Start by marking “A Quiet Kind of Thunder” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  7,900 ratings  ·  1,525 reviews
Steffi doesn't talk, but she has so much to say.
Rhys can't hear, but he can listen.
Their love isn't a lightning strike, it's the rumbling roll of thunder.

Steffi has been a selective mute for most of her life - she's been silent for so long that she feels completely invisible. But Rhys, the new boy at school, sees her. He's deaf, and her knowledge of basic sign language mea
Published January 12th 2017 by Macmillan Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about A Quiet Kind of Thunder, please sign up.
Anna From my own personal experience of Selective Mutism, I was not disappointed at all. I thought it was portrayed respectfully and truthfully, and recomm…moreFrom my own personal experience of Selective Mutism, I was not disappointed at all. I thought it was portrayed respectfully and truthfully, and recommend that all who know someone with SM or who have struggled with it, read this book to understand it better. (less)
Jinger Lowe Some of it is cheesy, in the way that all contemporary is, to some extent, cheesy. It is not unbelievable, however. The two characters do grow their r…moreSome of it is cheesy, in the way that all contemporary is, to some extent, cheesy. It is not unbelievable, however. The two characters do grow their relationship, it’s not instant, and yes there is more than just kissing. Foreplay and sex happens in the book between the two characters. Hope this helps!(less)
A Quiet Kind of Thunder by Sara  BarnardThe Upside of Unrequited by Becky AlbertalliWe Come Apart by Sarah CrossanForever Geek by Holly SmaleIt Only Happens in the Movies by Holly Bourne
UKYA in 2017
127 books — 77 voters
Lord of Shadows by Cassandra ClareKing's Cage by Victoria AveyardCarve the Mark by Veronica RothCaraval by Stephanie GarberFlame in the Mist by Renée Ahdieh
YA Novels of 2017
1,098 books — 8,459 voters

More lists with this book...

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·
 ·  7,900 ratings  ·  1,525 reviews

Start your review of A Quiet Kind of Thunder
C.G. Drews
This book is just SO FREAKING CUTE AND BEAUTIFUL that I just...I can't even begin to describe the dorky smile on my face right now. No seriously, I spent so much time while reading this just smiling. SMILING. It's not a complex book, it doesn't have a lot of plot, and I did feel the ending was a tiny bit rushed but -- omg it was Too Pure, Too Precious™ and my heart feels very full right now.

+ I loved how it featured both social anxiety and deafness.
Steffi has social anxiety and selective mutism,
High Lady of The Night Court
‘With lightning, you’re never really sure if that’s what it was; it’s just a flash. Thunder, you know. You feel it.’

I fell in love with this book at record time. It’s not easy to completely fall in love with a book in
right at the beginning because there are so many factors affecting the story and so many things that could go wrong, but books like these make me the happiest because the fear of not wanting to finish it vanishes when you’re through with your first few pages letting you enjoy t
Lala BooksandLala
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
It should go without saying that my opinion of this book should not be taken as valuable when compared to a reviewer who is deaf or has selective mutism. I genuinely hope (and as is reflected in my note to the publisher) that this ARC also got sent out to readers who can identify with these characters and give their comments on how respectful the representation feels, as my thoughts of this book are simply not as important.

I believe when it comes to writing any characters outside of your own exp
jessica
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
there are two very important things you will learn when you read this book:

1) you dont to be able to hear in order to listen, and
2) just because you cant speak doesnt mean you dont have a voice.

there was just so much to love about this book, but i think those two points were the most special, the most meaningful. and i love how they were expressed in a YA novel. its so important for people of all ages to realise these types of lessons, but even more so for teenagers who are at the stage in life
may ❀
Spontaneous buddy read with this fabulous girlie, Maram

So to start things off, I’d like to mention that you should take my rating like a grain of salt because honestly I don’t know how to rate this book.

It was GREAT, it was cute and fluffy and heartwarming and very very very informative, but at the same time, I felt that it lulled in certain moments.

description

And that was a big deal for me because I WANTED TO LOVE IT SO BADLY AND AWARD IT ALL 5 SUPER CUTE STARS but I found myself zoning out or makin
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to destiny ♡⚔♡ by: Kathy - Books & Munches
Huge thank you to my sweet friend Kathy for sending me a surprise gift copy of this book! She read it and loved it so much that she wanted me to read it too, and I’m so glad that she did, because it was so beautifully diverse, and sweet, and funny, and altogether just a precious story of friendship, love, and adapting to a world that doesn’t always meet your needs.

“I want the world, I think. Even if it scares me.”

First of all, the representation in this book: fantastic. None of it feels for
Holly Bourne
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I don't know where to start. I'd give this book TEN stars if I could. I loved Beautiful Broken Things but I think I love this book even more. A brilliant depiction of social anxiety, a swoony subtle love story that creeps up on you, and meticulously researched, respectful and just beautifully written.

This book is not only for the quiet ones, but by JOVE how the quiet ones will adore this book.
mxa ☂︎
Coincidental buddy read with the ever-so-lovely, мαүғℓσωεя
---------------------------------
WOW. This book is magnificent! Oh my gosh... The synopsis DID NOT display the care and attention that Sarah Barnard gave to her main + side characters. I'm surely convinced that this is some sort of a trick where the author just wants her readers to "pick it up" whenever we need a "cute fluff", so we always end up diving in with little to no expectation or at least be okay with it if it's not that good. Ri
Sylvie
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
by Sara Bernard

2.75/5 Stars

Br with The Pun Master

“Little victories are everything in a world where worst-case scenarios are on an endless loop in your head.”

'A Quiet Kind of Thunder' didn't turn out to be the book I was hoping for. It was a nice book to read, quite enjoyable from time to time, but less spectacular than expected.
At first it was still very interesting to me reading how Steffi and Rhys interacted independently with each other but also with their environment
Lily ☁️
3 1/2 stars

Maybe it’s the stark contrast to (my current) real life a.k.a. uni stress that made me like this book so much, and find it so cute? Who knows?? I might change the rating later on.

Blog | Bloglovin’ | Instagram | TumblrTwitter
Dannii Elle
Adorable, emotional and impactful. This features a marginalised set of characters in such a powerful, positive and informative light. This is far more than the fluffy romantic story that is appears!
Nov 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Here are three separate but similar things: shyness, introversion and social anxiety. You can be one, two or all three of these things simultaneously. A lot of the time people think they’re all the same thing, but that’s just not true. Extroverts can be shy, introverts can be bold and a condition like anxiety can strike whatever kind of social animal you are.

Such a sweet story! It follows a girl who is selectively mute and her developing relationship with a boy who is deaf. The romance is ce
amy ☂︎
Jul 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, readathon
the anxiety rep in this is *chef's kiss*

there were some minor things i did not like about this book but overall it was pretty cute and heartwarming

____

book #2 for the READING RUSH: read a book with five or more words in the title ✔️
Maddie
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, arcs
After reading and loving Beautiful Broken Things (so much it made my top fifteen books of 2015 before it was even published) I was so excited with Sara Barnard's next book. Now that I've finished it, the exact same thing has happened. This is pure gold (and bronze) and I don't think anything I write now will do justify to just how beautiful this book is. But, I'm still going to try, so here are some reasons to love A Quiet Kind of Thunder!
Read more…
Social Anxiety perfectly executed!

Steffi, our
Kat
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-2
What a great book! Gosh, I loved these characters. Steffi and Reese just grow on you right away. I completely related to Steffi with her anxiety and her selective mutism, and the way it was portrayed. I loved the way the author contrasted how it was handled between her parents, and how this both supported and hindered her. Reese was absolutely a sweetheart. I liked the inclusion of little details like hearing speakers forgetting to turn towards the Deaf person so they could read lips, how frustr ...more
Maggie ☘
*4,5/5 stars*

I think I died from the utter adorableness of this perfect book! Not only is it super cute and fun, but it's also intelligently written, quietly educational and very important and impactful book that everyone should read.

“They’re sprawled on the floor and chairs, talking loudly and easily, as naturally as breathing. Do they know how lucky they are? I catch myself wondering. Do they? Of course not. It’s probably the same thing someone with cystic fibrosis thinks about me. I guess
Inge
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
“My name is Steffi Brons and I don’t speak, let alone yell. I move slowly so people won’t notice I’m there, because running in public is as loud as a shout. I like to wear jumpers with long sleeves that go right down over my wrists and hands and fingers. Meekness is my camouflage; silence is my force field.”

A Quiet Kind of Thunder started out really strong and kind of fizzled out near the ending, but I still really enjoyed reading it. The romance was stinkingly cute and I loved the addition
Kate (GirlReading)
4.75/5 *
With it’s Disney, Les Miserables and Harry Potter references, diverse cast of characters, wonderful anxiety representation and yes, there was even a dog, A Quiet Kind of Thunder has everything I love and long for in a book. It had a perfect balance between the cute and fluffy, with it’s adorable, fun romance, whilst also discussing mental illness in a brilliantly real and honest way. Whether you’re living with anxiety yourself, know someone who is or simply want an insight into what it’s
Fares
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Fares by: Maggie ☘
This was disappointing :( untill I remember that I read this with Syl and everything is better :)

I don't think I can review this bc I feel tired and my other read isn't going well either.
Basically, if you want one of the cutest contemps read the first third, till maybe chapter 11, after that everything goes downhill and basically the characters turn to hormonal bratty teenagers with really really stupid decisions and a lot of cheap plot devices to move things ahead.

-----------------------------
Bee
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ukya
Too cute for words! Everything a contemporary romance should be.

(Sidenote: I did find Steffi's anxiety pretty triggering for my own. Whenever we got too into her head, it felt like a reflection of my own thoughts, which is great for the anxiety representation because it's hella accurate, but I suffered a lot of second-hand anxiety when reading. I wouldn't let this put you off reading, though, just take breaks if it gets too real. x)
Ammara Abid
Mar 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Okay Okay Ok.
I'm torn between 2 & 3 stars.
I really like first 80 pages. Unique idea, interesting plot. A story with the girl having selective mutism and a deaf boy, but the more I read it the less I like it.
After first few chapters the same, repititive YA stuff started,
Friendship,
Blaaaa
So nothing new. -_-
bella farren
3.5 / 5 stars

This was one of my most anticipated books, I had been desperate to read this after I saw that it had diverse disability rep, of which it had amazing reviews on. The deaf, selective mutism and anxiety representation throughout this book were so well done, there was no boy cures terrible and chronic anxiety here (and thank god for that).

Steffi and Rhys were both complex and love
Puck
An adorable contemporary romance, with sweet characters and great accurate representation of anxiety and being deaf.

“Lots of people are shy. Shy is normal. A bit of anxiety is normal. Throw the two together, add some brain-signal error - a NO ENTRY sign on the neural highway from my brain to my mouth perhaps, though no one really knows - and you have me.”

This book is the story of Steffi and Rhys, two teenagers who both find it hard to live in the normal world. Steffi has selective mutism c
Marianne Moresco
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: all-time-favs
5 heart-warming stars

Oh boy. This book. This book and its characters. This book and its contents.
Diversity cast! Mature teenagers! No-romanticized anxiety disorders! Sexual positivity! Healthy relationships! Importance of friendship! No cheatings! No slut-shaming! Not overly fluffy and cheesy, just tender and important and heart-warming!
I loved this book to pieces. And keep in mind that I do not tend to like, nor love, contemporaries. But this book truly warmed my heart.
#BackstoryTime: I suf
Bookphenomena (Micky)
4.5 stars rounding all the way up.

He can’t hear, she doesn’t speak but they understand one another perfectly.

That’s the strapline on this book and it blew me away like I find the best YA can. This was one of the most relatable YAs I’ve read in a long time. I think some of this was down to the fact it was quintessentially British and not American and I loved the sense of home in this book.

Steffi was a carefully crafted complex and refreshing character. I ‘got’ her, I admired her and wanted her to
Aj the Ravenous Reader

It’s a very bold YA story in its overall sense. It’s very mature for a YA and the characters are very unusual, a deaf boy and a selectively mute girl. What I liked about the story is how it liberally addresses anxiety which anyone, differently abled or not can definitely experience. It also educates the readers on how the deaf communicates as well as how a girl with multiple anxiety disorder manages to cope. It is still a love story and sometimes it could get very cheesy and a bit unrealistic bu
Julie Zantopoulos
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'd like to preface this review by stating that I am not a part of the deaf community or living with the same mental health issues that the characters in this book do. As such, I cannot speak to the representation in the book, but it is my belief that it was handled fantastically. Again, that's from my scope and should never outweigh those in the communities represented.

That said, this book was beautiful, truly and wonderfully written. This book follows Steffi who is a selective mute with sever
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

Steffi is selective mute and has been since a child... but that is about to change... she hopes!! This is the year where she's trying to break out of the hold her anxiety has on her actions. If she doesn't then her parents may just decide no university for her! Amidst this she meets Rhys. Deaf, they communicate through her rusty sign language. With her silent voice and his expert listening skills they become friends in their own little world, a
Emer (A Little Haze)
This is the cutest book that I've read since my beloved Lara Jean To All the Boys I've Loved Before series by Jenny Han! I legit squealed a bunch of times while reading this as it was SO FREAKING CUTE!!!!! It was exactly the kind of cutesy, awkward teen romance that I'm a sucker for. Like okay... I know I was letting myself in for a hella amount of emotional manipulation from the get go because this is about a selective mute girl with anxiety who falls in love with a deaf boy..... Like it's got ...more
Dana
I suppose that I should have known going into this that a book about a mute girl would have a lot of internal dialogue, but wow.

I mean, again it makes sense but I found it to be a bit grating at times. Especially a mute girl with anxiety issues and yeah....lots of verbal diarrhea. I suppose it was realistic, but it would have been nice if it was trimmed a bit. Still... in all fairness the premise of a romance between a girl with selective mutism and a deaf boy was very intriguing.

I always like

• Call It What You Want
  • It Only Happens in the Movies
  • More Than We Can Tell (Letters to the Lost, #2)
  • How Hard Can Love Be? (The Spinster Club, #2)
  • Am I Normal Yet? (The Spinster Club, #1)
  • Under Rose-Tainted Skies
  • Letters to the Lost (Letters to the Lost, #1)
  • Are We All Lemmings and Snowflakes?
  • When We Collided
  • What's a Girl Gotta Do? (The Spinster Club, #3)
  • Birthday
  • The One Memory of Flora Banks
  • Starry Eyes
  • Our Chemical Hearts
  • The Places I've Cried in Public
  • The Start of Me and You (The Start of Me and You, #1)
  • Holding Up the Universe