Start by marking “Fire Color One” as Want to Read:
Fire Color One

Fire Color One

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  1,191 Ratings  ·  304 Reviews
A father and daughter reconnect after a life spent apart to find their mutual love of art isn’t the only thing they share.

Sixteen-year-old Iris itches constantly for the strike of a match. But when she’s caught setting one too many fires, she’s whisked away to London before she can get arrested—at least that’s the story her mother tells. Mounting debt actually drove them o
Published January 31st 2017 by Philomel Books (first published July 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Fire Color One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fire Color One

(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins UK, Children's and NetGalley.)

“Haven’t you worked it out yet?” Margot asked him.
“What?”
“Life’s big secret. If a thing’s not dangerous, it’s hardly worth doing.”

This was a bit of a dull story, but it did have some interesting moments, and a mega twist at the end.

I felt quite sorry for Iris, her mother should have been ashamed of herself! She really was a despicable human being, and how so
Kate (GirlReading)
2.5* this was an okay read but, for me, it wasn’t anything all that special. I didn’t love the writing style and found the story as a whole to be pretty predictable and the characters not all that enjoyable. However, it was a very quick and easy read and I can see why people like it. Unfortunately, for me personally, it just wasn’t my cup of tea or particularly memorable.

TW: body shaming, sexual assault
Maddie (Heart Full Of Books)
Unbelievably good. Seriously, SO GOOD. Based on relationships between family, this book was refreshing to read, and a treasure. I consumed it as fast as fire consumes paper!
Claire (Book Blog Bird)
I received a copy of Fire Colour One in exchange for an honest review. Many thanks to Netgalley and Harper Collins.

When I finished Fire Colour One, I was all set to give it a 4.5 star review. But since finishing it yesterday evening I haven't been able to stop thinking about it. Like, not at all. I'm still all feels-y, even now, sitting at work, writing this review. So for that reason I've bumped it up to a five.

The title, Fire Colour One, actually refers to the Yves Klein painting FC1, which is
Robin Stevens
May 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read a lot of books, so it means a lot when I say that this is one of the very best books I've read all year. I also don't have time to do much rereading at all, and so when I say that I finished this and immediately turned back to the beginning to read it again, you'll understand how exceptional I think this is.

It's about art, family, love, loss and burning bridges (literally), and it's brief, glorious and lyrical. I'm going to be raving about this one for quite a while. What a book.
Ella Zegarra
Jun 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
ah, eso fue satisfactorio

Original de: El Extraño Gato del Cuento

La sinopsis es cortita pero creo que de todas maneras como le baja un poco de emoción al libro, mi recomendación por eso siempre será: tu cita con un libro de ser a ciegas. Si eres de los que gusta vivir al límite, claro.

Yo no sabía que Jenny Valentine era una escritora bastante importante y querida en el mundo Young Adult hasta que empecé a leer Fire Colour One, creo que es algo así como Morgan Matson, solo ciertos grupos la conoce
Serisop (Cioccolatoelibri)
Con una parola posso descrivere questo libro: strano.
"Color fuoco" è la storia di Iris che, diciamocelo chiaramente, è una piromane. Non ha mai fatto del male a nessuno, ma solo nel fuoco e dando fuoco alle cose riesce a trovare una specie di tranquillità interiore.
Cresciuta in una famiglia che di famiglia ha ben poco, con una madre ed un patrigno che l'hanno sempre trattata come un peso, come un qualcosa che gli è toccato avere, ma che avrebbero di gran lunga preferito abbandonare per strada.
Georgia
Nov 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book hasn't made me cry for quite a long time, and I knew as soon as I received this one I would have an emotional attachment to it. This is easily very high in my top favourite novels of 2015: it has had a very memorable effect on me. It was a short, but still very powerful read- I absolutely love when books like these can have such an impact on you, but in a minimal amount of pages.

Iris is a very troubled child: she loves setting fire to things, and has been left alone to cope alone by her
Anna (BooksandBookends)
Jul 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I received this book for free by the book's publishers via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Iris has no recollections of her Dad other than what her mother, Hannah, has told her. She has grown up with the knowledge her father wants nothing to do with her. Hannah and partner Lowell don't seemt to want to either. Thurston however, is her best friend and the only person who understands her love and desperate need of fire to calm herself in the midst of the chaos in her life. But has Hanna
Heather
*3.5 stars* Just a quick review as I don't have too much to say!

This book was good and I'm glad I read it. With saying that, something was just missing.
I feel like the whole story line was mushed into the last two chapters and I was left with a lot of questions and no understanding of certain things. Thurston's character confused me a little, I didn't fully understand what his part in the story really was apart from the fact that he was the one thing that Iris looked forward to and made her ha
Hannah
May 04, 2017 rated it liked it
If it wasn't for the ending I would have given this book a lower rating. The characters were all really messed up. Revenge is such a beautiful thing at times though.
Tova
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting. I may have teared up at the end.
Kelly Gunderman
Feb 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
Check out this and other reviews on my young adult book blog, Here's to Happy Endings!

Fire Color One was an interesting little book with a unique plot that combined a teenage pyromaniac, the love for art, and a father and daughter being reunited ahd sharing secrets. It was also one of those books that I had a bit of a hard time connecting to the main character or the story, even though it was definitely an interesting one. It was a really quick read, and I finished it in a few hours. The twist a
Joost
Door het vuur maakt kans op de Diorapthe Literatourprijs. Is dit terecht? Je leest het in mijn recensie!
Megan
My god, I loved this book. Favorite of the year, so far.
Rashika (is tired)
***This review has also been posted on Xpresso Reads

Fire Color One is usually not the kind of novel I would find myself enjoying but I was thoroughly swept away by it. I love character development but I don’t really tend to enjoy books that are solely character driven. Fire Color One is primarily character driven. There is definitely a plot but it revolves around character revelations. Not around actual happenings. Yet it somehow managed to sweep me away till I had somehow run out of pages to re
Anne
Mar 27, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this as part of the Carnegie shadowing scheme 2016 and although I enjoyed it and marvelled at the mysterious twist at the end, I wouldn't say it shook the earth as I read. With the cover, I'm afraid, like my students, I might have passed it by (it is the only shortlisted title NONE of the 40 chose as their first read)

"what is life unless lived in danger?"

Iris is a lost bewildered teenager, struggling with her life, overseen yet neglected by her narcissist and debt-riddenmother and stepf
Lacey Louwagie
Jan 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: book-club, youngadult
A woman in my book club described this as "feeling like it's abridged even though it's not," and I think that's an apt characterization. The book is not very long, which is fine, but it also feels as if nothing much actually happens. A lot of time is spent on backstory that isn't incredibly important, and most of the characters start out unlikable and remain so without much of an arc. Although I am not someone who needs characters to be "likeable" to enjoy a book, I need them to at least be inte ...more
Clay
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
LOVED this Carnegie finalist YA about young arsonist, Iris, who never knew much about her rich dad, except what her horrid, selfish, gold-digger-now-that-he's-dying mother has told her. Mother drags daughter to dad's death bed, where father and daughter begin getting to know and like each other. Had me by page four where this dad-daughter interchange cracked me up:

"Do you want a song played?" I'd asked him. "When the curtains close, when your coffin goes through. Do you want a hymn or something
Lesley
Demi Idle
May 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-and-ya
This was marvellous and surreal, scattered and clever, very enjoyable read. Thank you Alice for the rec.

A set of colourful characters, including the teenage narrator with her paradoxical similes, is shown in glimpses of their lives as she remembers them at the deathbed of her father, and in her father's words she is retelling. She never knew him and is losing him when they only just met.

Despite the sad setting, the book is fun and optimistic. And it ends with a just-and-proper fairytale style pa
Lily
Oct 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A surprisingly sweet, beautiful and compelling YA contemporary about secrets, choices, greed, selfishness, honesty, family and building bridges set against a backdrop of abuse and neglect. I absolutely did not think a book about a pyromaniac could have me sympathising with the protagonist, but Jenny Valentine managed the impossible with incredible skill. It is a relatively short story, but remarkably detailed, unique and vibrant. The melancholic tone, almost lyrical writing, emotional depth and ...more
Tracy Hager
Jul 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received my copy from Netgalley and read this novel in one sitting and loved it so much I went straight out and bought myself a copy. Fire Colour One sits nicely along side Jandy Nelson's 'I'll give you the Sun' and some of Sarah Dessen's books, for her use of art in her writing. Her descriptions knocked my socks off and although at times almost too much (like Nelson's) I still loved it. The story is so refreshing and original and very easy to visualise. The ending was top notch and I will rea ...more
Lexxie (un)Conventional Bookviews
*I received a free ARC of Fire Colour One from Harper-Collins UK via Netgalley in exchange of an honest and unbiased review*

Fire Colour One is a strange, sad and slightly twisted tale in which Iris finally meets her father, and her whole past kind of falls into place just at the moment when she needs it the most.

This and all my other reviews are originally posted on my blog (un)Conventional Bookviews
Rachel
May 31, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This one has been getting loads of great reviews so I think I'm in the minority when I say this was wasn't for me. Whilst I appreciated the cleverness of the ending I felt nothing for any of the characters and therefore was not fully engaged with the story. My biggest gripe was with the mother and step father. They were so bad they were caricatures. I love a flawed character, but they have to be human. These folk were so one dimensional they were downright unbelievable.
Cristen
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was interesting. I really enjoyed some aspects, and others were rather perplexing. The way the author dealt with grief was quite apt, so it's getting a 4 from me.
Gray Cox
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Where do I start? I was hoping this book would be a captivating story about a young girl, who is creative yet slowly become depressed and insane enough to push her to the brink of becoming an arsonist, and her struggle with that + mental issues.

And I got that! For the first three pages.

After that this book became a wreck. I ended up hating Iris, so cold, so unlovable. My sympathy for her and her situation faded quickly.

The book also took God’s name in vain several times and had some swear
May 27, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf, 2018
Had to DNF this one at ~40%. What an unlikeable, shallow cast of characters, more concerned with musing about their past meanness toward each other than about staying on-plot for this particular novel. I might recommend this if you enjoy reading about rich people being terrible in your spare time, instead of just experiencing it in your real life. Jeez.
Ngaio
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arty, young-adult
I liked this book. The mum was a total cow and I found myself wondering how Iris managed to grow up with the more grounded attitude that shes has. She clearly didn't come out unscathed with all that arson stuff...I did find it a little disappointing that it didn't end as it started....with the end I know it was implied but I just would have likes one sentence at the end to go full circle. The art stuff was great.
Alicia
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: female, family, artsy, mystery
Immediately there was something off in the writhing that even the best of the characters couldn't overcome to not love it more than others. It is truly about family and relationships (healthy and unhealthy), mutual respect and appreciation, art, and parental love.
  • That Burning Summer
  • Almost True (When I Was Joe, #2)
  • What's Up with Jody Barton?
  • Buffalo Soldier
  • Sawbones
  • All of the Above
  • The Snake Charm
  • The Wall
  • Finding Jennifer Jones (Jennifer Jones, #2)
  • Flora in Love (The Diaries of Bluebell Gadsby, #2)
  • Counting Stars
  • Dead Man's Cove (Laura Marlin Mysteries, #1)
  • Brown Skin Blue
  • Everybody Jam
Jenny Valentine moved house every two years when she was growing up. She has just moved house again, probably not for the last time. She worked in a wholefood shop in Primrose Hill for fifteen years where she met many extraordinary people and sold more organic loaves than there are words in her first novel. She has also worked as a teaching assistant and a jewellery maker. She studied English Lite ...more
More about Jenny Valentine

Young Adult Deals

• Beneath the Shine
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Greensleeves
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Keeping You a Secret
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Some Fine Day
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy #1)
  • Otherkin
  • The Odds of Loving Grover Cleveland
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
“Get on with the business of living," Ernest told me. "You don't have any other choice.” 0 likes