Start by marking “Space Battle Lunchtime Vol. 1: Lights, Camera, Snacktion” as Want to Read:
Space Battle Lunchtime Vol. 1: Lights, Camera, Snacktion

Space Battle Lunchtime Vol. 1: Lights, Camera, Snacktion

(Space Battle Lunchtime #1)

Collecting the first four issues of Natalie Riess's delectable series, SPACE BATTLE LUNCHTIME! Earth baker Peony gets the deal of a lifetime when she agrees to be a contestant on the Universe's hottest reality TV show, Space Battle Lunchtime! But that was before she knew that it shoots on location... on a spaceship... and her alien competitors don't play nice! Does Peony ...more
Published October 25th 2016 by Oni Press

To ask other readers questions about Space Battle Lunchtime Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Space Battle Lunchtime Vol. 1

Start your review of Space Battle Lunchtime Vol. 1: Lights, Camera, Snacktion
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: queer
Absolutely adorable. I really liked this one!
David Schaafsma
If one of the urchins in this house comes to me and sez, "Dad, you gotta read this," I read it. And did. And liked it. We have two young wannabe celebrity chefs in this house, so you can see why they might enjoy a series about an intergalactic chef competition featuring bookish (meaning: bespectacled and somewhat shy) Earth cupcake chef Peony and alien chefs Neptunia, Melonhead, Jacques, Owline, Meatabax and Cherisa. Extras include Space Food requests taken from Twitter. I like the artwork and ...more
[Shai] Bibliophage
Space Battle Lunchtime is a cute and entertaining comic series about Penny and her adventure competing to be the greatest chef in the galaxy. If you enjoy watching cooking show competitions on TV, there's no doubt that you will also enjoy reading the 1st volume of this comic series.

Thank you to Oni Press for sending me a free copy of this.

Emma
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was simply adorable! I love a good comic about cooking and this definitely was what I was looking for. Plus, it is set in space and there are a lot of different alien forms that we get to discover throughout the book. Peony, the main character, is the cutest and I loved all her creations/recipes.
Im surely going to read the second volume soon!
Tudor Vlad
This isnt something that I would normally read, but seeing as I got it as a freebie from the publisher as part of a newsletter, I had nothing to lose. The thing that caught me by surprise was that I had a lot of fun reading it. Not to say that I expected it to be bad, but I certainly did not expect to like it as much as I did. I started it, and without even knowing in half an hour I was done and craving for more.

The best way this graphic novel could be described is by using just 3 words:
Ana
My God, the absolute cuteness of this intergalactic cooking TV competition was undeniable. And the cliffhanger really got me...
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
🤷♀ I dunno, it was cute and fun but really not memorable and just... didn't do a lot for me? I hate giving "meh" reviews because it's so hard for me to rate. There's nothing wrong with it, but...

Sesana
Dec 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Exactly what I was hoping for: Iron Chef in Spaaaaaace! So much fun.
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
Nov 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
4.0 Stars
This is a super cute all-ages graphic novel that combines delicious cooking and science fiction with this fun alien reality tv show drama.
Rosemary Standeven
I really liked the story of this comic much more than the graphics. Earthgirl baker Petunia gets chosen to enter an intergalactic cooking contest, Greatest Chef in the Galaxy, competing against a weird array of aliens, with an even weirder array of foodstuffs. Will Petunias cupcakes get universal acclaim? Competition is fierce, and not all chefs play by the rules. Chefs that are eliminated from the contest seem to wind up (voluntarily?) in another competition: Cannibal Coliseum.
After the
Diz
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Imagine Iron Chef in space. That is the basic concept of this story. Peony, a baker from Earth, gets selected as a last minute replacement for a galactic cooking competition show. She's thrown into the competition without getting any instruction on how to use the equipment or any information about the ingredients (some of the ingredients are quite weird). Peony is a great character. She keeps a bright and positive outlook on what is going on even if she doesn't have any idea of what is ...more
Geoff
Oct 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Sweet, lightweight scifi comic about an intergalactic iron chef competition. Some nice absurd moments, and the character is a sweet mary sue, buy the plot was pretty conventional. Like a yummy sweet and buttery cheese Danish, but not enough for a full meal.

**Thanks to the artist, publisher, and NetGalley for a free copy in exchange for an honest review.
Maggie Gordon
O...M...G. I think I just died of adorable and I must have more of this series! Space Battle Lunchtime is a comic series aimed at younger readers about a woman who ends up competing on an alien competition cooking show. Simple set-up, hilarious payoff! Plus there's some lovely lady crushing going on :) This is a fantastic, colourful, funny, and heartfelt book that's just perfect for kids, teens, and adults alike. Seriously, where is volume 2?
Rod Brown
May 27, 2019 rated it liked it
I am not a foodie, but I keep coming across all these enjoyable LGBTQ graphic novels about cooking and baking (see also: Meal and Bloom). The food here is a bit yucky as the story is set in outer space and makes use of alien ingredients, but I'm enjoying the simple plot and engaging characters. Looking forward to volume two!

(More cooking fun can be found in Food Wars!, Vol. 1 and Delicious in Dungeon, Vol. 1.)
Romie
Well that was cute.

I really liked the art style, it's definitely something that made this read even more enjoyable.
I was expecting a bit more from this story tbh, like Peony has no problem competing in a space culinary competition, she didn't know some people lived in space but why not? I don't know, it was a bit too convenient for me.
The story is cool, but nothing much happened in 125 pages or so . . . so I don't know, I probably won't be continuing this series because I'm not that much
Bruna Miranda
Sep 20, 2020 rated it liked it
I love books and comics centered on cooking and food so I was excited to pick this up. I'd never read anything by the author but the artwork as well as the script were really interesting. I loved the concept of different cuisines and ingredients from different planets, the species and obviously the cooking competition scenario. I do wish it were a bit longer I get why it ended how it did and that'll continue in the next volumes but I think there could have been more details about the show or ...more
Skye Kilaen
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Skye by: Kate
Fun graphic novel duology with a queer girl main character, about an intergalactic high-stakes cooking competition reality show. I'd felt lukewarm about the pitch for this because I've never really watched cooking shows, but I'm so glad I got over myself and gave it a shot. Peony, a baker from Earth, gets picked to compete in an elimination-style cooking program. The competition is much more brutal and backstabbing than she'd imagined, threatening not only her dreams for the prize but her ...more
Raina
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Adorable, cute, great.

Both of my coworkers took this out to our schools in June 2017, so our kids want it pretty badly.
I agree with the people who say it would have been more satisfying to have a complete story (i.e. a complete competition) in this volume, rather than leaving things at such a big cliffhanger.

The variety of alien lifeforms reminded me of Zita the Spacegirl. There's very little character work - we get thrown right into the action. The fully saturated illustrations are great.
anna (½ of readsrainbow)
this is such cute shit !!!

i absolutely love all the alien designs, they are so much fun! i don't think there were two who looked alike & it's so cool to see, when we so often have to suffer aliens just looking like humans.

there are also hints of a sapphic relationship and i cannot wait to see how that develops!
Anniek
I'm living for middlegrade graphic novels! This is such a quick, light read, I really enjoyed it. It's so creative, and even if there isn't much depth to the story or the world building, it's very detailed and fun! However, I did think it could have been somewhat longer - I felt like the story was barely getting started when I finished this first volume.
Renay
This was super adorable. That cliffhanger, tho!!!!
Newly Wardell
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is so good. Such an original premise intergalactic cooking competition of space age proportions. Millyways makes an appearance. Can't wait to see what happens next. Cannibal Coliseum sounds intense!
Dov Zeller
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Meet the chefs in Space Battle Lunchtime!

Portland Oregon's Oni Press has recently published Natalie Riess's wonderfully fun cartoon sequential art reality show in book form--with some daring escapes, wild cupcakes, and a bit of queer romance.

You won't find too many surprises in terms of plot for this intergalactic adventure--there are decidedly good good guys with their crew of helpers, and bad guys muahaha who want to take over the world (of intergalactic TV cook-offs), a Han-Solo (meets cool
Elizabeth Mellen
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cute, and Im super into how each section started off like a tv episode with a recap. That cliffhanger 😅 Definitely wanting to read the next soon ...more
Helen
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a cute and quick read. The illustrations in this book were bright and just they way I like them. It ends on a cliffhanger and I want to know what will happen next. I do not think that I have ever been more edited to read the next volume in a graphic novel series.
Mehsi
Thanks to my boyfriend for buying/pre-ordering this book for me! Love you!

Get set, get ready, and BAKKKKKKE!

I do love cooking shows (especially if they have delightful little twists and turns, or fun announcers/hosts), so when I spotted this one a few months ago (the single volumes) I knew I had to have it. So I waited, and waited, until I finally saw that there would be a volume bundling the first few volumes together. My sweet boyfriend apparently secretly pre-ordered it for me, and it came in
Jenna
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Adorably illustrated and entertaining throughout. It's more an Iron Chef spinoff than anything with a screaming Gordon Ramsey, and thus much more pleasant. Fun characters that are easily distinguishable but I wish that each round had been dragged out longer so we did get to know them and were absorbed by the dramatic tension of the cooking battles. Having said that, great cliffhanger. For those who are vegetarian / vegan there are quite a few images of giant steaks being cooked that might make ...more
Kristen
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a freebie that I got when I subscribed to Diamond BookShelf, and what a freebie it is!!

I love the concept so much??? And also the art?? And I am in desperate need of Vol. 2????? They're really two halves of one story, by the look of things, so you may want to have the next book handy when you start this one.
Your enjoyment of this will prooobablyyyy be proportional to how much you enjoy watching Food Network stuff, which I do. A lot.
Also, I don't know that I would categorize this as
Christiane
Earthling Peony is given the chance to compete on Space Battle Lunchtime, a hit show broadcast all over the galaxy. Now if she can only figure out these alien ingredients and survive her back-stabbing fellow contestants! I really enjoyed everything about this: the dialogue, the artwork, the sweet relationship that starts to develop between Peony and a fellow contestant. I'll even forgive the cliffhanger ending, and yes, I'll pick up Vol. 2.

• Delicates (Sheets, #2)
  • Girl Haven
  • Le rêve de Sarah (Les soeurs Grémillet, #1)
  • Odessa
  • Séance Tea Party
  • Glitch
  • Snapdragon
  • The Avant-Guards, Vol. 2
  • Quincredible Vol. 1: Quest to Be the Best!
  • The Avant-Guards, Vol. 1
  • Kim Reaper Vol. 1: Grim Beginnings
  • Kim Reaper, Vol. 2: Vampire Island
  • My Riot

Space Battle Lunchtime (3 books)
  • Space Battle Lunchtime Vol. 2: A Recipe for Disaster