Start by marking “Wham! (Timewalker #1)” as Want to Read:
Wham! (Timewalker #1)

Wham!

(Timewalker #1)

When the World Alliance seized power from all the governments of the world, they said it was for the greater good. They said it was necessary to unite all the nations of the globe under one banner in order to bring universal peace, equality and prosperity to the world.

To most families throughout the world, the rise of the Alliance and their grandiose promises meant littl
Published May 14th 2016 by Carol Marrs Phipps & Tom Phipps

To ask other readers questions about Wham!, please sign up.
Angie Dokos Yes. I just finished it and need the second book NOW!

Start your review of Wham! (Timewalker #1)
Leonard Tillerman
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star-reviews
"First they came for the communists,

And I did not speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,

And I didn't speak out because I was not a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,

And I did not speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me,

And then there was no one left to speak out for me."

(Martin Niemoller)

Does the quotation noted above resonate with you in any way?  The possibility of individual rights and freedoms being gradually stripped away.  The
Wendy Slater
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful story of the hero’s journey and awakening in a sci-fi fantasy dystopian world.

Wham! is a wonderfully written and richly woven story that fully engages the reader from the beginning! The book’s setting is a dystopian world of oppression. It is hard to say whether this is a world in the future or the past as the author deftly weaves ancestry, history, alliances and conflicts with the magic and fantasy world of wizards, dragons, elves, and secret wisdom.

Quickly the reader sees that this
Kacey Kells
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A dystopian AND a fantasy novel, WHAM (Timewalker 1) is a fabulous story! It takes place in a world that reminded me of Orwell's 1984, highlighted with the presence of fairies, elves, orcs... and magic, adding colors to this dark world.

Indeed, beyond the bleak description of this cruel society and the tyrannic rules imposed by the World Alliance, there is a beautiful and shining world where hope survives thanks to the union of different races (humans, fairies, elves, orcs..) and to their commit
S.J. Hermann
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
From the first few pages of WHAM, you are immediately drawn in. When her family is ripped apart by, Children and Family Assistance, Tess vows to find her sister Nia and bring her family together again.
This amazing book completely threw me off guard. Filled with elves, fairies and a touch of time travel, WHAM is one of those rare books that grabs you and pulls you along.
Both Tess's and Nia's stories are captivating, though I found myself more intrigued by Nia's story arch. Held captive, she endu
Ken Stark
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wham! by Carol Marrs Phipps and Tom Phipps takes us to a dystopian world all too easy to imagine as our own future. The World Alliance maintains control by poisoning the land, sea, and air, then herding the displaced population into communal barracks where every word and action can be monitored by the ever-present 'skinnies'. And all of this, of course, in the name of the greater good. Enter the Greenwood family, torn apart before we can even get to know them. It seems that seventeen-year-old Te ...more
Mark Carnelley
Mar 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant Dystopian Fantasy!

This read, by far, is one of the best Dystopian Fantasy books that I have had the absolute pleasure of reading (and reviewing). It follows the story of the Greenwood family and in particular of young Tess and her sister Nia. The family ripped apart by the World Alliance, the all powerful government that rules with an iron fist, whose word is law and death for those who dare to oppose. Nia is taken away to be used as a prostitute for the ruling elite, and is lucky enou
William Stuart
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read the Heart of the Staff series by Carol Marrs Phipps and Tom Phipps and enjoyed it tremendously. When the duo released Wham! (Timewallker # 1), it went on my TBR immediately! Read on for my thoughts.

Synopsis (from the author): When the World Alliance seized power from all the governments of the world, they said it was for the greater good. They said it was necessary to unite all the nations of the globe under one banner in order to bring universal peace, equality and prosperity to the worl
Eichin Chang-Lim
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
“WHAM!” is the first book of the “TIMEWALKER.” The authors initiate this series with a unique concept-“Time does not Exist,” then stride into the action immediately. Readers can capture the theme of the story and the “wants” of the main characters without feeling the drag.

The story stretches from centuries ago to the unknown (future) time, where the entire world is controlled by one government, the “World Alliance.” All the elements of a fantasy story: trolls, elves, witches, fairies, wizards, a
Richard Cezar
Jun 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
An epic fantasy

Young Tess and Nia Greenwood are torn apart, and yanked away from their family in a dystopian world. Nia is whisked away to The Capitol, where she is force to serve “at the pleasure” of The Potentate. Tess, on the other hand, finds herself in a magical world of strange beings, with their own language and ways of doing things. It was a very creative touch by Carol Marrs and Tom Phipps to provide a means to decipher the text. However, after a while, I felt comfortable with it.
Tess
Ken Fry
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've given 5* for sheer imagination and originality.
What's a 'skinny?' At first I thought it was a bit of bathroom/toilet equipment...but no...an Orwellian 1984 spy device fitted into every home across the world wide government's attempt at mass control of every aspect of human activity. The central character of Tess Greenwood rebels and refuses to adapt as her family are commandeered and their goods and property seized for the greater good of society. Her refusal and rebellion turn this dystop
H.M. Holten
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Dystopian Fantasy
Wham is a fitting title to a dystopian scenario that hits you between the eyes. There are elements of Margaret Atwood in the class divisions, but the authors have their own style. They bring across their message with compelling prose. The characters, be they elves, fairies, wizards, potentates, or ‘ordinary’ school children, are convincing and real. The world building is as strong, and the wasteland of the ‘normal’ world contrasts resoundingly with the hidden fairy country. As t
Dee
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The title, “Wham!” makes an impact, and so does the opening scene where the Greenwood home is invaded, and the family is separated by the evil “Children and Family Assistance.” At first, I thought this was your typical dystopian story, but I quickly learned it is so much more. Layer upon layer was peeled back as I read, revealing themes of corruption, power, and greed as well as familial love and loyalty that spans the ages. I instantly liked the youngest Greenwood, Tess, and felt for her and th ...more
E.M. Kelly
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I love dystopian novels and this book was amazing. Some really great writing and the story flowed. If you enjoyed the Wizard of Oz, The Hunger Games and LOTR then you'll love this book. Incredible world building with unique characters. As a father of a young daughter I really enjoyed the two strong lead female characters. When my daughter is older I will definitely recommend she reads this book. The use of imagination is spectacular. I'm not one for giving away plot, so you'll have to trust ...more
Alex Bailey
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When the Greenwood family is separated, the parents taken off to who-knows-where, daughter Nia taken to the capital to be sexually abused, and daughter Tess left alone at home to wonder what is next for her family, the story begins to unfold. A dystopian world of humans, trolls, fairies, and wizards, with a single oppressive government entity that is brutal in the way it treats its citizens “for the good of all” where clean air and water are no longer available, due to the excessive chemicals us ...more
Larry B Gray
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I totally enjoyed reading Wham and the best description I have of it is WOW. The book took off from page one and never slowed, I could not put it down. I highly recommend this to all fantasy lovers.
Lex Allen
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The opening scene in this dystopian/fantasy tale is extremely fast-paced with zero explanation and maximum use of action verbs. It’s well done and fits the definition of the word and title of the series perfectly. “Wham,” book one in the Timewalker Series, by Carol Marrs Phipps and Tom Phipps is a fantastic start to what will undoubtedly become a bestseller in the science fiction/fantasy/dystopian genres.

There is much to praise in the writing of “Wham.” The characters, action scenes and world/so
Roy Murry
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
WHAM
TIMEWALKER Book 1

CAROL MARRS PHIPPS
& TOM PHIPPS

Reviewed by Author Roy Murry

WHAM is not the first Phipps' book that I have read. I follow an author because they add something interesting to my life.

In TIMEWALKER, Book 1 in a trilogy, they have presented a fantasy that will keep the reader amazed. The story line is not complicated, but the imaginary back ground is intriguing.

Children and Families, a futuristic government agency, in a military action, arrives at a family's home. They abduct Tes
Marcus Williams
Mar 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Wham! spins the tale of two young fairies in a science fantasy dystopian world. And I mean an actual dystopian world, not the husk of one bolted to the end of its real genres just to earn another tag.

Upon Unity Day, all nations the globe over ceded their authority to the World Alliance, leaving it free to shape the planet and its citizens to their will. It didn’t waste any time, killing off nature with its mass spraying of pesticides, corralling undesirable populations, and indoctrinating child
Elaina
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Set in a world poisoned and strictly monitored, this is a work of absolute imagination. Yes, there are fairies, elves and trolls (and other strange creatures) but not as you think you know them. High-tech and magic stand side by side here, and it works, an urban fantasy that is also epic, dystopian, and much more.

I loved the added languages! And the ingenuity amid the characters is riveting. As reader, you experience a range of emotions, from despair to hope, anger to celebration (and sometimes
Kristy Volchko
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An imaginative, epic story!

WHAM! Is the first book in the Timewalker series and I can't wait to read the next installment! I enjoyed everything about this book. The action-packed beginning, overall story, characters, the introduction 'Time Does Not Exist', and even the added glossary meant to help readers navigate through the (easy to get used to) beautiful language.

The corrupt World Alliance has taken over, and the Greenwood sisters must wade through some dark waters in order to survive. In th
Ingrid Foster
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
What attracted me to Carol Marrs Phipps' WHAM! was the cover. Then, upon reading the first page, I was hooked.

WHAM! is a truly great, original story full of surprises, twists and captivating turns. I think my favorite part was when Tess and Nia discovered their heritage, especially Tess, talk about a much-needed ego boost...

If you enjoy fantasy adventure told in the tradition of RR Tolkien and the Brothers Grimm with a healthy dose of apocalyptic realism, you'll love this story.

Can't wait for
T.E. Mark
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the best Sci-Fi / Fantasies I've ever read.

In Wham (Timewalker) Vol 1, Carol Marrs Phipps and Tom Phipps have delivered us a truly fine novel. One that blends elements of a dystopian Science-Fiction piece with those of a rich and colourful fantasy.
The book moves seamlessly between the two genres, is compelling [Truly a difficult novel to put down] and the pace is brilliant.
My highest recommendation for the ingenuity and especially the creativity.
TE Mark - Author and founding member of Wri
Gerri
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! From the first page you're pulled into a very ugly dysfunctional world where the characters are what you care about. Human, Elf Fariy, Troll, Elves... And the Potentate! Such evil in a beautiful body who, at the end of book 0ne of this series, appears to be able to inflict even more misery onto this already miserable, suffering world. I can't wait to read more from this pair of authors. ...more
Linda
Jul 05, 2018 rated it liked it
I love dystopian books but I had some trouble getting into this one. The troll speaking gave me a headache trying to read and didn’t get the fairy talk. The plot is really good, I like the conflict of what’s happening. Knowing the author is from the UK I got the slang but for those who don’t, it could be confusing.
Gavin
Sep 27, 2018 rated it did not like it
This is usually the kind of stuff that I like to read, kinda like my closet passion since I’m usually into history and non-fiction but I wasted my money on this one. I didn’t finish it because it dragged on and on without end and at times it was definitely weird. Just couldn’t do it, sorry.
D. Peach
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book has some fresh and unique worldbuilding that I thoroughly enjoyed. The story takes place in a dystopian future. The air is poisoned, the land withered, and there’s a clear sense of Big Brother ugliness about the place. The ruling class, a mega-powerful organization called the Alliance, controls the world and monitors everyone’s lives through surveillance orbs called Skinnies. The main character, Tess, is a disgruntled teen with a green-mohawk and combat boots. She doesn’t know it yet, ...more
Jennifer Kellie
Mar 07, 2019 rated it did not like it
I picked this up because the reviews sounded great, but I have no idea how people gave it such a good score. First off, there should be a massive trigger warning, not only is there rape, it is a significant part of the storyline. Second, it tries to be sciency, but misses the mark pretty hard in some cases. For example, if two women were to conceive, the result would be female, there is no "choosing the sex". Third, the slang and fae language is (borderline) illegible. Even trying to read it wit ...more
Vicky Whedbee
Sep 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic storyline!

Don't let the page count defer you from reading this book! There is an excerpt from the sequel at the end thankfully so you aren't left hanging, and quite a glossary of all the characters, places mentioned in the book, as well as translations of the languages. It's very extensive!

That being said, I've had this book for a while but not being a genre I usually read it kept getting put aside. Don't do that either!

It's really quite fascinating! The characters are extremely diver
Scriptrix
May 26, 2020 rated it it was ok
I was drawn in by the gorgeous cover art and the many great reviews of this book, but alas... I just couldn't connect with the writing style. The voice in which this book is written utilizes a lot of dialect, which is a hard sell for me. Plus I felt like the dialogue didn't sound the way actual people talk. The plot wasn't enough to keep me engaged, and I ended up DNFing at around 40%.

Clearly this book is somebody's cup of tea, but it seems it isn't mine. :(
Angela
Oct 07, 2020 rated it it was ok
The title was a huge turnoff, but I gave it a chance because the rest of the cover was so pretty, and the story itself seemed intriguing. Unfortunately, on just the first page, characters gasp, cry, bark, wail, hiss, shout, roar, bellow, and scream their dialogue. I gave it a few more chapters, but it was just too juvenile for me.

• Well Behaved Wives
  • Wolfsbane (Sianim, #4; Aralorn, #2)
  • The Wind Guardian
  • Dragon's Storm (Wild Dragons #3)
  • Silence of the Wolf (Heart of the Wolf #13; Silver Town Wolf #4)
  • Wild Sign (Alpha & Omega, #6)
  • Dark Dragon's Mate (Darkwing Dragons #1)
  • The Second Secret (Mackenzie August #2)
  • August Origins (Mackenzie August #1)
  • The Enforcers: Noah (Silverlake Enforcers, #3)
  • The Enforcers: Israel (Silverlake Enforcers, #2)
  • The Enforcers: Kane (Silverlake Enforcers, #1)
  • What I Left Behind (DS Jan Pearce #0)
  • Bad Blood Alpha (Bad Blood Shifters, #5)
  • Bad Blood Panther (Bad Blood Shifters, #4)
  • Das Schicksal der Zwerge (Die Zwerge, #4)
  • Blueshift
  • The Nine-Tailed Fox (Sergeants Sueño and Bascom #12)
I am an author who writes fantasy, mainly with my husband. We currently have nine books independently published on Amazon. I currently live in the country with my husband, eight cats, two cockatiels, a raven and a parrot.

Timewalker (2 books)
  • Then... (Timewalker Book 2)