Start by marking “Is it evil not to be sure?” as Want to Read:
Is it evil not to be sure?

Is it evil not to be sure?

Is it evil not to be sure? is a collection of entries from Lena Dunham's diary--or what she called her "Creative Snippets and Observations Journal"--from the fall of 2005 and the spring of 2006. It is a candid, chaotic, and occasionally poetic snapshot of a young person becoming an adult.

Profits from the sales of Is it evil not to be sure? are going to Girls Write Now to
Published May 12th 2016 by Lenny

Start your review of Is it evil not to be sure?
Trish
Mar 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Lena Dunham is still the woman you met in the first season of Girls. These journal entries were made in 2006 when she was in college at Oberlin in Ohio. Many times the entries are not even complete sentences; they are mostly markers for absurd situations or behaviors. All that Lena Dunham is now is evident in those sentence fragments: her lacerating humor, her lack of modesty, her clear intelligence, and her fierce refusal to put makeup on the human condition.

She is offering these fragments to
Kate Bigam Kaput
Shelves: memoirs
I know I'm supposed to hate Lena Dunham, but I just... don't. Her writing sounds like my writing; her brain looks like my brain; she feels familiar in a way that makes me say, "Oh, you, too? Thank goodness." This "book" is a cop-out, though, a collection of entries from Dunham's journal from the fall of 2005 to the spring of 2006. I enjoyed the peek into her mind, but it seems ridiculously self-important to publish something like this & call it a book. Each entry - sometimes mere snippets ...more
Richard
Jun 17, 2016 rated it liked it
As a rodent, I don't get around much. I hate advertising and actually most "modournalism". My rock is my castle. So it won't surprise anyone to know that until about six weeks ago, I had never heard of Lena Dunham.

Recently, I got HBO so I could watch this season of "Game of Thrones" in neither a pirated version nor a year after release, but while it's actually being "aired". Ooh! Honestly, I'm not here to talk about that.

One side-effect of getting a free introductory month of HBO is there's lots
Olivera
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018, non-fiction
2.5

Did this have to be published? No.
Was it still relatable at times? Yes.
Do I feel like rewatching Girls now? Obviously.
Allison
May 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
I like that this book donates proceeds to a good cause, but the book, if we can even call it that, is a little unnecessary. It's sad to say that, because I love all things Dunham. Not that Kind of Girl is a dream and super important for our time. But this needed to be a lot more. I don't love that it's presented as an unedited piece of work and the author's journals, and that is suppose to make all the typeos and errors ok. It would've taken two seconds to remedy a lot of it. Some cool ideas and ...more
Taylor Church
May 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
In other reviews I see saddened fans lamenting how short this book is. Sure, I would have liked it to be longer, but it was advertised by the author as nothing more than a chapbook or zine. It's not even available in print save it be for the limited signed collector's editions (which I wish I could get my paws on).

But all in all this was a hilarious little micro-read. I think the introduction is probably the most important, and I couldn't agree more with her message and admonition to have young
Sofie
Sep 13, 2017 rated it did not like it
Ik mag Lena Dunham ('Girls') wel maar dit boekje is overbodig. I should have known better.
Elizabeth
Aug 01, 2017 rated it did not like it
I'm a huge Lena Dunham fan and loved Not That Kind of Girl, but I'm not really sure why this is a book. It's a series of random quotes from her diary.
Leah
Jul 31, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2016
This book should offer validation for anyone who has insecurities about publishing a novel someday.
Gabby Granada
Jan 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
There's a difference between writing to write and writing to publish. Amazingly, Lena Dunham not only crosses that line, she sprints (okay, lightly jogs) past it, pen in hand, soft pretzel in the other, and per usual, head held just little too high.

"Is it evil not to be sure?" is a short collection of observations, one-liners, and strange encounters Dunham chronicled during her time at college when she was nineteen. In HBO GIRLS fashion, most snippets are about strange sexual experiences and
Megan
Aug 07, 2017 rated it did not like it
I'm not super pro-Lena Dunham, nor am I anti- like so many people seem to be... I enjoyed her first book and think she's sharp and witty, and therefore took a chance on this one... it's quite literally a stream of conscious journal of daily observations with pretty much zero context. Maybe I'm missing something here--I only managed to finish it because I don't like leaving books unfinished, but I would definitely not recommend it. Felt like a waste of time.
Garan
May 17, 2016 rated it liked it
A brief look into the mind of an almost human.

Lena Dunham's "Is it evil not be sure?" is a very quick dive into the psyche of her former self. The book, which is actually just her diary from the years 2005 and 2006, offers up poignant little insights into what her very specific life was like at age 19. Her first sexual experiences, the life of her grandmother as it ended, and the details of somewhat destructive relationship all play out one sentence at a time. We never get much specific
Julia Shaw
May 18, 2017 rated it did not like it
Not sure what to make of this random collection of musings from 2005-2006, mostly one-line descriptions and brief reflections about sex. Some nice sentences, but why did this need to be published? I suppose it's interesting for those as fascinated with the mind of Lena Dunham as she is herself, but not a whole lot here if I'm honest. Now that I see she's donating the proceeds to charity I feel better about it, but still feel I've wasted my time.
Kafilah Muhammad
May 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Short read. Composition of Dunham's diary entries enable one to understand how she developed as a writer. Chopped up in zine like way, it felt like pricking a cactus at times.
Michael
May 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
I am a not so secret Lena Dunham fan. I've seen all of Girls and really admire the authenticity that she brings to her writing and performances. She puts it all out there, and is not embarassed to expose her own flaws in the name of creating honest and innovative expression.

This book however, is kind of a half-assed effort to repurpose her diary. It's funny because I just finished David Sedaris' similar effort to repurpose his diary. Both I listened to on audible, so the voice performance and
Nikki Michaels
Mar 14, 2017 rated it liked it
I never quite know how to rate or review compilations or anthologies like this. Probably all I can really say is that IS IT EVIL NOT TO BE SURE? is certainly very Lena Dunham, and a few of these little snippets are straight-up brilliant. Most of them are forgettable filler, but certain ones sort of slap you in the face in a good way.
Aysenur
Jul 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
I decided to read the book in hopes of finding a voice similar to that of HBO's Girls. What I found was incoherent ramblings almost all of which were pointlessly sad and disturbing. Dunham's blatant exhibitionism takes an emotional turn here. But much like what Alice's mother said in Welcome to Me: "Not everyone is an emotional exhibitionist."
Lotte M.
May 11, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kvindeliv
All the way through the book I pictured scenes from Girls. That's what kept this book together for me. Because many elements are fun or awkward in the familiar - and much appreciated - Dunham way. But as a book on it's own it was unfortunately a disappointment.
Readfeelandcherish
Nov 06, 2018 rated it did not like it
Not worth the read.. Also very triggering.
Pippa
Jan 26, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This didn’t have a point at all. It were some incoherent sentences without a overall structure.
Lennon Young
Nov 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Quick, quirky, with a few good seeds that have the potential to grow tossed in. Definitely very college.
Fabricio Martin
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Random thoughts that exemplify Lena's mind. Relatable and funny only as she can be.
Fabrianna
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you're a Lena Dunham or Girls (HBO Series) fan, you'll likely enjoy these snippets. The voice & humor are very Hannah-esque at times.
Amanda
May 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-books
If you don't like Lena Dunham, you won't like this book. If you're impartial to Lena Dunham, you may or may not like this book.

It reads like a dash of Tumblr text posts. Lots of short sentences that want to be poetic and sometimes fall short and sometimes are a little thought provoking (stand-outs include:

"But you may also find, as I did, that the sentences might become the planks that form a raft that drags you ashore, wet and gasping on a welcome beach",

"His hand on my knee should be
Lindsay Heller
May 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, nonfiction
So, this was super short and sort of a strange concept to publish. BUT, it was put out to support the program Girls Write Now, which helps to connect aspiring female writers with mentors. This book's purpose was to raise money and from what I can tell it's succeeded. I didn't get a pretty pink hard copy, but I certainly don't regret the $2.99 I forked over for the digital edition.

This is really a collection of Lena Dunham's observations, written down in college to maybe use later. You know,
Denise
Aug 14, 2016 rated it liked it
**Not a PopSugar Challenge Book**

3/5

I was excited to purchase this given the direct relation to the fantastic Girls Write NOW program. I wasn't expecting much -- I think Lena is a brilliant human and a great writer, but I think her self consciousness sometimes gets in the way of the bigger picture (hence my lukewarm feelings for "Not That Kind of Girl." However, this was eye-opening and pleasantly surprising. A fascinating look at the blooming of a great talent, with tons of small snippets that
Evie
May 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
Extremely simple concept, which translates awkwardly on paper. I enjoyed the introduction, and her reflective piece on the reasoning why past-Lena felt compelled to document Tweet-sized soundbites of arbitrary information. The problem lies just within that: it's simply a Noughties attempt of a Twitter page, without really understanding the concept. As a white girl in her twenties, who has benefited from this privilege, I found myself identifying with Dunham's musings. I understand why people ...more
Penny
May 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is an excerpt of Lean's journal of thoughts from college days. It is a pre-twitter jotting of ideas and thoughts that one has throughout the day. I find that I like getting these thoughts out as well. When they are out they are no longer lingering inside. I am in the public school system so I am unable to properly have a twitter. I decided to start a "Thoughts" journal myself. I find that it keeps me more positive and going back reading things makes me look at situations more objectively.
I
Morgan Pries
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Scored a signed copy of this and it is now one of my most prized possessions. Love the concept and love Lena Dunham.
Trisha Sales
May 23, 2016 rated it liked it
I really loved the introduction or preface that it got me hyped up about the content, and sadly, it didn't live up to my expectations. There were a few entries that made me laugh, some I even highlighted, but overall, it was just okay. I admire Lena Dunham and I am glad that the proceeds of this mini book or "zine" benefits a good cause. The first edition print is sold out but you can get the ebook in Amazon, Kobo or Barnes & Noble for $2.99.

• Den, der lever stille
  • Poetry from the "Young, Misguided, Weak" Urban Mind
  • Just For Free
  • Parsnips in Love
  • Hacks: The Inside Story of the Break-ins and Breakdowns that Put Donald Trump in the White House
  • Eat the Document
  • The Waiter’s Wife
  • Summer House with Swimming Pool
  • The Line of Beauty
  • The Future
  • 206 Bones (Temperance Brennan, #12)
Lena Dunham is an American filmmaker and actress. She wrote and directed the independent film Tiny Furniture (2010), and is the creator and star of the HBO series Girls. In 2013, Dunham was named one of Time's most influential people in the world.

On October 8, 2012, Dunham signed a $3.5 million deal with Random House to publish her first book, an essay collection called Not That Kind of Girl: A
“After all, if a girl whines in her walk-in closet and no one’s there to hear her, did she really whine at all? Something” 0 likes
“It always feels like im sitting in a waiting room with guys, a boring waiting room, I’ve always read all the magazines.” 0 likes