Start by marking “Jobs to Be Done: A Roadmap for Customer-Centered Innovation” as Want to Read:
Jobs to Be Done: A Roadmap for Customer-Centered Innovation

Jobs to Be Done: A Roadmap for Customer-Centered Innovation

In a challenging economy filled with nimble competitors, no one can afford to stagnate. Yet innovation is notoriously difficult. Only one in 100 new products is successful enough to cover development costs, and even fewer impact a company's growth trajectory. So how do you pinpoint the winning ideas that customers will love?

Sifting through purchasing data for clues about
Published November 15th 2016 by AMACOM

To ask other readers questions about Jobs to Be Done, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jobs to Be Done

Start your review of Jobs to Be Done: A Roadmap for Customer-Centered Innovation
Leah Nadeau
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
(1.5/5 stars) This book wasn't what I was expecting lol I thought it was going to push me to get more organized and productive but it just made me think about business processes and customer centric ideations lol

I think it's also important to mention that this book is only good for it's time. It provides many real life examples that 10 years from now people would not relate to. Like how Uber has a variety of Uber services like Uber X etc.

It's a good book if you are in Customer Insights and
Austin
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a succinct book on the jobs-to-be-done theory as a market research and business planning methodology. It first grounds the reader in the theory and its history, and is then broken out into the following sections:

PART I: UNDERSTANDING JOBS TO BE DONE:

Pascal Wagner
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Pascal by: Zach Nies
—-Summary—-
I was hoping to get a lot more out of this book but if you’ve been in business for a while, it shares information that you likely intuitively know. I think this would be a much better book to read if you were starting your first company.

---Notes---
The Jobs to be Done framework succeeds because it focuses innovation on the right questions rather than having them jump directly into devising solutions. But it is actually the framing of problems that often leads to breakthrough ideas.
Doug McColgin
Mar 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
It's not often that I can't finish a book, but this one could not hold my attention. Perhaps its a matter of mismatched expectations rather than quality, but I simply didn't find value in it.

Having recently finished Competing Against Luck , I was looking for an alternative or complementary perspective on the Jobs To Be Done framework. Instead, this book presents a thoroughly complex pseudo-process that feels like a consultant's "How We Work" deck. Might be perfect for someone who wants to work
Jon Nguyen
Bad

This is not a good book if you’re trying to learn about JTBD. I’ve been reading through anything I can to learn more about it, but I found this book particularly bad. It talks about JTBD, but there isn’t a lot of rigor to it, and a lot of the book is just a mishmash of other business/marketing/product development recommendations rather than something specific about JTBD methodology. It’s also very superficial, and they do the annoying thing of pulling out historical examples of successful
Eli Fisher
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Job's to Be Done is an interesting read. I suggest it to anyone wanting to build a customer-centric product.

The book discusses the Jobs Atlas. This atlas is designed to help a business identify how to provide solutions that enable customers to solve their every day tasks (aka their jobs), while also ensuring these solutions align with the business's goals. The Jobs Atlas is broken into 3 sections.

Know Where You Are Starting From: Understand the jobs customers are trying to accomplish, both
Darren
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Products and services fail regularly to meet customer expectations but what is going wrong? Companies are asking customers what they want and blindly seek to deliver it; yet not so many seem to analyse what they may need and work from that data point.

This is the central argument expressed by the authors, who believe that people purchase products and services to solve a specific problem or need. If a company can focus on the “jobs to be done” by a product or service for a customer, their
Shannon Clark
Sep 17, 2019 rated it liked it
The core ideas are good and useful and colleagues swear by this book and approach. However I found a lot of the book simplistic in places and having surprising gaps in the approach. Furthermore even though one of the co-authors is a woman I found a lot of the book frustratedly built upon what I see as old fashioned examples that defaulted to gender stereotypes. Also it has a whole chapter on the value of diverse perspectives that somehow manages not to talk about either gender or racial ...more
Noushin Jedi
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
"Making a ‘better’ product is the easy part of innovation. The hard part is ensuring that your new product is better for the right people in the right ways.”

"Much like the problem of adding too many features, attempting to satisfy too many jobs leaves you with a complicated, expensive, one-size-fits-none product.”

"If I had an hour to solve a problem, I’d spend 55 minutes thinking about the problem and five minutes thinking about solutions.” (Albert Einstein)

Melih
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
The book presents itself as a practical guide do instituting Jobs to be Done theory in a corporation, but spends its entirety at the 45k foot level.

There’s clearly a ton of experience in the authors, but whether they’re under NDA or just not getting into the details - it’s shared only at an abstract, theoretical level.

Bummer
Matthew
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
A short and useful book based on the "Jobs to Be Done" mental model created by Clayton Christensen.

If you have a product that isn't gaining traction the way you hoped or if you're trying to develop a product to better serve a market, you need a solid framework for gut-checking your produt/solution. This is the most straightforward I've found.
Abhi Yerra
Aug 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Using a methodology of approaching innovation in terms of not Problem-Solution but as a Job that Needs to Be Done. Most of the time this methodology doesn’t even have a to be tangible as an emotional job is just as important. Overall a short and quick book to read but still seems to be a rephrasing of existing books like Blue Ocean Strategy. Still a good refresher.
Marjolein Van Der Aar
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Useful approach for innovation, that fits well with other approaches such as business model canvas and lean startup. The last chapters are too much bragging about their own success stories, making it lose credibility somehow. It would have been nice to instead hear more about how they refined the method also by sharing failures/risks of the method.
Kevin Jarvis
Oct 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Some important messages here and a useful overall framework for how to approach a market from a “jobs” perspective, but it’s a little bit surface level and I would like to have seen a lot more practical guidance.
Cameron J
Jan 16, 2020 rated it liked it
It's a general guide to someone that has heard about this method of understanding user wants and wants to learn more about it at a high level. For a product leader, product manager or business leader, there are more complete and in-depth books on this topic.
Bruno
Simple, clear, actionable guide to customer centric innovation

Clear set of principles explained in a simple way. Gives a good foundations to move foraged and implement customer centric innovation at small and larger scale organizations
Joel Davis
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
After reading the summary and reviews, I was expecting the book to provide more prescriptive guidance on a JTBD framework. While the content was a good overview of JTBD, it didn't actually provide any useful information on how to do any of the steps at a level that I found useful.
Henrik Berglund Berglund
Nice hands on description of Wunkers approach to this important topic.
Vidit Bhargava
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Offers some great insights. And while it may be more of a ‘new perspective to look at things’ it does bring a lot of discipline to what can be really broad processes.
Jinder
Jul 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Expected a lot more from this book. Didn't really go deep enough and acted more as an introduction/theory based book.
Tamler
May 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Fine breakdown of how to think of products...
Martha
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great refreshing approach to customer innovation.
Neilp
Jan 11, 2018 rated it liked it
This book covers the end-to-end innovation process pretty well (albeit simplistically) but was a bit lightweight when itcomes to jtbd. I'd recommend the Ulwick book as an alternative
Billy D
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
This really focuses on the entire product ideation process and some solid tools and frameworks to help. There are better books to dive into JTBD.
Charles Greathouse
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great perspective. Balanced approach of examples and theory. Simple concept. Difficult execution.
Alejandro Gonzalez
Great summary of Jobs to be done

A nice romantic way to learn about jobs to be done but it lacks a lot of the how to do it yourself. In order to understand and practice it you need to read other books and try all these theory in real life.
Jennifer Hogan
This book’s OK. It felt like a missed opportunity, though, to expand on the Jobs to Be Done framework. While the book covers a lot, it doesn’t actually go deep on anything. Even the case studies felt light and left me wanting to know more.

If you’re interested in the Jobs to Be Done framework, I recommend you skip this book and check out various blog posts or watch one of Clayton Christensen’s lectures on Youtube instead.
Arvind Shastry
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jobs to be done is a different approach towards product design. This aspect is well explained in the first half of the book. These principles are very relevant for next generation product companies. The second half of the book is about translating these principles into action. Wish the book had done a more thorough job in referencing the new companies and detailing more examples here
Ben
Apr 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This felt more like a collection of articles (some good, some ok, some meh) with nothing to hold them together.
Fernando Javier Castillo
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It is a must read if you're in the marketing field and want to change your perspective on how the marketing needs to be managed, also works people in innovation and you're thinking on launching a product.

• Competing Against Luck
  • Jobs to be Done: Theory to Practice
  • This Is Service Design Doing: Applying Service Design Thinking in the Real World
  • Value Proposition Design: How to Create Products and Services Customers Want
  • Radical Focus: Achieving Your Most Important Goals with Objectives and Key Results
  • Change by Design: How Design Thinking Transforms Organizations and Inspires Innovation
  • You Look Like a Thing and I Love You: How Artificial Intelligence Works and Why It's Making the World a Weirder Place
  • Platform Revolution: How Networked Markets Are Transforming the Economy--and How to Make Them Work for You
  • It Doesn't Have to Be Crazy at Work
  • Indistractable: How to Control Your Attention and Choose Your Life
  • Cracking the PM Interview: How to Land a Product Manager Job in Technology
  • The Lean Product Playbook: How to Innovate with Minimum Viable Products and Rapid Customer Feedback
  • Product Management in Practice: A Real-World Guide to the Key Connective Role of the 21st Century
  • Designing for the Digital Age: How to Create Human-Centered Products and Services
  • Inspired: How to Create Tech Products Customers Love
  • Symbols, Signs and Signets
  • Diaspora: Hard Science-Fiction Role-Playing with Fate
  • A Gamut of Games
STEPHEN WUNKER worked with Christensen for years, led development of one of the first smartphones, and now runs New Markets Advisors. He has written for ,Forbes, Harvard Business Review, and The Financial Times.
“Once you understand what jobs people are striving to do, it becomes easier to predict what products or services they will take up and which will fall flat. While” 0 likes