Start by marking “Liminal Thinking” as Want to Read:
Liminal Thinking

Liminal Thinking

Paperback, Uncorrected Proof, 224 pages
Published 2016 by Rosenfeld Media

To ask other readers questions about Liminal Thinking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Liminal Thinking

Oleksandr Golovatyi
Another brilliant book that fell into my hands in this 2017 year. The book is small without extra "water", it is very simple and understandable written. The main idea of the book is "liminal thinking" - the art of changing the world around yourself with the help of rethinking and changing persuasions. To make this definition more lucid and complete, we still need to add a definition of what "persuasion" is, this is - the sequence of events in our head, according to which we act.

Principles of lim
Dave
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a concise (and in paperback, beautifully designed) set of principles and practices for thinking clearly, acting deliberately, keeping an open mind.

In short:
1. Those beliefs we use to navigate the world are essential for sense-making and terribly limiting if we take them as truths unexamined. They are what shape our worldview, what lead to action, can lead to failure, conflict, misunderstanding.
2. Our identities and shared experience are tied in with these beliefs, and so they are hard t
Libby
I've already started thinking about the upcoming New Year and how I want to set goals, so this book fit in very nicely with that. I listened to an audible version that I borrowed from Hoopla. The narrator is Dan Woren and he is fantastic. He read the book as though he had authored it, giving justice and respect to Dave Gray's well written work. I often have difficulty giving my attention to the audible format, but I had no problem with this one.

A lot of the book is presented as being advice on
Jay
Aug 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business, audiobook
Well written take on how to approach problems taking into account the impact your own beliefs have on the process. The book describes how beliefs can determine how you think about things, and provides some ideas on how to set aside those beliefs and rethink the problems and solutions you are working on. I found this quite similar to other books I’ve read over the years, but put together in a well written, simple way. The author combines the science, expert opinion, process description, and examp ...more
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
While this one had a bunch of Powerpoint-ish vibes, still, it was an interesting read and quite a few of the stories actually made sense (which is rare in the trend of bullshit storytelling of late).
Liminal thinking as a useful concept. Why not? Change, beliefs, concepts and preconceptions. Asking questions and listening to the answers. Liminality.
Mehdi Hassan
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
A book about changing beliefs and perception. Plenty of examples and case studies to visualize lessons and facts. Many of the lessons are reiteration from "How to win friends and influence people". The message runs well into well-developed societal fundamentals, shaking up reality for the reader. This books is one to ruminate about for a while into the future - I look forward to connecting the dots as I continue to observe and navigate through life.
Salavat Ghabdulla
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this book. It opens new ways of seeing the world and other people's behavior. After reading Liminal thinking, you will notice why people act in a way they act, why you respond to something in a way you respond. And if you found something wrong with it, this book teaches you how to change the way you see things.

Having read Liminal thinking (and having done all exercises in it) I really feel that I stepped up on a new level of understanding the world around. Really!
g BRETT
I had the pleasure a couple of years ago of hearing Dave Gray talk about and explore some ideas he had for a new book, throwing them out to the audience and having a conversation around them. Earlier this year I had the privilege of reading some early versions of pages that had evolved from those explorations and which now form the heart of Dave’s new book, Liminal Thinking. I was excited to get the final version of the book and looking forward to sitting down and breezing through it, to soak it ...more
Kare Anderson
“How our beliefs create blind spots” to “our assumption that we understand a situation” are just some of the barriers we inadvertently put up between our opportunities and our relationships that Liminal Thinking can alleviate. I value the actionable insights and the sequence in which they are offered to enable us readers to become more self-aware and able to make wiser choices – for ourselves and with others. As Gray advises, “Assume that you are not objective.” The book is a helpful complement ...more
Ardavan Mir
Aug 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice summary of how we construct beliefs and how they evolve from the feedback they receive from the environment. Liminal thinking is about models and practices of being aware of the process of mapping reality. It's a simple and summarized guide borrowing models from social psychology on how beliefs work. It's about stepping outside of your bubble and expanding your thinking frameworks.
Kristian Norling
Should have read this book when I bought it in 2016, but I guess sometimes you read books only when you are ready to. Now the timing is right, and I have a need to challenge my beliefs in a constructive and fruitful way. This book delivers a set of principles and practices for changing the way you think.

This book is excellent, will recommended it to all colleagues and teams at work.
Lisa
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mind-bending
4 stars for the writing, 10+ stars for the concept. It’s a super clear, easy approach to reprogramming your brain. The writing is no frills to-the-chase and can be read in an afternoon.
Liz Dom
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I started reading Liminal Thinking at the same time as attempting a program on rewiring your brain. For me, this book spoke of the same principles, but I could understand them better as the book's written in a language and manner of speaking which I identify with.

I ended up abandoning the program and solely reading Liminal Thinking and applying the principles to my life and thought patterns as I went along.

While a *complete* mindshift isn't possible within the timeframe of reading the book, it
Janelle
Jun 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-reads
For some reason, the run time for the audiobook says 6 hours, but the book is only about half that.

I enjoyed this very much and would like to go back to it in written form sometime soon. I think I'd absorb more that way.
Adrian Howard
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm slightly biased since a couple of my war stories appear in this book, but I rather liked this. All too often books about change tell a nice story, but fail to show you how to apply the concepts. This is not one of those books. It's structured as a series tactical practices around beliefs and change, and wraps those practices up in a nice model. It's given me some new ways to think about stuff I've been doing for years, and highlighted some gaps in how I approach things. If you're managing or ...more
Simon Vandereecken
If you're searching for ways to "think differently" and approach problems and issues with another mind, this book could help you. But if you have read already a lot of things about business and for example design thinking, then unfortunately this book won't offer you much.

While it's greatly written, illustrated and constructed, I've felt quite disappointed when reading it. I think I was expecting a lot of new things, a new way of thinking, but the whole book proposes advices that are quite usual
Adi
Sep 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What I like about the book is that it stays less esoteric and spiritual than it could easily be drawn into, especially when it comes to discussing beliefs in general. Is there anything new? Did the author include newly discovered science? Not that I recall, but this isn't bad at all. What is actually really "new" for us after millions of years on this planet? Byron Katie talks in her work about thought patterns and beliefs and loops, Pema Chodron and other Buddhist teachers talk about contemplat ...more
Jessica Kormos
Oct 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bidness
I had the pleasure of reading an advanced copy of Dave Gray’s new novel, Liminal Thinking.

It’s hands-down one of the most interesting and introspective works I’ve read. It gave me new ways to think about my every day existence, as well as some key strategies to tackle problems in my very technical day job. I wish all my programmers would read it, and in fact, I’m hoping to pass along a few copies to them this holiday season.

Liminal Thinking is applicable to much more than just UX or programming
Fred Sampson
Dec 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good reminder of some things I already knew: question assumptions, especially the hidden and unacknowledged assumptions that get in the way of good communication.
Michael Roach
Sep 15, 2016 rated it did not like it
Recycled NLP given a trendy title. Avoid.
Steven
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: _own-kindle
Outstanding read. Highly recommend.
Samuel Salzer
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is possibly the best book I've ever read.

It was a "quake" book in every sense. It completely shook my world.

I naturally wholeheartedly recommend everyone to read it.
Keith
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Terrific read. Wrote a more detailed review here: https://medium.com/@dkr/review-limina...
Travis Swicegood
Such a great book. Do yourself a favor and spend a few hours with it. It's a quick read that really packs a punch.
Jason Scott
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Audiobook. Business oriented book trying to define a concept called "liminal thinking" around change management.

The book is quite concise, short and easy to understand. It reminded me a bit of several other concepts like cognitive behaviour therapy, Buddhism, and Katie Byron's "the work". You could classify this book as another commercialization of concepts from Buddhism, trying to rebrand it as a trademark that can be sold, and you'd be right. It's still a good book.

It starts of with encouragin
Pranav Mutatkar
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
-Beliefs can guide us and limit us. If we are not careful they create an identity that at best limits us at worst makes our life a living hell.

-The book illustrates this idea with the blind men and the elephant. So, we must learn and use other peoples worldviews to create feedback for our own beliefs forever modifying and getting them closer to the truth. The map may not be the territory, but if we are always aware of this we may be able to make a map that's close enough.

-Buddha said his teach
Laurie Caetano
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: prof-development
liminal thinking: the art of creating change by understanding, shaping, and reframing beliefs.

This book was divided into two sections: the first went over how we form our beliefs and how they can limit us; the second was how to reevaluated and reshape those beliefs if needed. Change is scary and it's easy to cling to the way you've always done something to avoid moving forward. Beliefs help everyone make sense of the world around them and even influences how they interact with others. Beliefs c
Ronald J.
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was introduced to the concept of liminal thinking by my colleague, David Wells, of Moores in Australia. It's a thought-provoking metaphor to describe how a change in thinking causes a certain ambiguity when we are in between spaces. The author defines liminal thinking (limen, “threshold”) as: A state of ambiguity or disorientation that precedes a breakthrough to a new kind of thinking. The space between. He goes on to say, "Change happens at the boundaries of things: between the known and the ...more
Devdatt Tendulkar
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
We often are in search of a book that will help us think in a different stream than the regular rut...Dave Gray is a prolific writter who reveals to us that our beliefs define how we see situations and judge people around us...but if we disrupt our regular routine, meet new people and find new ways to see a particular situation we would be in a much better position to take action... unlearn untag and be emotionally present to get a different prospective of life... Liminal thinking touches a cord ...more
✿ Z A H R A ❀
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
{'Liminal thinking is something anyone can learn, but it’s not easy. It’s uncomfortable, even unsettling. It’s a lot of work! Why would anyone want to do all these uncomfortable things, especially when it seems like the only rewards are increased ambiguity, uncertainty, and doubt?
The answer is this: Because it matters.
It matters because you matter. You owe it to yourself to be a whole, self-actualized person. It matters because your friends matter and your family matters. They deserve to be unde
« previous 1 3 next »

• Build Better Products
  • Articulating Design Decisions: Communicate with Stakeholders, Keep Your Sanity, and Deliver the Best User Experience
  • It's Our Research
  • Think First: My No-Nonsense Approach to Creating Successful Products, Memorable User Experiences + Very Happy Customers
  • Designing Together: The Collaboration and Conflict Management Handbook for Creative Professionals
  • Accessibility for Everyone
  • Mobile Design Pattern Gallery: UI Patterns for Mobile Applications
  • The Practitioner's Guide to Product Management
  • Learning Agile: Understanding Scrum, XP, Lean, and Kanban
  • The Reflective Practitioner: How Professionals Think in Action
  • The Big Book of Dashboards: Visualizing Your Data Using Real-World Business Scenarios
  • Design a Better Business: New Tools, Skills, and Mindset for Strategy and Innovation
  • On Web Typography
“We construct our beliefs, mostly unconsciously, and thereafter they hold us captive. They can help us focus and make us more effective, but sadly, they also can limit us: they blind us to possibility and subject us to fog, fear, and doubt.” 2 likes
“Like the blind men and the elephant, it’s often the case that people see the same thing, but they see it differently, and the argument over who is right and wrong distracts them from learning or doing anything productive with the situation they find themselves in. The obvious is not obvious. Even” 1 likes