Start by marking “In Their Mother's Footsteps” as Want to Read:
In Their Mother's Footsteps

In Their Mother's Footsteps

(The Generation War Saga #2)

In Their Mother's Footsteps is a moving saga set at the eve of the Second World War, by the author of the Breckton series, Mary Wood.

Two girls. One horrendous war. The chance to unite a family . . .

Edith and Ada run Jimmy's Hope House where they care for unmarried mothers, and where Edith, a doctor, offers free medical help to the poor of London's East End.

Both are struggl
Published December 1st 2016 by Pan

To ask other readers questions about In Their Mother's Footsteps, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Their Mother's Footsteps

Suze Lavender
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Edith and Ada are still good friends. It's 1939 and Jimmy's Hope House is a success. They've helped many unmarried mothers and have provided plenty of medical care for those who are too poor to pay for it. Ada has learned to live with the loss of her sons. She's happy with the kindhearted Joe, but fears her unhinged sister who's in an institution. Ada has raised her nephew and has done this with love. She's also always supported her friend, who's still missing her girls. Edith's daughters were t ...more
c m bolton
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant

This book is filled with emotion and empathy. It takes you to the deaths of despair and back again. It show how men and women did remarkable thinks to keep us all safe. A must read.
Heather Copping
Jan 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ww2
I really enjoyed this book, it was not a "fluffy" read but a real get your teeth into read, as I read it I was intrigued, shocked, sad and happy. Well worth a read. 5*
Michelle Haun
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pro's: Page-turner WW2 historical fiction. Respectable, strong female main characters. Multi-cultural families. Linguists. Spies. Heartbreak. Romance. Action. Fighting against Nazis. Controversial topics.

Con's: Weird sex scenes. A bunch of married couples crying during sex. (I understand that maybe the author was trying to convey that it was an emotional release of repressed emotions and even joyful moments were tinged w/ sadness back then, but...it still weirded me out.) Graphic descriptions o
Judith Spencer
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The follow up to " All I have to give".
What a talented author Mary Wood is, the story had me gripped from the first page, and had many twists and turns, and was heartbreaking in places, I can't imagine the heartache families went through during the war.
This is my favourite book by Mary so far, maybe because I love World War 2 saga novels, and especially centred around the holocaust. Wonderful descriptive writing, I could imagine being there.
The characters are great , I especially liked Elka and
Christine
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a lovely story, yes there was a lot of people who helped others in the war, and got no recognition for it, thank you to them all for given us our freedom.
Ruby Boyer
Jan 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
The most confusing, yet incredibly the saddest book I have read for a while. This book focuses on twins and the events that happened between the Germans and Polish during world war two. Mary Wood goes into quite some detail and leaves no detail out when describing just how harshly people were tortured for no reason apart from where they were born. I found it very hard to follow in the beginning because of the amount of characters chucked out straight away, but as the story went on and tragedy st ...more
Ellie
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent follow up to All I Have To Give, still starring a lot of the man characters from the first book, but also the next generation..... and in particular, Edith's long lost twins.
Time has marched on, it's now world war 2. Twins Elka and Ania are in Poland, being raised as jews, when their 'grandmother' tells them the truth about their birth. Elka immediately wants to travel to England to meet her real mother, Ania refuses to leave Poland. Each in their own way helps the allies war effort.
Angelina
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book expecting it to be a sweet war time romance, but it was so much more and I couldn't put it down. Mary Wood doesn't hide away from the realities of War, and the story gives you some unexpected surprises that aren't always easy to read. For me, Ania was the one who stood out as she showed incredible strength, and out of everyone, I think she had one of the hardest, and most difficult, journeys. I didn't realise In Their Mother's Footsteps was a follow on from All I have To Gi ...more
Karolien
I love to read war stories and somehow they are more appealing to me if they are set in the East End.
Of course this story is set in multiple places : London, Poland, Auschwitz...

It is in the first place a story about a divided family that attempts to come together again but at war this isn't very easy.
It was fluently written but sometimes a bit predictable although I would have never expected the ending to be like it is.

Lynda Meyers
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this was a very interesting read.I found some parts hard to read due to the graphic content which showed the brutality of war.it was a fast moving story with lots of characters.at times I had to stop and think to remind myself who was who.wld recommend this book.
Kayleigh Osborne
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
A strong storyline, however the language was quite stilted which made it hard to get into.
Trudie
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a harrowing and heartbreaking but insightful story.
susan murray
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really good book about life around and in the war. The twins fine their true family but will they be reunited as war begins and so many lives are changed forever.
Excellent read and with history of what life was like for people fighting behind the lines in the secret service .
Mr RE Steadman
Nov 23, 2017
Stacey Kelly
Dec 26, 2016
Carol Brown
Jan 15, 2017
Deborah
rated it did not like it
Nov 07, 2018
Feb 06, 2017
Donna Wellard
Jan 31, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »

The Generation War Saga (2 books)
  • All I Have to Give (The Generation War Saga #1)