Start by marking “Bunnybear” as Want to Read:
Bunnybear

Bunnybear

Although Bunnybear was born a bear, he feels more like a bunny. He prefers bouncing in the thicket to tramping in the forest, and in his heart he's fluffy and tiny, like a rabbit, instead of burly and loud, like a bear. The other bears don't understand him, and neither do the bunnies. Will Bunnybear ever find a friend who likes him just the way he is?
Published January 31st 2017 by Albert Whitman Company (first published 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Bunnybear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bunnybear

Start your review of Bunnybear
Michelle Schaub
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a hip-hoppity, ROARing good book for anyone who has ever felt like their outside self did not match their inside self. A sweet story about acceptance.
Vivian Kirkfield
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book shines! I was totally engaged with this sweet bear who feels he is bunny-like. The illustrations will delight every parent and child who read this...and the well-done text helps children embrace who they are...and accept others as they are.
A perfect picture book!
Danielle
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Just wait til you meet Bunnybear and Bunnybear's new friend! Adorable and sweet in every way with a strong message of being true to yourself.

Kris
Jun 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
So sweet, with a great message of acceptance. "You just look one way on the outside and feel another way on the inside. That's okay." This one would be a good, less controversial pick for a storytime with a message that even the most conservative of parents would have trouble objecting to. I mean, a bear who is really a bunny. What could be wrong with that? Oh, wait. I forget that "And Tango Makes Three" is still one of the most banned and challenged books in America. Never mind. If parents can ...more
Keila Dawson
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I am fortunate to have read an advanced copy of BUNNYBEAR. What a delightful story!

What should a bear do when he feels like a bunny? And other bears called you odd. He wiggled his nose, nibbled on strawberries, and bounced through the forest of course!

Author Andrea Loney tells the story about a bear who did what felt natural because "It made him feel free and light and happy." Even though others did not always understand, Bunnybear finds out he is not the only animal whose identity is at odds w
B
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awesome picture book about not quite fitting in.
Bear feels like a bunny- he loved to bounce thru the forest, wiggle his nose and nibble on strawberries. He did not fit in with the other bears, so he follows a bunny. Favorite line "bunny whispers were his favorite" sigh- beautifully written..
Good for all grades. A good first day of school read.
Lupita
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Message: Finding someone who likes you for who you are is the best. Great book for storytime.
Jessica Brown
A wonderfully illustrated, sweet story about self-acceptance. BunnyBear does not feel like a bear, and GrizzlyBun does not feel like a bunny. They find happiness and belonging in the friendship that accepts each other for who they are. I love it. I could easily see this being read/taught alongside "Red: A Crayon's Story".
Labeled for Preschool Storytime. Best appreciated by the older crowd, 4+. I think it'd be good for a Rising Readers storytime about "belonging" or "acceptance". I think I could
Diana Murray
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Manages to be both funny and warm, all while delivering an important message of acceptance without being preachy. The writing is so good. Each word is perfectly chosen and the text and art work together seamlessly. With characters like "BunnyBear", "GrizzlyBun", and "the elder bunny", how can you go wrong? Adorable.
Marta Timbrook
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I totally judged this book by its cover and it paid off. The illustrations that grabbed me were complimented by excellent, accessible writing with a warm, wonderful message of acceptance and being yourself. Can't wait to read it with my preschool groups!
Carmel
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I wish I had this book as a child! But what a wonderful read for my kiddos (the 6 year old, although old for picture books, got a lot more out of it than my 4 year old).
This was a great conversation starter. Highly recommended.
Alison Goldberg
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful picture book about staying true to who you are and finding friends who accept you the way you are. A joyful story with unique characters and adorable illustrations.
ElphaReads
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is absolutely lovely and a great way to discuss identity and being yourself in spite of social norms. Great pictures too!
KC
Apr 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Accepting others for their differences.
Tracy J Hora
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such a cute book about being yourself and acceptance. Really, really cute!
Rebecca
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cute book about being who you are no matter what others say.
Molly Neko
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: youth-reads
This book is adorable! The main protagonist is a bear and all he wants to be is a bunny. The other bears don't really accept Bunny Bear, so he leaves home to seek out the bunnies, who in turn treat him the same way. Along the way he meets and makes friends with someone similar to him. This is a wonderful book that can teach not only kids, but people of all ages about acceptance and that we can be anything we set our minds to.
Valeria Ayala-Nazario
This book is about a young bear who feels like a bunny inside. BunnyBear, is made fun of and neglected by fellow bears, so he feels like he does not belong at his den. BunnyBear follow a rabbit hole and there, other rabbits tell him to go because he is not a bunny. BunnyBear then finds a rabbit friend who feels like a bear. They both got along very well and made each other feel safe by not judging each other. In the end, all of the animals in the forest got together and put their differences asi ...more
Steve Tetreault
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What it's about: Bear is a bear, but he doesn't feel like a bear inside; he feels like a bunny. But when he starts to act like a bunny, everyone is very confused. "Why do you want to act like something you're not?" the other animals ask. But Bear is acting like himself, and doesn't see why that should be a problem. Eventually, the other animals see his point, and some of the other forest animals realize that what they feel like inside is not what they look like outside, either.

What I thought: I
Taneka
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Bunnybear feels different in his family. He loves to sit up on his hind legs, wiggle his nose and hop. After running away from his family and being sent away by the bunnies, he feels so alone. Is there anyone out there that knows how he feels? Is there any other place for him to call home.

This book was recommended in a comment section about an article of a man that burned some LGBTQ books in Iowa.

Dorr burned David Levithan's "Two Boys Kissing," Suzanne and Max Lang's "Families, Families, Famili
Dana Scott
Bunnybear is an incredible book that teaches a very important lesson for children to understand. The story is about bear who called himself Bunnybear, because though he was a bear, he felt like a bunny on the inside. The other bears were mean to Bunnybear because he was not acting like a bear, so he decided to run away. After the bunnies did not accept him, he met Grizzlybun who was a bunny but felt like a bear. These animals teach the incredible lesson that it is okay to look one way on the out ...more
Jenna Grodzicki
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Bunnybear is a fabulous book about acceptance and being true to one's self. Bunnybear is a bear on the outside, but on the inside he couldn't feel more differently. He believes he is a bunny, but both the bears and the bunnies refuse to accept that. When Bunnybear runs away and meets Grizzlybun, he knows he has found his tribe. Will the other bears ever learn to accept Bunnybear for who he really is? Any child who has ever felt different will relate to this story. The illustrations are beautiful ...more
Sara
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"There once was a bear who was more than a bear..."

This book is AMAZING.

The illustrations are adorable and well-done. I like that they have certain words that are fonted to express a certain emotion. Like, if they yell, the letters are BIG AND SQUIGGLY. I like that.

The overall message is that it's okay to be who you are, even if that doesn't match what others/society thinks you should be. It's about loving yourself and others for who they are.

"You just look one way on the outside and feel anot
Blaine Gerdes
The illustrations in this are amazing, the colors are super bright and inviting to the readers eye. The book is about a bear who bounces through the forest when alone and wasn't like the other bears. He loves his den because he doesn't fit in with the other bears and doesn't feel welcomed there. He tries to fit in with the bunnies because that's what he feels he is but he isn't welcome there either. He finally meets Grizzlybun who is just like him, in the sense that they are both trying to fit i ...more
Elia Basista
Although this book is a simple read, I truly enjoyed it and loved the connection I saw in it. I though this book could be used as a connection to the transgender community. Though is may not have been the authors intentions, I can see how this book can be used in classrooms today as a loose connection. Bunnybear felt more like a bunny than he did bear. Some students may be going through this gender crisis and can heavy relate to this. This is a great book to keep in the classroom as it can heavy ...more
Sierra McCorvey
It is hard to rate any book on acceptance lower than 5 stars. Books like this did not exist while I was growing up. This book on diversity is about a bear who feels different on the inside than what he looks on the outside. It's a book that children who don't quite fit in can relate to. It's a book that encourages finding a supportive community that accepts you for just the way you are; those are your true friends. 10 out of 10; would recommend!
Randi Triantafillou
I enjoyed this story because it expressed a great sense of emotion. This story described how Bunnybear was shaped like a bear but in his heart he felt like a bunny. I think this story is another story that could help a child whom is feeling confused about the way they look and how they feel about their body. None the less this helps students see how they could show their true inner self and be open to the true inner selves of other individuals . By: Randi Triantafillou
Gabriella Bruno
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. I think it is a simple way to show children it is okay to feel like a different person on the inside. It is also okay and safe to express yourself in whatever way you identify. It is important my students know my classroom is a safe place to express yourself. I think this would be a great book for a child who is feeling different than what he or she looks like on the outside.
Rachael Marsceau
May 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
Must the majority of children's books coming out these days be filled with such ridiculous propaganda? *sigh*
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Bunnybear does not fit in with the other bears. He may look like a bear on the outside, but he prefers to bounce, wiggle his nose, and feels “fluffy” rather than ferocious and loud. However, the other bunnies do not see him as a bunny and do not accept him. That is, until he meets Grizzlybun. Grizzlybun looks like a bunny, but feels like a bear in his heart. Bunnybear and Grizzlybun both feel like outsiders, but they end up learning to accept both themselves and each other through their similari ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Snappsy the Alligator (Did Not Ask to Be in This Book)
  • It Feels Good to Be Yourself: A Book About Gender Identity
  • In a Jar
  • 7 Ate 9: The Untold Story
  • Truman
  • Red: A Crayon's Story
  • The Cool Bean (The Bad Seed, #3)
  • A Family Is a Family Is a Family
  • Excellent Ed
  • Fry Bread: A Native American Family Story
  • Saturday
  • Just Because
  • 10,000 Dresses
  • Alien Tomato
Andrea J. Loney grew up in a small town in New Jersey and received her MFA in dramatic writing from New York University. Since then, she has worked various jobs, from screenwriter to toy designer to software trainer, and she even ran away to live with a circus. Today Andrea spends most of her time writing the kind of books that she wishes had been available when she was a child—stories that embrac ...more

News & Interviews