Start by marking “Shadows of the Stone Benders (Anlon Cully Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Shadows of the Stone Benders (Anlon Cully Chronicles, #1)

Shadows of the Stone Benders

(Anlon Cully Chronicles #1)

For fans of Dan Brown's Robert Langdon novels, a riveting, action-packed thriller.

World-renowned scientist Anlon Cully is unexpectedly swept into the thick of a suspense-riddled adventure when his archaeologist uncle, Devlin Wilson, dies under suspicious circumstances.

Published May 14th 2016 by Leaping Leopard Enterprises, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Shadows of the Stone Benders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadows of the Stone Benders

Vikki
This book is a thriller that seems like Indiana Jones meets the DaVinci Code. It starts with the murder of an archeologist, Devlin, who has been working on proving the civilized society started much sooner than originally thought. The archeologist's nephew, Anlon, comes to handle the funeral and estate and is instead pulled into the mystery of the artifacts in the victim's possession and the ones he was looking for at the time of his death. As more murder and robberies occur, it becomes clear th ...more
Alison
Jun 18, 2016 rated it did not like it
I got a third of the way into this and had to quit. The story isn't really that interesting to me and the writing is (to this seasoned reader) intolerable.
Elizabeth
May 17, 2017 rated it did not like it
This book is bad. The writing style is very immature, like something a teenager would write. The main character is a "Mary Sue" - an older, plain looking man who is a billionaire and scientific genius, and who all the "really hot" younger female characters lust after. The implicit misogyny in this book bothered me.
The actual plot was boring and I gave up about 1/2 way through.

Avoid this book.
David Eppenstein
I don't recall where I found this book but it was from an advertisement. The ad may have been an Amazon or Goodreads thing or maybe even Facebook but it was an ad that caught my eye. The book was offered in ebook format and I had been wanting to find something to download to my iPad for a recent vacation my wife and I were about to take. The plot looked interesting and the price was right so I downloaded it. The vacation proved to be more tiring than I expected so I never got to the book until j ...more
Monnie
Jun 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Mysterious, powerful stones are linked to a society that predates the earliest known to man. The elderly archaeologist who discovers them turns up dead. His nephew, a wealthy scientist in his own right, is intent on learning the secrets his uncle unearthed. Hmmm - almost from Page 1, my mind's eye was seeing shadows of Indiana Jones and The Librarian. Hints of those images remained throughout, even though the story and characters are quite different. If this book - and the rest of the series to ...more
Sheryle
Jun 15, 2016 rated it did not like it
ARC provided by NetGalley and the publisher.

Shadows of the Stone Benders by K. Patrick Donoghue was described by the words "For fans of James Rollins and Steve Berry, a suspense-riddled adventure." It was further described as "Peppered with the thought provoking intrigue of a Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child thriller, Shadows of the Stone Benders leaves readers questioning the technological prowess of modern man and the belief that Neolithic humans were nothing more than unsophisticated cave dw
Suzanne
Mar 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, netgalley
3.5 stars. Note: I received a copy of this book from netgalley, which in no way influences my review.

First the things I liked: The plot of this book was interesting - I enjoyed the archaeology angle, and the mysteries with the different stones interested me. I'd love to learn more about them in future books. There is a lot of history in this version of the world to be explored. The characters and their backstories were also all interesting.

What I didn't like: The dialogue took me out of the stor
David Eppenstein
Oct 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, thrillers
Zippergirl
Jun 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, reviewed
Seeking the solution to the mystery of man's apparent leap to a fully advanced civilization in dynastic Egypt, the Tiahuanaco city-state high in the Andes mountains, and in Harappa, a marvel of architectural planning in ancient Pakistan, Dr. Devlin Wilson suffers a death inexplicable by forensic medicine. And leaves behind evidence of otherworldly technology.

Nephew and beneficiary, Anlon Cully, billionaire and PhD, and his friends Jennifer and Pebbles, will need to make sense of a collection of
Tish
Dec 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Good story with a really interesting premise--that a technologically advanced society existed long before we'd think was possible. The author introduced the idea in a way that was plausible enough that I found myself googling mythological fish men to see what, if any, real connections there were. However, I thought the story eventually became a little too far-fetched and not as well supported as it had been in the beginning, but was still exciting and suspenseful.

My main problem was wit
Neil Woodland
Jun 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received an advance copy of the book, and I'm really glad I did! It's very well written, and the characters kept growing on me throughout the book. I wasn't prepared for the unknown interrelationships between the characters, and found it fascinating.
"Impressive" isn't the word I'd use to describe the research and imagination that went into writing this book -- I think much of it "stunned" me.
Anlon and Pebbles team up with Jennifer, who has a network of her own. Together, they try to work out
Elizabeth
Jun 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley-read
Shadows of the Stone Benders (The Anlon Cully Chronicles, #1) by K. Patrick Donoghue

Prior to his “accidental” fall off a New Hampshire mountain trail, Devlin made the discovery of a lifetime – unearthing undeniable proof that a technologically advanced society thrived on Earth long before archaeologists thought possible!

The key to this shocking evidence lies in a set of mysterious stones for
Emireland
Aug 29, 2016 rated it did not like it
Got this as a free book from NetGalley.
One star for the premise. Zero for everything else. I was pretty much forcing myself to read it from page 10 on. Got to 50%and couldn't take the torture anymore, so sadly it falls into one of the very few books that I didn't finish.
My first criticism is that I felt like I was reading something a middle schooler armed with a thesaurus wrote and I've read many middle schoolers' stories (some were actually better written than this by the way.) Sentences were
Jacque
Jun 17, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dr. Anlon Culy is a multimillionaire after selling his patent for a means of saving fuel. He receives a message that his uncle, an archaeologist has died in an accidental fall while hiking and Anlon needs to get there immediately. Upon his arrival, he talks to his uncle's friend and cohort and learns his uncle has discovered proof of an ancient civilization that predates known history. This civilization left stones that they recorded with their thoughts...and consciousness. Was his uncle's death ...more
Rosemary
Shadows of the Stone Benders - a review by Rosemary Kenny

K Patrick Donoghue's excellent mystery thriller never slows its pace, as MCs Anlon Cully and Eleanor 'Pebbles' Marie McCarver, his friend and lover, discover foul play in the death of his adventurer uncle Devlin Wilson, far from the latter's treasure trail in the first book of the Anlon Cully Chronicles.

A well-written and engaging novel, that will appeal to all ages and to fans of mystery-thrillers and adventure stories alike,Shadows of t
Matthew O'Connell
What if there was an incredibly advanced ancient people that instilled their wisdom and powers into a set of mysterious stones with formidable powers to build, communicate, fight and heal?

That's the premise of this first novel in the Anlon Cully trilogy.  Of course, the power of these stones draws the ruthless attention of villainous thieves hell bent on their acquisition by any means possible…including murder.

This has the feel of a good Dan Brown novel, including thought provoking intrigue tha
Mark Rabideau
May 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A decent beginning to a new series (for me). I enjoyed the 'triple' partner, friends arrangement and dynamics. The tale was a bit over the edge, plot-wise, for a traditional mystery but not quite far-enough "out there' to qualify for the realm of sci-fi. I, actually, think I liked that aspect of the story. I'll know more after I read another novel in the series.
Jason
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
More Hardy Boys than Da Vinci Code

A murder mystery involving advanced technology of an ancient people. A lot of talking, but not much action, puzzles, or exotic locales. Meh
Melenda Barrett
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shadows of the Stone Benders was surprisingly good. I usually don't care for "light" reading but the way Mr. Donoghue put the story together kept reading it enjoyable.

Although it never became intense and the characters were not intense I did become eager to return to the book to see how it turned out.

I do plan on getting #2 this week.
Marilyn
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I lined this book —I found it entertaining and the ending is a set up for the next book which I will read
Elaine

Summary:

Nancy
Jul 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Death Follows a Remarkable Archaeological Discovery

Dr Anlon Cully, a wealthy scientist, is enjoying a relaxing evening at his home near Lake Tahoe with his friend Pebbles, the bartender at a local restaurant. He tells her about a call he received from Matthew Dobson, his uncle Devlin's archaeological research partner. Devlin is dead after suffering a fall when climbing a mountain in New Hampshire.

Anlon is the heir and Dobson wants him to come East immediately to sort out Devlin's affairs. Altho
Sher
Jun 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-book, netgalley
Dr. Anlon Culy is a multimillionaire after selling his patent for saving fuel. He receives a message that his uncle, an archaeologist has died in a fall while hiking and Anlon needs to get there immediately. Upon his arrival, he talks to his uncle's friend and cohort and learns his uncle has discovered proof of an ancient civilization that predates known history. This civilization left stones recorded with their thoughts and consciousness. Was his uncle's death an accident? Who is a friend or fo ...more
Juliana
Jan 08, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Disappointed

I was excited to begin the book after reading the description and I wasn't excited again until it was over. There are books that you pick up to read at every opportunity. This is not one of them. I couldn't believe I still hadn't finished it over a week after starting. Can I say what the problem was? Not really. I just never felt invested in the characters or the story. Too much time spent being cutesy about the three main characters (like referring to Pebbles as PYT - pretty young t
Carlissa
Jun 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Carlissa by: Netgalley
I enjoyed this archaeological mystery/murder mystery. The stone artifacts were fascinating and I enjoyed hearing about what can be done with them, especially Pebble's encounters with them. I liked the fact that there were some strong and smart female characters in the story, but there were a couple times I thought they were incredibly stupid.

One of the things I didn't like was that the characters seemed to snicker a lot. I don't know what it is about the word "snicker", but I really don't like t
Ellen
Jul 27, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Received a free copy in exchange for a review

The book has a fantasy archeology theme. The book is easy to read and centers around three main character, with a "who done it" murder mystery. Has a good beginning and keeps your interest. The author writes in a different style that would lend to a movie or play. On one hand, it allowed you to get into the mind of the character. I was not all at ease with so much detail in the dialogue in that style. You guess near the beginning who the killer is and
Brian Rothbart
Jul 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
If you are a fan of Preston and Child or Clive Cussler you will enjoy this book. There is some chunkiness in the writing and dialogue, but it isn't a bad first try. This is supposed to be a series so hopefully K. Patrick Donoghue writing gets better with his next installment. This is a fast paced, perfect for the beach read. Although it is the first in a series it does not leave you with a cliffhanger, so don't worry about having to continue reading the series if you don't enjoy this book.
D R Childs
Creepy

Creepy

The possibilities for an interesting novel are there; unfortunately, the editing errors are monumental and destroyed any vestige of comprehension. The story line had possibilities but, again, unfortunately, it became too bizarre. I regret the strangeness because the premise was enticing.
I received a free copy of this book in return for my review.
Kathleen Gray
Dec 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Try this if you like sci-fi and archeology. It wasn't for me- I didn't finish- but there's a decent story here. I think it would have benefited from a strong editor. Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC.
richard schnabel
Characters actions not believable in context of the plot

Never was able to suspend disbelief while reading this. Characters are dealing with murder and mayhem.... Also an archeological discovery that overturns history and they behave as if they were on a picnic.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Orphan Uprising (The Orphan Trilogy, #3)
  • The Great Impersonation
  • Furnace
  • Closure
  • Debtors' Planet (Star Trek: The Next Generation #30)
  • Allegiance in Exile
  • Q & A (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Etchings of Power (Aegis of the Gods, #1)
  • Losing the Peace (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • The Cartesian Machine
  • Arthur (The Grail Quest Trilogy, #1)
  • The Warsaw Document
  • Nowhere to Hide
  • Suckers
  • The Sky's the Limit (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Messiah
  • Capitol Betrayal (Ben Kincaid, #18)
  • Watching the Clock (Star Trek: Department of Temporal Investigations #1)
K. Patrick Donoghue is the author of two series; The Anlon Cully Chronicles, an archaeology-based mystery-thriller series, and The Rorschach Explorer Missions, a new sci-fi thriller series.

His upcoming releases include: Skywave (December 14, 2018).

Patrick’s inspiration for The Anlon Cully Chronicles is rooted in his long-standing interest in ancient civilizations. In particular, a series of still

Anlon Cully Chronicles (4 books)
  • Race for the Flash Stone (Anlon Cully Chronicles, #2)
  • Curse of the Painted Lady (Anlon Cully Chronicles, #3)
  • Priestess of Paracas (Anlon Cully Chronicles, #4)
“the” 0 likes