Start by marking “The Brothers Jetstream: Leviathan” as Want to Read:
The Brothers Jetstream: Leviathan

The Brothers Jetstream: Leviathan

“Take Buckaroo Banzai, Hellblazer and Barbarella, turn it into the 80s cartoon of your childhood dreams, and fast forward to right here, right now. If that sounds too much like a virgin version of your favourite cocktail, don't despair. This is a grown-up pleasure: Funny, sly, clever, and warm.” ~ Kelly Robson

Two brothers. Their crew. One planet. Way too many evils. Plus
Published February 28th 2016 by Obsidian Sky (first published July 10th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Brothers Jetstream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Brothers Jetstream

Zig Claybourne
Aug 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
This book rocks on so many levels I need M C Escher's guide dog. I wrote it. I get to say that. I never lie.
Kelly Robson
Oct 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adored The Brothers Jetstream: Leviathan with every bit of my black, black heart. Milo and Ramses Jetstream are the heroes we deserve: 80s super-cool blended with 21st Century ultra-cool, strapped with lashings of mysticism and unexpected plot twists.

Best of all: the humor. This is one of the funniest and most unpredictable books I've ever read. Just when you think the author is going to take something formula out of his pocket, he takes a 180 degree turn into further coolness, or chilled-out
Aubri
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
10 books, at least, in one-- Zig Zag Claybourne's imaginative ability to synthesize pop culture into new ideas while simultaneously providing incisive commentary on the state of our world is staggering.
Daniel Berryhill
A message the world needs in a brilliant, sexy, and fun package. Effortlessly cool characters show us what it means to live. To live is to create, and to create is to live. There are those who want it to be otherwise, and we have to fight the only way we know how.
If the X-Men woke up in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy version of a mystical kung-fu movie and it somehow wasn't as terrible as that sounds, you'd have The Brothers Jetstream: Leviathan.

The Short: This is one of the most innovati
Natix
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had a lot of trouble getting into the book. The beginning drops you in in a way that made me stop several times and check if there was supposed to be a book before it. It jumped around a lot at first and introduced characters so quickly I had a hard time keeping up.

Once it got going however, within a few chapters, I really found myself enjoying it. The style flows very fast, so it is easy to get a little lost sometimes, but there is enough context to catch back up. It slows down enough for you
Michael
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Have you ever been eating an amazing dessert, one so good that you initially gobble it down, spoon after spoon, but soon realize that it will be done soon, so you start taking smaller and smaller bites in an effort to draw out the wonderful experience? That's why it took me so long to finish The Brothers Jetstream: Leviathan.

A few years ago I saw the author do something amazing at a reading. Rather than read a few selected portions of his novel, he asked the audience to call out numbers. He then
FanFiAddict
SPFBO read #5 of 5.

I don't really know where to start with this review, other than The Brothers Jetstream: Leviathan felt like a poor man's Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. There is so much absurdity going on that, unless you cling to each and every written word, you will be lost without any hope of finding your way back through the wormhole. Never have I been so confused as I was after reading this novel. As you can see (those of you on GR), I finished 4 days ago and still can
Helena
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
I really really wanted to love this book, and I somehow made it through the whole thing, but never once was I sure what was actually going on. That probably says more about me than about the book, and is likely my own fault, but even at the end, I still had no idea what had happened at any point or what the main point of the story was. I did find myself laughing out loud about once every 20 pages, and it really is full of very amusing quips and puns, but the story was so clouded for me that in t ...more
Tim Niederriter
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Challenging, Brilliant, Rewarding

This book is beautiful and chaotic. It is a book filled with characters that both add to the fun, and sometimes the confusion.
The voice of this story is fun and gonzo as all hell. Language here reminds me of a cross between Douglas Adams and Neal Stephenson. I consider that a compliment, but it adds to the challenge of reading.
The theme is strong with this one.
I love the portrayal of the eponymous giant whale. All in all a very satisfying, if often difficult, boo
Jeremy Brett
Dec 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a truly wild ride. It's a wonderful stew with so many disparate and exciting elements thrown in to create a truly unpredictable adventure. It moves left when you think it'll move right, it zigs when you think it'll zag, and it soars when you think it'll walk. I've rarely read a novel in which so much happens, and yet the book never feels overstuffed or too much to handle.
Emmy Jackson
May 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Packed beyond bursting with tilt-shifted mysticism, kung fu and schemes within schemes, this book reads like a dance with a partner who's far, far better than you, but relaxed and skilled enough to have fun in spite of your ineptness and make you look good in the process.
Jen Haeger
If you like Terry Pratchett, you will love this book. :)
Leah Rachel von Essen
The Brothers Jetstream: Leviathan by Zig Zag Claybourne is strange, wild, and difficult to describe. The style is quick and rapid-humor. It’s hard to get into at first because it jumps right in—the action is relentless—which is also the reason it reads so quickly.

This book has its issues, from the almost-constant objectification of the (still badass) female characters of the novel to the fact that it could almost definitely be several dozen pages shorter by skipping some of the much-less-necessa
Freyja
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of my favourite books- Zig Zag earns his name with his quick and punchy writing style reminiscent of Douglas Adams. If you like memorable characters that stand out and one-liners that glow beyond the page, this one is one of the best. It's not a fast read - it starts off running so fast you'll wonder if it's a sequel (it's not) and you'll want to reread every page as you go to make sure you don't miss the action or the subtext or any delicious phrase. For those who can keep up, Leviathan doe ...more
Nightwing
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It was, hmmm, interesting. It was similar to Buckaroo Banzai. With maybe a touch too much of Vonnegut perhaps? Definitely, though what I got was a whole lot of the flavor of Cat Valente’s newest book, Space Opera. If you have enjoyed any of those, you will probably find it “right up your alley”. If not, perhaps you should give it a try anyway- broaden your horizons!
R.W.W. Greene
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If Kurt Vonnegut, Black Dynamite, and Bootsy Collins had a baby together, and that baby watched "Supernatural" and read "American Gods" ... and decided it could do a lot better, it might have turned out something like this book. Bad-ass, funky fun all the way down. A great read.
Stefanie
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A unique piece of urban fiction that surprises and delights. I was a big fan of the pop culture and music references throughout the book. I plan to write a detailed spoiler free review for my blog.
Jay Palat
Michael Cammarata
Dec 07, 2018
Sean Jackson
Sep 13, 2017
Zig Zag Claybourne (also known as C.E. Young) wishes he’d grown up with the powers of either Gary Mitchell or Charlie X but without the Kirk confrontations. (Anybody not getting that Star Trek reference gets their sci fi cred docked 3 points.)