Start by marking “Who Is Sonia Sotomayor?” as Want to Read:
Who Is Sonia Sotomayor?

Who Is Sonia Sotomayor?

(Who Was/Is...?)

The truly inspiring story of the first Latina Supreme Court Justice.

Outspoken, energetic, and fun, Sonia Sotomayor has managed to turn every struggle in life into a triumph. Born in the Bronx to immigrant parents from Puerto Rico, Sonia found out at age nine that she had diabetes, a serious illness now but an even more dangerous one fifty years ago. How did young Sonia han
Published February 7th 2017 by Penguin Workshop

To ask other readers questions about Who Is Sonia Sotomayor?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who Is Sonia Sotomayor?

Start your review of Who Is Sonia Sotomayor?
Licha
Really love these biographies, perhaps because they are simple yet fairly thorough, capturing key points in a person's life and accomplishments while also incorporating tidbits one may not know about the subject.

I have read an illustrated children's book on Sonia and fell in love with the person she is and her accomplishments in life. This book further reiterated why I admire her so.

Random facts for me:

--Sonia is the third woman and first Hispanic to be appointed to the Supreme Court.

--Sonia was
Wendi Lee
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another book I would not have normally picked up on my own (I don't normally read middle grade non-fiction), but I'm happy I read it for my stepson's Battle of the Books. It's a breezy, interesting story about Sotomayor's life.
M
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I bought this as a gift. It’s cute and to the point but not my favorite style (even for a kids book).

I laughed when I read that Sonia liked to dance “the salsa.” Maybe have a Latina/o edit it? Idk.

Anita
This best-selling kids' series of Who What Where offers the kind of background information that students need. For adults, these books are a quick mini-lessons in history that save time sifting through information on the Web.
Heather Laskos
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this book with my 11 year old and we enjoyed hearing about Sonia Sotomayor's life including her childhood in the Bronx and how she pursed education and excelled in her jobs.
Marnie
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrensbooks
I love reading these books alongside my 10-year-old, as she learns about important people in our world and how they became the people they are/were.

This one was of particular interest since my 10-year-old also has Type One diabetes, and got diagnosed around the same age as Sonia. Thankfully, medicine has come a long way since then. There were a few passages about how Sonia really wanted to make the most of her life because she knew it might be cut short, and those were hard for me to know my ch
Maria Cubilla
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Summary:
Sonia Sotomayor's life accomplishments are highlighted all throughout the book. It begins with her childhood and what she endured growing up to her getting accepted into Princeton. After Princeton, she takes on more law school in order to fulfill her lifelong dream of becoming a Judge. There are a lot of obstacles throughout her journey, but she overcomes them and accomplishes all of her dreams.

Questions:
1. What does the supreme court do?
2. Sonia reminisces about a trip during her child
Kelly
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Love the opening story of her waiting for the call from the President of the United States and his advice that she always stay the same person she was...and stay connected to the world she came from.

I didn't realize she was diagnosed with diabetes at eight and injected her own insulin from that point on. This disease made her view her life as one that would be short and that she had to be sure to live to the fullest. Super sad she also lost her dad when she was 9 years old. I love how dedicated
Shelli
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Who Is…? biography series are perfect for elementary or intermediate age students interested in learning about the featured person for an assignment or just for an exciting read. The afterward portion in this edition has a timeline on one side showing key events in Sonia Sotomayor's life and the opposite page shows worldwide key events during the same time period. Making for an interesting comparison and will help readers get a better feel for what else was happening at those times; a cool e ...more
Aimee
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent children's chapter book on Sonia Sotomayor

Excellent children's chapter book on the life of Sonia Sotomayor. This book goes into a brief history of Sonia's history including her early schooling, diabetes, getting into Princeton and Yale (law school), her extra curricular activities during school, and then her extraordinary career leading up to the supreme court. Excellent book for an older child. Very inspiring.
S.E.
May 01, 2019 rated it did not like it
I did not enjoy this book. I had a serious disagreement with one line on page 2. "The Supreme Court is the most important court in the country - it decides whether laws in the United States are fair or not." In my history class, we were taught that the Supreme Court determines whether laws in the United States were constitutional or not.
Reagan
Mar 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sonia Sotomayor was a judge at the US Supreme Court. Sonia Sotomayor worked and studied hard to be a judge. She didn’t stop because she fractured her ankle, she kept going. And she didn’t give up on her dream.She got the idea of being a judge by reading Nancy drew books and watching Perry Mason as a judge.[she loves mystery.]
Libby
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very informative

I'm an adult but learned a lot. I like how they define the terms they used such as Latina and Hispanic and the different types of courts and the branches of government in an easy to understand way. I'd recommend this highly
Natalie
I loved learning about Sonia Sotomayor. I found her wildly impressive. She was the third woman to be chosen for the Supreme Court and the first Hispanic. She worked hard her whole life and made it far by taking chances and believing in herself.
Tam Newell
Dec 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Great story about perseverance and taking chances.
Victoria B.
Not as well written as some of the other books in the series.
Lionheart
Dec 04, 2019 rated it liked it
It was fine.
Sierra
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very quick & simple read. It covers the basics w/ pictures & even explains potential background knowledge young readers may lack. Great introduction for kids. ...more
Doris Gourbere
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What an inspiration!
North Landesman
May 18, 2020 rated it it was ok
No controversy whatsoever?
Emma
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a hardworking person!
Sharon Bodnar
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Yes this is a kids’ book, but it’s all I needed to know about Sotomayor for now. Interested is reading her autobiography.
Nathaniel
Jan 30, 2019
Book Worm
Oct 26, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Who Is Ruth Bader Ginsburg?
  • Who Was Mister Rogers?
  • What Was the Berlin Wall?
  • Who Is Michael Jordan? (Who Was?)
  • What Is the Women's Rights Movement?
  • Who Is Oprah Winfrey?
  • What Was the Boston Tea Party?
  • What Was the Holocaust?
  • Where Is the Great Barrier Reef?  (Where is?)
  • Who Is Jackie Chan?
  • What Was the Underground Railroad?
  • What Is LEGO? (What Was?)
  • What Was Pearl Harbor?
  • Where Is Mount Rushmore?
  • What Was the Hindenburg?
  • What Were the Salem Witch Trials?
  • What Were the Twin Towers?
  • What Was the Great Depression?
Megan Stine is the Editor-in-Chief of Real U Guides and the author of more than 100 books for young readers including Trauma-Rama, an etiquette book for teenagers published by Seventeen magazine, and several titles in a series based on the popular 1990’s television series Party of Five. A frequent writer of books in the enormously popular Mary-Kate and Ashley series, she is the best-selling author ...more

Who Was/Is...? (1 - 10 of 161 books)
  • Who Was Abigail Adams?
  • Who Was Abraham Lincoln?
  • Who Was Albert Einstein?
  • Who Was Alexander Graham Bell?
  • Who Was Alexander the Great?
  • Who Was Alexander Hamilton?
  • Who Was Alfred Hitchcock?
  • Who Was Amelia Earhart?
  • Who Was Andrew Jackson?
  • Who Was Andy Warhol?

News & Interviews

Rumaan Alam began writing Leave the World Behind with a series of tweets on a secret Twitter account he started two years ago.   The book that...