2017 rated it liked it
A collection of early works by Sir Terry. These were all written from the mid-sixties to the early seventies and published in Pratchett's local newspaper where he worked as a junior reporter. The stories are written for children and are all fun. Most of them were good with a couple of duds and a couple of excellent ones, averaging out to a solid rating of 3/5.

1. The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner - Cute story about a magician who gets cursed by a witch. Everything he touches changes into something else,
Peter
Aug 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: terry-pratchett
More of Terry's fantastic childrens stories. Yes they are not up to his Discworld standards but they are fun and dare I say Jolly. Good fun for the young and old and if you feel the need for a negative review based on the age they are for, you are to OLD.

Take them for what they are and have fun!
Kayla Eklund
My husband is a big fan of Terry Pratchett. He discovered his books earlier this year, and is currently trying to make his way through reading all of his books. Recently, I discovered that I actually own a couple of his short story collections. My husband started reading Terry Pratchett with The Color of Magic. I decided to start with The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories. I found it to just be okay.

I listened to The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories on audiobook. I don't know if
Amina
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We meet the rug people again!!!
As charming as Dragons at Crumbling Castle , a lot fun, satire and a huge amount of imagination!
Paul
An interesting look at early short stories from Terry Pratchett.
Good to see where the ideas for some of his later works started to develop.
Overall though the collection lacks the humour, wit and story telling of Pratchetts later stuff.
One to read for Pratchett fans who want a glimpse of him developing his writing early on but not for non Pratchett readers .
Sophia
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Το ότι είναι ιστορίες του Terry Pratchett για μένα φτάνει και περισσεύει! Απολαυστικές, γεμάτες φαντασία και διδάγματα. Κείμενα που όχι μόνο απολαμβάνουν τα παιδιά αλλά και ενήλικες που αγαπούν τις απροσδόκητες εξελίξεις και το μεγαλείο της απλότητας!

Όλα περικλείονται στο #LoveTerry <3

Για την κατηγορία B.R.A.CE. 2017 ένα βιβλίο με μη-ανθρώπινους χαρακτήρες

description
James Swenson
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
I hope all of my fellow Pratchett lovers will excuse my saying so, but this is a collection of pointless stories which, if they had been any good, would have appeared much earlier. In the best story, the statues find a way to celebrate the old woman who fed the ducks for years in Blackbury Park. The last story, "Rincemangle, the Gnome of Even Moor," gives an early version of the gnomes' departure from the department store in The Bromeliad Trilogy.
Phoenix
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adorable and reminded me vaguely of the Phantom Tollbooth. Really enjoyed getting to listen to the inspiration for the Bromeliad Trilogy.
DebsD
Listened to audio in the car with my 9yo and 11yo. They are now both hooked on Pratchett, so I'm counting that as a success. Suggestions for what to throw at them next are welcome!

Bogdan
May 19, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Clearly, even if these are some of his earlier stories, Pratchett isn`t a writer that appeals to my tastes. ...more
Elyse
What a quirky, silly set of stories to introduce me to Mr. Terry Pratchett! I can't remember any of them anymore but they were funny in the moment. Someday I'll have the wherewithal to tackle the Discworld series!
Shiloah
Such a cute book. I read a few of the stories aloud and the kids loved them.
Sandra Guerfi
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-readers
If you have ever read any Terry Pratchett and wondered where it all started, this second volume of short stories he wrote as a teenager will give you a glimpse into the ground floor of what would become one of the most celebrated writers of our times. The wit and humor that came to pervade his better known stories can be seen being crafted here, and though not as devastatingly cunning as his later works, there is no mistaking the raw talent that is underlying these stories. This would be a great ...more
Chris Callaghan
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful and fun-filled insight into the mind of a great author.
Darlene
If you are looking for a light, funny read, this is your book. It was like watching cartoons or Monty Python. Very bad for a bedtime book for me. I found it hard to stop reading, well, actually, listening to this one. 3:00 came too quickly. So, sorry if this sounds more disjointed than my usual reviews.

Oh, I listened to the Audible using the whispersynch. Julian Rhind-Tutt (Narrator) is facinating! His voice changes with every character. He tells the story with so much gusto that sometimes I th
Ана Хелс
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
След Дракони в порутения замък идва още една порция ранен Пратчет, леко ревизиран и съвсем откровено иронизиран от залязващия дядо Тери, вероятно само дни преди отпътуването му от нашия така безцветен свят. Историите са кратки и богато илюстрирани, и с тая шарена корица ще повдигнете не една и две вежди в откровено пренебрежение в метрото, но, хей, това е Пратчет, и който не го разбира, само може да отчете поредната дълбока куха загуба в живота си, за която няма да отделим и милиграм сополче в н ...more
Jannah (Cloud Child)
3.5/5
This might be because I'm listening to the audiobook but I couldn't quite get excited about it. Its very very much for its audience. There are some books which transcend the ideal age but this one is not it. Ive noticed this for his other book aimed at younger children, though his Discworld ones are excellent.

It's comical enough, filled with interesting and ridiculous magic and mishap, so I think the recommended age group of 7-9 years will enjoy.
Jackie B. - Death by Tsundoku
One of the first SYNC Audiobooks I've read this year, I quite loved my exploration of Sir Pratchett's works! Now I know I'll want to explore Discworld a bit more, even if these stories aren't all related. Certainly, some stories were stronger than others, but this is the way of collections.

Full review to follow.
Trevor
Jul 13, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner is a collection of short stories that Terry Pratchett wrote when he was a teenager. The problem is that Terry Pratchett was bad at writing when he was a teenager. Every once in a while there are glimpses of ideas that Pratchett would later use much more effectively but otherwise these stories don't have anything going for them.
Len Evans Jr
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
While these stories are no quite on par with the authors Discworld books it was nevertheless a very enjoyable read. There were numerous instances where I had a good laugh and once at least that I shed a few tears. Overall a very good time was delivered and more than worth the price of admission to what was happening in Mr. Pratchett's head way back when he was just a young man!
Rita
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-scific
As a Terry Pratchett fan, this collection of early short stories was disappointing. His Discworld novels are filled with imagination and surprise, as well as humor. These early stories displayed a view of his beginnings, which would lead to his later work. I don't recommend this book of short stories.
Peter
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: terry-pratchett
A second reading of what is the special edition with afterwords for each story and an extra short thrown in for good measure.
Slipcased with a print thrown in.
Ann-Marie
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute stories written by a teenaged Terry Pratchett show definite signs of the genius writer he was. His talent for puns and wordplay, silly character development and unusual lots are all On display.
MissSusie
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you Audiobook Sync. This was a fun book of short stories with a great narrator!
Caitlyn Hall
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book will give you the chuckles and is fun to read .this book is one of the books that make people want to read
Karl
Apr 30, 2018 rated it liked it
First time reading a Pratchett book with the Author's Note in the past tense. :-(
Jemma
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Highly entertaining and appropriate for all ages.

The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner itself wasn't actually so interesting, but there were quite a few that were
My favourites are the ones about L.....................gagogo (Whatever it's name is)
Goodreads Librari...: separate editions 2 189 Jan 09, 2017 05:24PM

Children's Circle Stories (2 books)
  • Dragons at Crumbling Castle: And Other Stories
“Fifteen men on a dead man’s chest— Yo ho ho and a packet of crisps.” “Any” 1 likes