Start by marking “Who Was Cesar Chavez?” as Want to Read:
Who Was Cesar Chavez?

Who Was Cesar Chavez?

(Who Was . . . ? Series)

Learn more about Cesar Chavez, the famous Latino American civil rights activist.

When he was young, Cesar and his Mexican American family toiled in the fields as migrant farm workers. He knew all too well the hardships farm workers faced. His public-relations approach to unionism and aggressive but nonviolent tactics made the farm workers' struggle a moral cause with nation
Published February 7th 2017 by Penguin Workshop

To ask other readers questions about Who Was Cesar Chavez?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who Was Cesar Chavez?

Start your review of Who Was Cesar Chavez?
Licha
I feel like I should know more about Cesar Chavez, but in reality I only became aware of him in adulthood. It's kind of a shame because I live in California and should know who CC is .

Random facts for me:

--During the Depression, whites blamed Mexicans for scarce jobs and thus had them deported even if they were American citizens.

--Mexico sold California, Nevada, Utah, parts of Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, and Wyoming for $15 million dollars. Mexicans already living in these states at the time
David
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.0

I am embarrassed to say I didn't know much about Cesar Chavez and his labor movement. This book gave a nice overview of his life and did a great job explaining things like: migrant workers, the plight of Mexican immigrants, labor unions, non-violent civil disobedience, and touched on some important civil rights leaders.
Henry
Apr 10, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography
[Reviews taken as dictation while reader points to sentences in the book.]
My favorite part was the march that they did. "He led a 300-mile march from Delano to California's Capitol building in Sacramento" [as part of the grape strike in 1966]. My least favorite part was when there was Mexican segregation happening like signs in store windows saying, "We serve whites only. No Mexicans."
GarfieldELL301
Cesar Chavez was a hero because he made farm workers,jobs better, symbol of hope for the poor and powerless and he fought against racism in America. I would recommend reading Who Was Cesar Chavez? by Dana Meachen Rau because he helps people to fight against racism,he never gave up no matter what happens to him.And his slogan was Yes We Can.
He was born on March 31,1927 near Yuma, Arizona. He was raised in California in a barrio. His family was his wife whose name was Helen Fabela and their 8 chil
Alicia
This is my first "Who was/is?" series book and enjoyed the format akin to the Wicked History series that focuses specifically on a person and their impact in history. I honestly knew very little about Chavez so I was glad for reading the book to get to know him and his purpose but also am interested in reading more titles in the series and purchasing for our library.

In essence, Chavez fought for migrant workers rights, created a union, fasted like Gandhi, and found purpose in advocating for the
Kelly
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Like many of the characters featured in these books, I enjoyed learning more about Cesar Chavez and how he came to be such an influential leader. I am so grateful for his courage to stand up to greed, corruption and an unjust system. I am curious if farm workers continue to get unfairly treated on account of their class and/or ethnic differences and hope there are always people willing to stand up to inequality.

"Martin Luther King Jr. sent Cesar a telegram that read "Our separate struggles are
Stephanie Tournas
In 1962 Cesar Chavez started the movement which organized thousands of migrant farm workers in California and the southwest, ultimately becoming the United Farm Workers. This well written biography tells of Chavez's beginnings, and of the conditions, both social and economic, that led to the organization. Personal facts and history alternate with side pieces on related concepts and people, such as " braceros," "Dolores Huerta," and "Martin Luther King, Jr." Black and white drawings throughout ma ...more
Mar 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, kid-lit
There was no better day to finish this book than on Cesar Chavez Day! Who was Cesar Chavez? was a very informative and interesting read that gave me a great introduction to Cesar Chavez's life and what he did to fight for the rights of farm workers. I also really enjoyed reading about how other civil rights and political leaders of that time supported the cause.

"Cesar Chavez has become a symbol of hope for the poor and the powerless. He remains an inspiration to Latinos everywhere, and a strong
Grazie Mille
Apr 04, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: who-was-books
Cesar remembered one of her (his mother's) sayings throughout his life: "It takes two to fight, and one can't do it alone." In other words, even if someone wants to fight you, you have the choice to walk away.

Cesar Chavez took that advice to to heart. He did fight for the rights of many farm workers (Latino and all races), but he did not fight with his fists.
Tam Newell
Apr 09, 2021 rated it liked it
Looking for books to celebrate Hispanic American Month... this fit with a few others we’ve read lately about migrant farmers, civil rights and segregation not being just black/white issues, and ways people have fought for what is right. While I had heard about Chavez, I knew very little til reading this.
Earl
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A pretty comprehensive look into the life of Cesar Chavez. The more I've learned about him, the more I want to read up on the other people who played roles in his life of activism- Fred Ross, Dolores Huerta, Larry Itliong. I also want to read even more about the nonviolent movement and the people who've changed the world through this process. ...more
Anne Wi
Sep 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I don't know who Cesar Chavez was before reading this book! I had no idea either Hispanic Americans faced a lot of the same discriminations as African Americans. He did so much to better people's lives. I highly recommend this book. ...more
Scott
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Elina
Mar 20, 2022 rated it really liked it
Nice book. Umm a little just a little this is saddening. Because I mean he had to start picking crops when he was only 12 and the book also said that he was a great farmer,. Though he was quite poor still he was able to become famous and if this was his goal he did a a9job.
Dan
Jul 09, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021-reads
I learned a lot about Cesar Chavez from this book. He was an activist for Mexican Americans and farm workers. He started a union for farm workers and was very active in raising up their standard of living. This is a good book to begin learning about the modern labor movement.
Mary T
I read this right after finishing Stef Soto, Taco Queen. I love these quick biographies because I go from only knowing the person's name to knowing much more of their story. I also liked the tie-in to Obama's YES WE CAN slogan. ...more
Jonathan Cavazos
Short overview.

This book was a short, informative look at Cesar Chavez's life. I was not familiar on all he accomplished to help farm workers.
Douglas
Aug 05, 2021 rated it really liked it
Read it to our kids at night. We have a Cesar Chavez Blvd in our downtown area, we didn’t really know much about him. This was my first book I’ve read in this Who Was series, enjoyed it.
Vani Ghanate
Apr 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A good read!
Tina
Jan 28, 2022 rated it really liked it
I didn’t know anything about Cesar Chavez before I read this book. I had never even heard of him before I saw this book at our library.
CL
May 20, 2020 marked it as who-hq
Mexican American who organized labor union for farm workers. Led the Delano Grape Strike, which lasted for 5 years.
Yvonne
Mar 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Good overview of his life and work for justice.
Katy Lovejoy
Jul 20, 2022 rated it really liked it
This name did not ring a bell for me
Aaron
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very educational. My kids enjoyed.

We love the “Who Was” book series and read this for Cesar Chavez Day. We enjoy using these books for ojr homeschool studies.
Lindsey
Mar 09, 2019 rated it liked it
These are always great read-aloud books with the kids. This was all about Cesar Chavez, yet another monumentally important figure in history that public school failed to teach me about.
Lionheart

• Who Was Celia Cruz?
  • Who Was Sitting Bull?
  • Who Was Marie Curie?
  • Who Was Ida B. Wells?
  • Who Was Frederick Douglass?
  • Who Is Temple Grandin?
  • Who Was Nikola Tesla?
  • Who Was Queen Elizabeth II?
  • Who Was Seabiscuit?
  • Where Were the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World?
  • Who Was Nelson Mandela?
  • What Is the Declaration of Independence?
  • Who Is Greta Thunberg?
  • What Was the Vietnam War?
  • Who Was King Tut?
  • Who Was Maria Tallchief?
  • Who Was Eleanor Roosevelt?
See top shelves…

Who Was . . . ? Series (1 - 10 of 232 books)
  • Who Was Ben Franklin?
  • Who Was Albert Einstein?
  • Who Was Annie Oakley?
  • Who Was Maria Tallchief?
  • Who Was Harry Houdini?
  • Who Was Amelia Earhart?
  • Who Was Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart?
  • Who Was Thomas Jefferson?
  • Who Was Helen Keller?
  • Who Was Eleanor Roosevelt?