Start by marking “With Blood Upon the Sand (The Song of the Shattered Sands #2)” as Want to Read:
With Blood Upon the Sand (The Song of the Shattered Sands #2)

With Blood Upon the Sand (The Song of the Shattered Sands #2)

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  1,469 Ratings  ·  138 Reviews
Çeda, now a Blade Maiden in service to the kings of Sharakhai, trains as one of their elite warriors, gleaning secrets even as they send her on covert missions to further their rule. She knows the dark history of the asirim—that hundreds of years ago they were enslaved to the kings against their will—but when she bonds with them as a Maiden, chaining them to her, she feels ...more
Published February 7th 2017 by Daw Books

To ask other readers questions about With Blood Upon the Sand, please sign up.
Bradley Absolutely! Emre remains an important part of this tale.

Bradley
Oct 19, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Please like this review. I'll be using it for various updates as the book heads toward release and beyond!

Feb 7th, 2017 - Release day! Thank you for all your support, everyone! I've been overwhelmed with all the well wishes and the response to the book so far.

If I might ask a favor, if you review (or have already reviewed) the book here, please copy the review to even one other site (Amazon, B&N, Kobo, etc.). It raises the profile of the book and helps the launch immensely.

Onward!

Jan 31st, 2
Scott  Hitchcock
Book 1: 3*
Book 2: 3*

Same complaints as book one. The pacing at times it's brutally slow to the point that when you turn a page and see only a couple of long paragraphs you're tempted to glance over them because you know it's a verbose slog that could be summed up much faster.

The overall story and characters are good. The world which is what the writer loves the most is very developed, again ad nauseum at times. If you love vivid depictions of the environment you'll love this book. I wish the au
Daniel
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ovo je najbolja vrsta nastavka, sve je vece, neke misterije su resene ali nove dobijaju na snazi. Upoznajemo par novih likova ali se broj igraca zadrzava na relativno skromnom nivou za knjigu ovih razmera.

Sem toga nemam nekih komentara, knjiga je na nivou prethodnika i po stilu pisanja, i po tempu, i po kvalitetu tako da kome se svideo ovaj svet ima da uziva.

Jedini minus je ociti klifhenger na kraju. Jasno je da prica ide dalje ali ovako imam osecaj ko da je knjiga presecena poglavlje do dva ran
Mayim de Vries

5. When Jackals Storm the Walls RTC
6. A Desert Torn Asunder RTC
Kaitlin
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
* I was sent this book for free from the publisher in exchange for a review *

This is book two in the Song of the Shattered Sands series by Bradley Beaulieu and it's one I have been eagerly anticipating for quite a while I loved book one in this series, Twelve Kings, and I was super happy when I got to meet the author a few times at events and tell him just how much I had enjoyed seeing a strong, wonderful and unique world within fantasy, and a delightful and fierce female lead.

In this world we
Karina Read
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great continuation from Twelve Kings. I liked that there was no information dump/rehashing of what has happened thus far which is usually the case with sequels. The writing was great, the plot moved along with many twists and turns and i still love all the characters. I am really enjoying this series and at the moment, i just don’t want it to end. I will now read the two novellas in prep for the third instalment which, thankfully, comes out next month 😄
Connor
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: epic-fantasy
Kristen
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks
Full review is here, on my blog.

Oh Çeda. I missed you! But… and I feel a little bad for this, I missed Emre more (<3). But they’re back, and are both in pretty deep with their respective factions. Things are really starting to come to light in this volume, especially regarding the various magics and magical beings of this world. Blood mages are described in more detail here, as are the asirim, the kings, and the gods of this world.

I’m not going to spoil this one for you, and I’m even trying
Lisa
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Review from Tenacious Reader: http://www.tenaciousreader.com/2017/0...

The Shattered Sands trilogy was by far one of my favorite finds of last year. With Blood Upon the Sand continues to deepen the intrigue and entanglements, and displays the harsh desert environment is not the only thing to fear in Sharakhai. It will also take your emotions and bend them to its will, ripping them through fear to excitement, from horror to triumph (or maybe triumph to horror), from sorrow to jealousy, hope, betra
Stefan Bach
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Best fantasy book in 2017?

„Had he worried? Had he feared? It seemed not. The very notion felt like an insect boring its way deeper beneath the skin. It enraged him.
On he ran, the urge to feed building. But the memories began to fade, to darken. The shrieking wind, so loud only moments ago, dwindled, until all that could be heard was sand falling to the desert floor, a sound like rain against the river.“

U godini u kojoj se željno iščekuju nastavci serijala Brendona Sandersona, (možda) Džo
Althea Ann
May 07, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the first book, "Twelve Kings in Sharakhai," so was eager to pick up this sequel. In 'Twelve Kings' we met Çeda, accomplished swordswoman, who makes it her secret mission to destroy the dozen immortal Kings who rule the city of Sharakhai with a heavy hand. In the first book, she manages to kill one of the twelve...

In 'With Blood Upon The Sand' we continue where we left off. Çeda has achieved the elite position of Blade Maiden, and is conspiring from within the system for her hoped over
Femke
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely his best work yet. Looking forward to the next book.
GrilledCheeseSamurai
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: series, fantasy, epic
There are so many badass moments in this book that must have been so much fun for the author to write -- I imagine him sitting in front of a keyboard laughing maniacally and typing away as he guzzles coffee by the gallon to help keep him going.

The book legit had me on the edge of my seat 90% of the time. If I wasn't freaking out over the risk of our main character, Çeda, getting caught by the people she was spying on, I was whooping and hollering over all the incredibly well done choreographed
Rossana
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I liked the first one, I gave it 4 stars, but this one was WAY better.
Amazing from start to finish (except maybe Davud's story, which I really didn't care of).
Dezideriu Szabo
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Better than the first book and I loved "Twelve Kings in Sharakhai. With this novel "The Song of the Shattered Sands" is becoming one of the best fantasy series from the last years.
Rebecca
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars

No sophomore slump here! With Blood Upon the Sand was a fantastic follow up to the very impressive and enchanting Twelve Kings of Sharakhai, which I read earlier this year. I’ve actually had this book hanging around for about 4-5 months now and I just hadn’t had the time to dedicate to this 700 page beast. An accidental purchase of extra Audible credits (woops) led me to pick up the audio version of this book so I could catch up in time for the 2018 release of book 3. I’m very glad thin
Kelly
My review of this one went up on B&N earlier this week!: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog/sc...
Kdawg91
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Song of the Shattered Sands is currently one of my favorite series. I have let it be well known that I am a world building junkie and the city of Sharakhai and surrounding area is a living, breathing thing and I revel in it. Beautiful writing, a deep and exciting story and characters you CARE about.

I can't say enough good things about this series or this book, you guys know I don't review things I don't like and I am FAR from an objective reviewer.

Throw this man your money, do yourself a fa
Aoife
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book from the author/publishers in exchange for an honest review.

In this book Ceda, our protagonist, is continuing her mission to undercover ways of killing the corrupt, powerful and seemingly immortal 12 Kings of Sharkahai. She continues her journey training with the Blood Maidens, while getting closer to the kings and figuring out their weakness.

I enjoyed this book just as much, if not more, as the first in the trilogy. I was able to jump straight back into the world
Aristea
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The best part of this series, by far, is the mystery and the intrigue of the world that is slowly unveiled in a strategic way and at a perfect pace.
Certainly the best feature by far which is not an easy task to accomplish by any means.

I am also in love with the description of the scenes, locations and combat. It is extremely vivid.

The only aspect that bugs me really is Ceda. Her decisions often make me roll my eyes; the dramatization of her life (which is not easy by any means) is just over 9
Mark
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
And so to one of my most eagerly awaited sequels of recent years. Blood Upon the Sands (aka With Blood Upon the Sand in the US) is the sequel to Twelve Kings (aka Twelve Kings in Sharakhai), one of my Best Fantasy novels in 2015.

And with such a title, so reminiscent of the Weird Tales pulps of the 1930’s and 40’s, you know it’s going to be messy, right?

The book starts at a cracking pace, and this is evident even from the first few pages when there is an assassination attempt made upon a group of
SAM
Jonathan Terrington
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
With Blood Upon the Sand continues to develop the fantasy setting of Sharakhai and its surrounding world. Sharakhai is a mystical and magical city that dominates the sands, yet is a source of conflict and history in the world. The twelve kings who rule it are each responsible for a different aspect of this world. Their responsibilities ranging from managing the cursed zombie-esque creatures who roam the desert, to keeping an eye upon the future. Here, in With Blood Upon the Sand, Çeda trains und ...more
Mark Harrison
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is excellent. Ceda, now in the Maidens guarding the 12 kings, plots to bring them down for killing her mother and wiping out the 13th tribe she was once part of. The saga is very expansive with dozens of great characters. Best read soon after the first book and in long bursts - dipping in and did not work for me given the number of subplots. Really interesting story, superb world building and the magic is clever - but requires thought. Not the easiest read but thoroughly engrossing. Looking ...more
Sana
Oh man, a true high fantasy with such a large set of characters and an expansive plot with so much going on at all times. It was great to see it all come together, though and I enjoyed every bit of it.
Lianne Pheno

Un bon second tome, l'intrigue était plus claire et il y avait moins de lenteurs que dans le premier. J'ai aussi bien apprécié l'évolution des personnages.

On reprend l'histoire la ou on l'avait arrêté à la fin du tome précédent. Ceda est toujours dans sa lutte contre les rois, cachée parmi les Vierges. Cette position lui permet d'avoir une vision bien plus interne de la politique et de ce qu'il se passe vraiment dans les palais. Erme de son coté est parti
David
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Just as thrilling and compelling as the first installment! I love the strong female protagonists, the setting, the intrigue, and the fantastic world building! I'm sad I will have to wait an indeterminate amount of time to find answers to the many questions the end of the book raised (carefully avoiding spoilers here...) I'm enthralled by the world of Sharakhai and the Shangazi :)
Aki Tman
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Took my time reading this one because when you find an author you like, you should savour their words that they laboured for months and sometimes years to create, rather than rush through it in a day or two and miss all the meaning. Or not, whatever floats your boat really, its your book I'm not going to tell you how to read it!
The first book was great, but just shy of 5 for me.
This book is better than the first, even though Ceda is sometimes a bit of an unsympathetic character.
Great action sce
Bogdan
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
If I remember well I haven`t read a book so fast after it`s publishing.

But It was a mere chance and in the end I was so glad to be so.

I can`t say that it was an still an amazing read, because some of the new factor has vanished, but stil a great one.

This time there only a few chapters that go back in time, but they have their importance role in the way the story goes.

Maybe the action has a really slow pacing, but hey, this was the same in the first book, so no real novelty here.

I was very excit
Fantasy Literature
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 stars from Bill, read the full review at FANTASY LITERATURE

Disclaimer: just so you know, some of the books we review are received free from publishers

With Blood Upon the Sand (2017) is the second in Bradley P. Beaulieu’s THE SONG OF THE SHATTERED SANDS series, following up on the excellent Twelve Kings in Sharakhai. The sequel didn’t grab me quite as fully as its predecessor, but it’s quite nearly as good and certainly has me eager to continue reading the series.

So as to avoid spoilers for the
  • Sins of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #1)
  • Stranger of Tempest (The God Fragments, #1)
  • Arcanum Unbounded: The Cosmere Collection
  • The Wall of Storms (The Dandelion Dynasty, #2)
  • The Guns of Empire (The Shadow Campaigns, #4)
  • The Obelisk Gate (The Broken Earth, #2)
  • The Olympian Affair (The Cinder Spires, #2)
  • Cloudbound (Bone Universe, #2)
  • The True Queen (Sorcerer Royal #2)
  • The Invisible Life of Addie La Rue
  • The Queens of Innis Lear
  • Within the Sanctuary of Wings (The Memoirs of Lady Trent, #5)
  • An Accident of Stars (Manifold Worlds, #1)
  • A Plague of Swords (The Traitor Son Cycle, #4)
  • Even the Darkest Stars (Even the Darkest Stars #1)
  • Darkdawn (The Nevernight Chronicle, #3)
  • A Shattered Empire (Sorcery Ascendant Sequence, #3)
  • Fire and Heist
Bradley P. Beaulieu began writing his first fantasy novel in college, but life eventually intervened. As time went on, though, Brad realized that his love of writing and telling tales wasn't going to just slink quietly into the night. The drive to write came back full force in the early 2000s, at which point Brad dedicated himself to the craft, writing and learning under the guidance of writers li ...more
More about Bradley P. Beaulieu

The Song of the Shattered Sands (6 books)
  • Twelve Kings in Sharakhai (The Song of the Shattered Sands, #1)
  • A Veil of Spears (The Song of the Shattered Sands, #3)
  • Beneath the Twisted Trees (The Song of the Shattered Sands, #4)
  • When Jackals Storm the Walls (The Song of the Shattered Sands, #5)
  • A Desert Torn Asunder (The Song of the Shattered Sands, #6)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bees
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Fool's Assassin (The Fitz and The Fool Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Friday
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Dhalgren
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Conjure (Hoodoo Apprentice)
    $5.99 $0.00
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Acacia: The War with the Mein (Acacia, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99