Start by marking “These Ruthless Deeds (These Vicious Masks, #2)” as Want to Read:
These Ruthless Deeds (These Vicious Masks, #2)

These Ruthless Deeds

(These Vicious Masks #2)

England, 1883. Still recovering from a devastating loss, Evelyn is determined to use her powers to save other gifted people from those who would harm them. But when her rescue of a young telekinetic girl goes terribly wrong, Evelyn finds herself indebted to a secret society devoted to recruiting and protecting people like Evelyn and her friends.

As she follows the Society’s
Published March 14th 2017 by Swoon Reads

To ask other readers questions about These Ruthless Deeds, please sign up.
Kelly Hello! Thank you for being excited! We are too. This will be a trilogy, so one more after These Ruthless Deeds!
Kelly Hello! There is one more book to complete the trilogy and while there is not an official release date yet, winter 2018 is likely!

Start your review of These Ruthless Deeds (These Vicious Masks, #2)
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
"Mr. Kent never hid his worse qualities. He wore them like badges."

Holy crap. I did not expect to love this so much. I mean wow.. if you haven't tried this series... you're missing out.

Basically if you're a fan of any of the following, you need to pick this up:

1. Historical fiction with a magic twist
2. A touch of Steampunk
3. Hilarious and vibrant characters
4. Humor and wit woven into every page
5. A loveable and flawed MC (seriously, Evelyn has to be an all time favorite MC for me
Nastassja

Actual rating: 4.5 stars

This book was such a roller coaster of emotions! From cold to warm, from happy to bitter, from laughter to tears. The authors definitely know how to manipulate readers' emotions. Evil geniuses. Love them!

Before I start the actual review, here's recap of These Vicious Masks, book 1 in case you've forgotten something from the previous installment. Kelly Zekas has written it and it's such a fun to remember the book with her!

The plot. These Ruthless Deeds start right after b

Rebekah
This is such an awesome series and I'm loving it! We pick up where we left off, which is so helpful and I love when authors do that. We start with Evelyn and her new found power, plus some friends with their own powers, trying to seek out other who may be struggling or hiding due to their own powers. Especially find and save them before the Society of Aberrations does. And the only way to take down the Society is to find out who is at it's head and chop it off.

Well when the Society finds THEM an

Stacee
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was a huge fan of the first book and I was stupid excited to get to this one.

I've loved Evelyn from the beginning. She's sassy and stubborn and it's so much fun to be in her head. There's huge cast of characters this time and while I did lose track of who was who {excluding the core group}, it was still enjoyable reading everyone's powers in action.

The plot is fast paced and there are lots of action scenes. The ending is exasperating and satisfying and absolutely maddening. I need book 3 RTF
Alyssa
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017-releases
Okie I rounded down so it's 2 stars now. o_o Believe me when I say that I am just as disappointed as you are.

Ehhhhhhh. Boring, frustrating, and quite the unnecessarily brutal ending?

***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

Summary (from Goodreads):

England, 1883. Still recovering from a devastating loss
Fafa's Book Corner
May 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
Review posted on Fafa's Book Corner!

Beware spoilers ahead!

This book was such a disappointment. I really enjoyed the first book in this series. It was fun, exciting, and entertaining. I was looking forward to finding out more about this world and the characters. Unfortunately this book surfers middle book syndrome.

Evelyn and crew end up joining the society of aberrations. They discover more secrets and such. First of I honestly don't understand why Evelyn joined the society in the first place
mith
update: you can read my review here! i'll be posting here soon enough.
---
I actually... I actually didn't like this book, and oh, how I wanted to. I really liked the first one--it was close to being one of my favourite reads, or, in the least, an honourable mention, for last year--and I was over the moon when I'd gotten accepted for this. How could I not? Secret societies! More mystery! More danger! More funny antics and banter!

But it just... It fell so flat.

One of the more annoying things was
Suzanne
Sep 09, 2017 rated it liked it
I found These Ruthless Deeds is good but not great like These Vicious Masks was. The first book of the trilogy was a five star review for me. However, this was intriguing and had the humor from the first book that I absolutely loved. I am excited for the final book of the trilogy to come!
Kris Mauna
"Please allow us to welcome you to the Society of Aberrations."

I loved These Vicious Masks, but I FRICKEN LOVED These Ruthless Deeds.
So, I actually wrote a somewhat well-written review on Bookstacked already.. If you don't want to read all my fangirl thoughts right now then check that out instead!
Now let's get to the fun - no spoilers! ;)

I highly recommend re-reading These Vicious Masks beforehand or checking out Kelly's recap because the story begins right where the last book left off. Evel
Lauren Stoolfire
These Ruthless Deeds is a fantastic sequel to 2016's excellent debut, These Vicious Masks. It's, dare I say, even better than the first book of the series! I loved getting to see everyone and their powers in action, plus that witty banter amongst the main cast. Tarun Shanker and Kelly Zekas really take it up to eleven and after that ending I'm pretty sure I'm dying (for book three, These Vengeful Souls)! At least, I won't have to wait too long since it's due out February 20th, 2018. If you like ...more
Kerri
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I stayed up into the early morning hours just to stuff my brain full of this magnificent world and (silk) layered characters. THESE RUTHLESS DEEDS is an incredible sophomore novel filled with intrigue, action, soaring magic and plenty of swoons. I am eagerly awaiting the next installment!
Allison
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Soooooooooooo.......this is even better than These Vicious Masks....?

More action, more superpowers, a more diverse cast (very nice to see), lots of blood (I felt like there was so SO much blood and also a ton of broken bones :D), and more kissing, kind of? Shirtsleeves! More shirtsleeves! And tempting swathes of Victorian man-skin!

Longer review over the weekend!
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
4.5

As I’ve been doing with most books lately, I reread These Vicious Masks before embarking on the sequel. I was again impressed with the humor, the characterization, and the fast-paced sheer fun of the plot. All of those wonderful elements appear in spades in These Ruthless Deeds too, only, you know, turned up to ELEVEN, with an even more intense and shocking conclusion that left me in shock.

One of my other favorite current series, Lady Helen, has a similar-ish set up; both are historical fanta
Nouf *LostinFantasy*
Actual rating: 4.5/5 stars. (Rounded down to 4 Goodreads stars - which means I still love it a lot! ;) )

“I would do terrible things for the ones I love, Miss Wyndham.”

I think I wrote my first Goodreads review for the first book in this trilogy, These Vicious Masks (yay for me completing a year of writing reviews!). That book got me out of a reading slump, and was just all around a fun ride with its charm, humor, surprises, and wonderful characters.

A year later now, and I can say
Shelley
*Source* Publisher
*Genre* Young Adult, Fantasy
*Rating* 4.0

*My Thoughts*

These Ruthless Deeds is the second installment in the These Vicious Masks series by the dynamic duo Tarun Shanker & Kelly Zekas. The story picks up shortly after the end of These Vicious Masks. Protagonist Evelyn Wyndham has thrown herself into trying to help others after a heart breaking loss. Others who have the power of telekinesis, and a variety of other powers that would make the X-Men sit up and take notice.

*Full Revie
Hailee (haibooklovers)
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: blog-reviews, ya
Actual Rating: 4.5/5 stars

Full review up on the blog!

Let me tell you how much I loved this book: SO MUCH. Like its predecessor, These Ruthless Deeds is more plot-driven than character-driven. Not usually my jam, but these books make it work! The series had been pitched to me as a sort of cross between X-Men and Jane Austen, and it’s wildly accurate. Except I've never seen an X-Men movie or read any of the comic books...so, I'm not an expert. No judging me.

Superpowers, academies for said superp
Tricia Levenseller
Apr 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: high-fantasy
These books are so fantastic. The dialogue is so enjoyable, and I love the X-Men feeling this whole series possesses. Historical fantasy is my favorite genre, and Shanker and Zekas do it so well!
Sophie
I received an Advance Reader Copy from the publisher via NetGalley. This in no way impacted on my view.

These Vicious Masks was one of my favourite debuts from 2016, and I was overjoyed when I both won a copy of the sequel, and was approved for an advance copy via NetGalley. In These Ruthless Deeds, Evelyn is coming to terms with the death of her sister Rose, and also her new tangled powers of healing people. She has joined forces with The Society, a group of other gifted people, and she now has
Cindy ✩☽♔
Jun 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Alright I did not see that ending coming...one of the many reasons I adore this series =D

*Detailed Review to Come*
Rê
description

3.5 “I’ll take a Mr. Kent, please” Stars

ARC via NetGalley.

Thank you, Swoon Reads.

After enjoying These Vicious Masks, I jumped right into These Ruthless Deeds to follow Evelyn, Mr. Kent and Mr. Braddock to their next adventure. At first, I had to keep myself entertained with only Evelyn—not that this was a problem because Evelyn is strong and funny enough to keep the story interesting—but as soon as Mr. Kent came back into scene I remembered why I liked this story so much.

Sure, the whole X-Men a
Monique V
Apr 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What is this pain inside my chest!??? WELL THAT IS WHAT IS LEFT OF MY HEART AFTER THIS BOOK

I liked the first book but I LOVED This one. We get all our favorite characters from the first book back for new adventures, plus a lot of new characters. Some you will hate others you will love, but they all add to the plot and they made this world feel so large.

So many things happen in this book! After this book I feel like the authors can write a lot of books in this series. They set up a lot plot lin

Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
An advance copy of this title was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. My thoughts are my own. This review can also be found at The Starry-Eyed Revue.

I absolutely adored the first book in this series, so I was beyond excited to start reading These Ruthless Deeds. And it was a pretty great sequel, if not but a little predictable.

Here's the thing: the prologue made things so obvious to me. I like when a prologue teases things to come, but I still want to be relatively surpri
Cassie-la
Mar 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-reads
ORIGINALLY POSTED: https://bibliomantics.com/2017/04/09/...

The follow up to last year’s X-Men/Jane Austen novel These Vicious Masks suffers slightly from second book syndrome, with totally expected twists, obnoxious new characters and the heroine choosing the wrong boy in her love triangle. Despite these problems however, These Ruthless Deeds more than makes up for them with that shocking ending.
Wanderlust_Wanz
For the record, I would choose Mr Kent over Sebastian any minute;)
Erin
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-read, arc, netgalley
I love these books!! While still a lot of fun, this one was also much darker, loved that. I also hope it's safe to assume we can expect a third book ... ...more
loise✨
I absolutely enjoyed These Vicious Masks and it baffles me that I wasn't as emotionally invested in this one as I was in the first book. I mean, the plot is actually good, predictable but still good. (view spoiler) And there's Mr. Kent, which I ADORED in this book. He's my sunshine, I love him. Although, I'm officially Team Braddock, I really appreciate the authors doing Mr. Kent the right kind of justice his role deserves. See, you ...more
Dawnie
Aug 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paperbacks
This is such a fasted paced and fun series.
I love the mixture of supernatural and victorian setting and how each character is so very clearly their own person.
I love how the authors thought out which character should get which powers because at least to me it does seem to fit the characteristics of the person quiet well and that makes it even more fun to read about.

Also it always surprises me how well the mystery aspects are woven into the story and while some things are quiet clear others ar
Kelli Spear
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: best-of-2017
I have to admit that I'm truly becoming obsessed with this series. The writing is humorous and brilliant. The characters are all perfection. And this installment was a step above book one. I loved it.

We pick up where we left off. Evelyn and company are searching for new gifted people to accrue. Her plan to help save the world to honor her sister's wishes is in action. But a wrench is thrown into their plans when they run into the previously mentioned (and thought to be evil) Society of Aberrati

• Duels & Deception
  • The Fire in the Glass
  • Love, Lies and Spies
  • The Dark Days Deceit (Lady Helen, #3)
  • The Dark Days Pact (Lady Helen, #2)
  • Beyond a Darkened Shore
  • Heart of Dragons (Chronicles of Pelenor, #1)
  • Lion Heart (Scarlet, #3)
  • Suitors and Sabotage
  • Lady Thief (Scarlet, #2)
  • Carols and Chaos
  • The Hummingbird Dagger
  • Siren's Fury (Storm Siren, #2)
  • Empire of Night (Age of Legends, #2)
  • Siren's Song (Storm Siren, #3)
  • The Dark Days Club (Lady Helen, #1)
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy, #1)
  • The Lady Rogue
See top shelves…
Tarun Shanker is a mild-mannered assistant by day and a milder-mannered writer by night, currently living in Boston. His idea of paradise is a place where kung-fu movies are projected on clouds, soul music fills the air and chai flows freely from the fountains. He is the co-author of the These Vicious Masks trilogy with Kelly Zekas.

These Vicious Masks (3 books)
  • These Vicious Masks (These Vicious Masks, #1)
  • These Vengeful Souls (These Vicious Masks, #3)