Start by marking “What to Say Next” as Want to Read:
What to Say Next

What to Say Next

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  7,661 Ratings  ·  1,407 Reviews
Two struggling teenagers find an unexpected connection just when they need it most.

Sometimes a new perspective is all that is needed to make sense of the world.

KIT: I don’t know why I decide not to sit with Annie and Violet at lunch. It feels like no one here gets what I’m going through. How could they? I don’t even understand.

DAVID: In the 622 days I’ve attended Mapleview
Published July 11th 2017 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about What to Say Next, please sign up.
Meghan I liked Tell Me Three Things better but this one was still great!

emma
I am FURIOUS - DOYOUHEARMEFURIOUS - at how good this book could have been. I am shaking mad. This could have been a five star read. This could have been an all-time-favorite contemporary. It was THISFREAKINGCLOSE. But noooo. It just had to go and ruin itself.

Let me back up. (Picture me sighing for, like, four consecutive minutes or something really ridiculously and worryingly long like that.)

In this book, we follow Kit, a really popular girl whose dad died
C.G. Drews
Wow I am so conflicted right now. I went in a with a biiiit of trepidation because I'd seen some low reviews and the first chapter rang hella warning bells. But then it got good! And then it did the oPPOSITE AND WAS BASICALLY LIKE SPILLING A CHOCOLATE MILKSHAKE ON MYSELF. Also appreciate that metaphor because of the cover, okay? I have done well.

Basically I'm just going to list throw a my thoughts at you and then flee.

LIKES:
• the plot pacing was really good, I just flew through this
• I think the
may ❀
Full Review Posted:

This review is more than a week late, oopsies

Julie Buxbaum has earned a title in my book for ‘auto-buy authors’ bc damn hER BOOKS ARE SO CUTE !!! i feel like im getting diabetes everytime I read them

Not to be sentimental or anything, but Tell Me Three Things went down in my ‘all-time-fav-contemporaries’ bc THAT’S HOW GOOD IT WAS

Her stories aren’t the cheesy cute that makes you want to regurgitate your lunch either (thank goodness for small mercies) but those really poignant,
Christy
4 stars!!

“description"/

When I picked this book up, I didn’t read the blurb. I only saw the cover, knew I had enjoyed the authors past works, and gave it a go. I have to say, the cover doesn’t really match the story. I went in thinking this would be a fun, lighthearted, YA read. Though there were some lighthearted scenes, this definitely wasn’t a ‘light’ book.
“The thing is, sometimes people grow from breaking.”
David and Kit are two characters that forge an unlikely friendship. David is autistic. He’s highl
Lola
Jul 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mental-health, death
This he said/she said contemporary romance story was darker than I expected. I mean look at that cover. Doesn’t it just scream summer fun and lots of sun?

I think it does. What a beauty. Lovely physical appearance aside, WHAT TO SAY NEXT, is a gripping read with serious themes, such as the death of a parent, bullying, mental health and betrayal.

Wasn’t expecting it, right, from the looks of the cover? Oh how we are proven time and time again how looks can be deceiving.

Regardless, I liked this b
Maram
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
if my bby david wants to talk about quantum mechanics, stop everything because he. is. happiness.

<- 4.5 stars -> and my 500th rtc

---

Update: I just realized that my pp matches this book's cover and I low key love it.

What to Say Next seems like a very cute contemporary and perfect for them 🔥 days out here so please don't disappoint me, I'm begging ... also, the cover is making me crave a smoothie 🌞

Buddy read with the grandma that complains too much about the weather
emi
Jan 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommended to emi by: Scrill
3.01/5 stars

"They seem to understand that the world is a big, diverse place, and that different is not the same thing as scary. It’s amazing to me how many people mistake the two."

*whispers* I don’t really remember how to write reviews, as I am so out of practice, so I apologize in advance for its suckiness.

So you may or may not know, I am currently in the Great Slump of 2k17™ aka the Worst Slump to Ever Exist Ever and reading hasn't really been a priority in my life right now, as much as I
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

“You’re saying that on Friday night I have an equal chance of getting vomited on as I do of getting kissed?”

“Welcome to high school.”

So this morning I proposed to Julie Buxbaum via Instagram . . . .

I haven’t heard back, but it’s probably just because we’re in different timezones. I mean, she’s definitely not getting a restraining order, right?

It was my friend AJ’s Review that put What To Say Next on my radar - nearly a year after i
Aj the Ravenous Reader

Some of the most important people who become part of our lives we find during our darkest, saddest hour. It could be a sad thought but I kind of find it really beautiful it makes me want to cry. It’s like what David puts it, the butterfly effect. A single ripple or moment brings us to a certain point in our lives, become part of another person’s life. In this case, a single misstep on the brake led to the accident that took away the life of Kit’s dad leaving her grieving and wanting to
Jaime Arkin
Julie Buxbaum was added to my favorite authors list after reading Tell Me Three Things last year and she solidified her spot on my auto-buy list with What To Say Next.

I’m not exaggerating when I tell you that I could not put this book down. I started and completed it on a trip earlier this year simply because I was so invested in these characters and their stories! I found myself in that awkward spot where you want to hug and guide and protect a literary character and I’m not even sorry about i
Mary Kubica
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I would give this 10 stars if I could. I adore everything Julie Buxbaum writes, but especially this tale of what happens when an autistic boy falls in love with a popular teenage girl whose father has just been killed in a car crash. Both heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time.
Heather 'Bookables'
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
Loved this book! Loved how it focused on an autistic main character as well!
Stacee
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm not sure why I put this one off for so long because it was amazing.

I love love loved Kit and David. They're both going through so much {her dad's death, his autism} and it was easy to settle in and root for them. It was refreshing to have their voices and inner monologues sound so distinguishable. I wanted to jump in and smoosh them both.

Plot wise it's hopeful and funny and heartbreaking and mean. I actually cheered out loud at one scene and read way too much into some things and didn't ev
Alyssa

What to Say Next by Julie Buxbaum
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Publication Date: July 11, 2017
Rating: 4 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

Sometimes a new perspective is all that is needed to make sense of the world.

DAVID: In the 622 days I’ve attend
Sana
3.5

this was cute but meh. i loved the diversity and romance. my only complaint is that the beginning was a struggle and it took a while for me to get into this.
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤
“What are we going to do with you?” she asks, and my stomach clenches. Freshman year, when I would find myself in trouble at school on a biweekly basis, Principal Hoch would pose this question, which is both idiomatic and rhetorical. What are we going to do with you? Like I was a group project.
Just once I’d like the answer to be: nothing.
Just once I’d like the answer to be: You are just fine as is.
Just once I’d like the question not to be asked in the first place.

Not so long ago I read and
Dilinna
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
DNF @ 60% because i couldnt bear it anymore! i absolutely love this particular troupe and was so excited to read this but I felt soo disconnected from the characters...i couldnt feel their pain or anything! Everyone except the H annoyed me. Lets not even go to the h 😒😒😒. Nah jst nah. Found it super hard to even root for the h. The story to me is jst all over the place. I knw i am part of the minority with this one but i jst couldnt get into the story
Myrna
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Goodreads giveaway win! Thank you Goodreads!

An inspirational story about Kit’s friendship with David, a high school peer with Aspergers, born out of tragedy. I felt the author captured David and Kit so well. She wrote from their two perspectives so you have a deeper feel for the story. It was uncomfortable to read at times with deep themes but worth the read. Cute, romantic, and sad story I recommend if you like this genre.
Don't let the bright and simple cover art on this book fool you. What to Say Next will make you feel. I was caught off guard by how heavy this story was: Death, grief, bullying, peer and family drama...but also humor and treading in the territory of first love (or at least first kiss). Sigh.

I laughed and I cried. The audiobook narration of the female lead character: Kit was phenomenal, especially during her instances of emotional stress. Personally, I don't enjoy reading about bullying in my le
Fafa's Book Corner
Mini review:

DNF

I have read the authors other book Tell me Three Things. I didn't enjoy that book. But once I heard that one of the main characters was on the spectrum I decided to read it. Unfortunately it didn't work for me.

I liked reading about David. He was sweet and well written. It was Kit that I had the problem with. Something about the way she thought was rude and immature. Kit constantly mentions that it surprises her that David doesn't make an effort to 'act normal'. Not everybody car
Scrill
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"I realize we all walk around pretending we have some control over our fate, because to recognize the truth – that no matter what we do, the bottom will fall out when we least expect it - is just too unbearable to live with."

My first thought after reading What to Say Next was this: Kasie West, move over. I think West has dominated as my favorite author for YA contemporary (partly because she pumps out books so quickly) However, Buxbaum is fast on her way to being my new favorite. Tell Me Three
Prabh⚔
May 10, 2017 marked it as to-read
Y'all. I just realised something and this is highly personal and emotional to me.

2017 is looking like such a good year for releases in terms of diversity (and everything sounds so interesting lol)

Anyway, I always feel horrible because I as an Indian, am never in YA books. Really, I read for enjoyment and all, but I always feel sad that I cannot connect with a character on that much of a personal level since they don't know the issues which I am facing.

When Dimple Met Rishi is one of my top antic
Norah Una Sumner

I feel like this cover easily fooled 99% of the readers and made them think this is a fluffy summer read. Nope, not even close.

The dialogue was really funny and interesting, I loved reading the conversations between David and Kit and the way their relationship develops throughout the book. I even liked the supporting characters, especially Kit's friends and David's sister. The storyline was really interesting and I loved reading from both David's and Kat's point of view. What kind of do
Jaya
3.5-go-team-David-stars!
Zainab Shah
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cute-ya
I can not stop gushing over this hell of a book!
The story includes everything a contemporary novel should which is why I loved it and I just adored David's character so freaking much!! <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3 (this was me trying to say how much I loved David's character)
Also if you liked All The Bright Places you'll love this one though the story line is obviously a bit different.
katwiththehat
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-n
This was a short and sweet romance between Kit and David. Similarly to Julie Buxbaum's "Tell Me Three Things," Kit is dealing with the recent loss of a parent, and how that is affecting her changed perspective on life. I enjoyed Kit's character, but particularly David's, who deals with being neuroatypical by keeping a journal of "rules" of how to survive high school and notes on his classmates--who can be trusted and who can't, when a comment should be interpreted as safe and when it's someone t ...more
Merphy Napier
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is in the top three books I've read in my life.

This book meant so much to me, it was so emotional, so sweet, and so encouraging. I honestly feel like I've grown as a person while reading this. I NEED more people to read it!!

David's sister is my fav.
*TANYA*
A very endearing heartbreaking book!!! This book was very emotional both good and bad. I loved it from beginning to end. I need a follow up, the college years. Hahaha.
Krista Regester
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
What to Say Next has the potential to make you laugh, cry, and think. Kit and David are both lost for very different reasons but somehow find solitude in each other. This is not an easygoing, cutesy, boy/girl, rom-com, and I appreciate that. The struggle is damn real.

Julie Buxbaum admits that this is a personal favorite of her novels, because of the voices she was able to create with it. She writes a beautiful author’s note at the end of the book that is definitely worth reading.
IRP #6 1 4 Mar 08, 2018 01:38PM
UCAS English 10 H...: August Novel Assignment 3 13 Nov 24, 2017 07:03PM
52 weeks, 52 books: Week 2017.28: What to Say Next 2 39 Oct 20, 2017 05:05PM
YA Reads for Teac...: * September 2017 - Hot Off the Press - What to Say Next by Julie Buxbaum 29 71 Oct 06, 2017 03:38PM
Young Adult Conte...: #34 What to Say Next by Julie Buxbaum 1 9 Aug 28, 2017 04:25PM
Please check out my two novels, THE OPPOSITE OF LOVE and AFTER YOU, both now out in paperback. My first YA novel, TELL ME THREE THINGS, debuts April 2016.

Please check out my website www.juliebuxbaum.com for more information about my books.

Or to follow my recent shenanigans, please check out my blog, JULIE HAS WRITER'S BLOG, at www.juliebuxbaum.com/blog/

One of my favorite things about being a novel
More about Julie Buxbaum

Young Adult Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Night Divided
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Replacement Crush
    $5.99 $0.00
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Conjure (Hoodoo Apprentice)
    $5.99 $0.00
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Slow Dance in Purgatory (Purgatory, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Leave Myself Behind
    $15.99 $1.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Chemistry Lessons
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
“What if we all jumped out of our boxes and chewed up our stupid labels? Who would we discover?” 8 likes
“And now that I've been exposed to this feeling, perfect mouth against perfect mouth, the natural order of things, I wonder why people don't kiss all day, every day. How does anything ever get done?” 8 likes