Start by marking “Swimming with Sharks: The Daring Discoveries of Eugenie Clark” as Want to Read:
Swimming with Sharks: The Daring Discoveries of Eugenie Clark

Swimming with Sharks: The Daring Discoveries of Eugenie Clark

Before Eugenie Clark's groundbreaking research, most people thought sharks were vicious, blood-thirsty killers. From the first time she saw a shark in an aquarium, Japanese-American Eugenie was enthralled. Instead of frightening and ferocious eating machines, she saw sleek, graceful fish gliding through the water. After she became a scientist an unexpected career path for ...more
Published December 1st 2016 by Albert Whitman Company

To ask other readers questions about Swimming with Sharks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Swimming with Sharks

Mischenko
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
To see this review and learn more about Eugenie Clark, please visit www.readrantrockandroll.com

Swimming with Sharks by Heather Lang is a book about Eugenie Clark. The story explains how as a child she was fascinated with the ocean and the creatures beneath. As she grew up, she followed her dreams, and became a scientist.

Many people believe that sharks are bloodthirsty assassins. Eugenie knows something that others don't. Follow along in the story to learn about Eugenie and her love for sharks,
Cheryl
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wonderful biography - and I learned a lot about sharks that I didn't know. I guess Jaws was a real set-back, because Clark was learning great stuff well before that. Good pictures (though do have good light, as many are dark like underwater), author's notes. Highly recommended to all, *not* just youngsters.
Jennifer (JenIsNotaBookSnob)
I liked this quite a bit, illustrations were nice and Eugenie Clark is just a fun person to read about. When I was a kid I just loved Shark Lady by Ann McGovern(?). Read my copy until it fell apart and distinctly remember a part about boiling dead animals to get the skeletons clean.. lol I will have to find another copy and read and compare. I would say that the illustrations in this one are definitely more fun and this book is more accessible for younger children. My daughter is 6 and this book ...more
Jonathan Peto
Eugenie Clark was a Japanese American scientist who had a fascinating career. She was known as the "Shark Lady". I vaguely recall hearing about the Cape Haze Marine Laboratory that she opened in Florida in 1955, but I am ashamed to say that her name or gender did not stick and I never highlighted her career during the years I taught explorers as a 4th Grade teacher.

This short picture book highlights her fascination with sharks from a young age and how her curiosity and courage - swimming into sh
Gary Anderson
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
The murky illustrations in Swimming with Sharks effectively convey the underwater world of sharks, a domain that Eugenie Clark made her life’s work. Beginning with Clark’s childhood shark fascination, this picture book biography emphasizes important lessons about turning a passion into a profession, and underscores how academic and occupational expectations for girls and women have changed since the 1930s.
Tiffany
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Eugenie Clark is one of my favorite historical people and this book is an excellent resource to teach kids about her life, her discoveries, and to illustrate her importance to our understanding of the greatest creatures on this planet - sharks.
Tegan
Amazing!! I had never heard of Eugenie Clark before, but I'm so glad I did! What an amazing, brave, human! I hope that her research and compassion continues on and saves these amazing creatures. Read for Info Books for Youth for grad school.
ElphaReads
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
A really nice and informational book about Dr. Eugenie Clark, aka "The Shark Lady". This has some good info about her life and her studies, and a lot of great info about sharks as well!! I love Eugenie Clark and sharks, and this book is perfect for kids interested in these awesome creatures!
Marty Lapointe-Malchik
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
SWIMMING WITH SHARKS written by Heather Lang and illustrated by Jordi Solano is a delight to look at, to learn from, and to read aloud. Little Genie’s passion for studying sharks lasted into adulthood when she became known as the Shark Lady. In this book Lang shows the wonder and determination that young Genie had for these fascinating fish. Written with both deep understanding and deep affection for Eugenie Clark, Lang shows her research expertise as well as her talent for storytelling. The aut ...more
Alice
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I just read less than an hour ago a book about Eugenie Clark "Shark Lady by Jess Keating". And I liked them both.
This one had more detail, and information and have good pictures. This is for older elementary school. The Shark Lady is more for the younger grades, but together, I have learned about Eugenie Clark. Both worth while books. I rated the other one (Shark Lady) a little higher because I think the cover is more attractive and the pictures are more my taste. BOTH WORTH READING!
* this book
Jane
Apr 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Compelling true story of a childhood fascination with sharks that evolved into a groundbreaking career. Dr. Clark's research led to deeper understanding of these often misunderstood animals. Heather Lang does a wonderful job conveying information about sharks–their surprising diversity and habits, importance to the food chain–and dispels myths about them. The reader learns about sharks and Dr. Clark's passion to their study–all conveyed in an entertaining, accessible style.
Elizabeth
The illustrations are darker than those of Shark Lady -- which I understand as a valid depiction of underwater scenes, but which I wasn't super into. It's for older kids than Shark Lady, so it goes into more detail, and I was really into some of the story, but I found the illustrations hard to get into.

I did like the conceit of notepapers in the corners of the pages with the different things Genie learned.

Excellent anecdote: "Genie taught a pair of lemon sharks to press a white board connected
Baby Bookworm
May 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: our-reviews

Hello, everyone! Today’s book is Swimming With Sharks: The Daring Discoveries Of Eugenie Clark, written by Heather Lang and illustrated by Jordi Solano, a beautiful and inspiring illustrated biography of pioneer ichthyologist and marine biologist Eugenie Clark.

Young Genie had no greater fascination than sharks. As a child in the 1920’s and 30’s, she spent every moment she could at the aquarium,
Ro Menendez
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
First off, girl power! Girls can and have done anything they put their minds to! This picture book narrates the amazing story of Eugenie (Genie) Clark and her passion for understanding marine life, especially sharks. What I love most about the way Heather Lang tells the story is this: there's an emphasis on what Genie did when she was just a kid, a kid with a passion for sharks, and how it continued to be part of her work as an adult. I don't frequently see the children I serve, that are passion ...more
Debbie Smith
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
- A Brave and Inquisitive Lady -
Eugenie Clark was well ahead of her time by desiring to enter a profession that was basically not for women.

At an early age, she was mesmerized by sharks and loved to learn about them. Though her dream was to become a scientist and explore the ocean, she was encouraged to choose a profession that would be a bit more appropriate and attainable. However, her heart was set on college where she would be able to gain the credentials she needed to research sharks.

The b
KidsBooksWorthReading
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite things about being a parent is watching your child's mind grow and change and discover new amazing things. And when I discover new things or information along side her it makes me feel like a kid again. I never want to stop learning and discovering.
This book is about Eugenie Clark, the "Shark Lady". Growing up in the 1930s Genie loved learning about fish, but there wasn't much information about sharks. Not many dared to study the depths of the sea and none of them were women.
Kelsea
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Plot - Genie always took an interest in fish, sharks, and the ocean. However, when she was a child in the 1930's women weren't looked at as good candidates for scientists. Genie persevered and became a famous ichthylogist (a fish scientist) and she eventually continued her education of oceanography and got to study sharks up close. The pictures in this book also captivate the darkness and the mystery of the ocean.

Why I Chose It - Sno-Isle Library recommendation and and interest in the ocean

Genre
Anna
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love Eugenie Clark. She was an amazing woman, scientist and discoverer. This book has beautiful illustrations and talks about Eugenie's life, her discoveries, and how she became the shark expert and the best in the field despite being a woman. She was not accepted at certain schools, people kept telling her "no, you can't do that", but she ignored everyone and accomplished what she wanted to do despite all odds. She followed her heart and her dream and never gave up. She's an amazing inspirati ...more
Kimberly
Wow! This is an excellent easy biography. A year or so ago I read a different biography about Eugenie Clark, one meant for older elementary school kids. This one has less personal information about her, but does a good job illustrating her never-ending curiosity and wonder about the ocean. The illustrations in this book are wonderful! The sharks are so detailed and realistic, and Jordi Solano perfectly captured the look and feel of swimming in the murky waters. A truly lovely book about a suprem ...more
Ruth
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent biography, both in illustrations and story, of Eugenia Clark, a foremost shark scholar. It focuses on her achievements and wonder at the world of sharks. It briefly touches on the challenges she faced as a woman, and while the story doesn't say that she is a Japanese American, it is depicted in the illustrations. The additional information at the end of the story goes into more detail about both challenges she faced.

Truly a fascinating story and one of the best children's biographies I
Katie Lawrence
Dec 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a great introduction to Eugenie Clark and her incredible work with sharks. I loved reading the Author's note at the back and learning that Heather Lang met Eugenie Clark while working on this book. How amazing that Eugenie was still diving into her 90's! I also loved that this biography perfectly captured how a fascination with something can turn into a life-long career and passion. I never knew sharks could be trained and had never heard about "sleeping" sharks before either. Wonderful ...more
Kirsten
This is another great picture book biography of Eugenie Clark. It's slightly more in-depth and goes into more detail than Jess Keating's excellent Shark Lady, which also came out this year. I also appreciated the in-depth author's note at the back, which goes into a little more detail about Clark's Japanese-American heritage and her experiences. Both are great biographies. I would say that this one is better suited to slightly older audiences -- kindergarten and lower elementary -- whereas Keati ...more
Bexa
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This has gorgeous artwork, and a really great story behind Eugenie Clark and her research into the wild world of sharks. I enjoyed learning about her fascination with sharks at a young age and her desire to do the research herself rather than compiling notes for other people. I also appreciated the reminder that sharks are necessarily dangerous, just misunderstood, and we should do better to help preserve their species.
Erin Buhr
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-nonfiction
A truly remarkable person deserves more than just one great book about them and Eugenie Clark was certainly an incredible person. This book is a different version of her story that is fun to compare to what you learn in the first. The message is the same, even if illustrated and told differently. Eugenie Clark was a brave, bold, curious person who furthered knowledge of sharks and women in science forever.
Lauren
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I very much love when I can find biographical children's picture books. I like reading the simple stories to learn the true highlights of all these magnificent people out in the world doing great things. I would recommend this book for anyone looking to read to a preschool aged or older child or group. This would go great with an ocean unit as well as a career unit.
Marya
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Awwww. I've read several "Shark Lady" books aimed at children over the years, and I'm pleased this latest one is an excellent addition to that list. In gorgeous pictures, Clark's discoveries are seen as not just triumphs of women in science, but as a lifetime's worth of dedication to these creatures. This truly gives a beautiful gloss to life lived with purpose.
Kate
An inspiring true story about Dr. Eugenie Clark aka the "shark lady", who despite discrimination, became one of the most inspiring scientists in the world and whose revolutionary thinking and research changed the way society viewed marine wildlife. Overall a fantastic read and ideal for marine biology projects and homework. Great for children aged 5 to 8.
Grace Keaty
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such an amazing biography about a woman scientist who changed peoples opinions about sharks. I love all of the illustrations and text in this story. The text describes the scientific method very well so students can understand as well as doing a marvelous job at empowering young women to become scientists. This story would be better for upper elementary.
Nancy
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Heather Lang's Swimming With Sharks: The Daring Discoveries of Eugenie Clark is a welcome addition to any collection of ocean titles. Lang skillfully tells the adventuresome story of this famous shark scientist. Vivid details and lush illustrations bring the ocean depths to life.
Steph
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Do you think she swam with the megalodon?"
"She's brave."

The kids don't wait to take this book home, they read it in the library and pass it around. I love giving books to kids when they thoroughly dig in and enjoy them.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Joan Procter, Dragon Doctor: The Woman Who Loved Reptiles
  • Dangerous Jane
  • The Kid from Diamond Street: The Extraordinary Story of Baseball Legend Edith Houghton
  • Grace Hopper: Queen of Computer Code
  • Ada's Ideas: The Story of Ada Lovelace, the World's First Computer Programmer
  • Daredevil: The Daring Life of Betty Skelton
  • Solving the Puzzle Under the Sea: Marie Tharp Maps the Ocean Floor
  • Between the Lines: How Ernie Barnes Went from the Football Field to the Art Gallery
  • Free as a Bird: The Story of Malala
  • Fancy Party Gowns: The Story of Ann Cole Lowe
  • Bloom: A Story of Fashion Designer Elsa Schiaparelli
  • Keith Haring: The Boy Who Just Kept Drawing
  • Whoosh!: Lonnie Johnson's Super-Soaking Stream of Inventions
  • A Boy, a Mouse, and a Spider--The Story of E. B. White
  • Miss Mary Reporting: The True Story of Sportswriter Mary Garber
  • Hidden Figures: The True Story of Four Black Women and the Space Race
  • Shark Lady: The True Story of How Eugenie Clark Became the Ocean's Most Fearless Scientist
  • Game Changers: The Story of Venus and Serena Williams