Start by marking “Snatch” as Want to Read:

Snatch

Whether it's a Middle East oil crisis in the 1970s or the London Blitz during WWII, world events have a way of breeding trouble on the home front, too. That's how Toby Rinaldi, son of a U.N. Ambassador, wound up kidnapped on his way to a California amusement park, and how Robby Burnes, orphaned son of British nobility, wound up snatched on the snowy streets of New York Cit ...more
Published February 7th 2017 by Hard Case Crime

To ask other readers questions about Snatch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snatch

Start your review of Snatch
Evgeny
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have been warned. Other reviewers said the only good part of the book was the cover. I should have listened. I did not. It was nobody's fault but mine.

The book consists of two novels with the only thing in common between them being the main plot: they are both about a kidnapping of a young boy (different time, different place, different boys).

Snatched aka Who Took Toby Rinaldi?
A diplomat from a Middle Eastern country in US was preparing a very important treaty which powerful people did not w
Josh
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
Published in 2017 by Hard Case Crime as a two-for-one, Snatched (originally published as Who Took Tony Rinaldi) and Safekeeping are kidnap capers with interesting and well developed characters who find themselves in compromising and unpleasant situation.

Form the synopsis, Snatched reads like a thriller laden with politics, lies, and deceit and whist there are lies and deceit aplenty the political angle was played down to the extend it was more background noise than prominent plot piece which al
Mike
Jul 31, 2017 rated it did not like it
In the interest of brevity, I'll just say this: the best thing about "Snatch," by Gregory McDonald, is the cover art. The two books in this volume are pretty awful. Don't bother reading them. The end.

If you're not as much into brevity, I'll explain further. "Snatch" is two novels in one. But both have the same subject--smart young boys are kidnapped by morons. The first novel is about a Middle Eastern Ambassador whose son is stolen to influence a policy speech at the United Nations in the 1970's
Karl
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
In my inability to do diligence, I discovered upon receiving this book it consists of two books I read years ago under two different titles, now plastered together.

I realize that I should check furter into books prior to purchasing them, so I take partial blame, yet I hold anger and animosity toward Hard Case Crime for this deceptive packaging,

The first half of the book was a hardcover (which already I own) first printed in 1980 by Putnam, titled “Who Took Toby Rinaldi?". the story is about a k
Phillip III
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Gregory Mcdonald, who passed away in 2008, is best known for his FLETCH series. Yes. Fletch. That loveable, quirky crime solving journalist depicted by Chevy Chase on the big screen. Back-when I'd read a handful of the Fletch books, and loved them. Now, some two decades later, I am rediscovering Mcdonald's work.

SNATCH is like picking up a 45 record down at the music store. (Feel free to Google the reference if necessary). Hard Case Crime has re-released two novels under one title. SNATCH. And, j
Jiří Pavlovský
Nov 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Nová kniha od Gregory McDonalda, autora Fletche? To je událost! I když je samozřejmě termín "nová" použitý poměrně volně. V knize Snatch jsou dva jeho romány, jeden z roku 80 a druhý z roku 85. Oba jsou na téma únos dítěte, který se poněkud vymkne z rukou.
Ten první román, Snatched, je ze sborníku rozhodně ten lepší. Je unesen syn politika, aby se mu zabránilo v prosazení zákona, jenže díky okolnostem a předávkování spojky zůstane kluk s druholigovým kriminálníkem, který moc netuší, co s ním, ta
Kevin
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Two-time Edgar Award-winner Gregory McDonald is best remembered for FLETCH and its 10 comedic mystery sequels, but he also wrote a number of popular standalone thrillers and mysteries. Snatch collects two McDonald novels that have no characters in common but both revolve around the kidnapping of eight-year-olds.

SNATCH (originally published in 1980 as WHO TOOK TOBY RINALD?) is the breezier of the two, expertly blending action, quirky characters and an acerbic sense of humor. It is told in 67 bit
Martin
Jul 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Two crime novels from the author of Fletch, only the focus is not so much on the crimes but on the more bizarre undersides of American society, seen through the eyes of unassuming 8 year old boys - reminded me a little of Kafka's novel 'America'.
Dave
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it

Hard Case Crime’s latest selection is a two-for-one double bill that harkens back to the old Ace Double paperbacks. Snatch offers us not one, but two, novels from Gregory McDonald, both reprints. The first is “Snatched,” a 1978 book, also released as “Who Took Toby Rinaldi?.” The second is “Safekeeping,” a 1985 book. The two novels, whose pages add up to a whopping 448 pages (two complete novels for the price of one) are wholly distinct, separate, and unrelated, but sharing the fact that both in
Craig Childs
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
This omnibus brings together two short, nearly forgotten novels by the late Gregory Mcdonald. They are not sequels. Both plots revolve around the kidnapping of eight-year boys, but they vary widely in style, tone, and sensibility.

In Snatched (1980), Toby Rinaldo is kidnapped from the New York airport. He is the only son of a UN ambassador from a small, unnamed wealthy Arab nation—think Qatar or United Arab Emirates—and the ransom involves stopping an economic proposal that would keep the Persia
Roger
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was ok
Snatch is actually two books rather than one (Snatch and Safekeeping) by the late Gregory McDonald. The novels are linked thematically (they both involve kidnapping) but other than that they are two separate entities. So-two books for the price of one means two reviews as well.

Snatch

Snatch is a very readable book. The son of an ambassador is kidnapped but the devious child (apparently channeling Kevin from Home Alone) manages to manipulate his kidnapper into taking him to Disneyworld (or at leas
Andrew F
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Two books in an omnibus. The first one (Snatched, or Who Stole Tony Rimbaldi?) is the better of the two, a then-contemporary 1970s thriller from the writer of Fletch. It has a little of The Ransom of Red Chief in its dna, lots of sparkling dialogue and it all moves super fast. It does lack a really terrific central figure like Fletch, Flynn or Jack.

The second book (Safekeeping) is a little funny. It’s set during World War II, and follows an evacuee, an English orphan. It starts off very unMcdona
Bill
Jul 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
I read McDonald's Fletch and Flynn books years ago when they were first published. I enjoyed them immensely and was quite upset when they were made into the Chevy Chase films. Chevy Chase actually was a good choice for Fletch, but the films were awful, relying on gross gags and ridiculous situations and disguises. I kept reading the books though but the quality fell off there as well. But I had found enough memories that I chose to read these re-issus from Hard Case Crime. Again, I found them am ...more
Tom Steer
May 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Personally I believe this book falls solidly in the three star category: the first novel--Snatched--is the better of the two, an enjoyable story of a diplomat's son kidnapped to California. However, I struggled with Safekeeping: I'm surprised Hard Case have published it, as I would struggle to call it a crime novel at all. It reminds me more of a Horatio Alger novel than the pulp crime I would expect of them, and I can't honestly say I enjoyed its rambling plot and cliched characters.

I'd say Sna
Richard Whale
Mar 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the Toby Rinaldi story with it's twists and turns in a wholly absording plot. Very much a page turner and with a very believable account of a kidnapping. I thought the way characters developed was very well done with very few characters ending up as they initially seemed. The only weakness was when "Jackson" is left to mind Toby and the person originally tasked with this overdoses. Otherwise a well written and enjoyable story.
The second story of Robby Burns I didn't enjoy. It seemed ra
Roger
Sep 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Really liked this hard-boiled crime book. I didn't realize that there were actually 2 books in this one volume, and there was no indication on the cover that there was a second book within. So when I abruptly came to the end (thinking I was only halfway through) I was surprised. Guess that's why you read books on devices!

Liked the characters and the dialogue. Especially the criminal with a heart, Spike. Fac' is....
Daniel Sevitt
Apr 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Thoroughly unnecessary twofer, bundling a couple of unconnected books together that McDonald originally published in the 80s. Weirdly they both feature 8 year old boys being kidnapped. As usual it's the author's wit and chutzpah that sell these books which are as silly as anything of his I've read. Good for a lockdown read, but not much good for anything else.
Kal
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Okay weird one as this is two different books in one volume. This score is for the first of the two. I’ll see if I can log it in again to score the second book.
This first one is a totally entertaining comedy thriller set in the 80s. Reads very much like a Carl Hiaasan. Which is obviously a good thing.
Sam
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The First Snatch
Stuart Lew
Feb 10, 2020 rated it liked it
First half is good. Second story is stylistically flawed.
Garrett Hamblin
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the book. It was the tale of two kidnappings set in the 70's. Both were 8 year old boys and both were kidnapped for political leverage. Pulp fiction in every sense of the term.
J
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fun little duo of novels about kidnapping that Mcdonald did before his Fletch books made him famous.
Dominic Hunt
Aug 30, 2019 rated it liked it
An easy read. Very deceptive cover.
Kate Stark
Jul 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Entertaining and kind of charming. Different from other books I've read by McDonald.
Gene
Aug 11, 2019
Robert James
Apr 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
I didn't like this very much. The typical McDonald humor was mostly missing and the first story wasn't very interesting.
Shane
Apr 17, 2017
Marc Taub
Apr 01, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Knife Slipped (Cool and Lam #1.5)
  • Thieves Fall Out (Hard Case Crime)
  • Brainquake (Hard Case Crime #116)
  • Sinner Man
  • Blackmailer (Hard Case Crime #32)
  • Mango Lucky (Mango Bob, #2)
  • The First Quarry (Quarry #8)
  • Jericho Point (Evan Delaney, #3)
  • Killing Quarry
  • Green Girls
  • Palm Beach Blues (Charlie Crawford Palm Beach Mysteries #9)
  • Turn on the Heat ( hard Case Crime)
  • Native Tongue (Skink #2)
  • Money Shot (Angel Dare #1)
  • The Gutter and the Grave
  • Blood on the Mink (Hard Case Crime #106)
  • Dope