Start by marking “A God in the Shed” as Want to Read:
A God in the Shed

A God in the Shed

3.58  ·  Rating details ·  798 Ratings  ·  172 Reviews
-Move over True Detective. A rich, gothic story of murder and mystery, A God in The Shed is quite possibly one of the most enthralling novels I've read in the last ten years. Dubeau is a force to be reckoned with.- --Jerry Smith, Fangoria Magazine and Blumhouse.com
The village of Saint-Ferdinand has all the trappings of a quiet life: farmhouses stretching from one main str
Published June 13th 2017 by Inkshares

To ask other readers questions about A God in the Shed, please sign up.
Katherine Yes! He's working on the sequel right now. I think it may even be a trilogy. :)

Ann (Little Bear) Baratheon
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: horror lovers, fans of King, Barker, Gaiman
“Saint-Ferdinand. Home of the Saint-Ferdinand Killer. A monster with a reign of terror stretching back almost two decades...Here, the boogeyman was real.”

The small Canadian town where this tale of monsters, ghosts, and magic takes place, is far from what you would call “quaint”. Despite having been plagued for years by a murderous force, the families that have lived there for generations remain, perhaps with hope that the serial killer inciting fear through citizens of all ages will soon be c
Ellen Gail
Apr 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss, horror
"Do you know what's the worst thing about this creature here in Saint-Ferdinand?...It makes us into monsters, just as we make it into a god of hate and death."

Here's a list of things I knew about A God in the Shed before I started it:

*scary book
*strange bloody thorn looking things on the cover?
*Edelweiss said yes

That's it. I went into this as blind a bat, but without the bat's echolocation.

And what a pleasant surprise it was! Whatever I expected, this was not it.

Now granted, it has been over a
Chris Berko
Nov 17, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked this one, it was good but not great. Really cool story idea and a lot of messed up shit happens to the characters, however I felt absolutely nothing for anyone and had no emotional reactions to anything that happened. A large cast of characters without enough development to make any one stand out from the other and it was kind of a chore remembering who was who just because of their blandness. It sounds like I'm knocking this book pretty hard but it was enjoyable. A better editor would c ...more
July Is The Shadow Out of Time The Haunted Reading Room
Review: A GOD IN THE SHED by J. F. Debeau

A GOD IN THE SHED is an incredibly complex novel, literary in format, stunning in execution. Simultaneously the story of individuals and families, a torn and battered community, legacies gone grievously wrong; of murders and suffering, of deaths and grief, this is also the story of a band of young boys, tautly connected, the day they discover the impossible really exists, and the horrendous, permanent (even eternal) consequences of that day and that disco
The Grim Reader (Beavisthebookhead.com)
My, oh my, this is a grim tale indeed. A God in the Shed is a novel filled with small town secrets, necromancy, dismembered bodies and scenes of horror that will burrow deep inside of your mind. I saw a reviewer friend raving about this book and so I had to check it out. It starts off weird and dark, then gets darker and darker and darker, until you reach a point where you feel soiled and creeped the f##k out!

I knew this was going to be a bleak journey very early on when a child’s body is uneart
mar
Jul 10, 2017 rated it liked it
THIS ISN'T A REVIEW. IT'S MORE LIKE ME RAMBLING INCOHERENTLY ABOUT THINGS THAT ONLY ME WILL PROBABLY UNDERSTAND BECAUSE I SUCK AT EXPLAINING... there's a reason why I'll never ever be a teacher.

What the fuck was that?
- me after finishing this book

I feel really betrayed by this book, and I mean it in both good and bad ways. First, this beauty (seriously, look at the cover!) toppled my expectations. Reading the reviews, I had this idea that this is one of those terrifying books that you shouldn'
Mindi
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wow. Why did it take me so long to finally sit down and write this review? I think this is a novel that I wanted to ponder for a little while. I needed to digest it a bit and figure out how to articulate my thoughts. I don't take notes while I read, so sometimes I just have to think about a book for a while before I know what I want to say.

A God in the Shed takes place in the tiny village of Saint-Ferdinand outside of Montreal. I hadn't read the blurb on this book until right before I started re
Lulu // RoadsideReader
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed-2017

facebook // twitter // bloglovin
A fan of gothic stories set in small towns with worldly terrors, I went into A God in the Shed by J-F Dubeau with giddy excitement. While it started strong, ultimately it left me bored.

The prologue started with such promise. It was truly terrifying, well written, and hooked me straightaway. I wondered what would happen now with this cave dwelling god. How will this small town endure?

The answer? Pretty easily. The majority of the book consists of alternating point
Stephanie (That's What She Read)
This was such a crazy story! The village of Saint Ferdinand is a small town that has been plagued by a serial murder, but when a suspect is apprehended for the killings the issues don't stop. There is a dark force in the village of Saint Ferdinand. I was not expecting the turns that this book was going to take. My only complaint would be that the number of characters that we heard from made the story a little confusing. That being said, I loved where the story went and the mix of crime story, ho ...more
Nicole Beaudry
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Full honesty, I received this book for free as an ARC from a friend. Unrated until the book is released.

J-F Dubeau's A God in the Shed is perfectly creepy - a taut, atmospheric horror/thriller set in small town Quebec. Starting with the very creepiest of prologues, Dubeau immediately sets the tone of this book. He promises mystery, terror, death, and gore, and he definitely delivers throughout the length of the book. The chill-factor is ratcheted up to ten with the presence of a little girl ghos
 Charlie - A Reading Machine
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Stephen King's It meets Jeepers Creepers. Full review to come on Fantasy Faction soon.
Vanessa
Jul 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: bookriot
I won! After several years and over 100 entries, I finally won a GR giveaway! There are so many people I want to thank: my family, the Great Old Ones, whoever drew my name out of that hat at the Goodreads office.

First of all, this book, published by Inkshares, has a gorgeous design: creepy/beautiful cover art, the good, fancy paper and font, book flaps (I love flaps on a paperback, even if I'm a compulsive bookmark user.)

This horror fiction, set in the fictional hamlet of Saint-Ferdinand in sout
John
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very different, very clever, and VERY strange. The middle could be a bit less long, though.
Shane Douglas Keene
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When I first was told about this book, my mental response was, "J-F who?" Now that I've read it, I'll do everything I can to let other people know who he is. It's his second novel but his first in horror and, in that respect, it's a stellar debut. If you haven't read him yet, you want to. Style-wise, Dubeau is in a realm of his own design and it's a scary place to be.

Rarely do I use the words disturbing, or unsettling when it comes to Horror. I'm jaded by years of it so not much scares me. This
Tal M. Klein
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Utterly terrifying and captivating. I've heard J-F Dubeau referred to as the "next Stephen King," and found myself nodding in agreement. His storytelling is seamless and belies the complexity of his ensemble of three-dimensional (or more!) characters. This is a terrifying book that demands the reader's attention. By that I mean it's not a book one skims or does a cursory read through — something I suspect a reviewer below who only gave A God in the Shed a two-star review may be guilty of. If you ...more
Lisa Cleveland
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Dang! This was one nicely messed up little town. They've got a serial killer on the loose, who ended up being one of my favorite characters in the book. They've also got a nasty little god in a shed. Some folk think they can set it free, and have a few wishes taken care of. Don't they read books? Ha, ha. These things NEVER turn out well. I had a great time reading this book, as there were quite a few twists, and bloody,goopy gore. I love that stuff! So why the 4 stars? Well, turns out that while ...more
J.L. Murray
Nov 12, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
I wanted to love this, but the sloppy writing and typos were too distracting. If it were professionally edited, it might be a good yarn. As it stands, life is too short to finish books not ready for publication.
Timbre Wolf
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I won this in a giveaway and holy crap I'm so happy I did!!! This book was fantastic, dark, mysterious, and gruesome! Sucked me right in. Very much recommend!
January
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm kinda amazed when I find an author who can write a book that makes me care about characters, has a gripping story, and leaves me wanting to jump into another one of their books. Those are the authors you keep tabs on to see if a new book is out yet, and I don't find them very often.

Jean-Francois Dubeau is one of those authors. Fantastic storytelling in 'A God in the Shed'. I really enjoyed it and pretty much devoured it all in one day. On to 'The Life Engineered'!
Literary Weaponry
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
(review from http://literaryweaponry.com)
DNF at 35%.

I’m sorry to say that this book found it’s way into the DNF pile at 35% complete. When I spotted this book on the shelf at Barnes and Noble and popped onto Goodreads to see some of the opinions about it I got excited. It sounded right up my alley. Mysterious killer, cult like town activity, and evil secrets. For the first 50 or so pages I was completely immersed but that quickly changed. The pacing was mind numbingly slow and I couldn’t get th
Mark Smith-briggs
Mar 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
J-F Dubeau’s A God in the Shed is a novel full of interesting ideas, let down by some sloppy execution. A small-town Gothic mystery with occult trappings, it’s a solid horror story in the vein of TV’s True Detective or Twin Peaks that would have benefited from another round of edits.
Packed with a myriad of characters and a slowly deepening mystery as the layers of old secrets of the town are stripped away, it should be a riveting read. Unfortunately, passages are often overwritten and descripti
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
So happy to be reading my first love, horror, again! And what a story to get into! Occult? Yes! Supernatural? Yes! Ancient Evil? Yessssssssss! A dark spirit introduces itself to a group of boys years ago, but it plays by its own rules and should you choose to cheat... well, nothing can save you. Don't anger this ancient god, do not break the rules and do NOT set it free once you find a way to trap it. Flash forward and we see the town of Saint-Ferdinand in which the inhabitants have been living ...more
Bogdan
May 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
This was kind of a mix bag, with a good, interesting, spoooky ideea, but with way too many characters, and inconsistencies and not so important things mixed in the whole plot. And the length of the volume isn`t helping, either.

It reminded me of a romanian book by Liviu Radu, named Spaime. The romanian readers will know what I`m talking about.

In a lot of moments I felt that this book could have been more interesting and more compact in it`s own ideeas, but, oh well, that didn`t happen! And I say
Julie Kuehl
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm not big into horror or mysteries, but this book totally sucked me in. Absolute page-turner! My friend has become a world-class writer and I can't wait for more! This book is the first of a trilogy and I hope the other two don't take to long to write.
Blake
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I've ever read.
J. Dorn
I want to write a semi-intelligent review for my boy Dubeau, hold onto your butts.
Gary Fisher
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm not usually a fan of horror, but I loved this book. It's a modern Lovecraftian tale with lots of cringe-worthy moments, in the most positive sense.

J-F. Dubeau, you are one sick puppy.
Audrey Laurey
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Ahck, this is kind of rambly: What a visceral, grotesque, and absolutely fabulous horror novel that kept me up way past my bedtime! This book has everything from necromancing, creepy genitalless child demon thingy, village cults, dark circus, dismembered bodies, etc. Apparently these are common horror tropes. However, horror isn't a genre I read often and I could not put this book down.

Well written, but not overly literary, and I enjoyed the different chapters that are split up by characters vo
Jeff
Dec 03, 2017 rated it did not like it
An utter disaster and one hell of a disappointment.

This book had so much promise; I was really looking forward to what Dubeau had in store for me... Unfortunately, what the author had to offer was super boring and a waste of my time.

In the 1800's, a man named Nathan Cicero and his friends discover a strange deity living in a cave in the woods in Canada. At first, the deity is childlike and the boys play with him, using certain rules (the most important of which being that the players cannot mo
Tobin Elliott
Dec 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, hard-copy, horror
Hmmm. This is a frustrating one. 3.5 stars grudgingly rounded up to for. Why?

Because at times, this novel was as brilliant as they come. Imagination and horror to spare.

And then there were the times when it almost felt like either a second, far less talented author took over, or else sections were simply skipped over in the editing process.

For every stunning scene of the titular God in the shed (those scenes just pretty much sing), there's a scene of stunningly clunky dialogue. For every gorgeou
I love stories. I love consuming them and telling them. Whether as books or comics or movies or interactive role playing games or even on stage doing improv, I just love stories.

I currently work as a graphic designer where I get to tell other people's stories in images and brands. In my spare time I write and illustrate a web comic called The Eldritch Age.

I have a fascination for science, both as
More about J-F Dubeau

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
  • We'll Always Have Paris: Stories
  • The Hidden Flower
  • Greyhound
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Take Two (Above the Line, #2)
  • The Heart Mender: A Story of Second Chances
  • Where We Belong
    $5.99 $1.49
  • Cashelmara
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)
  • The Sisterhood of Blackberry Corner
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Gates of Rome (Emperor, #1)
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things
  • Edward Adrift
  • The Restaurant Critic's Wife
    $3.99 $1.99
“The god she could outrun, but the guilt was already catching up to her.” 0 likes