Start by marking “Who Was Cesar Chavez?” as Want to Read:
Who Was Cesar Chavez?

Who Was Cesar Chavez?

(Who Was/Is...?)

Learn more about Cesar Chavez, the famous Latino American civil rights activist.

When he was young, Cesar and his Mexican American family toiled in the fields as migrant farm workers. He knew all too well the hardships farm workers faced. His public-relations approach to unionism and aggressive but nonviolent tactics made the farm workers' struggle a moral cause with nation
Published February 7th 2017 by Penguin Workshop

To ask other readers questions about Who Was Cesar Chavez?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who Was Cesar Chavez?

Start your review of Who Was Cesar Chavez?
Licha
I feel like I should know more about Cesar Chavez, but in reality I only became aware of him in adulthood. It's kind of a shame because I live in California and should know who CC is .

Random facts for me:

--During the Depression, whites blamed Mexicans for scarce jobs and thus had them deported even if they were American citizens.

--Mexico sold California, Nevada, Utah, parts of Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, and Wyoming for $15 million dollars. Mexicans already living in these states at the time
David
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.0

I am embarrassed to say I didn't know much about Cesar Chavez and his labor movement. This book gave a nice overview of his life and did a great job explaining things like: migrant workers, the plight of Mexican immigrants, labor unions, non-violent civil disobedience, and touched on some important civil rights leaders.
GarfieldELL301
Cesar Chavez was a hero because he made farm workers,jobs better, symbol of hope for the poor and powerless and he fought against racism in America. I would recommend reading Who Was Cesar Chavez? by Dana Meachen Rau because he helps people to fight against racism,he never gave up no matter what happens to him.And his slogan was Yes We Can.
He was born on March 31,1927 near Yuma, Arizona. He was raised in California in a barrio. His family was his wife whose name was Helen Fabela and their 8 chil
Alicia
This is my first "Who was/is?" series book and enjoyed the format akin to the Wicked History series that focuses specifically on a person and their impact in history. I honestly knew very little about Chavez so I was glad for reading the book to get to know him and his purpose but also am interested in reading more titles in the series and purchasing for our library.

In essence, Chavez fought for migrant workers rights, created a union, fasted like Gandhi, and found purpose in advocating for the
Kelly
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Like many of the characters featured in these books, I enjoyed learning more about Cesar Chavez and how he came to be such an influential leader. I am so grateful for his courage to stand up to greed, corruption and an unjust system. I am curious if farm workers continue to get unfairly treated on account of their class and/or ethnic differences and hope there are always people willing to stand up to inequality.

"Martin Luther King Jr. sent Cesar a telegram that read "Our separate struggles are
Stephanie Tournas
In 1962 Cesar Chavez started the movement which organized thousands of migrant farm workers in California and the southwest, ultimately becoming the United Farm Workers. This well written biography tells of Chavez's beginnings, and of the conditions, both social and economic, that led to the organization. Personal facts and history alternate with side pieces on related concepts and people, such as " braceros," "Dolores Huerta," and "Martin Luther King, Jr." Black and white drawings throughout ma ...more
Mar 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, kid-lit
There was no better day to finish this book than on Cesar Chavez Day! Who was Cesar Chavez? was a very informative and interesting read that gave me a great introduction to Cesar Chavez's life and what he did to fight for the rights of farm workers. I also really enjoyed reading about how other civil rights and political leaders of that time supported the cause.

"Cesar Chavez has become a symbol of hope for the poor and the powerless. He remains an inspiration to Latinos everywhere, and a strong
Earl
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A pretty comprehensive look into the life of Cesar Chavez. The more I've learned about him, the more I want to read up on the other people who played roles in his life of activism- Fred Ross, Dolores Huerta, Larry Itliong. I also want to read even more about the nonviolent movement and the people who've changed the world through this process.
Anne Wi
Sep 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I don't know who Cesar Chavez was before reading this book! I had no idea either Hispanic Americans faced a lot of the same discriminations as African Americans. He did so much to better people's lives. I highly recommend this book.
Scott
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Mary Thomas
I read this right after finishing Stef Soto, Taco Queen. I love these quick biographies because I go from only knowing the person's name to knowing much more of their story. I also liked the tie-in to Obama's YES WE CAN slogan.
Vani Ghanate
Apr 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A good read!
CL
May 20, 2020 marked it as who-hq
Mexican American who organized labor union for farm workers. Led the Delano Grape Strike, which lasted for 5 years.
Yvonne
Mar 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Good overview of his life and work for justice.
Aaron
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very educational. My kids enjoyed.

We love the “Who Was” book series and read this for Cesar Chavez Day. We enjoy using these books for ojr homeschool studies.
Lindsey
Mar 09, 2019 rated it liked it
These are always great read-aloud books with the kids. This was all about Cesar Chavez, yet another monumentally important figure in history that public school failed to teach me about.
Lionheart
Jun 15, 2020
Meghan
Jan 10, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• What Was the Underground Railroad?
  • Who Is Ruth Bader Ginsburg?
  • What Is the Women's Rights Movement?
  • What Is the Stanley Cup?
  • Where Is the Bermuda Triangle?
  • Who Was Mister Rogers?
  • Who Is Jackie Chan?
  • What Was the Titanic?
  • Where Were the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World?
  • Who Was Harvey Milk?
  • What Was the Battle of Gettysburg?
  • What Was the Alamo?
  • What Was Pearl Harbor?
  • What Were the Salem Witch Trials?
  • What Was the Vietnam War?
  • What Is the Statue of Liberty?
  • What Is the Story of Scooby-Doo?
  • What Was the Hindenburg?

Who Was/Is...? (1 - 10 of 161 books)
  • Who Was Abigail Adams?
  • Who Was Abraham Lincoln?
  • Who Was Albert Einstein?
  • Who Was Alexander Graham Bell?
  • Who Was Alexander the Great?
  • Who Was Alexander Hamilton?
  • Who Was Alfred Hitchcock?
  • Who Was Amelia Earhart?
  • Who Was Andrew Jackson?
  • Who Was Andy Warhol?