Start by marking “Room of Shadows” as Want to Read:
Room of Shadows

Room of Shadows

Ever since his dad left, David Cray has had anger issues. So after he beats up school bully Jake Bragg, his mom grounds him in their creepy new house. Bored, David discovers a secret room with an old-fashioned desk, a chest, and a carving of a raven. Suddenly he's having strange dreams about the room and the house, and violence seems to follow him wherever he goes. Who is ...more
Published August 1st 2017 by Albert Whitman Company

To ask other readers questions about Room of Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Room of Shadows

Start your review of Room of Shadows
Ivonne Rovira
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: suspense lovers of all ages
Recommended to Ivonne by: NetGalley
Take one part Edgar Allen Poe, one part haunted house tale, one part new-kid-in-town story and a soupçon of Patrick Ness’ A Monster Calls, and what you get is Ronald Kidd’s totally original middle-grade page-turner. Adults and kids alike will become engrossed in the story of David Cray, a 13-year-old boy who moves to Baltimore with his librarian mother when his father ditches the family for New York and a cutie named Gretchen. David’s new home, a ramshackle Victorian, turns out to have a secret ...more
Brett
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this one, but with my not-uncommon caveat: what happened with the cat was really, really unnecessary. I am totally going to go re-read some of Poe's stories, though.
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary |
Room of Shadows was an entertaining middle-grade read with a unique premise. Almost everyone knows of Edgar Allen Poe’s works, and many know that his end was both abrupt and mysterious. It was a fittingly foggy end to a writer whose works continue to capture the imagination. Room of Shadows takes what we know of Poe’s death and then speculates a suitably horrific ending to it all.

The main character in Room of Shadows is a young boy in a familiar situation. David has come from a recently broken h
Abbey
Oct 06, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 🌟
Many FANTASTIC lines...
On the whole, though, it just felt a little weaker than it should have been.
Angie
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
David Cray and his mom have just moved into a really creepy old house. They had to leave their old house because dad left and they could no longer afford it. Now they live downtown close to David's new school and his mom's work. David discovers a secret room in the house that had been blocked off. Once he enters the room he seems to be overcome with an energy and writes tons of scary stories. David is also dealing with some anger issues. When one of the school bullies tries to mess with him, Dav ...more
Margery Bayne
I'm disappointed.

The premise was intrigued. It had to do with Edgar Allan Poe, and was set in Baltimore, and the mother of the main character was an Enoch Pratt librarian. As someone who lives in Baltimore (and thus lives in Baltimore, is into Poe) and is an Enoch Pratt librarian, I was ready. Even more, I was drawn in by the first line, "It was year I discovered anger." Reading that, I thought, 'Wow, is this going to be a story that explores a young person dealing with anger in the aftermath o
thereadingowlvina (Elvina Ulrich)
***3.75 stars***

Edgar Allan Poe died a mysterious death in Baltimore on October 7, 1849, at age 40. His death sounds like his story. But what if Poe did not really die … his soul lingers and turns twisted … trapped in an old house … waiting to be unleashed? Following the separation of his parents, the 13 year old David Cray and his mother move to an old home in downtown. David soon uncovers a secret locked room with an ancient desk, some yellow aged papers, and a carving of a raven inside the ro
Young At Heart Reader
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: junior-fiction
The entire time I read this book I was constantly thinking of how much it reminded me of Goosebumps. Corny writing, a little simplistic with some spooky happenings and a twist. Granted, the twist here isn't as fun or original as some of Stine's, but it may grab some kids' attention.

While I could relate to David's situation, it didn't grab me at all. This book is odd in that it's being rushed and padded out at the same time. I could see this story being only 150 pages long or drawn out to 300 if
NerdWhoLovesToRead
Feb 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: eh
This was actually not too bad of a book. A very fast, easy, fun read. It is original, creative and interesting. Sadly, I personally didn't enjoy it as much. That's honestly on me, I had been procrastinating reading it and instead distracted myself with other things so I could've indulge in it as deeply as I should've. And yet, I still enjoyed it.
This is objectively a good book. It definitely deserves a higher rating than 3 but my personal experience was just fouled by distraction and a reading s
Sarai Davila
I so badly wanted to love this book. But for me, it fell flat in a few ways. It was a lot darker than I expected for a middle grade novel. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it didn't have a lot of relief from that. I also think it was confusing--there were just so many times when I wasn't sure what was really going on.

I love the idea of using a classic writer like Poe as inspiration for a book, but Poe isn't maybe the best choice as he wrote some truly ghastly stuff, and his personal lif
Janice
Nov 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-lit, library
David has been having some anger issues since his dad abandoned him and his mom; he mvoes closer to puberty; and he has to move to a different school because mom can't afford the old neighborhood. After he beats the snot out of a kid trying to bully him, he gets grounded and he begins to explore the old house he and his mom live in. Soon weird things begin to happen involving Edgar Allen Poe. He and his new friend, Libby, begin to investigate the secret room in his house and the happenings.

Fun m
Alison the Librarian
May 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: middle-grade
Gina
Sep 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
loved this edge of your seat book. For anyone who loves Edgar Allen Poe this is a must read. Since there is not much known on Poe's death, the author, Kidd, wrote a story about, "what if, this is how he died." The story revolves around a boy who has to move because his parents divorced and he is the new kid at the school. He has moved into the old off kilter house and feels he has unleashed some evil and violence seems to be following him.
BarbJ
Mar 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Fantasy, horror and historical fiction--all about Edgar Allen Poe. While the premise was good, and I liked the kid's voice at the beginning it was just too graphic for me to want to recommend to kids. Plus even though it was creepy, not sure this is the kind of horror a kid would really want to read....
Josh
Edgar Allan Poe's spirit languishes in a secret walled-off room in a house in Baltimore until an angry preteen inadvertently unleashes it upon the city to enact revenge plots that mirror (tamer versions of) famous Poe stories. While the premise is promising, it ultimately grows too bizarre to be scary, and the characters are too underdeveloped for the reader to truly care about what befalls them.
MC Bonet
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jenni Frencham
Sep 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
There is a reader for this book somewhere, but I am not that person. The choppy writing style combined with the limited narrator means I didn't really sympathize with the main character at all, and the creep factor wasn't high enough for me to finish the book on creepiness alone.
Noelle
Sep 28, 2017 rated it liked it
A little dark (possession by angry spirits, attempted murder, being buried alive) for my idea of a children's book, but overall an enjoyable little book. The ties to Edgar Allan Poe's history were interesting and well researched.
Megan
Oct 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Read this online, and weirdly it looks bigger as a physical book than the online version. I read this in less than an hour!
But still a cute read for October. Everyone needs a little mystery and Edgar Allen Poe in their lives.
Kaitlyn
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Krysta
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
Not well-written with choppy transitions and a romance that blossoms out of nowhere. I felt nothing because the characters weren't developed enough for me to fear for them. The disturbing natures of the crimes in this book also seemed more suitable for a YA book than a MG book.
Kimberly
Jun 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
I did not like evil Edgar, but I can see that middle schoolers would probably enjoy it.
Debi
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Equal parts creepy, fantastical, and out there! Middle grade kids will like this because it skirts the horror genre without being too over the top. Also, it's a pretty quick read!
Margaux
Sep 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Definitely creepier than I thought it would be, but I'd recommend this one.
Sara Houser
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed room of shadows. It can be a fast read the chapters are good and short. Great middle grade book, Plus the ending I did not see coming so it was a surprise.
Kimberly Johannsen-Coller
A quick, creepy read.
Matthias
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good old classic horror movie.
Ashley
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Super dark but it wouldn't be a book about Edgar Allan Poe if it wasnt. 🤷🏻‍♀️
Jen
Earline
A fun re-imagining of Edgar Allan Poe's mysterious final days mixed with a contemporary boy down on his luck. A little too fantastical for my taste, but I did enjoy being surprised by some really terrifying scenes.

• Chomp
  • The League and the Lantern
  • Winterhouse (Winterhouse, #1)
  • The Midwinter Witch (The Witch Boy, #3)
  • I Will Always Write Back: How One Letter Changed Two Lives
  • Crooked River (Pendergast, #19)
  • Mooncakes
  • Sal and Gabi Break the Universe (Sal and Gabi, #1)
  • Dead Voices (Small Spaces, #2)
  • A Dash of Trouble (Love Sugar Magic, #1)
  • Ruby and Olivia
  • The Christmas Spirits on Tradd Street
  • The Alcatraz Escape (Book Scavenger, #3)
  • The Line Tender
  • My Diary from the Edge of the World
  • Balanced and Barefoot: How Unrestricted Outdoor Play Makes for Strong, Confident, and Capable Children
  • Book Scavenger (Book Scavenger, #1)
  • The Serpent's Secret (Kiranmala and the Kingdom Beyond, #1)
Ronald Kidd is the author of thirteen novels for young readers, including the highly acclaimed “Night on Fire” and “Monkey Town: The Summer of the Scopes Trial.” His novels of adventure, comedy, mystery, and American history have received the Children's Choice Award, an Edgar Award nomination, and honors from the American Library Association, the International Reading Association, the Library of C ...more