Start by marking “Who Was Cesar Chavez?” as Want to Read:
Who Was Cesar Chavez?

Who Was Cesar Chavez?

(Who Was/Is...?)

Learn more about Cesar Chavez, the famous Latino American civil rights activist.

When he was young, Cesar and his Mexican American family toiled in the fields as migrant farm workers. He knew all too well the hardships farm workers faced. His public-relations approach to unionism and aggressive but nonviolent tactics made the farm workers' struggle a moral cause with nation
Published February 7th 2017 by Penguin Workshop

To ask other readers questions about Who Was Cesar Chavez?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who Was Cesar Chavez?

Start your review of Who Was Cesar Chavez?
David
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.0

I am embarrassed to say I didn't know much about Cesar Chavez and his labor movement. This book gave a nice overview of his life and did a great job explaining things like: migrant workers, the plight of Mexican immigrants, labor unions, non-violent civil disobedience, and touched on some important civil rights leaders.
Alicia
This is my first "Who was/is?" series book and enjoyed the format akin to the Wicked History series that focuses specifically on a person and their impact in history. I honestly knew very little about Chavez so I was glad for reading the book to get to know him and his purpose but also am interested in reading more titles in the series and purchasing for our library.

In essence, Chavez fought for migrant workers rights, created a union, fasted like Gandhi, and found purpose in advocating for the
Kelly
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Like many of the characters featured in these books, I enjoyed learning more about Cesar Chavez and how he came to be such an influential leader. I am so grateful for his courage to stand up to greed, corruption and an unjust system. I am curious if farm workers continue to get unfairly treated on account of their class and/or ethnic differences and hope there are always people willing to stand up to inequality.

"Martin Luther King Jr. sent Cesar a telegram that read "Our separate struggles are
Stephanie Tournas
In 1962 Cesar Chavez started the movement which organized thousands of migrant farm workers in California and the southwest, ultimately becoming the United Farm Workers. This well written biography tells of Chavez's beginnings, and of the conditions, both social and economic, that led to the organization. Personal facts and history alternate with side pieces on related concepts and people, such as " braceros," "Dolores Huerta," and "Martin Luther King, Jr." Black and white drawings throughout ma ...more
Earl
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A pretty comprehensive look into the life of Cesar Chavez. The more I've learned about him, the more I want to read up on the other people who played roles in his life of activism- Fred Ross, Dolores Huerta, Larry Itliong. I also want to read even more about the nonviolent movement and the people who've changed the world through this process.
Scott
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Mary Thomas
I read this right after finishing Stef Soto, Taco Queen. I love these quick biographies because I go from only knowing the person's name to knowing much more of their story. I also liked the tie-in to Obama's YES WE CAN slogan.
Yvonne
Mar 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Good overview of his life and work for justice.
Aaron
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very educational. My kids enjoyed.

We love the “Who Was” book series and read this for Cesar Chavez Day. We enjoy using these books for ojr homeschool studies.
Lindsey
Mar 09, 2019 rated it liked it
These are always great read-aloud books with the kids. This was all about Cesar Chavez, yet another monumentally important figure in history that public school failed to teach me about.
Lionheart
Dec 06, 2018
Cassie Wolfgram
Jan 23, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Who Was/Is...? (1 - 10 of 161 books)
  • Who Was Abigail Adams?
  • Who Was Abraham Lincoln?
  • Who Was Albert Einstein?
  • Who Was Alexander Graham Bell?
  • Who Was Alexander the Great?
  • Who Was Alexander Hamilton?
  • Who Was Alfred Hitchcock?
  • Who Was Amelia Earhart?
  • Who Was Andrew Jackson?
  • Who Was Andy Warhol?