Start by marking “The Shift (Time Square #1)” as Want to Read:
The Shift (Time Square #1)

The Shift

(Time Square #1)

There’s more to time than ticks and tocks.

Lewis and Eva Hudson have a dad who is a part-time archaeologist. He likes to discover things, but Dr Rex Hudson isn’t the brightest flame in the fire. One day he arrives home with his biggest discovery yet, and dumps it in the basement. That’s the day when all the trouble starts.

In the blink of an eye, the Hudsons find themselves
Kindle Edition
Published May 16th 2016 (first published March 29th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Shift, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shift

Brenda

Doctor Rex Hudson and his assistant Leesa were finding the going tough; the mountains were steep, the vegetation thick – their guide Diego was doing his best with the group of archaeologists in the wilds of Peru, but the Doctor would be glad when they reached the top. Searching for a relic which had never been found until now, he was sure he would succeed…

Twins Lewis and Eva and their younger brother Thomas hurried home from school the day they knew their father was arriving. He had bee
Jan
Great fun and adventure for any age! The publisher's blurb gives hints and there is no need for spoilers, but that can't begin to prepare you for all the suspense and fun. There is mystery and painless learning, suspense and action in a rapid pace which keeps the reader's interest from beginning to end.
I won this ebook in a Goodreads Giveaway.
Julie Grasso
Apr 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We begin our adventure when we join Dr. Rex Hudson and his research assistant Leesa on the top of Machu Picchu. They are on the precipice of a discovery after studying the notes of a Hiram Bingham, a noted American Explorer. When Rex and Leesa follow the clues, it leads them to a mysterious stone obelisk.

Little do they know, that removing the obelisk and transporting it home, will upset time itself.

Upon Dr Hudson's return, he begins to study the obelisk, with the help of his precocious twins, Le
Grampy
Nov 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Time Square: The Shift” by S.W. Lothian launches a clever and highly entertaining new series from this well-known author of the “Quest” series of stories. Geared toward middle grade readers, this story will be appreciated by readers of all ages.

Beginning halfway up the Andes Mountains en route to Machu Picchu, the story follows archaeologist Dr. Rex Hudson as he seeks a mystical Incan artefact he believes is hidden at the popular site. His assistant stumbles upon the artefact, and soon the duo
S.W.
Sep 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I'm biased :)
Renee
Time Square | The Shift is set in the 1930′s and is a science fiction tale which blends mystery, time travel, and suspense. The story centres around Dr. Rex Hudson – who makes a life changing discovery deep in the jungles of Machu Picchu in Peru – and his twin daughter and son who inadvertently go along for the adventure of a lifetime when all three fall through a portal that takes them to Time Square – the central station of time travel.

Dr. Hudson and his family soon learn that the removal of a
Sally906
TIME SQUARE opens in 1930 with Dr Rex Hudson battling his way through the jungles in Peru to get to an ancient ruin!! In the ruins he finds a small obelisk that many other archaeologists have searched for but never found. He takes it home and puts it in the basement which is where it is sitting when Eva and Lewis along with their younger brother Thomas race home after school. They can’t see why their dad is all excited by what looks like a dirty old rock and Thomas soon wanders off upstairs. But ...more
Jemima Pett
S.W. Lothian's imagination holds no bounds, as we found in his previous books - the Quest series - when some kids were drawn to ancient Egypt via Time Square. Now Time Square takes centre stage in this exciting adventure in which the very existence of time is threatened.

We are in the 1930s. Dr. Hudson returns from an expedition to the recently discovered Machu Picchu with a strange obelisk. He shows it to his children, twins Eva and Lewis, and they find themselves whisked through a time portal t
Connie Anderson
Nov 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young people of ANY generation who loves action, humor, and suspense.
Recommended to Connie by: Reading Deals
I must admit, I never heard of the "Quest" series by S.W. Lothian. This is my first book. When I looked at the cover, I knew I had to read it! It looked funny and adventurous. Most of all, I had to know what is happening to them! This book does not disappoint! It exceeded all my expectations and then some. I am not a young person, myself, but I love books for young people, because they are simply the BEST!

This is a story about a famous archeologist who brings home a find. He has three children.
Sandra Stiles
This is another wonderful series from this author. In this series we meet Dr. Rex Hudson and his family. Dr. Hudson and his assistant are in Peru at Machu Pichu looking for something important. They find a black obelisk and have it shipped back to his home. Once home he shares the exciting find with two of his three children, twins Eva and Lewis. While inspecting it the three of them are sucked into it and find themselves in Time Square where all time goes through. Unfortunately when they are su ...more
Bruce Gargoyle
Full review at http://thebookshelfgargoyle.wordpress... (from April 2nd, 2014)

I received a digital copy of this title for review from the author.

Ten Second Synopsis:
Dr Hudson wants to uncover the secrets of Machu Picchu. Dr Hudson accidentally endangers time itself. D'oh.

I think this book will appeal greatly to kids who like the idea of time travel and solving ancient mysteries. The book is set in 1930, but the language use is definitely not accurate for the period. While this took a bit of gett
Erik This Kid Reviews Books
When I found out Mr. Lothian was writing another series, I was very happy. I am a fan of his first series – The Quest books. The first book in his new series didn’t disappoint! First of all – bonus points for a very cool cover!

This was a great book. I think it explains how Time Square (NOT the place in NYC but a time travel center made up by Mr. Lothian) works (an idea from one of his QUEST books) very well. I like how it shows a scene from a QUEST book (the characters meeting another character)
Scott Peters
May 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a really fun ride, packed with an awesome cast of wacky characters and full of zany situations. I liked that it was set in the past, and really enjoyed the whole atmosphere of the book. The author has done a great job of creating a wonderful little world. In it, the doctor has found an obelisk with magical, time travel properties during an archaeology dig, and it ends up causing all sorts of problems. It becomes a race to see if the doctor and his kids can fix what's happened.

I lik
Cheryl Carpinello
Sep 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a different read from what I was expecting having read his Quest Series books. The dad Rex Hudson really is the focus for most of this book because it is his discovery that has put the world at risk. Two of his children Lewis and Eva are transported to Time Square with their dad when the powers that be decide that Rex must return his discovery or risk the end of the world.

It is at the end of The Shift that Lewis and Eva start to take on a bigger role which will continue in Book 2. This
Kasey Cocoa
Apr 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-requested
My youngest (9) son and I enjoyed reading this book. He laughed out loud a time or two, which is out of the ordinary for him. We agree this is a fun book to read and definitely keeps the attention of younger readers quite well. When we finished the book he asked for the next one so that is a very good sign. He liked the silliness of the characters and how they worked together to solve things. Personally I feel this is a great book for younger (6-12) minds even though I found a few minor issues I ...more
Cthulhu Down My Chimney 2Night
Review: TIME SQUARE SHIFT and TIME SQUARE UFO SW LOTHIAN

Author SW LOTHIAN has consistently proven his ability to pen adventurous, intriguing, novels for middle-grade readers. His QUEST series introduced reader's to the glory of Ancient Egypt with clever time-travel, "learn while adventuring." In this new series, he postulates, not just time travel, but threats to the actual nature and existing of time. In the 1930's, an "absent-minded" professor and his adolescent daughter and son discover unexp
M.G. King
Jul 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When arch enemy archeologist Dr. Sultan steals the obelisk that serves as a portal for time travel, the fabric of time itself becomes damaged, stranding time travelers everywhere and every when. THE SHIFT is nice intro into S.W. Lothian's new intriguing series. Filled with plenty of action, mind-bending plot ideas, clever wordplay, and middle grade humor, The Time Square begins with great promise of adventures to come.
F.T. Bradley
Oct 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book on my e-reader this summer, while on a long road trip. I'm glad I did: Time Square-The Shift had me hooked from the beginning. I found myself reading portions out loud, making my kids laugh with me.

S.W. Lothian has truly captured that middle-grade audience in this book. I heard the next in the series just came out, so I can get back to the fun...
Michele
Jun 21, 2014
Patricia
Jun 21, 2014
Kathryn Roever
rated it did not like it
Mar 27, 2014
  • Vin and the Dorky Duet
  • The Boy Who Flew With Eagles
  • When Violet Was Blue
  • Guinevere: On the Eve of Legend
  • Mice & Spiders & Webs...Oh My!
  • Good-Bye, Baby Max
  • Brothers, Bullies and Bad Guys (Boulton Quest #1)
  • The Princelings of the East (Princelings of the East, #1)
  • Karmack
  • Lost Time
  • The Tail of a Boy Named Harvey
  • A Pair of Docks (Derivatives of Displacement, #1)
  • My Monster Burrufu
  • Graynet (Spies Lie #4)
  • Aftershock (Donovan Nash #5)
  • The Mystic Princesses and the Whirlpool
  • A Place to Call Home: Toby's Tale
  • John Bloom and the Victory Garden
>>> Click here to subscribe to my Newsflash . <<<

S.W. Lothian is an Australian author who creates edge-of-your-seat adventures that are great reads for all ages. His books range from those that thrill young adult readers with intrigue, drama, and suspense, to those that launch teens into exciting settings and action-filled mysteries while reminding older readers of their childho

Time Square (2 books)