Start by marking “Shoe Dog: A Memoir by the Creator of Nike” as Want to Read:
Shoe Dog: A Memoir by the Creator of Nike

Shoe Dog: A Memoir by the Creator of Nike

4.48  ·  Rating details ·  107,231 ratings  ·  7,885 reviews
In 1962, fresh out of business school, Phil Knight borrowed $50 from his father and created a company with a simple mission: import high-quality, low-cost athletic shoes from Japan. Selling the shoes from the boot of his Plymouth, Knight grossed $8000 in his first year. Today, Nike's annual sales top $30 billion. In an age of start-ups, Nike is the ne plus ultra of all ...more
Capa comum, 386 pages
Published August 30th 2017 by Exhibitions International (first published April 24th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Shoe Dog, please sign up.
Travis Whitaker Ghost writer was JR Moehringer. Who also worked with Andre Agassi on his biography, and wrote his own memoir "The Tender Bar".…moreGhost writer was JR Moehringer. Who also worked with Andre Agassi on his biography, and wrote his own memoir "The Tender Bar". (less)

·  107,231 ratings  ·  7,885 reviews

Start your review of Shoe Dog: A Memoir by the Creator of Nike
Wendy S.
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: swoosh
This book made me cry. Twice! I did not know a book about what I had previously viewed as the definition of a big corporation could have that sort of power. I was wrong.

Phil Knight had been an unfamiliar name to me before I picked up this memoir. That, in itself, seems strange. I mean, I had no idea he's from Portland, Oregon, or that, by trade, he's an accountant, or that he identifies as an introvert. I didn't know he had met his wife while teaching at Portland State (after leaving PWC to buy
Brad Feld
May 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think Shoe Dog by Phil Knight is the best memoir I’ve ever read by a business person.
I consumed it in a day last week. It’s about the origin story of Nike, which started out as Blue Ribbon Sports.

Unlike so many memoirs, it’s not an equally balanced arc through Knight’s life. It’s not an ego gratifying display of his awesomeness, heavily weighted in the success of the company and all the amazing things that went on around that. Instead, it’s a deep focus on the beginning years of Nike
Brina
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoirs, sports, business
Growing up in Chicago in the 1980s and 1990s, as a collective society we were in awe of Michael Jordan. Not only did we imagine ourselves draining the decisive jump shot to seal the title, we also had to use every product that he endorsed; Gatorade, Wheaties, Coca-Cola, and, of course, Nike Air Jordan shoes. Nike most likely would not be where it is today without the sponsorship of Jordan and subsequent Jordan Brands, so when I found out that the company's founder Phil Knight had written a ...more
Ned Frederick
May 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shoe Dog could have been titled, "Buck Naked", because of the way Phil "Buck" Knight bares his soul in this fine memoir. I'm grateful to Knight for putting it all down in black and white. My 12 years with Nike started toward the end of the timeframe of this memoir, and so a lot of what Knight chronicles in Shoe Dog was the core of the Nike creation myth, revealed piecemeal to most of us in the late 70's and early 80's... usually in the form of humorous anecdotes shared over a cocktail or three. ...more
TS Chan
“Let everyone else call your idea crazy.. just keep going. Don’t stop. Don’t even think about stopping until you get there, and don’t give much thought to where “there” is. Whatever comes, just don’t stop.”

In other words, Just Do It!

Nike is the ultimate American dream. And it all started when a twenty-four-year-old Oregonian suddenly had this Crazy Idea of bringing Japanese running shoes, specifically the Onitsuka Tigers, into the country way back in 1962, just less than two decades after the
Supreeth
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"I’d tell men and women in their midtwenties not to settle for a job or a profession or even a career. Seek a calling. Even if you don’t know what that means, seek it. If you’re following your calling, the fatigue will be easier to bear, the disappointments will be fuel, the highs will be like nothing you’ve ever felt."
Huyen Chip
Great story. There is grit, passion, and drama. Phil Knight described in amazing details his journey from selling shoes out of his car to building a multi-billion dollar company. It'd have been a perfect zero-to-hero story if it wasn't for its elitism.

All important people in Phil Knight's life seem to be rich and powerful. Knight's parents paid for his college and his expensive MBA. Then the 24 year old Knight asked for even more money to travel the world, beach-bumming in Hawaii for a while.
Brandice
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a long-time lover of Nike, it was only matter of time until I read Shoe Dog by Phil Knight, Nike’s founder. I was pretty sure I’d enjoy this one and I was right, I really liked it!

The story, told in first person by Phil himself, begins by focusing on his early life, most notably his post-college adulthood in the early 1960s. Phil was unsure of what exactly he wanted to do and had a strong desire to travel the world first. This is nothing new, in my opinion, if anything, this desire has only
Jason Navallo
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. It was very inspiring to read Phil Knight's story of how he built one of the world's most successful companies. It also inspired me to finish writing Underdog!
Andrew Smith
I’m not sure when I became aware of Nike – maybe sometime around the millennium? Certainly not before that. I was therefore astounded to learn that the company had been founded in the early 1970’s, with the aim of producing and selling sports shoes. In fact, the co-founder (and major driving force), Phil Knight, was a runner in college and his driving goal was to produce top class running shoes. We first catch up with Phil, a native of Oregon, in the late 60’s when he’d already secured an MBA at ...more
Frank
May 07, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Picked this up hoping it would be a fascinating and inspirational book about leadership and passion. Well... it was an interesting book, at least. It follows Phil Knight's professional career starting from a small running shoe importer up until Nike becoming a publicly traded company. Other reviewers have said they were disappointed that it doesn't cover the birth of Air Jordan, and I would have to agree that it feels like part of the story is missing because of that. My biggest complaint, ...more
Wen
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easily one of my all-time favorite business books, out there with Liar’s Poker and The Snowball. From cover to cover it exuded positive vibes; a nice kick-start for my 2018 reading year.
The key messages conveyed by this memoir were not unlike those in biographies authored by founders of other successful businesses: marry career with passion, place subordinates according to their talents etc. etc.
And yet Phil Knight expertly presented the mortal side of a legendary CEO; he forsook platitudes
Michael Payne
Mar 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
JUST DO IT. Those words are the life story of Phil Knight. To every athlete, entrepreneur, mother, father, and dreamer his greatest legacy will be a life well played. More valuable than his pledge of giving back to society $100,000,000 a year, Phil 'Found His Greatness' in life by inspiring us all to play harder, dig deeper and never quit. Thank you, Phil.

This book is well worth every hard-won word, shared and earned over 50+ years of grueling competition. More than once the story looked like
Austin Haukinz
Overall: Meh. This book doesn't contain much. No real business or leadership insight. Not even an interesting story about the formation of Nike. Mostly the life of Phil Knight and Nike's early legal trouble. Truth be told, Phil Knight sounds to be an all around self-absorbed individual. Not someone I'd ever look up to. I'm still a fan of Nike products, just not this book.
Maciej Nowicki
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I am so glad I bumped into this book. Explaining what Nike is would be just beating a dead horse. Nevertheless, my knowledge concerning Nike shoes was rather limited even though I had a few pairs when I was a teenager.

The book tells a brilliant, absolutely amazing, story of the Nike company (Blue Ribbon Sports), its founder – Phil Knight, and its Execom members who were also called butt-faces.

Anyway, the book describes Phil’s struggles and how he started out the company. It is a great recap of
Kristen Bornemann
Jul 27, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I finished this book but it was a push to get beyond the self-congratulatory, privileged, misogynistic words that oozed throughout this entire book. "I paid someone very little, isn't that funny?" "I was an asshole but that's just the way I am! Blame my dad!" Very little about working through the actual challenges that Nike came across besides revealing in being a white old dude and surround yourself with old white dudes in America. Awful.
Ivan K. Wu
Feb 09, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A marketing rag that rebrands exploitation as entrepreneurial virtue, with enough rave reviews by endorsed celebrities to make George Orwell proud. To summarize: Stanford MBA returns from trip around the world (funded by parents), secures a Japanese connection (through his father) and hires a rag tag team of misfits to work full time on his shoe empire while he had one foot out the door working as an accountant for PwC. His only real talent was in taking advantage of people: $50 raises for his ...more
Lisa
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shoe Dog is an extraordinary hero's journey, an epic tale of faith, unparalleled determination, excellence, failure, triumph, hard-earned wisdom, and love. It's nothing short of a miracle that Nike exists. I finished the last sentence in complete awe, inspired and grateful for the experience.--Lisa Genova, New York Times bestselling author of Still Alice and Inside the O'Briens
Krystal
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"For some, I realize, business is the all-out pursuit of profits, period, full stop, but for us the business was no more about making money than being human is about making blood. Yes, the human body needs blood. It needs to manufacture red and white cells and platelets and redistribute them evenly, smoothly, to all the right places, on time, or else. But that day-to-day business of the human body isn't our mission as human beings. It's a basic process that enables our higher aims, and life ...more
Fryeday
May 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adored this book right from the beginning. The intro felt magical.

I read Bowerman's biography written by Kenny Moore, who was a teammate of Phil Knight's on the Oregon track team. So I got a little of the history of Blue Ribbon Sports through that account, but not much about the change into Nike. Plus that account focused more on the making/designing of the shoes, which was where Bowerman was revolutionary.

Phil Knight spills his entire guts in this book. While reading, I was thinking, did
W. Whalin
Co-founder of Nike, Phil Knight, has a remarkable life story of starting this world-wide shoe brand. I love reading memoirs and the story has places with keen interest--yet other areas are boring and could have been easily cut. The results is something OK but NOT amazing and page-turning for the reader. The 386 pages could have been cut to something like 200 or 225 and been much better. It's OK and worth reading.
Aakanksha
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: autobiography
Wow! What a delightful read it is. Shoe Dog was in my reading list for a quite long time, but I never managed time to read it. But now I am gladsome that I read this stunning memoir. We all heard about the brand NIKE, a shoe company. But we don't know about the journey of NIKE's founders Philip Knight and Bowerman. We definitely Google some facts, but Google will not connect us to their story emotionally.

In his autobiography, Phil talks about his personal and professional life in a very subtle
Shalini Sinha
"I’d tell men and women in their mid-twenties not to settle for a job or a profession or even a career. Seek a calling. Even if you don’t know what that means, seek it. If you’re following your calling, the fatigue will be easier to bear, the disappointments will be fuel, the highs will be like nothing you’ve ever felt."

Shoe Dog is the best business memoir I've ever read and the second most influential book I've read this year so far.

In fact it's quite narrow to call it just a "business" book.
Mallika Saharia
May 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Any successful business has had its share of ups and downs which later on, makes for a absolute cracker of a story. But when narrated by an athlete with the same energy as that of Prefontaine, it can only fan your flames for pursuing your passion, in one way or the other.
Just do it.
Avolyn Fisher
May 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, 2016
After graduating from Stanford with his MBA, Phil Knight found himself back at his parents house living in his childhood room, desperately attempting to figure out what he wanted to do with his life. Faced with the question of following his dreams or finding a job that is safe, stable, and respectable. The story that unfolds from there reads more like an adventure or a quest than a story about the founding of one of the largest and most successful corporations in America. As Phil mentions, most ...more
Melania 🍒
4,15/5

I didn’t know anything about Knight before reading this, but I ended up having a special affection for him. Throughout the whole book I sensed this truthfulness in his writing , he wasn’t shy in showing his weaknesses and his miss judgments; he didn’t want to make it seems like you need some kind of super powers to build a brand as big as Nike ,or that it’s a one man job , or that you don’t need to make important sacrifices for it. And his commitment for what Nike represents,as a brand,
Janet
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When was the last time a business book made you cry?

Shoe Dog is the only business book that has EVER made me cry. Especially since I’ve gotten older and washed my hands of corporate America I've become a bit more jaded. The story of the rise of Nike as told by co-founder Phil Knight (and ghost written by J.R. Moehringer of Tender Bar fame) will have you harken back to a time when employment was a two way street of friendship and loyalty. It is *gasp* inspiring.

Tim Cook calls Shoe Dog “the
Adam Alexander
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! What an unexpectedly brilliant book. I wasn’t expecting such a thrilling emotional ride. I absolutely loved it.

You don’t have to be a business buff to enjoy Shoe Dog. Phil Knight tells the story of the birth of Nike. From an entrepreneur’s point of view, I enjoyed picking the business lessons from the story, but there’s a lot more story, people and characters than there is Business takeaways.

I got really emotional as the story reached the end.

Absolutely brilliant, highly recommend.
Prashasti
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“To study the self is to forget the self. Mi casa, su casa. Oneness—in some way, shape, or form, it’s what every person I’ve ever met has been seeking.”

The very first memoir that made me stick to it until the last page, it gives an insight into Phil Knight's life, author of this book and founder of NIKE , shows you all the uncut footage, behind-the-scenes world of building and running a legendary American multinational corporation.
It's startling to read how a young boy who once borrowed $50 in
Anvesh
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've started it and almost dropped it thinking this will be another book to just brag about achievements, boy oh boy! would have missed listening to a wonderful story. I've started reading essentially because you get to live a thousand lives like someone said and this turned out be just that.

Inspirational, riveting stuff and helps you see all the hard work that goes into glamorous stuff that appears on the outside. Another lesson for me was, debt intrinsically is not bad for a company after all
Finance Book Club: Q1 '20 Finance Book Club Selection 1 4 Jan 18, 2020 03:53PM
Review 3 33 Dec 12, 2018 08:56PM
Entrepreneurs' Or...: Best book you've read in the last 12 months? 3 38 May 24, 2018 01:24AM

• Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future
  • Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind
  • Never Split the Difference: Negotiating As If Your Life Depended On It
  • Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything
  • The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business
  • Creativity, Inc.: Overcoming the Unseen Forces That Stand in the Way of True Inspiration
  • The 4-Hour Workweek
“Don’t tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results.” 141 likes
“The cowards never started and the weak died along the way. That leaves us, ladies and gentlemen. Us.” 126 likes