Start by marking “The Careful Undressing of Love” as Want to Read:
The Careful Undressing of Love

The Careful Undressing of Love

Everyone who really knows Brooklyn knows Devonairre Street girls are different. They’re the ones you shouldn’t fall in love with. The ones with the curse. The ones who can get you killed.

Lorna Ryder is a Devonairre Street girl, and for years, paying lip service to the curse has been the small price of living in a neighborhood full of memories of her father, one of the thou
Published January 31st 2017 by Dutton Books for Young Readers

Lord of Shadows by Cassandra ClareKing's Cage by Victoria AveyardCarve the Mark by Veronica RothCaraval by Stephanie GarberFlame in the Mist by Renée Ahdieh
YA Novels of 2017
1,098 books — 8,459 voters
Caraval by Stephanie GarberA Map for Wrecked Girls by Jessica  TaylorOne of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManusThe Thing with Feathers by McCall HoyleEliza and Her Monsters by Francesca Zappia
2017 Releases (YA)
234 books — 199 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of The Careful Undressing of Love
Emily May
Dec 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
I thought living in a small space meant we shared everything. But so much can be hidden even in the most cramped apartment on one of the shortest streets in Brooklyn.
Even love.

This is why magical realism is one of my favourite genres. As with books like The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender, this too captures a unique modern-day fairy tale feeling, set in a recognizable Brooklyn neighbourhood, yet full of magical mystery, curses, and whimsy.

The Careful Undressing of Love paints a
Nat
Dec 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: magical-realism, arc
“Love happens at night,” Angelika says, whispering like it’s a secret some of us might not know. “So we’ll take away the night.”

This was such a quick read, almost impossible to put down. I wasn't sure at first if I would read this, but then without noticing I was twenty pages in and feeling invested, so then I had to keep going. And now here we are.

The Careful Undressing of Love follows the Devonairre Street Girls and their eccentric little community in Brooklyn that has experienced an unusual n
Stacee
I think 2 stars might be too many. I struggled with this book.

I fell in love with the cover and the sort of odd synopsis and I was certain it was going to be my sort of book.

Right off the bat, I was confused. It felt like I had been dropped in the middle of a story. I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be magical realism or a mild dystopia or just old world superstition. And I think that's what lost me...

I didn't really care for any of the characters, so I couldn't connect to them. I thought abo
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
May 28, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. The writing was good, and it kept my interest all the way through. But I felt the ending was a little weak and rushed, and made me wonder what the point of it all was.
Emer (A Little Haze)
I'm done.

I'm just soooo done.

This book drove me insane AND NOT IN A GOOD WAY!!! I have never read a more frustrating storyline with characters that I wanted to smack as hard as I want to smack these characters. I don't know... Maybe it's because I'm too science / practically minded that I couldn't deal with the concept of this *curse*. I mean... Just no. No no, no no, no no NO!!! And I didn't like the handling of the aftermath of this bombing that occurred... This book was set in some sort of
Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner)
Oh my heart. I've just finished The Careful Undressing of Love and yet again I'm in awe of Corey and her beautiful writing. Wow! Delightfully strange & magical. ...more
Kristina Horner
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, dystopian
This was a bizarre book. I really enjoyed it, especially the small hints we got about a somewhat dystopian version of future America, while that was merely an undercurrent of the book.
I love books that play with the space between fantasy and not.
Was the curse real? Was it not?

The only reason I docked the book a star was because I was hoping for a little bit more out of the ending, or possibly a different one entirely. But I think Lorna had to grapple with never having what she wanted, so leavin
 Megan • Reading Books Like a Boss (book blog)

THE CAREFUL UNDRESSING OF LOVE is a haunting, atmospheric, and romantic coming-of-age novel with an interesting twist. Haydu's writing is particularly noteworthy, along with the unique backstory and reimagined version of Brooklyn. If Delirium , Station Eleven , and Practical Magic had a book love child, The Careful Undressing of Love would be it.

I want to start off talking about the plot. I don't do this to spoil anything for you or bore you ad nauseum. I think it's important to wh
Alexa
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Dreamy and eloquent, Corey Ann Haydu's latest novel is as gorgeously written as all her other work. Tackling themes of love and grief, of community and change, it was lovely and it was odd and it was all too compelling to stop turning pages once I had started. While I'm still not certain how I feel about the way it ends, I still very much think this is another book from Haydu that is worth the read (as all of her books are).
Alison
Jul 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to read this book early, and it is spectacular. It's such a gorgeous, incisive look at how beautiful and terrifying and dangerous it is to love another person and the ways in which we contort ourselves to make sense of tragedy, both on a national and personal level. This book cut straight to the heart of a lot of questions I've been pondering about how to move forward in a world that seems completely random and cruel and refuses to play by the rules, no matter how hard you try ...more
Arielle Walker
This is likely to be an unpopular opinion but... I kind of hated this book.

Ok, hear me out.

It lures you in with the most stunning cover (I know, I know: don't judge a book etc etc but come on. Just look at it!), a blurb that promises odd, surreal beauty in the tradition of The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender or Bone Gap, and reviews and recommendations that suggest many readers found this lived up to that promise.

And the writing is quite lovely, when isolated from story and charact
may ➹
2.5 stars.

So. It’s safe to say that I remember pretty much nothing about this book. I don’t even remember what I didn’t like about it?? I think my overall thoughts were that: The characters were annoying, the plot was annoying, the writing voice was weird, and the book was generally just… meh.

- Lorna, the main character, is so annoying?? Her thoughts were irritating too, and she kind of had a really flat personality. Plus there were some *things* she did that were actually WRONG but she thought
Emma
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
"I've been waiting for one thing, but love can be anything."

---

"When there's nothing left to salvage, we have to save ourselves."

Everyone knows that Devonairre Street in Brooklyn is cursed. Being loved by a Devonairre Street girl ends in tragedy. Just look at the number of war widows on the street or the concentration of Affected families left without husbands and fathers after the Times Square Bombing in 2001.

Lorna Ryder and her mother have never put much stock in the curse even though they p
Molly
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Huge thank you to Miss Print's ARC adoption for this review copy

This book was fucking gorgeous. I fell in love with this book at first sight because the cover it just so stunning. I have bookstagrammed it a few times because it is just so beautiful. I actually probably wouldn't have asked for this book if not for the cover and the fact that it's magical realism. I wasn't a huge fan of this author's other books, but I wanted to give it a shot.

The writing in this book is fantastic. It sucks you in
Dahlia
Dreamy and beautiful and lemon-scented and heart-achey.
Jane (It'sJaneLindsey)
Can't assign a star rating right after finishing, so I'll update that once I've had more time to digest what I've read. This book was whimsy and dreamy, but it also took a nosedive straight into "wtf" territory and I can't honestly say I loved the actual events that transpired. The writing and overall feel? Those worked beautifully. But ultimately I'm left feeling pretty exasperated. If you liked We Were Liars (which I decidedly did NOT), then you'll probably love this.
Camryn
Oct 07, 2018 added it
I’m... mad I read this??? What was the conclusion??????????? This was the most depressing thing oh my LORD
rachel
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wow, wow, wow. My goodness. For fans of Laura Ruby's BONE GAP.
Chelsea
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2-star
DNF @ pg 40. This is that metaphorical writing style that feels like it's trying too hard. Reminded me a bit of AS King. Definitely not for me.
Lauren Murray
Apr 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Debbie
Jan 09, 2017 rated it liked it
So many mixed feelings about this book. The prose is gorgeous and full of longing and pain. I felt Lorna's aching heart and grief and resentment because it came through in the language. And the book was extremely compelling - I read it through in one sitting.

But.

This is supposed to take place in some alternate USA where after a horrific bombing at Times Square, the country decides to take "never forget" literally to the point of fetishizing grief. The "Affected" - those who have lost a loved on
Shruthi
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Read the full review here

The Devonairre Street Girls are cursed. Any guy they fall in love with will die. They have thousands of talismans and charms and superstitions (all enforced by Angelika, the streets resident crazy person/collective grandmother figure). The girls never cut their hair, have minutes of silence every Tuesday (for their dead fathers) and never ever fall in love. Until Delilah does. And Jack, the boy she's in love with dies.

The main character of this novel is Lorna, Delilah's
anna
Apr 16, 2017 rated it did not like it
We are LornaCruzCharlotteDelilahIsla and we aren’t afraid of love, even if we’re supposed to be.

notes: ok so The Careful Undressing of Love was too odd for me. i didn't get the traditions, the setting and the point of the story. also!! no progression!! the plot was disappointing too. and i didn't agree with the characters actions (no character growth too), especially at the end. my only positive thought? i liked the writing! it was very whimsical. but you know, everything else is a thumb
Bookevin
Jan 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Full review: https://bookevin.wordpress.com/2017/0...

Initial thoughts:
I don't know what to make of the ending. The book is so mysterious and the writing is engaging as it is poetic, almost lyrical at some parts.

I loved the exploration of the theme of love and the characterisations were solid.

However, I found the story to be quite trippy, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It did take me some time to get used to the setting of the book.
Moonlight Reader
Need to think on this one. More later.
Sana
Aug 20, 2015 marked it as to-read-so-bad-it-hurts
"Any boy they love is certain to die too soon."

HERE FOR THIS AND THAT COVER!
Brittany S.
Feb 26, 2016 marked it as to-read
Shelves: ya, 2017, magical-realism
This description kiiiiinda reminds me of The Raven Cycle. NEED IT.
Alexandria  Ang
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Review coming soon on www.thebooksbuzz.com but wow... JUST WOW. ...more
Jordan
Feb 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Some parts are gloriously awkward in the way that only first love can be. Others are a question, a struggle to define, and a learning process of how to understand and share intimacy in the many ways it presents itself. There are all aspects of love in this book and often it evolves, transforms, and rebuilds after loss, tragedy, and heartache. Sometimes the love you thought you wanted is nothing like you imagined. Sometimes love has a time and place and no matter how hard you fight for it, it’s a ...more
Amy
Holy frijoles there is some flowery language in this bitch.

The first 50% of this book was sloooow. The best part of this portion was hands down the cover. (Which is f'ing gorgeous.)

But the last half really picked up and was quite enjoyable. Honestly, I really didn't think I was going to finish this book and if I did, it was going to be a low rating. So I was surprised to find myself at the 75% mark antsy to keep going.

This book has a nice diverse cast of characters and the curse was pretty i
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Witchlight
  • The She
  • Newes from the Dead
  • The Inside Battle
  • Password to Larkspur Lane (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #10)
  • Undone