Start by marking “The Strong One (Cutter's Creek #1.5)” as Want to Read:
The Strong One (Cutter's Creek #1.5)

The Strong One

(Cutter's Creek #1.5)

Sarah Songan is a woman on the run.
In an attempt to find peace with their neighbors, the Apsáalooke chief has promised her hand to a soldier at Fort Smith, and Sarah’s determined not to be traded or bartered like an ornament. She strikes out on her own, leaving behind everyone and everything she has ever known. However, a woman travelling alone in 1866 Montana territory c
Published May 14th 2016

To ask other readers questions about The Strong One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Strong One

Start your review of The Strong One (Cutter's Creek #1.5)
B. D. Mann
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Strong One is a well written clean novella with non-preachy Christian elements. I liked the way Ms. Holt describes Sarah’s transition from not knowing the Christian concept of God to having faith in Him. Well done! I was disappointed that I could not find any background for how Sarah possessed dresses and a corset in addition to her Indian buckskin clothing when she ran from her Indian home. Also, a significant story element involves the villain, Angus Colt. However, the author lays no found ...more
Clare O'Beara
This is an enjoyable historical romance. The unusual heroine is the offspring of a white man and an Indian woman, living with her tribe. After her parents have died the chief decides it would be safer for everyone if she is married off to a white soldier at the nearest fort. But our girl takes charge of her own life and leaves to find her place in the world.

Cutter's Creek is a small town with tolerant Christian folks who eventually take in this girl and look after her, but she has trouble on he
Emilee
Aug 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Novella

This is a sweet little novella. I would read another by this author. I appreciate the Christian romance even though it was very short.
Kathy Heare Watts
WAITING UPON THE LORD

I enjoyed this story that showed perseverance, determination, and faith. Sarah Songan was the child of a soldier and Indian. Both parents are deceased, and the chief feels it is best to marry Sarah off to a soldier at Fort Smith. She decides to strike out on her own rather than be traded off like a trinket. Her long journey eventually brings her to Cutter’s Creek, but she is being chased in the process by an evil man. Taken in by Estelle and Sam, she learns homemaking skills
Kari Trumbo
Sarah is on the run from a man who sees her as nothing but a means to an end. Sarah hides in the small town of Cutter's Creek where she meets Bill and he's like no man she's ever met.

I loved watching Sarah work through her own turmoil in this novella and overcome her demons. She is a strong and captivating heroine. I highly recommend this novella for readers of historical Christian romance and western romance. Another great book by Vivi Holt!
Star Shining Forever
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
It was fun to find a western that focused on a half-native woman (one is also the protagonist of my WIP). Sarah’s no damsel in distress, for the most part. Running from an arranged marriage, she encounters the drifter Bill, who saves her from the unsavory outlaw Colt. Then they fall in love on a farm.
Glaidene Ramsey
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Historical Western Romance

I liked this book very much. I enjoyed the story and I hope you will too!!!!! This is my 2nd Vivi Holt story and I will read her books again!!!!!
Marsha Keeper Bookshelf
Reviewed at Historically Romantic

Her world as she’d known it ended shortly after Sarah’s mother died. As the granddaughter of the Chief of the Crow tribe, Sarah had been given some protection while her mother lived. Now, although she was the daughter of a Crow woman and a white soldier – she’d become a liability to her mother’s people. It was being arranged that Sarah be given to a white man at a nearby settlement. And she was having none of that. She wasn’t some trinket to be bartered off. Unw
Patricia
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very nice

I received this book free from one of the book sites. I do not remember which one! This is my honest review.
This book is a sweet & clean romance. It can be read as a stand alone book. The Cutter's Creek books are written by different authors, I believe there are 4. Author Vivi Holt wrote this sweet story.
What I really like about this book is that the characters are memorable and well written. When you think about what life was like in the 1800's, there is the knowledge that women are
Elissa
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Making Her Own Way

Completely contrary to custom or tradition, Sarah chooses to ignore the dictates of the Elders and flee from her mother's people, the Crow, to make her own way among the white people of her father. The plight of the unattached woman in the 19th century West included incredible vulnerability. As she continues to flee from one situation to another, she finally reaches Cutter's Creek where she falls in with a kindly couple who take her in. But an earlier "suitor" continues to pla
Teresa
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
This novella was a delightful clean story full of hope, love and promise set in post Civil War Montana. An easy read for one sitting. Ms Holt has skillfully written a novella full of faith, suspense, twists and turns that kept me riveted to the happy ending. The characters were well developed given the length of the story. I really enjoyed it and look forward to reading more of Ms Holt's works.
ShariB
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Short, sweet, clean, spiritually uplifting romance between Sarah and Bill set in the old west. If you are looking for a sweet clean romance with our Heavenly Father's Presence this book delivers. This is my first book by this author and I plan on reading the rest of series. The author writes well and is able to draw the reader into the story using romance, familial love, agape love and some intrigue.
Tonileg
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle, western, romance
Historical Western romance with a half Native-half White young lady is starting a new life in a small American western town while falling in love with a newly arrived cowboy while being threatened by a bandit.
Miss Sarah Songan is starting a new life away from her Native American upbringing and she meets some nice people near Cutter's Creek when the romance begins with Bill Hanover and there is HEA and some crazy kidnapping episode.
154 pages and kindle freebie
2 stars
Anne Rollin
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another great addition to this series. A half breed woman is running from her tribe as well as a man who wishes to use her for illicit purposes. A cowboy who is roaming trying to find his way. Will they be able to find happiness together and learn to trust... youll have to read to find out. I recommend this book for all. Sweet clean content.
Iris Chacon
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Vick Holt never fails to entertain and uplift the reader

It was so pleasant to read a story with adventure and romance, but without the excesses of bad language, low morals or inappropriate sensuality. The characters seem to be real people of humble faith, striving to make their world a better place. Well written and engaging.
K B
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 stars
I purchased the novella Cutter's Creek Book 2: The Strong One by ViVi Holt and this review is given freely.
Mixed parentage Sarah escapes an arranged marriage by leaving her tribe and finding both refuge and love among the white people of Cutter Creek.
Sarah and Bill's sweet love story is a prayer filled, suspenseful and action packed one with a happy ending including accepting God.
Betty Johnson
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sarah Songen has to get away. She has been promised by the Indian Chief to be given to one of the soldiers at the fort to be his bride. He is doing this to help assure the peace between the indians and the military.

And so she runs away with the help of her indian friend. Read the story to follow her many adventures. A very well written story.
NoraJLeSueur
Nov 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!!!!!!!!!!!

The characters and storyline were well written. I loved the way that the characters were believable and the way that they overcame their differences. I will be reading more by this author.
InD'tale Magazine
A sweet Christian historical novella, “The Strong One” is over much too soon.

Read full review in the 2017 July/August issue of InD'tale Magazine.
Faith
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable

My rating is based purely on this being an enjoyable story. I've read books with more to the plot; books with more developed characters; however, this book was clean, sweet, and fun to read just for pleasure.
Bonnie
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Clean and heartwarming

At a time, shortly after the civil war, when prejudices were rampant, this story tells us that with God all things are possible. That true Christians could accept others as they were, and help each other to be strong whatever their background.
Lynda Knapp
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very good book.

I enjoyed reading this book and seeing Cutter's Creek again. What a wonderful place. I definitely recommend this book. I will be on the lookout for more by this author.
Linda Elliott
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A twist on the usual Mail Order Bride Books

Sarah was to be married to a soldier as a half white half Indian to smooth relationships between the two. She runs away and then adventures begin. She learns to trust, what love is & what God is and what he can do.
Pat Babcock
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Strong One

Taking charge of her life resulted in many changes in the life of Sarah. She left her native village to avoid an unwanted marriage. She found a new family and love when she stopped running.
Vicki Cretors
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Love (?) I'm the Old West

A heart-warming story of life in an old western town. Even though, as in most love stories, there are several twists and turns, this book can still hold your attention to see how the problem will be solved this time.
Gail
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Can God take two lonely hearts and bring healing and love? I loved this story with adventure, danger, romance, and a kind-hearted couple who take in a young woman on the run. A fast-paced, Cutter's Creek book that I highly recommend!
Debi
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!

I love historicals. Characters that you immediately care about. My only problem with the book is that it wasn't long enough. I didn't want it to end.
Crystal
Dec 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great read

I love this series! Bill and Sarah are such strong and fantastic characters, so full of life and vigor. I loved them!
laura m ellis
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good

Just started this series but so far I'm enjoying it this book was about believing in yourself and having faith
Donna Campbell
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable

I thoroughly enjoyed this quick, fast paced story and all of the characters. This was a really sweet, clean romance.

• New Beginnings (Cutter's Creek #2)
  • That Healing Touch (Cutter's Creek, #1)
  • A Lily Blooms (Cutter's Creek, #3)
  • Cooper (Cowboys of Ransom Creek, #3)
  • Montana Trails (Cutter's Creek #0.5)
  • The Mail-Order Bride Carries a Gun (Brides of Sweet Creek Ranch, #1)
  • This Daring Journey (Heart of the Mountains, #6)
  • Her Cowboy Hero (Rodeo Knights, #13)
  • Becoming a Family (Cutter's Creek #5)
  • Montana Untamed (Bear Grass Springs, #1)
  • A Mail-Order Heart (Miners to Millionaires, #1)
  • Second Chance Ranch (Three Rivers Ranch Romance, #1)
  • Loving a Rebel: The Preacher's Daughter (Glory, Montana #1)
  • Sanctuary (Murrells Inlet Miracles Book 1)
  • Kissed by a Cowboy 1 & 2: Sweet Cowboy Romance (Redbud Trails)
  • Hannah's Dilemma (The Mail Order Bride Express #1)
  • The Boden Birthright (The Cimarron Legacy, #0.5)
  • Texas Roads (Miller's Creek #1)
Vivi Holt writes inspirational romance. Of her books, readers say:

"The plot kept me enthralled and the pages turning"
"I cried and laughed"
"What an awesome ending. Can't wait for more!!"

Vivi lives in beautiful Brisbane, Australia with her husband and three young children. Growing up on a farm she learned to love the country life and now she writes about it in her books. History has always fascinate

Cutter's Creek (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • That Healing Touch (Cutter's Creek, #1)
  • New Beginnings (Cutter's Creek #2)
  • A Lily Blooms (Cutter's Creek, #3)
  • A Penny Shines (Cutter's Creek #4)
  • Becoming a Family (Cutter's Creek #5)
  • The Betrothed (Cutter's Creek #6)
  • Love is Blind (Cutter's Creek #7)
  • Love Conquers All (Cutter's Creek #8)
  • A Ruby Glows (Cutter's Creek #9)
  • Captivated (Cutter's Creek #10)

News & Interviews