Start by marking “Weinberg on Writing: The Fieldstone Method” as Want to Read:
Weinberg on Writing: The Fieldstone Method

Weinberg on Writing: The Fieldstone Method

Gerald M. Weinberg -- author of more than forty books and more than 400 articles over a forty-year career -- reveals his secrets for gathering, organizing, and discarding writing ideas.

Drawing an analogy to the stone-by-stone method of building fieldstone walls, Weinberg shows writers how to construct fiction and nonfiction manuscripts from key insights, stories, and quot

Published February 3rd 2006 by Dorset House Publishing Company, Incorporated (first published November 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Weinberg on Writing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Weinberg on Writing

Johanna Rothman
Aug 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I've been working on improving my writing for about 20 years. When I was inside organizations, I asked some of my colleagues to review my memos and reports. I gained valuable insights. ("A verb, JR, a verb. Please.") But once I started my consulting business 11 years ago, I needed more help with my writing. My early reviewers gave me useful and helpful feedback. But it wasn't until I took Jerry Weinberg's writing workshop that I was able to take my writing to the next level.

If you want to take a
Ernestasia Siahaan
Apr 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing, non-fiction
I got hooked from the very first advice it gave. This is not the typical "write for your market" kind of thing. This really talks about the creative process of writing, starting from having the heart to write, all the way to life after publishing.

Suitable for writers of any genre : fiction, non-fiction, technical, etc.

Alex
Dec 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing
I've read a lot of books on writing and this is my favorite by far.
Scott Pearson
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gerry Weinberg has a PhD in communications and has written around 60 books on various topics, mostly having to do with computer programming. As a glorified computer programmer and an aspiring writer, this Weinberg book on his methodology for writing seems appealing.

His basic take runs through writing from the heart. He uses the analogy for nineteen of twenty chapters in this book of craftsperson building a wall with "fieldstones" and mortar.

For example, the act of sorting stones into piles is co
Dave
Feb 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: writing
I found the overall message of the book great, and it made me want to write more.

“Fieldstones” are small pieces of information, quotes, ideas etc which have “energy” for you - they are inspiring or interesting, they spark something for you. If you gather these all the time, you’ll end up having enough “fieldstones” to make various “walls” (books, articles etc). The book gives lots of detail on how to collect them, and on the process of writing - how to combine the stones to make something that
Miguel Ángel Alonso Pulido
Lo siento, pero el método del campo de piedras de Gerald Weinberg no es adecuado para mí, ni le veo utilidad para la escritura de ficción. Hay algunos puntos destacados en todo el libro, pero en general no le he visto ninguna utilidad. Por supuesto, ese es solo mi punto de vista, el tuyo puede variar.
Lily Kirsch
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I miss you, Grandpa Jerry. Thank you for giving me, and the rest of the world, the gift of your spirit and your writing.

(Still not sure why you put a picture of Camille in this book and never used one of me... but I guessss I won’t take off any stars)
Phil
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good idea! Kind of left me on my own figuring g out how to implement it - Weinberg's nuts and bolts don't work for me.
Bricoleur  (David) Soul
Nov 01, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: aspiring authors

"With wit, charm, humor, and wisdom, Gerald Weinberg shows you exactly how to become a more effective consultant" says the Goodreads' description for one of my favorite books Secrets of Successful Consulting.... well simply substitute effective writing for the italicized words and you've got the gist of this book.

Studded with lots of examples and exercises for the reader, the book could help writers of all genres and all skill levels; the most important lesson is not to just fight through "write

Johnny Graber
May 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Fieldstone Method is a simple and easy to apply method for writing. It doesn’t matter if you write a book or just a text for work. When you collect good ideas in a more organized way, then you can use those “fieldstones” for your work. Not all will fit and maybe you are better off by ignoring many in your collection. But when you have nice sentences or useful images that bring ideas to the point, go ahead and use them.

Are Your Lights On?” is a great book by Gerald M. Weinberg that still de
Andrew
Jan 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Documents the approach the author used to complete many of his works. Useful, but the end drags.
Sebastian Stabinger
Sep 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Even though I am "only" writing for scientific purposes I found this book very inspiring.
Cindy
Jan 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ph-d
Writing lessons. Usefull when you experience a writer's block.
Liz Logan
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have read hundreds of how-to-write books, and this may be the best. It is very unlike the others, really stunning in the originality of its pragmatism.
Mats Oldin

• Beautiful Testing: Leading Professionals Reveal How They Improve Software
  • Agile Retrospectives: Making Good Teams Great
  • Leading Lean Software Development: Results Are Not the Point
  • Agile Testing: A Practical Guide for Testers and Agile Teams
  • Bridging the Communication Gap: Specification by Example and Agile Acceptance Testing
  • Behind Closed Doors: Secrets of Great Management
  • The Resiliency Advantage: Master Change, Thrive Under Pressure, and Bounce Back from Setbacks
  • Managing The Design Factory:  A Product Developer's Toolkit
  • Waltzing with Bears: Managing Risk on Software Projects
  • Writing for Computer Science
  • Beautiful Architecture
  • Being Me, Loving You: A Practical Guide to Extraordinary Relationships
Gerald Marvin Weinberg (October 27, 1933 – August 7, 2018) was an American computer scientist, author and teacher of the psychology and anthropology of computer software development.