Start by marking “The Lost Child of Lychford (Lychford, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Lost Child of Lychford (Lychford, #2)

The Lost Child of Lychford (Lychford #2)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  956 Ratings  ·  125 Reviews

A finalist for the 2017 Locus Award for Best Novella!

It’s December in the English village of Lychford – the first Christmas since an evil conglomerate tried to force open the borders between our world and… another.

Which means it’s Lizzie’s first Christmas as Reverend of St. Martin’s. Which means more stress, more expectation, more scrutiny by the congregation. Which means…

Published November 1st 2016 by Tor.com

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Child of Lychford, please sign up.
Raj There are three books set in this universe so far (this isn't the first, that is "Witches of Lychford". I don't know if any more are planned, but…moreThere are three books set in this universe so far (this isn't the first, that is "Witches of Lychford". I don't know if any more are planned, but certainly the first two (the ones I've read so far) are entirely self-contained stories, so are satisfying in their own right. In saying that, I would still read them in order, as this contains references from the first, but both end satisfactorily.(less)

Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
Unfortunately I didn't like this book as much as the first one. I'm not planning on continuing the series!
Lindsay
Nov 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Lizzie, Autumn and Judith are back to defend Lychford from another attack by demonic forces. As she prepares for Christmas, Lizzie begins to see the ghost of a young boy who seems utterly lost and when she investigates Judith realizes that the two are somehow linked.

This series continues well with a strongly Christian influence and slant, which is interesting given the occult and mythic angles. It will be interesting to see where Paul takes this.
Amanda
Nov 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
I absolutely love this novella series. 3 strong women, a small town, some fairy neighbors. What could go wrong :) can't wait for the next one.
Robyn
Nov 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
This was another excellent instalment in Cornell's novella series. By turns terrifying and heartwarming, and although supernatural, manages to perfectly capture small town/village English life in neat little slices.
Nikki
Received to review via Netgalley

I was a little worried I wouldn’t remember enough about the first novella to follow all of this, but I quickly cottoned on again. The characters were fairly memorable, after all, particularly Judith — her cantankerous practicality was as fun and refreshing this time round as last. I felt like that character had a little less screen time, so to speak, while the Reverend Lizzie had more, but it did make sense in the context of the story — Lizzie is really the key fi
Denise
Nov 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
A bit of horror, a wee romance, friendships, ghosts and witches. What's not to like?!
Brendon Schrodinger
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
It was quite easy to jump into the second Lychford novella, and it was of a higher quality than the first. More refined, and some great fantasy elements. It is also set during Christmas, so it was getting me into the Christmas spirit, albeit a wintery one for a Southern Hemisphere dweller.

Lizzie, reverend of Lychford and also a witch of sorts, see the ghost of a child one morning in her church. The ghost has a plea, and Lizzie, Autumn and Judith, the three Lychford witches must solve a Christmas
Sarah Anne
Nov 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: author-man, suspense
Oh dear, that was quite suspenseful. I was reading at Mach 3 because I absolutely had to know how it ended. My eyes were probably as round as saucers ;)
MarytheBookLover
My Opinion:
I won this from a goodreads giveaway. It in no way impacted this review.
I liked this book, but, felt all along that I was missing the back story. It can stand alone as a book, but, I would have prefered to read the first in the series beforehand.
The book flowed nicely and it had enough intrigue to keep you reading and turning the pages. Which was a big plus for me. I sometimes can not get through a book because it is just, blah. But, this one is full of turns. I won't say twist cause
DarkChaplain
Review also published here

The Lost Child of Lychford arrived in my mailbox a few months back, and since I had already planned on reading Witches of Lychford anyway, I figured this was worth reading and reviewing. With all the setup done in Witches, I ended up loving The Lost Child of Lychford more than I did its predecessor. Not only does it fix some of the complaints I had about the previous book, but it also turned into something genuinely creepy.

My biggest disappointment with Witches has
Helen
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read in one sitting; excellent fun.
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Oct 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2016
I'm impressed, and I definitely must find myself a copy of Witches of Lychford to read. I found the cover and blurb tempting and, despite having not read Witches of Lychford (how I have missed it is the question) did I find myself quickly engrossed in this book. It's a short story, but it manages to contain a lot of action, humor and some paranormal things like an unhappy little boy apparition. Personally, I just love the love portion part of the story. It gave the story a hilarious aspect.

This
Trelawn
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow, just wow. I read this in one sitting because, well, how could I not? The three witches we are introduced to in The Witches of Lychford are once again called upon to fight dark forces messing with the boundaries of the town and threatening to destroy Christmas. For such a short book, Paul Cornell has this jam packed with action without it feeling forced or rushed. I really hope he continues with this series.
Paul
Dec 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Quirky and fun. A very interesting story with a Christmas setting.
The trio of witches built up a great chemistry through the first installment and it carries well here.
Imaginative in many ways , although a few steps in the plot seemed a little easy.
It had the feel of a good Christmas special on TV
Booniss
Oct 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's Christmastime, and Reverend Lizzie has more than enough on her festive plate when what looks like the ghost of a small boy appears to her asking for help. She immediately calls on her friends Autumn and Judith, who helped her in defeat the evil corporation in Witches of Lychford.

I really love this series; there's a very English cosiness to the rural village setting, which blends surprisingly well with supernatural forces of evil - rather like the way the local reverend Lizzie is able to be
Odo
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, ebook, own
4.5/5.0
AdiTurbo
Jan 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Sadly not as good as the first one, but still an enjoyable story.
Donna
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lizzie, Lychford's reverend, finds her Christmas upset by the arrival of a boy's ghost and a questionable couple who want to be married on Christmas Eve.

This novella includes the three women from the first in the series - Judith, Autumn, and Lizzie, with Lizzie having more focus here The three pull together to try and stop evil from breaking the barrier to our world. I didn't like this one quite as much as the first one, but I'll still definitely be reading the next. The fact that it's set at Ch
David Harris
Nov 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm grateful to the publisher for an advance copy via NetGalley

I am NOT Paul Cornell. Like him, however, I am married to a Church of England priest and live in a small community in Southern England. So I am loving this series (see here for review of The Witches of Lychford) as much for its depiction of the joys and frustrations of life in such a community, as for the supernatural spooky stuff.

The supernatural, spooky stuff is, is though, magnificently done, truly eerie and frightening. Lychford
Alexandra
Jul 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
On sale 22 November 2016 from Tor.com. Sent to me by the publisher at no cost.

Previously in Lychford, three women discovered that Bad Things were going down in both a spiritual and literal sense in their village. Together, they managed.

Now, it's some time later... in fact, it's Christmas. So you just know something bad is going to happen. Lizzie is the pastor and she's relatively settled; Autumn is still running her magic shop and she's taken on Judith, ostensibly as her shop assistant but actua
Shelly
Oct 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016-release
I read the first book in the series called Witches of Lychford and enjoyed it very much. This one wasn't as good. I was halfway through the novella before it got interesting. Overall, the story was okay, a solid 3 stars, but nothing special. Because the first book was very good and the second book did pick up in the second half, I would read a third book in this series.

(I received this from NetGalley for an honest review.)
KA
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Is horror supposed to be this funny? Especially Lizzie, the vicar. We have similar thoughts about popular Christmas music and the extra numbers who show up in church on Christmas Eve.

Some favorite lines: "She waited for the other shoe to drop, but as always with Finn, it failed to. It was like he only wore one shoe."

" 'And you don’t get proper Christmas Number Ones these days,' she said. 'Just whoever’s won the bloody X Factor.' Judith looked at her and blinked like a tortoise. 'What does that h
Jim Collins
I didn't like The Lost Child of Lychford nearly as well as its predecessor. It seemed to have more of a tone of horror, with the humor centered around a bad Christmas song. It was pretty obvious what was going on once we started talking about statues. I guess each of our three heroines made some contribution toward the resolution, but overall it wasn't nearly as much fun as Witches. Perhaps I enjoyed Witches so much that my expectations were too high.
Soorya
Feb 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The leading ladies carry the story here, just like in the previous entry. I particularly enjoyed a hysterically funny sequence near the middle where things start going comically wrong for Liz and Autumn. However I was kinda disappointed by the villains - they're just cookie-cutter Big Bads and felt like an afterthought by the end.

3.5 stars, rounded up because I really liked the middle bits.
Jaleenajo
Jan 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
Mark
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
another excellent book in this series, only problem with these are that they are too short.
Boneist
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Again, I wish this had been longer; I really like the world building and main characters. I'd love to spend longer in their company!
Melani
The Lost Child of Lychford is the sequel to The Witches of Lychford, and I don’t think it’s gonna make much sense if you haven’t read the first one. However, it’s a nice little addition to the world Cornell has created and I enjoyed it. I will be keeping my eyes on further books in this series/world and I’ll definitely check out Cornell’s other books.

As it was established in the first book, Lychford is an important town located at the crossroads of many worlds. The boundaries of the town create
beentsy
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Super fun book. I really like these characters and am looking forward to more of their stories.
Miriam Joy
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was a big fan of these characters in the first book and sad that it was so short, so when the opportunity arose to get this one from NetGalley, I leapt at the chance.

Paul Cornell has definitely mastered the short novel -- I'm not sure if it's short enough to count as a novella -- in a way that many writers frustratingly fail to do. While I'm left hungry for more, the book itself doesn't feel incomplete or rushed, and it reads like it's been given the time it needed to be told. I've read a few
Paul Cornell is a British writer of science fiction and fantasy prose, comics and television. He's been Hugo Award-nominated for all three media, and has won the BSFA Award for his short fiction, and the Eagle Award for his comics. He's the writer of Saucer Country for Vertigo, Demon Knights for DC, and has written for the Doctor Who TV series. His new urban fantasy novel is London Falling, out fr ...more
More about Paul Cornell

Lychford (3 books)
  • Witches of Lychford (Lychford, #1)
  • A Long Day in Lychford (Lychford, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Paradise Lost (The Vampire Diaries; Evensong, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Obsidian Curse (A Stacy Justice Mystery #5)
  • A History of Glitter and Blood
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Oz Reimagined: New Tales from the Emerald City and Beyond
  • The Song of Achilles
    $11.74 $1.99
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Black Tuesday (Time Patrol)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Rogue Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #3)
  • Cloaked in Red
  • Warrior's Revenge
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Fire and Bone (Otherborn, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Pale Queen Rising (Pale Queen, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Emerald Isle (A Stacy Justice Mystery #4)
  • The Elven
  • Children of the New World
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Romeo Catchers (The Casquette Girls #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Hunt (Disrupted Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Last Girl (The Dominion Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Quantum Thief (The Jean le Flambeur Series, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Starship Grifters (Rex Nihilo #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fields of Fire (Frontlines, #5)
  • The Country of Ice Cream Star
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Cottingley Secret
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Blood Gamble (Disrupted Magic, #2)
  • The Curiosity
  • Virtual Light
    $7.99 $1.99
  • A Closed and Common Orbit (Wayfarers, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Busted Flush (Wild Cards, #19)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Midnight Curse (Disrupted Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fireblood (Whispers from Mirrowen, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Shadow Bright and Burning (Kingdom on Fire, #1)
  • Strange Weather
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Frostblood (Frostblood Saga, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Bear and the Nightingale (Winternight Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Run (Kaitan Chronicles, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Dark Matter
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Reader (Sea of Ink and Gold)
  • Wicked Like a Wildfire
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy #1)
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Forest of a Thousand Lanterns (Rise of the Empress #1)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Deadmen Walking (Deadman's Cross #1)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Hunted
  • Daughter of the Burning City
  • Wax
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Delphi Effect (The Delphi Trilogy #1)
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence