Start by marking “Some Kind of Magic” as Want to Read:
Some Kind of Magic

Some Kind of Magic

Biochemist Eden Sinclair has no idea that the scent she spritzed on herself before leaving the lab is designed to enhance pheromones. Or that the cute, grungy-looking guy she meets at a gig that evening is Adam Copeland. As in the Adam Copeland international rock god and object of lust for a million women. Make that a million and one. By the time she learns the truth, she ...more
Published January 31st 2017 by Kensington Publishing Corporation

To ask other readers questions about Some Kind of Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Some Kind of Magic

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
I always hate to give negative reviews to newbie authors, but I was really let down by Some Kind of Magic.

From the cover and description, I was expecting a fun chick-lit, contemporary romance cross-over. Some easy escapism and witty writing. From the glowing reviews, I was expecting something different from what we usual see. Alas, this book was same old, same old.

I'll start with the female MC. I'm SO sick and tired of insecure, judge-y, low self esteem female MCs. Though Eden is in a science fi
Stacee
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love the idea of a rock star love story and since we have friends in a band, I'm always curious to see how touring is portrayed.

I really liked Eden. She smart and doesn't hide it. I loved her devotion to Micah and her desire to play music coupled with the fear of it felt realistic. As for Adam, I don't even know where to start. He's adorable and I loved the chemistry between them.

The conflict was avoidable because of course it was all based on miscommunication and sometimes the lack of communi
Kelly
May 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to read an early copy of this novel. Mary Ann Marlowe has a gift for words and humor, and her characters come to life on the page. Not only is it sweet and sexy and fun, but Adam and Eden embody a rawness that makes them more real than fiction. He's a rock star we could all fall in love with. Can't wait for her next book!
May 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Legally, I'm supposed to tell you that I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. But in the interests of full disclosure, I was fortunate enough to be allowed to read it three times prior to publication, am having the paperback delivered to my home the day it's available, and requested this copy from Netgalley because I couldn't wait to read it again. Yes, it's that good.

Opening the first page and being reunited with Eden after more than a year away felt like being gr
Elly
May 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
I was so fortunate to read an advance copy of this book! The writing is smart, witty, steamy, and fun, but it's also satisfyingly emotional and real. I loved the quirky beginnings of their relationship (through her work as a biochemist, Eden ends up wearing a pheromone spray--the modern version of a love potion--and attracting a handsome stranger). Though the premise is fun, the conflict quickly deepened to more personal territory. Adam is beloved as a superstar, but very few people truly know h ...more
Ron
May 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was so much fun to read. It's witty, sexy, full of heart, and lets you live out that "bang the rock star" fantasy you know you have but will claim otherwise even though you shouldn't. I wish all books made me feel the way Some Kind of Magic made me feel.
Nancy
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a magical book - this is witty, fun, and a bit steamy. It was such fun that I read it in one sitting.

Eden is a biochemist who is employed by a company who does clinical research on sexual enhancement product or "boner research" which is the term that Eden and her coworkers use for it. One day, one of the scientists gives her a vial of a lovely perfume which is part of a pheromone research project. Eden puts some of the scent on when she goes to one of her brother's music gigs and there s
Summer Spence
May 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I had the great pleasure of reading this book pre-publication. Mary Ann Marlowe creates a magical debut full of heat and heart. I fell in love with Adam and Eden, both for their vulnerability and charm. The intriguing concept wrapped the whole read in a will-they-make-it tension that had me screaming for a HEA. I rooted for them the whole way! This book was truly music to my ears.
Susan
Dec 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pitch-wars
My little hard rock fangirl heart fell so hard for this book. Love the music focus and the swoony romance. Such a fun read.
Kellye
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm more of a mystery girl than a romance reader but Some Kind of Magic makes me realize why people love romance novels so dang much. It's such a great book. I loved getting to spend time eavesdropping on Eden and Adam's whirlwind romance that may or may not be the result of a chemically enhanced perfume.

The author does such an amazing job of taking a high-concept premise (not to mention the music industry) and making it feel so real. I wanted them to be together as if Eden was my bff from coll
Ginger at GReadsBooks.com
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star-reads
This was perfection, addicting, consuming, and so much FUN! Oh how I love these characters. Looking for something to grab your attention, make you laugh, swoon, and possibly sob? Well, my friends, this is the book. I read it in a day. I crave these kinds of stories.
K. Wolf
Nov 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Man, this book is so good. It's funny, it's brilliant, it's well-written. It hits all the right spots and is so stinkin' satisfying.
(This is a review of an ARC)
Jen Halligan
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fun and engaging, this was such a great read! I loved Eden and Adam, and seeing how their story unfolded. The music aspect felt like an added bonus; I wish I could actually hear them sing together.
Jenni Walsh
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 17scribes
This novel is the classic case of right thing at the right time. It's sexy at the right times. Romantic at the right times. Smart, witty, clever, serious, funny, sad, hopeful, honest, all at the right times, and the story gripped me from start to finish. The progression of the story felt natural and realistic, even when the premise is centered on the idea of a 'love potion' bringing Adam and Eden together. I enjoyed the touch of music and original lyrics, and I was excited to see there will be a ...more
Kaelan Rhywiol
*I received an ARC in return for an honest review

A retelling of Love Potion No9? Sign me up!

On top of one of my favorite movies of ever being retold in prose, with a few twists, I deeply enjoyed the well-rounded, fleshed-out and very real characters of this book.

It’s hard, sometimes, as an author, to do that. It takes a lot of work behind the scenes that the reader never sees and I’m thrilled that Ms. Marlowe did it because it made me adore her characters.

I’m not a sucker for ‘rock star romance’
Kari Lemor
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I just finished reading Some Kind of Magic by Mary Ann Marlowe and wow, this was so much better than I expected. There are quite a few rock star romance stories out there and I've read a few but typically they are so similar and only sightly enjoyable. It was written in first person, which isn't something I usually like. But it works here. So the book already had that working against it and it still managed to win me over.

The chemical reaction plot was humorous but also molded the rest of the s
Kelli Newby
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I had the great pleasure of getting an advance copy of this book. As many commenters have said, this is a smart, sexy, and fun read. Marlowe is a master of one-liners. What really makes this books rise above for me, though, are two things. The first is the authenticity of the backstage life of a musician. From tour buses to fan boards, Marlowe finds just the right details to make you feel like you've scored a VIP pass without ever falling into the trap of just plain showing off how well she know ...more
Jen Hawkins
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is fantastic on so many levels. It will speak to anyone who's ever had a crush on a rock star. While that part of the story is the vicarious-living wish-fulfillment hook, the characters are incredibly and refreshingly real. They're complex and flawed (sometimes insecure and quick to jump to conclusions), just like real people. That's where the magic of this book lives for me--in the scary uncertainty of what it means to really love someone, imperfections and all.

Marlowe skillfully jugg
Megan
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was exactly what I needed to read after a rough week. It’s transportive, funny, smart, and emotional. I loved it!
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
I don't really have a lot to say about this one other than it started out super cute (and was most of the way through) and when shit hit the fan, I was going crazy with so many emotions. But then the end was so anti climactic I got super depressed.

Also just FYI because the title is misleading- there is no magic in this book. I was sad.

Spoilers below (tagged)

(view spoiler)
Karen Whittard
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loved this book. It is full of magic, romance, sparkle, laughter, happiness and a happy ever after. Absolutely everything that you want in a good book.

Wonderful.

Happy reading everyone
Sandi Ward
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Reading Some Kind of Magic is the literary equivalent of consuming a big chocolate cupcake with loads of buttercream frosting—it goes down easy! I enjoyed reading this book late into the night over my holiday break. The story combines romance with a behind-the-scenes exploration of today’s celebrity culture, a critique of commercial pop music, and a look at what it takes to “make it” as a career musician.

The romance between Eden (a biochemist) and Adam (a rock star!) is fun and steamy, but what
G.L. Jackson
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Those of us who write rock & roll romances know there's a certain beat you have to meet to keep readers entertained and interested. Unsurprisingly, it's a lyrical and flowing pace, and I'm so happy to say this book meets the mark. An earnest, honest musician? A discriminating, snarky scientist? A family connection to the music biz? All those items get checked off in this lovely debut book from a talented and accessible writer.

My favorite thing about Some Kind of Magic has to be the writing.
Carrie
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I loved it! These character snuck up on me and found a place in my heart. I had tears in my eyes for them when they cried but a big smile on my face by the end. Some Kind of Magic was a fabulous debut. Excited to hear that Micah gets his turn in the spotlight next.
Michael Mammay
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm not a big romance reader, so I can't really tell you how this fits into the genre or anything like that. What I do know is that it's really good. I just knocked out the last hundred pages or so even though I was supposed to be doing something else. Just didn't want to put it down.

It's funny in that way where sometimes you laugh out loud, but even when you aren't laughing, you just smile the whole way through. The characters are really well rounded and you are going to find yourself rooting
Lauren
Dec 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I rarely finish a book all in one day, but I could not stop reading this one. I'm always a sucker for rockstar romances and this was a great one! Fast read with a super swoony romance, and a quick but believable connection between the couple. I could completely understand why Eden and Adam were drawn to each other - beyond the "magic" perfume. The story wasn't overly angsty though Eden and Adam each had to overcome their their own insecurities and figure out how to make it work between them. Esp ...more
Kristin Rockaway
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is an incredibly fun and sexy read! For anyone who's ever dreamed about what it's like to date a rock star -- or be a rock star -- this book is for you. Can't wait to read the sequel!
J. R.
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was such a fun and hot read. The chemistry (pun intended) between Adam and Eden was electric. The writing was seamless and the story so well crafted. Can't wait for the next one!
Elle's Book Blog
Dec 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Release Date: January 31, 2017
Genre: Chick Lit and Women's Fiction

Some Kind of Magic by Mary Ann Marlowe is a unique and magical story about two total opposites who may just end up falling in love with eachother...

This is a really fun and sweet story and I had a good time reading it. So much that I actually read the entire book in one sitting because I simply couldn't get enough! The author does a fantastic job with this book and I felt very connected to the characters. It also reminded me
Dani (Dani Reviews Things & Love in a time of Feminism)
Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an unbiased review.

I knew I was going to like this one, but I didn't realise I would like it as much as I did! What a pleasant surprise!

I liked both Eden and Adam from the start. Eden was relatable in so many ways, from her interest in biology and genetics (YAY STEM) to her desire to find a guy with a stable job (but, ya know, that goes out the window fairly quickly). I loved Adam and how down-to-Earth he was (now). Their chemistry
  • America's Next Reality Star (Reality Star, #1)
  • Hollywood Homicide (Detective by Day #1)
  • Touching Fate (The Fated, #1)
  • Hold Me Close (The O'Learys, #6)
  • The Best of Me (Return to Briarwood, #2)
  • Coach Maddie and the Marine
  • Moonlight & Whiskey
  • Just a Number
  • Wanton Heat (Hot Island Nights Book 2)
  • The Heat Is On (The Boys of Summer, #4)
  • Learning the Ropes (Rodeo #3)
  • Perfect for You
  • Starting Over (Nugget, #4)
  • Life on the Level (On the Verge #3)
  • My Lady Faye (Sir Arthur's Legacy, #2)
  • Machinations (Machinations, #1)
  • Blind Mercy (Blind, #2)
  • Chasing Crazy
“And I'll tell you a secret. We're all afraid of failing. We're all scared of adventure.” 0 likes