Start by marking “The Urban Setting Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide to City Spaces” as Want to Read:
The Urban Setting Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide to City Spaces

The Urban Setting Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide to City Spaces

Making readers care and feel like they’re part of the story should be the number one goal for all writers. Ironically, many storytellers fail to maximize one of fiction’s most powerful elements to achieve this: the setting. Not only can the right location become a conduit for emotion, it can also provide conflict, characterize the story’s cast, reveal significant backstory ...more
Published June 13th 2016 by JADD Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Urban Setting Thesaurus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Urban Setting Thesaurus

JonathanT
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
One of the main things I'm working on in the third draft of my novel is giving it a better sense of setting. SO NATURALLY THIS BOOK WAS SUPER HELPFUL. I haven't used it a whole lot yet, but I can't wait to!

The only downside is that it IS a secular book, so there's a handful of sketchy locations listed. (casino, nightclub, liquor store, etc) I don't plan on ever using those pages since my characters will never be in those locations. XD Also one of the examples in the beginning pages has a few sw
K.M. Weiland
Jul 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Thorough as ever. Author advocates Ackerman and Puglisi have added yet another comprehensive guide to their wonderful Thesauri series. This one has obviously been researched with sterling care and provides authors with a quick and handy reference and/or reminder of any and all imaginable settings they might need for their latest book. (I even used it to explore ideas for an upcoming trip!)
Elise Edmonds
Jun 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
The Urban Setting Thesaurus starts with a discussion of how to use setting to assist with characterisation and back story. This leads into a section on how to use the sensory details of the setting to draw the reader into the story.

I agree with the writers that the use of setting in this way is often overlooked, with plot and characters usually being the key considerations. This section of the book has a lot of good advice on letting the setting do some work for you, and how to integrate releva
Annie Lima
Jun 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm so glad I got this handy little book! The introductory material about settings and their purpose is full of great reminders. But the best part is the actual thesaurus part, where you can look up almost any imaginable urban setting and read a detailed list of likely sights, sounds, smells, tastes, and textures & sensations. In addition, the authors include suggestions for possible sources of conflict in that location, people commonly found there, related settings that may tie in with it ( ...more
Tracey Pedersen
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The perfect writing companion. No matter where you are in your writing journey, this book series will make an immediate difference to your output.
Daniel
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I finished reading this book and I thought it was amazing. It's actually a very useful book for those who really want to improve their writing. I totally recommend it.
Harley Christensen
May 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
Good riddance to boring, one-dimensional story settings…

Creating compelling, believable settings is one of the most overlooked yet vital components of storytelling. Too little can make your story feel flat; too much can overwhelm and frustrate readers—either can potentially pull them out of the story or cause them to stop turning pages altogether.

The Urban Setting Thesaurus is part reference guide, part writing tool for developing rich city settings that will add depth to both your backstory and
Sloane Collins
Jun 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a dark and stormy night…
Eh, kind of a boring opening, right?
Right.

So any good author worth his or her salt would want a really impactful way to describe the setting, one that will draw readers into the story and keep them there. Authors want readers to feel as if they’re living the story through the point of view character’s eyes, so their experience with the book will not only be worth their time and money, but will keep them coming back for more.
This is where The Urban Setting Thesau
Hope Ann
Jun 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like their other writing Thesauruses, Angela and Becca's Urban Setting Thesauruses is a wonderful resource for any writer. Not only are dozens of settings described in up to five senses, but variations within each settings are noted, possible conflicts are recorded, and numbers of small scenes give example of how settings can be used to enhance a story. Plus, several chapters at the beginning of the book detail the power of settings and show how you can use them to further enhance your story.
Sacha Black
May 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Both the settings thesauri are fantastic. Much like the first in the series (the emotion thesaurus) it is supremely useful. I particularly like the fact each setting has accompanying suggestions on the right senses. This book is extremely generous in its quantity of different settings. If you're a new writer, this book is perfect for you to bring depth to your witting by ensuring you capture your setting adequately.
ʆɛѵi
May 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Very handy if you're waffling between certain types of settings for your scenes. Probably the most handy part is the inclusion of different senses that could be included, to avoid just vision through an entire novel. Bringing in other senses is sometimes hard and easily forgotten, so this book can help remind an author of what to add to their prose if they feel it's falling a little flat or feeling a little empty. A lot of generic locations, but a few more unusual ones.
Samantha Stroiazzo
Aug 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Though it's made to be a starter and get your own creative juices flowing, I felt it was biased and too short for the price. It didn't live up to the expectations of The Emotional Thesaurus. It still does what it was intended for which is to jump start the creative process so for that I give it a three star review.
 ★ gwiz ★
Great reference book for writing. When I see one of Ackerman and Puglisi thesaurus release I buy it. In fact if there was an automatic purchase feature I would sign up for it.
L.R. Braden
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing-craft
Ackerman and Puglisi have published an entire series of books designed to help authors create unique details. Some focus on character building, others on world building. The Urban and Rural Setting Thesauruses focus on the latter.

The main part of these books is the actual thesaurus, which lists places an author is likely to write about. Under each listing, they have included descriptive details you are likely to find in each location arranged by sense: sights, sounds, smells, tastes, textures an
Joseph Hirsch
Dec 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Comic book artists used to use something called a "morgue." It sounds a bit macabre, but the morgue was really nothing more than an alphabetized collection of images of various locations, to which a cartoonist could refer when drawing a scene, in order to give it some verisimilitude. Say, for instance, you wanted to place your character in a bowling alley or in a dentist's office, and you wanted to get the details of those two environments right (we've all been to bowling alleys or dentists' off ...more
Rebecca Allen
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed-books
I received a free copy of Angela Ackerman and Becca Puglisi’s The Urban Settings Thesaurus: A Writer’s Guide to City Spaces in exchange for an honest review. Since I'm a fan of their Emotion Thesaurus, I was excited to dive in.

The Urban Setting Thesaurus is a wonderful resource for a fiction writer! The bulk of this book and its sister craft book, The Rural Settings Thesaurus, is comprised of two-page entries describing dozens of settings that could pop up in any fiction genre — from a police c
Willow Woodford
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Urban Setting Thesaurus opens with some great suggestions on how to use setting to make your story come alive and then an entries for various settings and what they might be like. They include the sounds, smells, tastes, sensations and possible sources of conflict that might come from that setting amongst other suggestions. Again, an invaluable resource.

I have the whole set on my kindle which I can carry with me for easy reference. On the Kindle version the table of contents is linked and y
Marsha
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love all the books these two authors published thus far. With me being a country girl of meager means, this book was very helpful for writing a book with part of the setting being urban. I don't have the $ to travel to all the places I may want to write about. This book helps me create places similar to the places I would like to go. I also like Ackerman and Puglisi's blog and website. There is so much helpful information that writers can obtain from these two ladies.
Osiris Brackhaus
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Was excited about the idea, but realized I had the wrong book after reading through the table of contents - entirely centered on the USA and a few locations that US writers might deem 'exotic'. For a book that is supposed to help writers avoid using tropes and cliché descriptions, this is damning. I agree, the individual locations are well researched and described, but if you are looking for anything that helps you avoid banalities or write anything outside the US, this is not the book.
M.A. Nichols
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I love this series of books. They're great desk references for authors wanting inspiration for their writing. It helps spur new ideas and helps your writing from becoming stagnant and repetitive (just like having a regular thesaurus does for your word choice). I would highly recommend these books for anyone looking to improve their craft.
Melinda Sabo
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received this book as a prize from the authors. I loved it so much I bought the rest of the series too. Accurate and incredibly useful to the creative process and to editing, I highly recommend this book (and the others in the series).
Eric Huffbind
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
All I can say is that these sets of Thesauruses is a must for any author of fiction. It's a tool I can't live without!

Eric Huffbind
Angie
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a useful book series! I keep coming back to it time and time again.
Carol
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
very helpful guide
M.T. Bostick
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Once again, here is a wonderful book on setting descriptions. Use it when your unsure of what your setting should look like. Another great book for writers
Jennifer Price
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love every one of the books in this series they are all very useful
Leanne Beadle
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great for writing descriptions of urban areas.
Dominique Saczawa
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. The Emotion Thesaurus is the most used by me out of the series and this is a CLOSE second. MUST HAVE.
Holly Davis
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5/5!! Another must-have thesaurus which should go hand-in-hand with The Rural Setting Thesaurus. So grateful for these writing staples!!
Roger Alderman
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book always remains close by as I work on my own fiction titles.

• My Story Can Beat Up Your Story: Ten Ways to Toughen Up Your Screenplay from Opening Hook to Knockout Punch
  • Characterization and Sensory Detail (Writing Active Setting #1)
  • The Writer's Compass: From Story Map to Finished Draft in 7 Stages
  • Scrivener For Dummies
  • Story Physics: Harnessing the Underlying Forces of Storytelling
  • Planning Your Novel: Ideas and Structure (Foundations of Fiction #1)
  • Descriptionary: A Thematic Dictionary
  • The Writer's Guide to Character Traits: Includes Profiles of Human Behaviors and Personality Types
  • The Language Construction Kit
  • Police Procedure & Investigation: A Guide for Writers
  • 45 Master Characters: Mythic Models for Creating Original Characters
  • Screenwriting: The Sequence Approach
  • Complete Writer's Guide to Heroes and Heroines: Sixteen Master Archetypes
  • Forensics: A Guide for Writers
  • The Story Template: Conquer Writer's Block Using the Universal Structure of Story
  • Revision & Self-Editing: Techniques for Transforming Your First Draft Into a Finished Novel
  • Outlining Your Novel Workbook: Step-by-Step Exercises for Planning Your Best Book (Helping Writers Become Authors 2)
ANGELA ACKERMAN is a writing coach, international speaker, and co-author of 7 bestselling books for writers, including The Emotion Thesaurus: A Writer’s Guide to Character Expression (now an expanded 2nd Edition). Her books are available in six languages, are sourced by US universities, and are used by novelists, screenwriters, editors, and psychologists around the world.

Angela is also the co-foun