Start by marking “Dead Madonna (A Loon Lake Mystery, #8)” as Want to Read:
Dead Madonna (A Loon Lake Mystery, #8)

Dead Madonna

(A Loon Lake Mystery #8)

Eighth book in the popular Loon Lake mystery series. Location is Wisconsin
Published April 1st 2007 by Bleak House Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Madonna, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Madonna

Start your review of Dead Madonna (A Loon Lake Mystery, #8)
Jim
For me, these books provide the pleasure of recognition, as I lived near Eagle River for a time. Houston is a pleasant, gracious person, and this is reflected in her work. She does a decent job of portraying the flavor of the Wisconsin Northwoods, an area she obviously loves. Her characters are likeable and the stories are fun.

This book had the same tone of the other books. There is a pleasant sameness to this series. The characters' personalities are always pretty much the same. The
Renee
Apr 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I always enjoy hanging out in Loon Lake. Satisfying listen!

Kindle Unlimited, Read & Listen
Eileen Lynx
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Yummy read it in one bite.
Deon Stonehouse
Dead Madonna by Victoria Houston is a light mystery set in a small town by a lake in Wisconsin. Two women are brutally murdered. Chief Lew Ferris along with her sidekick Doc Osborne are up to the task of catching the bad guys. I like Lew, she is a competent, kind woman with a sense of humor, it is nice to see a woman portrayed as a real person. Lew and Doc share a passion for fishing and each other. The mystery is light, the characters likable, the setting interesting, especially if you like fi ...more
Joan
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoy the Loon Lake series, but found some of the details in this book to be implausible.
For example, someone was opening bank accounts in four states with counterfeit cheques using stolen identities, then immediately withdrawing the cash. No bank is going to deposit a cheque for thousands of dollars, then cash out before the cheque clears, even if it is supposedly drawn on the account of a major company.

A few other things just appeared to be "off" in this book.
Annie
A most excellent 5 star read!
Kate
"Hook, Line ... and Killer

"The bucolic Wisconsin fishing resort town of Look Lake awakens one morning to a double homicide. Party girl DeeDee Kurlander is found dead beneath an affluent tourist's houseboat. Across town, a prominent widow lies savagely murdered in her elegant living room. And police chief Lew Ferris is shorthanded enough to deputize her own romantic interest, Paul Osborne, to assist as investigator and coroner.

"Fishing being one of their shared passions, L
John
Jul 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
Two brutal murders in a small Wisconsin town are clearly linked. Police Chief Lew Ferris and her retired-dentist boyfriend Doc Osborne set out to solve the double crime before anyone else gets killed, and along the way solve a bank-fraud scheme and more.

The identity of the murderer was plain as a pikestaff fairly early on -- so much so that I spent most of the novel wondering how on earth the principals could be so stupid as not to notice the evidence staring them in the faces. That
Sherry
Sep 07, 2010 rated it did not like it
I am always looking for new mystery authors. This book looked interesting, but I was very disappointed in both the story and the characters. It takes place in Wisconsin. This was the most interesting part. It must be quite beautiful there around the lakes and streams. The main character is a female chief of police whom I just didn't feel any reality about. Her sometimes deputy and medical examiner, is her lover, and the town's dentist. I was married to a dentist for 49 years and the description ...more
Oct 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
Being a woman from Wisconsin who likes to get out and fish once in a while, it's a no-brainer that I would really enjoy Victoria Houston's series. I used to save her books to read when I stayed up at a cabin near Rice Lake and enjoy the familiar names to the area as I read.

I enjoy that the author has chosen to tell the stories from a man's point of view. I often think how cool it is that I have almost nothing in common with the main charactor and yet I completly sink into the story every time.
Lauri Saplad
Nov 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: americana, mysteries
Excellent book! While still falling into the 'cozy mystery' category, Loon Lake has a bite & a bit of the dark side which makes it more interesting than average. Small town America with engaging , likeable characters you can really care about. It's just that sometimes someone or two will get murdered in an appalling manner... I want to read more of these! Gotta love Lew.
Kitty Tomlinson
Feb 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Doc, a retired dentist, and the local sheriff (Lew Ferris--who is female, by the way) investigate 2 dead bodies. One under a pontoon party barge and one at the victim's home. They discover the murders are related. Add in bank fraud, job fairs and you've got quite a mix of clues. Fun read.
Bob M.
Apr 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
Not bad...but you can see the perpetrator coming a mile away...even though the authorities can't! And I was disappointed in the amount of info apparently disseminated by the killer before being taken down. Very unlikely and unrealistic.
Julie
Jan 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Another interesting mystery. A young woman is found dead under a boat and a widow is found bludgeoned in her home. The manner of death connects them. Chief Lew & Doc slowly unravel what happened along with some other crimes. Worth the read.
Roxann
Jan 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Another great book from this author. It always seems to be a good little murder mystery in Northern Wisconsin. The fishing tips are an added bonus.
William
Aug 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
not what I hoped
Jim
Sep 07, 2010 rated it liked it
A very typical Loon Lake mystery. The characters get developed, but it seemed a little disjointed at times.
Carl
Oct 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Comfortable
Mike Murray
Nov 10, 2016 rated it liked it
2016 Book #71/35: Fun and fast.
Lorlee
Jan 24, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Party girl found under boat and a widow bludgeoned.

Was the crazy wife of the couple who was doing job fairs -- and skimming the registration forms.

Glenda
Feb 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good cozy mystery series
Cherie Zamel
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013-reads
This 8th book in this series wasn't written as well as some of the others in the series. I was a bit disappointed.
Nancy
Aug 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love this series! Ms. Houston's writing has become much more polished and her characters are as likable as ever!
Debbie
Nov 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
It was barely okay. Childish writing.
Alice
Aug 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
I love this because it takes me to the homeland of Northern Wisconsin. It's like I'm there when I can't be and it is a great mystery.
Tim
Haley Mayer
Mar 27, 2010
Lorrie Meneely
Jan 02, 2015

• Blowout: Corrupted Democracy, Rogue State Russia, and the Richest, Most Destructive Industry on Earth
  • The Bitterroots (Cassie Dewell, #4)
  • Robert B. Parker's The Bitterest Pill (Jesse Stone, #18)
  • Madman on a Drum (Mac McKenzie, #5)
  • Frozen Assets (Officer Gunnhilder, #1)
  • The Widow's Strike (Pike Logan, #4)
  • Perish (Gardiner and Renner, #3)
  • Charm City (Tess Monaghan #2)
  • Lisette's List
  • The Spook in the Stacks (Lighthouse Library Mystery #4)
  • The Cat of the Baskervilles (A Sherlock Holmes Bookshop Mystery #3)
  • A Magical Match (A Witchcraft Mystery #9)
  • As Death Draws Near (Lady Darby Mystery #5)
  • Even the Wicked (Matthew Scudder #13)
  • The Stone Wife (Peter Diamond, #14)
  • The Shaming Eyes (A Nick Drake Novel Book 3)
  • A Scandal in Scarlet (A Sherlock Holmes Bookshop Mystery, #4)
  • Take Me Home (A Callaway Novella)
She is the author of the Loon Lake Mystery Series -- DEAD ANGLER, DEAD CREEK, DEAD WATER, DEAD FRENZY, DEAD HOT MAMA, DEAD JITTERBUG, DEAD BOOGIE, DEAD MADONNA, DEAD HOT SHOT, DEAD RENEGADE. DEAD DECEIVER, DEAD TEASE and DEAD INSIDER, DEAD LIL’ HUSTLER, DEAD RAPUNZEL, DEAD LOUDMOUTH, DEAD SPIDER, DEAD FIREFLY the 18th in the series, will be published in JUNE 2018 in hardcover, trade paperback and ...more

A Loon Lake Mystery (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Dead Angler (A Loon Lake Mystery, #1)
  • Dead Creek (A Loon Lake Mystery #2)
  • Dead Water (A Loon Lake Mystery, #3)
  • Dead Frenzy (A Loon Lake Mystery, #4)
  • Dead Hot Mama (A Loon Lake Mystery,#5)
  • Dead Jitterbug (A Loon Lake Mystery, #6)
  • Dead Boogie (A Loon Lake Mystery, #7)
  • Dead Hot Shot (A Loon Lake Mystery, #9)
  • Dead Renegade (A Loon Lake Mystery, #10)
  • Dead Deceiver (A Loon Lake Mystery, #11)