Start by marking “Bob, Not Bob!” as Want to Read:
Bob, Not Bob!

Bob, Not Bob!

Little Louie is stuck in bed with a bad cold. His nose is clogged, his ears are crackling, and his brain feels full. All he wants is his mom to take care of him, but whenever he calls out for her, his stuffed-up nose summons slobbery dog Bob instead! As Louie tries and tries to make himself understood in this funny picturebook, kids will love calling out with him, "Bob, no ...more
Published February 14th 2017 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Bob, Not Bob!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bob, Not Bob!

Start your review of Bob, Not Bob!
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Another "just okay" picture book involving Cordell's work; there's probably a theme here...

No really, this was a cute enough picture book and I enjoyed the ending, but it's not the type of title I can see adding to my home collection, and my son didn't seem to care for it much at all.
Erica
I had the flu last week, complete with the aches and chills, the coughing and congestion and the damned stuffed-but-running nose. It sucked. I hated it.
Today, this book came across my desk and my empathy level for poor, sick Little Louie (who isn't actually all that little) skyrocketed due to recent experiences of my own. Awww, Louie, ya little angelbabysweetheart.

Little Louie, who is not so little, gets sick and goes into mancold territory but it's ok because he's still a kid and it's hard not
Beth
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Poor stuffed up Louie. He wants his mom. But every time he calls for her, his dog Bob comes running instead. Because, you know, when you're stuffed up, Mom sounds like Bob.

I have come to the conclusion that Audrey Vernick writes the best picture books ever. No contest. And this collaboration with Liz Garton Scanlon is no different.
Paul Orsino
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Little Louie isn’t so little that he needs his mom every minute of every day. But there are few things that make us all whimper and call for our mommies

quite like a bad cold. When Little Louie wakes up with an unbearably clogged nose, crackling ears, and gunked up eyes, he feels way more little than usual. All he wants is his mom, but whenever he calls for her, his faithful (and slobbery) dog, Bob comes running.

“Bob, Not Bob!” is absolutely hysterical. Students will empathize with Little Louie a
Abigail
Feb 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for Humorous Picture-Books About Illness
When Little Louie gets sick, all he wants is his mother. Unfortunately, he's so stuffed up that he can't seem to get the word 'Mom' out right, coming up with 'Bob' - the name of his dog - instead. His growing frustration at his inability to communicate is mirrored by the confusion of those around him, as he continually declares that he wants "Bob, Not Bob!"

Anyone who's ever had a head cold can empathize with Louie's situation, as he struggles to make himself understood. Children, in particular,
Michelle Simpson
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
This will make a fun read aloud!
Colona Public Library
This was a great picture for kids, especially kids who have colds. The book starts out with Little Louis getting a head cold. When he gets sick, he wants his mom. Who doesn't right? Well, Little Louie was stuffed up, so everything that he said came out different. He yelled for his Mom, but it sounded like Bob instead. Guess what his dog's name is? Yep. Bob. So every time Little Louie called for his Mom, Bob the dog came instead. Everyone was mixed up. Eventually he gets better, and at the end th ...more
Rachel
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Little Louie isn't super little... But a cold makes him feel that way. Poor Louie. He has an awfully stuffed up nose among other issues. So it makes sense that he would want a little help from his mom. However, his cold makes it quite hard to call for his mom, as it sounds like he is calling for his very active (and slobbering) dog, Bob. Join Louie as he fights away this cold in a hilarious story for all kids.
Oak Lawn Public Library - Youth Services
Title: Bob, Not Bob
Author: Liz Scanlon and Audrey Vernick
Lexile Level: AD500
Pages: 39
Recommendations and Comments: Little Louie has an awful cold. All he wants is his mom. But MOM comes out like BOB the name of his dog! Little Louie is very frustrated and his dog Bob is very confused. A story about how even bigger kids need their mom too. This book must be read as though you have a stuffy nose!
Stars: 5 out of 5
Reviewed by: Jamie Guardi
J
I've seen this book knocking around my library and was always put off by the illustrations. But this week, I read it to a group of first graders. It was every bit as fun for me to read out loud as it was for them to listen to it. They were cracking up the whole time.
Emily
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
With a stuffed up nose, it's hard to tell if Little Louie wants Mom or Bob, his dog. Nice representation of how it feels to be sick, lots of laughs for misunderstood words, and a lovable Bob. (Or is that Bob?)
Elizabeth Meadows
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
I love this book! I smiled all the way through and I'll wager little kids, big kids, and grown-up kids will smile when they read it, too!
Mary-Jane
Sep 15, 2019 rated it liked it
A very entertaining read-aloud. Some practice may be required!
Jillian Heise
I'd bet this would have a class of kids laughing, especially if "read as though you have the worst cold ever" to them. Funny, and something we can all relate to I'm sure.
Jen Bojkov
Apr 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Funny! Maybe a good read for early elementary.
Barbara
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
For the parent, teacher or librarian who loves a good read aloud that can only be done with "the voices" - this is your book. A boy with a cold in his head calls for his mom but it sounds like "Bob" and of course his dog, Bob comes running instead. Hilarious situations will tickle reader and listener alike in Bob, Not Bob! by Liz Garton Scanlon and Audrey Vernick with pictures by Mathhew Cordell. For ages 3 - 7.
JoAnne
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
ADORABLE. What a great idea for a children's book - read this with my 4 year-old and she was smiling from start to finish!
Dawn Moynihan
"Bob, not Bob!" is about Little Louie who has gotten a very bad cold. What happens when you get a cold? [children respond] I get a stuffy nose. And when I get a stuffy nose, I talk funny. Does that happen to you? [children respond] That's what has happened to Louie and it causes him all kinds of trouble. Let's find out.

Opening moves:
Prompt brief sharing of personal experiences.
Share a personal connection I have.
Provide important background information.
Lay the groundwork for helping children unde
Michele Knott
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
This may be the perfect book to use to practice fluency with expression! I know kids are going to love doing their best "sick with a cold" voice with this one!
Tasha
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
An awful cold can cause chaos, especially if you have a dog named Bob. Little Louie is big enough that he doesn’t need his mother all the time, but when he gets sick he needs her quite a bit more. As his cold grows, his congestion makes him talk differently. So when he calls for his Mom, it comes out as “Bob.” Unfortunately though, when he calls “Bob” his dog comes running. As his cold gets worse, he only wants his mom near him, confusing his sister with confusing sentences and continuing to cal ...more
Lynn
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious!!! Especially as I have a cold and stuffy nose while reading this so no special effort was needed! Little Louie is a very needy patient in a way everyone will recognize. Kids AND their Moms and Dads will laugh out loud at this. Matthew Cordell's illustrations are perfectly tuned to the text.
Achooo!
Jess
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
September 2017 - Ben LOVES this book, and so do I. It's a lot of fun to read (my best stuffed-up voice comes from pushing my nose shut a little while I read) and Ben laughs hysterically. It's also a sweet story about a kid who's little (but not that little) and his mom, and the illustrations and story work together so nicely. Plus, Little Louie looks a lot like Ben.

February 2020 - something reminded me of this book, so we reread it. Ben had absolutely no memory of it, but still thought it was fu
Olivia Slykhuis
Super cute story about a kid with a cold, who keeps calling for his "Bob" (Mom), but his dog Bob keeps running in. Sweet story about what you need when you're sick, and how it's nice to have your mom take care of you sometimes. A bit long for little kids, but would work for 5+. Would be good for a storytime about getting sick with the Llama llama book!
Jade
May 25, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: childrens
Really funny story about a young boy suffering a bad cold who wants to cling to Mom....but keeps getting his dog instead due to his altered voice! This one will ring true for parents and kids who've made it through those long, rough illnesses together.
Brooke
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comps-pb
Love the play on words here! Very funny and very relatable for kids who are sick. It is nice to read something where kids can see how to take themselves a little less serious and laugh about it instead.
Alina Borger
A charmer about a sick kid who calls for his mom, but it comes out sounding like his dog’s name. ❤️
Debbie Smith
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book

Little Louie isn’t so little that he needs his mom every minute, or is he? In Bob, Not Bob! when Louie gets sick with a cold he would be happy if his mom checked on him every three minutes, or so. But as he feels worse and worse and as his cold progresses he has a problem. When he calls for his mom, it comes out as bob. Unfortunately, his dog is named Bob, and Bob is more than happy to come running. The next day Little Louie is even sicker. His lips are chapped and his eyes gunked. And to his di
Angie
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a fun read for children and their parents. The humor is found in the mix-ups due to an inability to speak clearly because of a stuffy nose and the illustrations that depict a mom run ragged by her needy, cold-suffering child. Both roles are relatable. In a read-aloud, this held the interest of 3-year-old triplets and a 5th grader. One of the big tests of children's books, in my opinion, is whether or not it will hold up to multiple readings by Mom (me). If I can't stand a book, I'm going ...more
Lynn
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book almost makes me want to have a cold so I can talk like this!
This story is a fine example of how skilled writers can take a common experience and show the humor, tenderness, and human need in it.
Another thing that strikes me about this story is how fortunate that this little guy has a mom who has time for him. Rather than rushing off to do something (she even drops the laundry) or go somewhere (like to "work"), she takes time to comfort her child.
Add this book to the list of those that
Amy Layton
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
What a funny book!  This is definitely supposed to be read with a funny, sick accent--otherwise, what's the point?  Besides, a funny, sick accent is a must-have when reading this out loud to children, sick or otherwise.  This plays with linguistics, speaking, and hearing, and it's all so funny and creative.  Not to mention, of course, Cordell's illustrations!  The emotions they evoke, the absolute humor that comes from them is incredible.  This book is perfect for kids in grades 2-4, and great f ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Stay: A Girl, a Dog, a Bucket List
  • Claymates
  • Shawn Loves Sharks
  • Tyrannosaurus Rex vs. Edna, The Very First Chicken
  • Philomena's New Glasses
  • Dogosaurus Rex
  • Prudence the Part-Time Cow
  • We Are Growing! (Elephant & Piggie like reading!, #2)
  • John Deere, That’s Who!
  • Be Quiet!
  • Jabari Jumps (Jabari, #1)
  • Coyote Moon
  • After the Fall: How Humpty Dumpty Got Back up Again
  • Bruce's Big Move (A Mother Bruce Book)
  • The Infamous Ratsos (The Infamous Ratsos, #1)
  • If You Plant a Seed
  • The Marigold Mess
  • We Don't Eat Our Classmates
Liz Garton Scanlon is the author of numerous beloved books for young people, including the highly-acclaimed, Caldecott-honored picture book All the World, illustrated by Marla Frazee, and her debut novel for middle grade readers, The Great Good Summer, as well as The Good-Pie Party; Happy Birthday, Bunny!; Noodle & Lou, and several others. Ms. Scanlon is also a poet, a teacher and a frequent & pop ...more

News & Interviews