Start by marking “The Last to Die” as Want to Read:
The Last to Die

The Last to Die

It all started out as a game.

Just a way to have fun. We figured as long as we had rules, it wouldn't be a problem.

RULE #1: Only break into one another's houses.

RULE #2: Only take stuff that can be replaced.

It worked for a while. Whoever's turn it was to break in got a rush, and the rest of us laughed over the trophies they brought back. But then someone went too far. Lives
Published April 4th 2017 by Poisoned Pen Press

To ask other readers questions about The Last to Die, please sign up.
Alycia I totally think so. There isn't much inappropriate content that isn't already in YA books. The book has bad language, yes, but sex is only brought up …moreI totally think so. There isn't much inappropriate content that isn't already in YA books. The book has bad language, yes, but sex is only brought up a couple of times- no descriptive steamy scenes to worry about. The book does talk about drugs and alcohol though. However, if the reader is a mature 13 year old, I don't think it's all that bad. I know several mature 13 year olds who have read the book and even their teacher read it with them. She said it was fine for their age. So, overall, I think your in the clear.(less)

Start your review of The Last to Die
Chelsea Humphrey
While experienced readers may find the conclusion predictable, this was still a solid debut from an author that I look forward to following in the future. Teens may find the characters more relatable than I did, although I think this is a fun, light mystery for all ages! If you're searching for a YA caper that feels modern with a captivating cover-look no further.

*Many thanks to the publisher for providing my review copy via NetGalley.
Sarah Joint
Apr 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
A 3.5 rounded up to a 4. It's a strong start for a debut novel, and I'm excited to see what the author comes up with next. There were a couple of things that kept me from a higher rating: I occasionally had a hard time keeping track of the characters and their motivations, particularly in the beginning. And I didn't completely buy the ending. It's still a nice quick read that I enjoyed. Good for YA readers, particularly those that love a little mystery.

Teenager Harper and her friends have a stra
JenacideByBibliophile
Disclaimer: This book was sent to me by the publisher, Sourcebooks Fire, via Netgalley and Edelweiss+ for an honest review.

Opinion:

Burglaries, Teen Angst, Competition and Murder?!

description

Why, it’s positively sinful!

Harper and her friends have spent the last weeks of their summer doing what regular teens do. Drinking, beach days, trips to the mall, a smattering of experimental drugs and a casual burglary or two. With strict rules to only steal replaceable items from each of their houses, marking their
Audrey
Sep 01, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So the premise of the book totally had me in a pseudo-Bling Ring kind of way:

A group of teens who are seemingly rich and privileged, but become bored with just drinking and recreational drugs for a good time, devise a "game" where they break into people's houses for the thrill of it. There are a bunch of rules they have to follow and they up the ante to keep things interesting....

....And then someone dies!

Sign. Me. Up.

Unfortunately, that's about the time the book fell flat on its face. And give
Kelly Brigid ♡
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc, mystery, young-adult
I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!

I went into this book with fairly high expectations. The synopsis of it intrigued me, but I'm sad to say that I was left feeling disappointed. This book had such great potential, but it unfortunately couldn't pull through. Although this book is a light murder mystery, there was hardly any suspense at all. People's houses are broken into, friends are murdered, yet, there wasn't any tension. Everything was regard
Beth
* I received an arc of this from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review *

The mystery was intriguing to keep reading but wasn’t anything to particularly write home about. It was pretty easy to find out who was behind everything even though there were plenty of red herrings.

I loved the setting of this book. A good isolated location with a small amount of characters. Unfortunately I didn’t really like any of the characters enough to care about what happened to them.

I do think this was a stro
I am getting really tired of books with non-endings. Seriously?
J. Taylor
Apr 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
I received this book from the publishers through Netgalley in exchange of an honest review.

2.5 While I liked this book fine I wasn't overly impressed with it. Harper, the main character narrator, was very cold, like her friends are dying around her and she reacts to their death in the coldest manner. There should be a hell of a lot emotion, yet Harper barely reacted. This book is a mystery, yet the characters didn't really think hard about looking for clues, they just had this one suspicion and
☀︎El In Oz☀︎
2/5
that ending was awful. why tf would she go to jail? after killing in self defense, killing a murderer? after he essentially tried to kill her? sorry but that's not how it works. I liked Harper a lot as the MC and that ending I will pretend does not exist. awful. other than that this book i felt was too short to be a good mystery.
Lindsay♫SingerOfStories♫
I read this book as an ARC provided to me by Edelweiss and the publisher -- all opinions are my own.
This book is set to publish on November 5th, 2019.

Harper and her friends are basically an average group of teenagers until one day they decide to take a little risk. One friend in their group--Paisley--is going out of town for vacation so the rest of the group decides to try their hands at burglarizing her house. They set a list of rules: only steal things that can be replaced (i.e. no precious fa
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
Thank you to Poison Pen and NetGalley for allowing me to review this complimentary ARC copy of LAST TO DIE in exchange for my honest review.

Harper and her wealthy friends rob each others' homes for fun, following careful rules. Steal nothing that can't be replaced, and nothing personal. When two in their group die under separate, mysterious circumstances, she wonders whether someone is targeting them and if so, is that individual one of their own.

Kelly Garrett created an imperfect, not always li
amanda
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a fine debut but not particularly original or heart-stopping. I was disappointed in a lot of the misogynistic language in the beginning and I'll be honest I had to force myself to continue. I don't think we should encourage that especially if this is geared towards teens, Saying that drinking makes a teen aged girl easy isn't a nice message.

The protagonist sucked point blank. She was crude to the point of being flat out unlikable and made me not care about the story line altogether. Th
A.V. Geiger
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This YA mystery is completely binge-able. I received an ARC, and I devoured the whole thing in one gulp. The story follows a group of six bored high-schoolers who rebel against their wealthy parents by robbing each other's homes. The narrator is Harper, a tough, edgy bad-girl. She's not entirely likable at the beginning (and she's not supposed to be), but she has her reasons for acting the way she does. As things go awry and the tension builds, her character is forced to grow and confront her ow ...more
Jessica Torres
Hmmm when I started this book I was enjoying it a lot, but then nothing happens. It has no sense. Harper was such a Brat, her friends die and she’s just saying jokes and things. My favorite character was Gin, he always was so sweet to Harper and Kind to Maggie.
Lost in Book Land
Welcome Back!

This is such an exciting time here on the blog! I spent a lot of time this past weekend making a ton of updates and changes to the blog and I am loving how everything is turning out so far. I have a bunch more changes planned and I intend to keep rolling them out as the week goes on. I am excited to see how the final product looks as I finish bringing the changes to the site in the near future! If you see any new features you like (or any you would like to see) definitely let me kn
Courtney McGhee
Such a disappointment. I won’t give away any spoilers, but this book just wasn’t very good. The plot, the characters, the ending. None of it was satisfying.
Cassie
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is just...not good. I was really looking forward to reading this one because the concept is very original: a group of friends agreeing to break into each others' houses for fun, but gets taken too far. I received this book for Christmas as it's not available through my library system, and I brought it with my on my plane ride to Japan as I'm resolving to read more books I own this year. To say I was disappointed is an under-statement. The characters lack depth and are frankly written.. ...more
Sheryl Scarborough
Nov 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What can go wrong when group of bored, rich kids decide to liven things up by stealing from each other's homes while their families are on vacation? Take an interesting cross-section of bright, but bored high school-aged characters, add in parents in various stages of "don't get it." Apply the pressure of self-destructive competition and then start killing them off one at a time. What you get is The Last to Die by Kelly Garrett. The I-didn't-see-it-coming ending is truly the best part, but getti ...more
Jill Bautista
I honestly have no idea where the plot of the book went, or why the characters were the way they were. Harper has an attitude because of her family situation, but other than that I don't see anything else. As for the character's actions, it just fell flat of the reasoning of why, and the ending of the book really did seem like there was more to the book, but it just ended. ...more
Tiffany Lloyd
Oct 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow!!! I could not put this book down. Different than what I was expecting but really good. The main character harper is an ass didn't care for her. But it turned out to be a great book ...more
Kelsey Lewandowski
I really hated the ending of this book. It was rushed and felt very forced. There was a good opportunity to have a massive twist but it was totally missed. Not much build into the mystery either. All in all a miss for me. On the plus side, it was a quick and easy read. Great for the beach!
Lauren
Mar 05, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found it hard to connect with the characters. The ending wasn’t satisfying for me, and I didn’t feel like there were plot twists which the summary promised. It was just okay.
Callie F.
Jun 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

At the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, my mom took me to Target to get a few books. She’d figured we’d be stuck at home for a while, and that was before I had a job, so I knew I’d be sitting around doing nothing all day. While browsing through the shelves, I picked out a book I had been wanting to read for a while. I was only planning on buying the one book, but my mom suggested I should get another one. That’s when I saw The Last to Die. I’m a sucker for mystery books, so the title roped m
Rachel Mitchell
Apr 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A quick summary before things get a little more spoiler-y.

*I loved this book
*I read it in a night- super bingable!
*I loved that it included a deaf character and EXTENSIVE talk about ASL, learning to sign, her life at school vs. home. etc.
*This book is about complicated teens. They aren't nice, and I think that comes across as cold or bratty to some, but I thought it was incredibly realistic. Fans of "The Female of the Species" and "The Secret History" will love this book.

*on to more detail belo
Tiffany Martin
Oct 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Harper and her group of extremely wealthy friends partake in a dangerous game of breaking and entering into each other's homes, for "fun", as well as the houses of some of their other peers. And while they have ground rules, they are still committing major crimes. However, when one of them ends up dead, Harper is worried it is a murder and not the apparent suicide everyone says it is...and she suspects one of their group is the killer.

This was a really enjoyable mystery/thriller type read! It is
WS_BOOKCLUB
Jun 25, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, mystery
This was an oh dear book for me. The premise – a small group of friends, and the murderer is one of them – seemed interesting, but it lacked something in the execution. I’ll try to put my issues with this book into words, but please bear with me. My train of thought often jumps its track.
I will say that the author made a gutsy choice: not a single character is remotely likeable. I’m pretty sure that was deliberate. It was tough to read a book filled with horrible people, though. The closest thin
Heaven
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First off, thank you Netgalley and the awesome publishers for my copy of this new YA thriller.

I was hooked from the beginning. A bunch of rich teenagers get bored and decide to rob each others houses, what a wonderful idea, nothing could go wrong(insert eye roll).

The story is told in Harper's POV and I must admit I had a love hate relationship with. Yes, her character was sarcastic and at times extremely annoying but I believe the author really captured the way teenagers can be.

I think this is
Dawnny
Oct 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-publishers
It started as a game. Some games should never be played. Six friends decide it would be fun to rob each other's homes, only taking items that are replaceable and their personal bedrooms are definitely off limits. They steal the items and then sell them at the pawn shop. All fun and games until one ends up dead,then another. A criminal minded teen drama. A game with serious consequences. It was pretty good a few good twist.

Source Books Fire

Dawnny Ruby
Novels N Latte Review
Hudson Valley
Megan Leprich
Apr 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, 4-star-review
About the only thing that I liked about this book was the storyline and the main character Harper. It wasn’t a bad book persay, just not full of any suspense or twists in my opinion. I wasn’t really shocked by the big plot twist at the end but I did really enjoy the authors writing. Harpers character was amazing and I couldn’t get enough of her. The ending of this book absolutely killed me though, what the hell was that?
Candice
I actually quite enjoyed this book - it is quick paced, intriguing and definitely has some great twists that felt like they popped out of nowhere to take my completely by surprise. I enjoyed the cast of mostly unlikable characters (they are my favorite), even though on occasion, it felt like they might have played better as adults than high school students.

One that you can fly through in an afternoon, as it is the perfect kind of binge read to spend a day with.op
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
YA Readers and More!: The Last to Die (eveonne & laura) 3 3 Feb 21, 2021 09:57AM

• The Last Witness
  • The Lost
  • The Twin
  • Five Total Strangers
  • #NoEscape (#murdertrending, #3)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Champagne & Handcuffs (Saddles & Racks, #3)
  • Pax Novis (The Pax Archives, #1)
  • Love Drunk (Love Me Duet #1)
  • HEIST: A Melanie Perkiss Witch Hunter Novel
  • Don't Date Rosa Santos
  • These Wicked Waters
  • Manning Up
  • I Am Water
  • Never Ever (Eva Rae Thomas Mystery, #3)
  • Gone Too Far
  • Sick Kids in Love
  • Even If We Break
Kelly Garrett is a writer based in Portland, Oregon, and a 2020 Oregon Literary Fellowship Recipient. Her YA mystery THE LAST TO DIE (Poisoned Pen Press, 2017) was a 2018 Oregon Book Awards finalist and was reissued by Sourcebooks Fire in November 2019.

Kelly also writes under the pen name Emmeline Duncan. The first novel in her Ground Rules series, FRESH BREWED MURDER, comes out on March 30, 2021